When Starting a New Game, Does Anyone...

skip the whole of the first season and start from the beginning of the second season?

I have just started a new save and decided to do this, then, when the new season came round, I looked at all the tables and then decided which team I would be doing, I then added new manager for this then retired with the original manager, that way, the team hasn't already spent loads of money in the summer window, I can sell any player I want! (no ''no one is interested because the player recently signed for your club'')

anyone else done/do this or considering it?

P.S. I haven't actually started it yet, so there is still time for you to change my mind for good reasons ;)

I do it, but not just one season, I usually do 3 or 4, then this way a few new players are in the game, and other players have started to develop.

It also means i'm not tempted in starting a game, signing the same players etc.

Lastly, it's good for deciding who to be, as you can see who has been poor over a 36 or 48 month period.

I did for the first time this FM. After a bug ruined my long term save I couldn't be bothered starting again. I chose a different club and holidayed around 18 months and added my manager. Was easier to get into the game and had an intake of youth too. I found in previous FMs I would sign the same players if I had to start again, so it's good for something different.

I thought about doing it quite a few times but have never done it. I can see why some people do it because every year it comes to a time when I buy the same old players every save. Maybe I'll give it a go sometime before FM13.

I have only done it to wait for a team to be promoted, I dont start enough new saves to really understand who the best prospects are anyway and I always start off low, so I cant buy the best prospects anyway.

After the last patch is released, I start with the later Swedish start date, this year it is Feb 2012, to prevent any major transfer movement. Holiday until the end of the season and take over a club.

Never done it & don't really understand the attraction of doing this. Go into a club then go on holiday for a year? Maybe get relegated? No, don't see it.

I do try to avoid signing for the same players though.

Never done it & don't really understand the attraction of doing this. Go into a club then go on holiday for a year? Maybe get relegated? No, don't see it.

I do try to avoid signing for the same players though.

I start as an unemployed manager and let the AI managers control the first season. Then add a new manager and take over a club after the first season is complete. I actually only do this when the season is over in real life.

A few times for one season, once when doing one of the 'small club to big club' challenges, once when starting FM11 (for a range of reasons, including not wanting to have the same teams unemployed at the start on every save), and once when falling foul of an un-passable crash dump point in July 2010 at the start of FM 09 (a known problem for those running Serie C1), and deciding to skip that year when starting again. I wasn't going to go with the same club but having taken them to promotion in the original season they had gone up again so it worked well as a sort of 'continuation' of the career anyway. Those are rare exceptions among numerous saves over the year though.

The last few times I have started a new game I have holidayed 5 seasons into the future. This is the time where the first batch of regens are 20-21 years old, starting to make an impact in the game world. Most of the overpaid elders are gone and the club economies are more balanced, plus, as the OP said, all the "recently signed" players added in the patches are now club veterans and there are thus fewer problems with team gelling (which is annoying the first season after the third patch).

At that point you might as well just select not to play with real players :p

When you do that the players are still based on real players. If you holiday 20 seasons they won't be.

In some of the older FMs I would holiday till the summer of 2017 and start there because that's when I would be old enough to have my real age in the game :D

I haven't done it, but I wish I had thought of it before I started my newest game.

I started with a new transfer update, and so the majority of my team are brand new (as in players that are new this season, and those that have now been there for a season, are all in their first season. As people have said, it would be good to be able to get rid of some high earners but I'll have to wait!)

Only if I wanted a new team to come up like RB Leipzig but other than that I can't

I do it for the reason quoted. I often start career saves with teams newly promoted from unplayable leagues at the end of season one, my most enjoyable being with FC United of Manchester and RB Leipzig, both on FM11. Didn't get into FM12 until recently because of my RBL save, so started as Athletic as they still present something of a challenge but in a shorter time period.

For FM13 I'll begin with a holidayed team again - Enfield Town from the Ryman Premier - as they are my local team. I've been waiting ages for them to get promoted into a holiday-promotion league as I don't like using edited DB's. :)

I do it every save and i love it. i usually take a newly promoted team after that and i am free to buy/sell players i want and although you wil miss out on some of the cheap starting players the relegated teams from the first season always provide some good players to pick up i just started a new save with swansea today actually and the season buffer gave me a chance to start fresh and put my own stamp on the team.

I can't remember the last time I didn't holiday the first season

I think I have being doing Dafuge's challenge since 2007/08

And now I'm doing Ri916's Youth Challenge

I'm really struggling to remember when I started a game from the beginning. It's a long time anyway

Archived