Ever sacked your assistant manager?

I was in third season with Spurs and the EPL title has eluded us in first two(it was close though) and then started the new season and all of a sudden we have 1 point in three games. So, something needs to change, I sack Tony Coton who has been all in all is a good advisor, and have hired Tito Vilanova. He's cool too, only thing was his level of discipline (ingame obviously) as he prefers hard tackling but so I have change that to normal heh. Also splashed the cash on Eden Hazard (50 millions euros). Anyway, we were stil underachieving ten rounds into the season, but managed to turn it around later on and become the champions.

So anyone sacked their assistant manager during the season? Tony did okay though, got a job at Aston Villa a season later as assistant manager and they finished 4th, getting into CL.

One more question, I have the assistant advice automatically set before the game, but one thing I've noticed is that I don't get any opposition instructions during the game. Tactical and comments on my players yeah, but no advice "tight mark that player" during the match, only pre.

Do you still get that advice when in a match or is it only pre-match?

Sacked a couple in FM 11 and had good results.

Hadnt thought about advice in match, but now you mention it, Snodin at Leeds doesnt suggest closing down etc during matches. He did offer good advice in FM 11 though.

Just thought he maybe wasnt as good in FM12.

I haven't sacked one, but for the first time I had an assistant hired away as a manager elsewhere. Mike Phelan took the manager's job at Swansea mid season of my second season at ManU. I went out and hired Napoli's assistant (can't remember his name off the top of my head, but it's definitely an Italian name) because of his 18 in man management, motivation, and very respectable ratings for current and potential ability. I've been on a great run since I hired him, which I attribute partly to his pre-match OI's. They always seem to be very effective.

yes

In FM 10 I was managing Steaua Bucharest, and Mirel Radoi somewhat an icon for Steaua decided to retire, he had good stats, so I hired him as assistant manager, I fired him after 1 month because all the players hated him and they were very very unhappy

I sacked my assistant at Portsmouth after helping us to two league titles and an FA cup, replaced him with a group of my chelsea mates. Got a few more league title and a european cup after that. Just replaced my assistant for Brazil with Juliano Belletti after qualifying for the world cup, his OIs were crap and I got fed up changing them.

I use the assistant mostly as a star rating tool, so I don't blame him for anything. The one I have now with Bradford says "for the fans" every match so I guess if it was up to him I would still play in L2 season 3 instead of The Championship.

Edit: but yes, I have fired my assistant many times because of ridiculous press conferences. Tony Coton was excellent for me FM11 because he was "very catious" so his press conferences were always restrained and realistic. I found out that Balanced and lower playing mentality was a necessity for my team talks to work in FM11. With the new team talk UI this is not necessary anymore.

The one I have now with Bradford says "for the fans" every match so I guess if it was up to him I would still play in L2 season 3 instead of The Championship.

After a crushing defeat at the hands of the big guns (I can never catch a break against the top 6), with ratings of 5.9 or less and a performance more cringeworthy than Alan Partridge, all my coaches say "Tell the players that their efforts were excellent" when they just weren't. They were diaboloical.

Depends on my requirements and what I can get due to my reputation.

I almost always fire staff right off when I get into a club at the start.

I fired my previous assistant to get an assistant that was more tactical savy, but wasn't too good at spotting potentials and current ability. I figured I got scouts for those things and set the assistant to handle talks about how my players should treat specific opposing team members. The one I fired got a job later on as a manager in a lower division club, and still liked me, so it seems things were ok with him :)

Ofc it took a while before my new assistant got to know my players (My club is in Denmark, he was from Mexico). He seems to be doing a decent job now, but his contract is nearing an end, so I guess it's time for me to get some new blood in that spot as my clubs reputation has risen since my last hiring ;) Getting a bit tiring not being able to trust his recomendations about players too, but I can't flaw his tactical advice during matches, given that I somehow magically was able to control Barcelona in my champions cup group matches (one 0-0 draw and one 0-1 win. Yes, the win was at Barcelonas stadium...)

• 5 months later...

Yeah I've done it. I recently took over Liverpool & sacked Steve Clark. I replaced him with Terry McDermott who has very good stats and from what I Can gather from reading various posts on the forum he's generally regarded as the best assistant by most people.

I hired Alessandro Del Piero as AM (in 2018?), as I was managing Juventus, and he is a club legend there, after all. Did well for many years, helping me with press conferences and team talks, he was pretty good allround. But every now and then I thought his team talk advice was poor, and tactically he wasn't always helpful. So after more than a decade IIRC I let his contract expire, and found a man with no reputation, only lower league playing experience, no experience as a top level assistant, but an amazing football brain. Great tactical advice, and he's a media-friendly model pro, 20 attacking, 20 defending, 20 tactical, disciplined, can motivate, has an eye for talent... Yeah.

And he managed my U20s to a 38-0-0 season last year (see the "My God this Assistant Manager" thread)! I think I got the right man.

I replace mine every 2 seasons or so to keep things fresh!

likewise, when it comes to renegiotiating their contract and they want more money, i let them go.

although my save at the minute i've got mikael silvestre, whose stats are excellent and we've had 3 good seasons since he came in, so I'll prob keep him for a bit longer

I've sacked two during my current save, and both have been while i've been at Sunderland.

I kept Steve Round while at Everton up until I left (then he got the manager's job when I departed), then when I took over at Sunderland one of the first things I did was sort myself out a new Ass Man. I managed to get Sammy Lee who was without a club and kept him until this summer where i've completely reshuffled my backroom and coaching staff and brought in some fresh faces. Well, with the exception of Steve Round who once again will be my assistant.

I managed Counago in the twilight of his career and he had me as favoured personnel, so i hired him as my assman for sentimental reasons and have taken him from Darlington, to Southend, to Sampdoria as well as Armenia, Denmark, Canada and finally England. He really isn't good enough for any of those positions, so i'm thinking of firing him from England, as I've noticed since his appointment we have lost 4 in a row which, in my in-the-bath pres conferences i've decided to blame him for. Who needs friends anyway?

Quite a few times I've sacked my manager. Never any serious repercussions.

I go on holiday for all my games so my Assman talks all the team talks. I sack him if he comes out with too much post match drivel.

One of the most important attributes I look for in the Assman is his scouting ability, since he always has the final say as to whether the player is any good when he joins the club.

In FM11 I had Torres as my assistant after he retired from playing, he had great staff attributes. Then in real life he went and joined Chelsea and I couldn't bear to see his name all the time, so I sacked him and promoted Carra. He'll never leave.

Aside from getting rid of the assistant manager when I take over a club, generally not. The only time I've done so was when my old AM refused to negotiate a contract for no reason, did nothing for a season, and was willing to come back the next!

It did help that in the meantime my replacement AM tended to annoy players.

As long as I don't start at a big club, I usually fire the entire backroom staff. I like having "my guys" and I can usually find better than the rubbish that people employ down there.

Yes I did it once when I was a non league club. I decided to go for a player on a free who was better than the rest of my squad. The next day I got a news item saying 'Transfer Story Leaked'. The trouble was he was my only member of staff at that point so I sacked him on the spot.

I always understood that the transfer story leaks were the players agent trying to spark a bidding war for his client rather than your staff shafting you.

Say what, you holiday all your matches? So you are like the business manager of the team, or what?

Absolutely not bold Achilles!

I have been playing this game a LOT since 2006 & am pretty much not interested in watching the whole game. So, I pick the team, set the tactics, then go on hols for 24 hrs whilst Assman sits on the bench & gives the boys the pep talks. Post match I watch the goal highlights, which is enough ME for me! I am pretty successful too & get through the game years pretty quickly.

In a nutshell, I would rather spend my time building up a good team & being successful, rather than watch the games & frustrate myself with those terrible responses to team talks.

Each to his own, eh?

My assistant manager's been with me for over 20 years through 3 clubs. There are better ones out there especially at the level I'm now at, but no way I'm sacking him. Just one of those quirky things for me, I'm a highly loyal person, ultimately to my detriment but I don't care.

Archived