Group C: Spain vs Italy, KO: 5pm Sunday

Leppard

spanien.png vs italy_1.jpg

Venue: Arena Gdansk

Team News

Spain have come into the tournament without the injured duo of defender Carles Puyol and striker David Villa. As such, either Sergio Ramos or Raul Albiol will partner Gerard Piqué at center-back, while manager Vicente del Bosque has left everyone wondering whether he will field Fernando Torres, Fernando Llorente or Alvaro Negredo up front.

Italy's main injury concern is at the heart of their defence. With Andrea Barzagli out with a calf injury, midfielder Daniele De Rossi is set to drop in at center-back alongside Giorgio Chiellini.

Manager Quotes

Vicente del Bosque: "We have an aim that no-one has ever achieved before and that is beautiful. We do have a lot of pressure because there is a lot of optimism that surrounds us. But we are accustomed to the pressure because we are defending the title and we are world champions. However, we cannot think that we are out of this world and we are going to win. It would be a huge mistake to have that attitude."

Cesare Prandelli: "Spain are very strong but we have beaten them and no team is invincible. I have a team with character, quality and willingness. They will probably have more possession and will cause us problems but when Italy play football as we know we can, we can fully challenge a team like Spain."

Possible line-ups

Spain: Casillas; Arbeloa, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso; Silva, Torres, Iniesta

Italy: Buffon; Chiellini, De Rossi, Bonucci; Motta, Marchisio; Giaccherini, Pirlo, Maggio; Cassano, Balotelli

Previous meeting

ilgoldimontolivo_430636.jpg

Italy 2 - 1 Spain (Friendly)

-----------------------------

'mon Spain!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't people remember the Euro 2008 QF between these two?

120 goalless minutes, absolutely turgid stuff. Italians playing for penalties from the first whistle.

Can't see anything today but 0-0, a narrow 1-0 win or at a push a 1-1 draw. Neither side inclined to really go for it with two supposedly easier games to come.

Conundrum. I'm a fan of the way the Spanish won the last tournaments, but 3rd time in a row would simply be too many.

But then again Italy... I don't think I'll ever learn to love or like them, but I'll give them a fair chance this time around, the last time they got humiliated so thoroughly I can live with them putting in a good effort. If they play in a respectable way.

Guess I'll be a truly neutral viewer for this match.

Put your house on fewer than 2.5 goals

Not sure about that...

Italy will likely play a 3-5-2 with Bonucci-De Rossi-Ogbonna as a very shaky, unexperienced and frankly nightmarish defensive line. Also the wingbacks will be Maggio and Giaccherini who are awful at defending.

If Spain manage to run at that defense instead of trying to walk the ball into the net, it's NOT gonna be a low scoring game... And even if Spain don't play differently, Italy's backthree can be opened up rather easily.

aha Giaccherini to start, excellent.

Not sure about that...

Italy will likely play a 3-5-2 with Bonucci-De Rossi-Ogbonna as a very shaky, unexperienced and frankly nightmarish defensive line.

You dropped the best defender.

He's my captain, so unlucky mate

My captain aswell. Don't care about this league, there's a couple others i want to win. The first 2 days have been shocking. If only Robben but a couple of chances Sneijder created. :(

aha Giaccherini to start, excellent.

Couldn't disagree more...

Giaccherini is mid-table Serie A material... Italy are in deep deep trouble if they had to resort to use him as a starter

You dropped the best defender.

Chiellini isn't 100% fit and his presence in the starting lineup wasn't confirmed until today

Couldn't disagree more...

Giaccherini is mid-table Serie A material... Italy are in deep deep trouble if they had to resort to use him as a starter

Chiellini isn't 100% fit and his presence in the starting lineup wasn't confirmed until today

I don't think he's keeping anyone noteworthy out of the team, Criscito would have changed it. De Rossi's performance will be more important.

My captain aswell. Don't care about this league, there's a couple others i want to win. The first 2 days have been shocking. If only Robben but a couple of chances Sneijder created. :(

I've had Kerzhakov and RvP as captain in the first two games :D

Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba, X.Alonso, Busquets, Silva, Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc

Buffon, Bonucci, De Rossi, Chiellini, Maggio, Marchisio, Pirlo, T.Motta, Giaccherini, Balotelli, Cassano

Spain no striker?

That's funny considering how boring they were in the world cup.
Xavi was exasperated.

"What did people think," the midfielder asked. "That we were going to win every game 3-0? I can't believe what I am hearing sometimes. Do you not realise how hard it is? Teams aren't stupid. We're European champions, they all pressure us like wolves. There isn't a single metre, not a second on the pitch. Always 10 men behind the ball putting pressure on."

If Chelsea (and the USA circa 2009) showed us anything Spain might crumble when they're faced with a bus

Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba, X.Alonso, Busquets, Silva, Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc

Buffon, Bonucci, De Rossi, Chiellini, Maggio, Marchisio, Pirlo, T.Motta, Giaccherini, Balotelli, Cassano

This has 1-0 Italy on the counter written all over it now. Spain will be too narrow to penetrate the Italians.

I don't think he's keeping anyone noteworthy out of the team, Criscito would have changed it. De Rossi's performance will be more important.

Meh, Criscito isn't *that* great either... but at least he wasn't playing Serie B football two seasons ago...

I agree there's not so much to choose from at the moment, but that's part of a long-term problem Italy have had.

Archived