Has anyone successfully had a player retire and stay on as a coach?.

I have Liverpool and am in season 2012/2013 with Jamie Carragher in the last year of his contract at £85k+ a week. In my first season 2010/2011 he accepted an offer as a player/coach and has the relevant attributes for a player and as a coach. Based on previous experience ie Maxi Rodriguez also in contracts final year who I wanted to extend his contract by two years but his agent was asking stupid money and so I will have to let him go at the end of the season. Because of this I am reluctant to offer Jamie Carragher an extension as am not going to continue to pay him £85k+ a year as a coach. My question therefore is, does anyone have any game experience in this. As I see it, if I offer him a new contract as a player I may offend him by refusing a big money deal, however if I let his contract run out I risk offending him for not renewing it. Can I offer him a coaching contract which will kick in on the expiry of his existing contract?. Has anyone ever had a similar experience and how did you resolve it?.

I offered Majstorovic a contract as a player/coach on his player wages when he got his staff profile, then when he's about to retire and sacks his agent offered him a coach contract on around the same wages as my other coaches which he accepted.

on an old man utd save i waitied till scholes neville van der sar and giggs contract where a couple of months away form expiring then i offered them straight coaching contracts, still had to pay around 20,000 a week but got my men in the end.

currently on my blyth save i have taken a few ex players on as coaches but i le themeave the club and retire to take up coaching/scouting roles then offered them contracts. one of the players was my most expensive signing as a player at a whopping 100 pounds. funnily enough he got homesick and left for 4.5k a few months later but now i have him back on the payroll :)

on an old man utd save i waitied till scholes neville van der sar and giggs contract where a couple of months away form expiring then i offered them straight coaching contracts, still had to pay around 20,000 a week but got my men in the end.

currently on my blyth save i have taken a few ex players on as coaches but i le themeave the club and retire to take up coaching/scouting roles then offered them contracts. one of the players was my most expensive signing as a player at a whopping 100 pounds. funnily enough he got homesick and left for 4.5k a few months later but now i have him back on the payroll :)

Nope, never. I won't keep players around long enough because they always seem to want stupid wages even when there 33-34 and won't be playing much first team football. The club always comes first.

I tried to get Lucio to sign a coaching contract at Man City, but he left because I had too many coaches. He only wanted wages around 3k I think, so would've been around the average wage of my coaches. However, those were the wages he wanted once his contract expired.

I kept Torres on at Liverpool as player/first team coach on high wages (about £100k), then he retired from playing and continued coaching, so I offered him a new job as AssMan (he had very good attributes) and on a much lower wage (about 20k) which he accepted. Also got Gerrard to stay on as a coach in a similar way.

But then Torres went to Chelsea in real life and my board wouldn't let me sack him because he'd just signed a contract, so I stopped playing that game.

Yeah, it is possible. It took me about 4 years to move Owen Hargeaves from his £40k/week to £15/week as a player coach, and he only gave up on being a player when I refused to play him in any games.

He was manager of the reserve side, and wouldn't even pick himself.

On old FM versions it was possible to sign them as coaches as soon as they retire at realistic wages, ie around 1k/week... I'm talking FM 09/08.. I remember getting Raul as a coach after he retired in my Madrid save and Giggsy, Scholsy, Neville as coaches in my United save...

I tried doing that in FM 10 and FM 11, but somehow the players want astronomical figures as wages.. An easy way out could be offering them coach release clauses.. though havent tried that...

Ledley King turned into one of my best coaches on FM 10 and I was seriously contemplating promoting him to Asst. Manager when I gave up that game. When the player profile says they're thinking about taking up coaching on retirement say you think they would make a good coach. When they say, "I could start now if you want," agree and their staff attributes become visible. If you want, and you've got a staff place free, you could offer them a player/coach contract straight away, or you could take the approach I did with King of playing him less until he announces he intends to retire and then offer him a staff job if he's good enough.

I've found it's often possible to run down players' careers by offering them "rotation" status with lower weekly wages but substantial appearance money and a contract with "one year extension after x games" clause, and when they aren't playing enough they usually take the hint and announce plans to retire.

Yeah, it is possible. It took me about 4 years to move Owen Hargeaves from his £40k/week to £15/week as a player coach, and he only gave up on being a player when I refused to play him in any games.

He was manager of the reserve side, and wouldn't even pick himself.

£15 per week? Wow, he must have been desperate for work.

Ledley King turned into one of my best coaches on FM 10 and I was seriously contemplating promoting him to Asst. Manager when I gave up that game. When the player profile says they're thinking about taking up coaching on retirement say you think they would make a good coach. When they say, "I could start now if you want," agree and their staff attributes become visible. If you want, and you've got a staff place free, you could offer them a player/coach contract straight away, or you could take the approach I did with King of playing him less until he announces he intends to retire and then offer him a staff job if he's good enough.

I've found it's often possible to run down players' careers by offering them "rotation" status with lower weekly wages but substantial appearance money and a contract with "one year extension after x games" clause, and when they aren't playing enough they usually take the hint and announce plans to retire.

Thanks for all the replies guys but especially to GKL206 as his solution seems like a plan to me.

I have Malouda, Anelka, Benayoun, Drogba as assistant, Carvalho, Ballack and Terry as my england assistant and chelsea youth coach.

In my head I feel my regens train better knowing they are being trained by the same players they grew up watching, call me odd but i dont care.

in my Lazio save I wanted Rocchi as coach but he didn't want to retire so I waited till his contract runs out but suddenly 1 week before expiration he sacked his agent and I was able to offer him 1,5k coach contract and at the start of next month, he is my coach :D

Haha, I meant £15k/week. He was desperate to stay on as a player - he refused to retire until he turned 40.

Former Roma midfielder Damiano Tommasi once offered to play for Roma for just 1,500 euro a month after he came back from injury stating his love for the club!

Currently have Stephen Carr (36 years old) as my player/coach on 6.25k p/w, hope to sign him on as a coach, he started off as a 4 star tactics coach, wonder if he can improve on that? :D

Barry Ferguson is retiring from football this season, Jiranek is also retiring (haven't checked to see if he wants a staff role, sent him out on loan last season)

i try to keep retiring players on but sometimes it doesnt work out due to the players greed, if they cant be loyal then neither can i, what i would like to see tho purely for cosmetic reasons is to offer them roles as club ambassadors

Robbie Fowler, Emile Mpenza and Miroslav Klose are all on my coaching staff after retiring.

Tried to get Given as well, but the daft git wanted to be my assistant and he was barely good enough to be a coach.

Also have Steve Stone and Peter Beardsley, but they start at the club.

My backroom staff now includes:

1st Team Coach

Steve Stone

Danny Shittu

Knwankwo Kanu

Robbie Fowler

GK Coach

Fabien Barthez

Gianluigi Buffon

Robert Green

Coach

Emile Mpenza

Miroslav Klose

Jermaine Defoe

Peter Beardsley

Youth coach

Ryan Giggs

Salif Diao

Scout

Pierre van Hooijdonk

Stephane Chapuisat

John Bosman

Also lost Rafael van der Vaart to Arsenal :(

In a Leverkusen save I had both Michael Ballack and Sami Hyppia as player/coaches, eventually becoming just coaches. My favorite was Ballack as a player/coach giving me pre-match advice that I should drop him from the lineup due to poor form.

I never managed to retain a player as a coach. Not in Fm11, Fm10, Fm09, Fm08, Fm07....

It's probably because I am reluctant to keep 35 year olds as players / coaches on £30k a week.

I've seen players retire and become coaches but they rarely were interested in signing a coaching contract with me. It's either that, or they demanded unjustly huge salaries - I'm talking about sums of money as high as the wages of some of my first team players.

In repsonse to the OP, on my Liverpool save I managed to keep Gerrard & Carragher on as a coaches but I think there is a bit of a knack to it.

I had to wait until they only had 6 months left on their player contracts when they hit around 33/34, then give them a private chat and suggest a future playing role as coaches. They then agreed and had staff profiles automatically appear. Then wait until they have 2/3 months left on their playing contracts and offer them player / coach roles. They will then accept 1 year deals on about £15-£20k per week instead of £80k+ player contracts.

Whack them in the reserves for that year, using them sparingly in the first team and by christmas they will announce their retirement from playing at the end of the season due to a lack of playing time. At the end of that season, you can offer them full time coaching roles for <£10k per week.

Archived