Corner cheat doesnt make ANY difference!

Ok, just a quick one really.

The game works out the result of the match before it even starts, say 2-1.

So, what im saying is your team is going to score 2 goals in that particular match no matter if you use the corner cheat or not.

If you are, there is a chance one (or two) of your goals will come from corners, if your not using the cheat, the 2 goals will just come another way.

Agree?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by alstonrick:

So, what im saying is your team is going to score 2 goals in that particular match no matter if you use the corner cheat or not.

If you are, there is a chance one (or two) of your goals will come from corners, if your not using the cheat, the 2 goals will just come another way.

Agree?

I couldn't agree less.

In the 10th minute, why dont you switch to a 0-0-10 formation, and watch what happens.

Yes, obviously, then as soon as you hit confirm the game re-calculates the end result and the way the goals go in are pretty random.

I think some people think (would like to believe) this game is more in-depth than it is. IMO of course

i can only hope to god that this man only plays football manager and doesnt have coaching badges.

Could you imagine the post match team talk?

"its ok boys its already been decided we are going to win 2-1 both goals will come from corners"

In the 10th minute, why dont you switch to a 0-0-10 formation, and watch what happens.

Yes, obviously, then as soon as you hit confirm the game re-calculates the end result and the way the goals go in are pretty random.

I think some people think (would like to believe) this game is more in-depth than it is. IMO of course

Think you just answered your own question. You say at the beginning the result is worked out in aadvance and here you say the game recalculates the score according to what actions the player takes.....AGREE?? icon_biggrin.gif

Mebee he just means for all those people who take their enjoyment out of whatever part of FM it is they enjoy, but who just whiz through the actual games in commentary mode without making a single substitution or tactical change throughout the whole match icon_razz.gif

Agree?

Disagree. The game doesn't just calculate the result before hand, it calculates the entire match, pass by pass, shot by shot etc. If you use the corner cheat, you 'cheat' corners will be simmed as part of this calculation and you'll score more goals from them.

icon_confused.gif cant you lot just play the game instead of believing that games are worked out before they kick off

If that was the case if you took a small side say east stirling and took them to a european cup finaly(eventualy lol) that it was all planed from the minute you took over.

i totally to disagree.

if your point is true, before your next game save it, like on the actual day so no injuries can occur, then play the game and dont alter your tactics at all. then note down the result and reload your save from before the match, replay the match with the exact same team talks and no changes in tactics and again note down the result. do this a lot of times then post your results and we'll see whos right

PaulC (who wrote the match engine) has confirmed numerous times that the matches are calculated before kickoff. It uses a small random element, so reloading the game will give you potentially different results each time. And if you make any kind of tactical changes or subs, the match is recalculated from that point onwards with the changes in place.

It has to be done this way to allow highlights to be generated. Think of it this way, how would the game know if the next chunk of play is worthy of being a highlight if it didn't already know what was going to happen during that chunk of play?

Maybe so bigdunk but that still leaves the original posters logic flawed. You are going to score 2 goals because it has taken into account your corner cheat before the match. Not it thinks that would be a good way for you to score them.

I find that the corner cheat means my centre-backs will score about an average of 3 or 4 a season, rather than none a season. And that's as dramatic as it gets for me. If anything, all the corner cheat does is make it a bit more realistic. I've not yet found that it leads to one of my centre-backs scoring more than about five in a season.

Then you clearly haven't found the right player. I did it for a season when it first appeared as an idea on this forum and my CD scored 32 goals in a season, all from corners. So naturally I stopped using it because it's just ridiculous. It makes Diablo look like a realistic tactic icon_biggrin.gif

sorry to disappoint you all but SI have said that the results are calculated once you click confirm after you have selected your team and tactics.

so for example, once you've sorted out your tactics and formation and click confirm it calculates a score. then you click play, if you decide to change your tactics or make a sub etc, during the game it will re-calculate the outcome of your changes again once you click confirm. this happens as many times as you change your tactics or make subs until the match is finished.

that is how the game works. end of.

thats my 2 cents and stand up for the OP.

icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Mike7077:

I find that the corner cheat means my centre-backs will score about an average of 3 or 4 a season, rather than none a season. And that's as dramatic as it gets for me. If anything, all the corner cheat does is make it a bit more realistic. I've not yet found that it leads to one of my centre-backs scoring more than about five in a season.

I used it one season with Man Utd and Vidic had 30 goals and Rio had 15. Perhaps your corner taker wasn't accurate.

Originally posted by Cerrano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

I used it one season with Man Utd and Vidic had 30 goals and Rio had 15. Perhaps your corner taker wasn't accurate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weird! It's Man. United who I manage. Vidic scores more than Ferdinand, but neither has scored more than five in a season.

Originally posted by Mike7077:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cerrano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

I used it one season with Man Utd and Vidic had 30 goals and Rio had 15. Perhaps your corner taker wasn't accurate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weird! It's Man. United who I manage. Vidic scores more than Ferdinand, but neither has scored more than five in a season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't forget you also need a good corner taker aswell. icon_biggrin.gif

lol thats kinda crap, so before hand u cud be calculated to win 3-1 & @ HT ur say 0-1 down then u make chnages & it recalculates that to a 1-1 draw then u say chnage again to look for a win & it recalculates for u to lose & u lose 2-1 lol!! that wud be gay cud of won the game if u didn chnage nything from kickoff kinda stupid?

Originally posted by bytheway:

sorry to disappoint you all but SI have said that the results are calculated once you click confirm after you have selected your team and tactics.

so for example, once you've sorted out your tactics and formation and click confirm it calculates a score. then you click play, if you decide to change your tactics or make a sub etc, during the game it will re-calculate the outcome of your changes again once you click confirm. this happens as many times as you change your tactics or make subs until the match is finished.

that is how the game works. end of.

thats my 2 cents and stand up for the OP.

icon_wink.gif

You're right, as soon as you hit confirm it calculates everything that will happen in the match until the end. (If you make any changes then it re-calculates what will happen once you've confirmed).

However, where the OP is wrong is that he is implying that it calculates the final score and then presents you with how the goals were scored, purely as a cosmetic thing. This is wrong.

What actually happens is (as another poster has staed above) that the flaw in the corner simulation actually forms part of the calculation of what happens during the match and therefore what will eventually lead to the final score.

bet everyone is feeling red faced after taking the mickey out of the OP about the calculating issue only to find he is actually correct.

ROFLMAO!!!

As to the Corner cheat question. only one way to find out. use the cheat for a season and see how many goals your striker scores. the follwing season use the exact same tactics but without the cheat. If your strikers goal tally is similar then the cheat makes a difference.

on the other hand, if your strikers get a lot more goals then it just means it's your tactics that are bob on and the ME is just recalculating where the goals come from.

Agree?

You could not be more wrong. I have actual proof that the matches are not decided pre-kick off (although I can't prove I have proof. Confused? Me too)

Originally posted by dsdookie:

lol thats kinda crap, so before hand u cud be calculated to win 3-1 & @ HT ur say 0-1 down then u make chnages & it recalculates that to a 1-1 draw then u say chnage again to look for a win & it recalculates for u to lose & u lose 2-1 lol!! that wud be gay cud of won the game if u didn chnage nything from kickoff kinda stupid?

lol, tell me about it. i sometimes think what if i make a change and it destroys us. what if i leave it and they have been calculated to win. ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alstonrick:

Agree?

You could not be more wrong. I have actual proof that the matches are not decided pre-kick off (although I can't prove I have proof. Confused? Me too) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The matches are calculated up to half time. it can only be calculated to this because changes have to be made and therefore it is recalculated to full-time. only way this changes is if you make changes during the game.

thefore the whole match has been calculated.. SI have confirmed this too.

the game decides before the match, based on your tactics etc and the ai's tactics what ever, what the score will be.

otherwise the commentary couldn't be matched with whats happening.

of course if you where to make changes then it would recalculate what the score was going to be.

There's something I've wondered for a while regarding this process. The game re-calculates the rest of the match when you make changes and when you do your team talk, but does the re-calculation take into account what happened before you made changes?

I.e. If I'm leading 8-0 at half time and I mistakenly say I'm disappointed to the players, will a minor tactical change a couple of seconds after kick off make them forget about the team talk? I get the impression that it does, but it might very well be superstition.

At times there aren't really any good options to pick from when doing the talks and you have to pick a bad one or go with "none" and occasional individual talks. For example when you're playing the 2nd match in a two legged cup tie and you're leading after the first match, no matter what you pick there's a good chance you will run in to trouble. I beat Liverpool 5-1 away in the Champions league with Athletic and thought "game over", but manages to loose 7-2 at home (and they scored 5 goals in the first 35 minutes!).

Since this traumatic experience I started doing changes after team talks I fear will screw me over and I have have convinced myself a tactical change right after kick off makes the game less likely to 'cheat' with crazy effective opponents, out-of-this-world-goalies and horrid defending on my part.

I noticed a thread earlier titled something along the lines of "is drama built into the game"

Well judging on information brought up in this debate i have come to the conclusion that drama could well be built into the game. I am not saying that it is but think of this:

Ok so I have chosen my team, the game then calculates 2-2, so, the engine could then produce a game which would be memorable. I mean i have seen numerous knockout matches in which a game can have goals in times like 1 min, 44th min, 90th min, etc. Maybe it can be coded to make finals and semis special.

Back on topic: I must say i disagree with your theory,adding that corner cheat or exploit... lets put this into a scenario:

You put the corner exploit into your tactic at the beginning of the match and the engine programs you to win 3-0, but the second you take the explit out of the equation the engine will then recalculate the score, based on these changes.

Point made

So... the match engine plays out the entire first half after I click start match and before it gets to the match screen? Every pass, tackle, shot and injury? Assuming I don't make any changes; when I watch it is just replaying the match in 2D for my viewing pleasure.

If that's the case(and I've always assumed it was) than I would imagine the original poster is wrong, because the game doesn't decide what the score is before the match is played, it plays out the entire half and if it calculated that the 1's and 0's that are the ball going past the 1's and 0's that are the keeper into the 1's and 0's that are the net after being struck from the 1's and 0's that are the corner of the pitch, it adds 1 to your tally of goals.

Now that I've written all that, I'm wondering if the original poster doesn't understand that he's saying that your tactics don't matter in FM or if he was just trying to get people riled up by saying that they've been wasting time creating tactics?

The ""corner bug"" isn't cheating

Surly playing football manager is all about clever managment and bringing success to your players and team

Well if you know of a way ofscoring more goals for your team, then doing the corner thing is clever to do.

This is classic trolling. Throwing up an inflamatory post for the purpose of getting a reaction. Every sane person who has played FM knows that the game isn't fixed.

And as for the other debate that seems to have arisen yet again, the corner exlpoit is cheating if you feel it is cheating. It's a way of guaranteeing 40-odd goals a season. *I* don't get any satisfaction from using it because it's too easy to win games. If a person pays money for a game they can play it how they like. I just don't think gamers deserve any credit for winning the league when your top scorer is a CB.

Originally posted by kevinM182:

The ""corner bug"" isn't cheating

Surly playing football manager is all about clever managment and bringing success to your players and team

Well if you know of a way ofscoring more goals for your team, then doing the corner thing is clever to do.

Being clever doesn't mean it's not a cheat.

One of many definitions of "cheat" is "to violate rules or regulations". And since this game is built to be a simulation, it's rules and regulations are, first and foremost, realistic play. The "corner bug" is a success-bringing exploit, not existent in real life, which means using it is violating the rules of realism(and the game's intended purpose)... therefore, it's a cheat.

Whether it's clever, or should or should not be used is a different story... and is entirely up to each individual.

I call anything that GUARANTEES goals a cheat. Like having your ST marking the opposition keeper in 01/02 would get you 80-100 goals a season.

But some would argue that the AI cheats, so setting up the corner tactic evens things out. I don't agree, I think they're crazy, but hey. Each to his own.

nah i dont believe the game result is decided before you play mainly because of this. I was playing with a friend online when his game finnished well before mine. He went onto live league table and said that something must have been wrong with it as I was winning 1-0 yet it only seemed to be giving me 1 point on top of what i had before. Funnily enough in 93 min opposition score and i draw. Now at this point im thinking its fixed. However its not as in another case a simmilar scenario happened yet i changed my tactics and the outcome changed to positive for myself. So i think it has fixed scored but these are adapted in game when both you and the ai changes tactic. Yet even though this is the case the game does seem to have an error with realism where some tactics which are sound suddenly collapse even though they should still be able to stand up to ai changes.

My own personal opinion of the corner bug is that it isn't cheating. There are alot of bugs in the game which go against the user which can cost us games so for one to go for the user it kind of balances out.

Guest mikeytwigge
bet everyone is feeling red faced after taking the mickey out of the OP about the calculating issue only to find he is actually correct.

ROFLMAO!!!

As to the Corner cheat question. only one way to find out. use the cheat for a season and see how many goals your striker scores. the follwing season use the exact same tactics but without the cheat. If your strikers goal tally is similar then the cheat makes a difference.

on the other hand, if your strikers get a lot more goals then it just means it's your tactics that are bob on and the ME is just recalculating where the goals come from.

The OP is wrong because even if it does calculate result every time you press okay then it is calculating the result based on all your tactics INCLUDING THE CORNER TACTICS so it will calculte an extra goal scored at a corner

FFS

when you sumbit the team it calculates your match, if you have the corner cheat applied it will take this into account and ADD goals not just make the goals corner goals. A match however isnt always set in stone, it can cgange at ANY point in the game if you adjust tactics, that is why it loads again to recalculate.

Originally posted by mikeytwigge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bet everyone is feeling red faced after taking the mickey out of the OP about the calculating issue only to find he is actually correct.

ROFLMAO!!!

The OP is wrong because even if it does calculate result every time you press okay then it is calculating the result based on all your tactics INCLUDING THE CORNER TACTICS so it will calculte an extra goal scored at a corner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was saying that the OP was correct in what he was saying when talking about how the game calculates results because people didn't believe him, not about the corner exploit.

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

FFS

when you sumbit the team it calculates your match, if you have the corner cheat applied it will take this into account and ADD goals not just make the goals corner goals. A match however isnt always set in stone, it can cgange at ANY point in the game if you adjust tactics, that is why it loads again to recalculate.

Now i am confused, by your reckoning if you have a star player in your team (even if the rest are poor) they will score goals because of the star? Even if he doesn't touch the ball before it goes in.

Archived