So who is staying on 08?

I will be, not out of choice but out of circumstance. Will you be?

Why turn a game with relatively low requirements, and well known for this into a game for those with the money, or who are lucky enough to own a killer PC? Was it really worth all this trouble, to go against the SI ethos, to draw in new shallower gamers?

Why turn a game with relatively low requirements, and well known for this into a game for those with the money, or who are lucky enough to own a killer PC? Was it really worth all this trouble, to go against the SI ethos, to draw in new shallower gamers?

lad i dont have a killer PC i got a semi decent laptop and it runs fine, so that comment really doesn't hold water.

Most likely they will not release Steam version in Japan, so I am going to buy a boxed version of FM09, which will probably be about 5-6 months from now. Just about right time because most of the bugs will be fixed, and the game will be in its most delicious time :D

Until than, I will stick with FM08.

Ozzy, why FM07 is better than 08? Everybody says that and I am wondering why. I had CM4 before FM08 so didn't play anything in between.

why FM07 is better than 08? Everybody says that and I am wondering why. I had CM4 before FM08 so didn't play anything in between.

First of all, the regens in 07 are much better than in 08. For a long game this is really important. Second is that I have a comfortabeler feeling with 07, but that's just personal.

I'm done with the demo but I will give 09 a chance with the retail patch and if it fixes most of the major bugs then I will be happy with that. I don't seem to have many of the problems others are having with the demo so not as bad for me as I am reading it is for others.

said before im not too fussed over the 3d, my biggest issue is the 2d thats available. go back to the 2d from 08 in terms of the size of pitch on screen along with getting the pop ups for fouls/offsides etc back on and that will do me fine!!! tv mode is useless and the new "classic" is far too small!

Definately going with 09, after the injuries are fixed I think it will be a fantastic game. If I were to go back - I'd go to 07 anyway which IMO was a better game the 08.

I agree. As soon as the injury (and for me, the early goal display) bug is fixed. It's gonna be all-out FMing!

staying with fm08.

they layout and overall presentation of FM gets better every year. FM09 really does look the part. Gameplay however has taken several steps back. its just not fun any more.

said before im not too fussed over the 3d, my biggest issue is the 2d thats available. go back to the 2d from 08 in terms of the size of pitch on screen along with getting the pop ups for fouls/offsides etc back on and that will do me fine!!! tv mode is useless and the new "classic" is far too small!

That's my problem with it. On classic, the edges of the circles are jagged and it doesn't look good at all. I simply can't watch that. And then in TV mode, it's glitchy and lags which is really disappointing. I won't be getting FM09 till Christmas anyway, and there will be patches and I'm sure the issues will be gone and I'll enjoy the game. So FM08 for now.

Not by choice i cant. At the moment i dont have the money to buy FM. Had a shoulder operation which cost me my job and benifits hardly cover the bills. Back on Job seekers now and struggling even more and no one wants to hire me because ive been out of work for 8 months

I'll stay with 08 for now, mainly as I have a good save going, and am really enjoying it. Typical when I started it a month before the new game!

I think 09 has plenty of potential though, main concern is how long the matches take. Once I learn my way around all the options and menus think it'll be fine though. May wait to guage peoples reactions and look at getting a copy later on in the year.

Guys - especially those playing 08 - one of the reasons I never moved up from 07 is down to the 'Confidence Bug'. As far as I know, if you take over a struggling team mid-season and the original manager had been expected to, for example, gain promotion; you'll get shafted at the end of the season because you didnt get promotion. Is that still the case with the latest patch? That would stop me playing 08 (in fact it was one of the reaons I didnt buy the game).

Thinking of starting a new game of 07, maybe in lower league or in another country, and waiting for SI to bring 09 up to scratch (I said that last year too!). Doh. At least 07 is proving value for money :D

Yea properly the same here. 08 is the better game until they fix all this crazy shizzle.

Seconded. Sticking with 08, might consider getting 09 if the patch(es) smooth things out. With me, it's basically a case of a messy 3D engine, and the whole game being a system hog, even when on 2D. My specs are Windows XP MCE SP3, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel Pentium M 2.13ghz processor, nVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX 256MB graphics card. It can play stuff like Oblivion with all the settings maxed no problem, and yet it shudders and stutters on such a seemingly simplistic 3D engine on FM09, and lags and clunks in the UI. It feels like the code just hasn't been optimized. If they can fix this, then I might get it, but I'll have to see what everyone elses reaction is on the forums here.

I just feel sorry for the people who buy the game but have no internet access and therefore can't get the patch, or don't know about it. There are some shops who now have a policy of not accepting returns if you've opened the cellophane. And if they found the patch in a PC magazine, they're going to have to pay £5 for the privilege for something that should be free. :(

I just feel sorry for the people who buy the game but have no internet access and therefore can't get the patch, or don't know about it. There are some shops who now have a policy of not accepting returns if you've opened the cellophane. And if they found the patch in a PC magazine, they're going to have to pay £5 for the privilege for something that should be free. :(

Jesus wept.

Guys - especially those playing 08 - one of the reasons I never moved up from 07 is down to the 'Confidence Bug'. As far as I know, if you take over a struggling team mid-season and the original manager had been expected to, for example, gain promotion; you'll get shafted at the end of the season because you didnt get promotion. Is that still the case with the latest patch? That would stop me playing 08 (in fact it was one of the reaons I didnt buy the game).

Thinking of starting a new game of 07, maybe in lower league or in another country, and waiting for SI to bring 09 up to scratch (I said that last year too!). Doh. At least 07 is proving value for money :D

Confidence is still a prob,no matter what the patch in 08. its mainly because of the cups. Most prem teams they expect you to go far in the league cup, which you may not be too bothered about, and when you get a tough draw this is taken into account.

Ah, I see. I could handle the cup expectations, but can you be sacked for not gaining promotion if, at the start of the season, the board expected it from another manager? Amazed that was never fixed if it's still the case.

Ah, I see. I could handle the cup expectations, but can you be sacked for not gaining promotion if, at the start of the season, the board expected it from another manager? Amazed that was never fixed if it's still the case.

I can't help you with that, sorry. the only game I've really got going with is Arenal so not come across that. I think i've seen people complaing about being judged on signings that have been made by previous managers for a future date though.

I'll give you an example of the confidence I've had - As Arsenal, I won the league, they were happy. Won league cup, it was expected. Out in Champions League quarters to Barca, who went on to win. They moaned about it for rest of the year.

Its annoying, but can be ignored. If you perform ok, you'll survive, and if you don't perform, maybe you deserve to be sacked!

Thanks for the info neilb242

Not quite sure I could ignore that though, sensitive FM player you see...

Oh how I'd love to be just a season behind the latest game :) If the first patch is decent, I may be playing 09 sooner rather than later.

Killer PC? My PC can run Football Manager 2009 fine and it's around 4 years old and you could probably buy it for £200. You do not need a killer pc to run Football Manager 2009, stop creating ******** and look at the facts first.

I am sticking with 07 personally. Didn't get along with 08 that well then lost the disc. 09 seems to be another step in the same direction. I just don't enjoy team talks, press conferences etc and this seems to be where the efforts have been concentrated in terms of new features recently.

As someone who has bought every CM/FM since CM1 my decision to give this a miss is actually playing on my mind a bit. Feels like the end of an era.

Spikey, I kind of see your point but I like the additional interactions. I do think they need more variation and to account for more situations but thats just me. I am somewhat downhearted about the possiblity of skipping 09, I'm undecided, but skipping two years in a row! I feel like I'm playing spectrum game in 07 now :)

Just loaded the old game up, and its amazing how much quicker and cleaner moving between screens is. It feels so much more robust and polished (especially with patches and community skin).

Ikoru, there have been reportedy some issues with 3D performance if you'd have cared to read through the big first-impressions thread. I'm certain that it won't be an issue for all users and the news has certainly gone under against other, more widespread, bugs but that doesn't mean they don't exist. This is most definitely a code issue for some configurations (or drivers or software or whatever is the cause of it) and not a general performance issue.

On topic: I only just begun a new career with FM08 and no matter what, I'll be continuing that one for a couple of seasons maybe. FM09 will be bought ... but with the bugs in it, I probably won't start a long career game anytime soon. Dabbling for a season or two with different teams to get to know the game, maybe.

Ikoru, there have been reportedy some issues with 3D performance if you'd have cared to read through the big first-impressions thread. I'm certain that it won't be an issue for all users and the news has certainly gone under against other, more widespread, bugs but that doesn't mean they don't exist. This is most definitely a code issue for some configurations (or drivers or software or whatever is the cause of it) and not a general performance issue.

On topic: I only just begun a new career with FM08 and no matter what, I'll be continuing that one for a couple of seasons maybe. FM09 will be bought ... but with the bugs in it, I probably won't start a long career game anytime soon. Dabbling for a season or two with different teams to get to know the game, maybe.

I have read most of these threads and the main problem comes from people with intergrated graphics cards, you should never touch anything with an intergrated graphics card.

I haven't been too impressed with the demo (it's pretty de-motivating for me to play with my youngsters all the time due to constant injuries in the first-team, and players that never close down no matter what i do), but knowing myself i will probably buy the game. If i don't like it after the first patch then i will probably bin '09 and go back to '08.

Been a long time since i've had that feeling like i'm playing it just to do something, and not because i really want to play it.

Killer PC? My PC can run Football Manager 2009 fine and it's around 4 years old and you could probably buy it for £200. You do not need a killer pc to run Football Manager 2009, stop creating ******** and look at the facts first.

Exactly. If the game isnt working on ur pc then its ur pc thats the problem and is buggy

It was fixed, but the issue would pop up if you don't fix it in a couple of months, like Juande Ramos style. I didn't find it a big deal, you didn't need to overachieve to keep the board happy at the very least.

Archived