Manager should be a Chairman cum manager

In real life, there is one team in the 6th tier of English football where a manager is BOTH a chairman and a manager of a football club. SI should include this once the human manager has earned enough wages to buy over a club and has total control over it.

Presently, the wages of the manager is there for cosmetic purposes only. If SI can include this in the game, the game would be more interesting and the manager would have more say in the control of the club like the upgrade of the facilities as well as stadium expansion provided the funds come out from the own manager's pocket.

I think that this could be done. What do you guys think about it? :)

In real life, there is one team in the 6th tier of English football where a manager is BOTH a chairman and a manager of a football club. SI should include this once the human manager has earned enough wages to buy over a club and has total control over it.

Presently, the wages of the manager is there for cosmetic purposes only. If SI can include this in the game, the game would be more interesting and the manager would have more say in the control of the club like the upgrade of the facilities as well as stadium expansion provided the funds come out from the own manager's pocket.

I think that this could be done. What do you guys think about it? :)

Wages aren't just cosmetic.

They add to your wage costs, affect the boards decision whether to sack you or not and have a bearing on if you are offered a new job (due to compensation payments).

I think that would complicate the game far too much and take it away from it's core use which is a football manager simulation. If loads of clubs had this type of set up then yes the change would be needed but that certainly isn't the case at the moment.

Youve pointed out one example out of thousands of teams, hardly the norm

Well, is it a norm in real life for a manager to manage BOTH the international as well as the club team at the same time? Your argument does not hold weight here! :(

Well, is it a norm in real life for a manager to manage BOTH the international as well as the club team at the same time? Your argument does not hold weight here! :(

But it's much easier to program the game to have the manager to be an international and club manager than to be a chairman and a manager. I don't see this idea ever coming into the game because like people said already it's like one club out of a million...

While I personally would like to see it, but I'll have to side with the "too much work for not enough gain" side of the debate

If anything, I would imagine only 1% of the player base would ever amass enough wages to actually buy a team, even if you start with Mourinho's wages at Inter (£250,000/wk), it would take years to buy a team, unless you are going for a lower league team

Even then, since the only way to increase your personal wealth is through wages you will not be able to hand out funds to the club if ever needed since you will most likely use everything up with the initial club purchase

Again, as much as I would like it, leave the gimmicky stuff to EA

i remember Naill Quinn did this a few seasons ago with sunderland in the championship for about a year

No he took over the club for 8 games when they first bought it. He only did it because they didn't want to be rushed into appointing a person, as they had only taken over the club in late July, and most of the previous staff had left.

He didn't want to do it, but because he has coaching qualifications he was willing to step in on a caretaker basis. IIRC he felt it was the worst month of his life.

• SI Staff

It's not the norm at the to level but a lot of smaller nations will have a manager who combines club duties with international duties. And since both club management roles and international management roles are both in the game already it's easy to combine them.

The chairman stuff is like a whole new game in itself and it's just not something that we have an interest in looking into at this time and I would personally be against. There are other roles which would be interesting to explore which are more relevant to being a football manager.

You ask the fan of any team you meet on the street about their team and they'll talk about who should or should not be playing and who the manager should be selling and buying. That's one reason football management games are so popular.

While I personally would like to see it, but I'll have to side with the "too much work for not enough gain" side of the debate

If anything, I would imagine only 1% of the player base would ever amass enough wages to actually buy a team, even if you start with Mourinho's wages at Inter (£250,000/wk), it would take years to buy a team, unless you are going for a lower league team

Even then, since the only way to increase your personal wealth is through wages you will not be able to hand out funds to the club if ever needed since you will most likely use everything up with the initial club purchase

Again, as much as I would like it, leave the gimmicky stuff to EA

Furthermore, you'd have no reason to keep the cash, as football would be the only thing you could invest it in.

Some of the idea's you come out with are either really stupid or have been mentioned multiple times.

It won't happen. It's called football manager, not football club owner or whatever you could call it.

But is it a norm to take a 6th tier team all the way to the Premiership in successive seasons? :D

Personally I always find it very hard to believe people on this forum who say they have done this because 9 times out of 10 they never produce proof. I think its probably impossible to do this in successive seasons without first doing some serious cheating. Thats my opinion anyway but maybe I'm just horrible at FM ;)

It happened at Hereford until two seasons ago too, when Turner sacked himself after they were relegated from League one, after his 'championship select loan player team' beat us to 3rd place in L2.

No real need for it to be in the game though, and won't happen anyway

If you want to be a chairman and a manager, I'd suggest you take a look at Football Manager Live. You control everything there, including building your own stadium.

Takes a hell of a lot more time and commitment to become any good at the game though as the casual managers always suffer or at least they did when I played.

Takes a hell of a lot more time and commitment to become any good at the game though as the casual managers always suffer or at least they did when I played.

Plus Blanch would complain that he can't find a striker capable of scoring 100+ goals a season

People keep recycling this argument of doing nothing with wages. If you wanted that realism you'd have to start adding in supermarket shopping, buying a house, going on holiday and all that random rubbish. Then see how much money you have left to buy a football club.

Personally I really don't play FM to find I have to go and buy a pint of milk to make sure I can have some virtual breakfast the next morning. Nor do I do it so that I can spend my entire wages on buying a football club whilst living in a skip and begging for food having spent all my cash.

Tbf, SI opened the can of worms by putting it at the first place :p [Of course at the request of users... whom many of them wanted it usable for something anyway]

It doesn't help that you also have contract negotiations (well I guess anyway, I usually just accept what they offer), as it gives an idea that it is meant to mean something

To me, it is cosmetic and worthless, the AI never bothers about contracts when offering staff jobs

It's just a number that plays no bearing in my games, and I find it only useful to players who set a goal of earning X amount

If you want to be a chairman and a manager, I'd suggest you take a look at Football Manager Live. You control everything there, including building your own stadium.

Thanks for the advise, mate! But sad to say, FML is not available to Singaporeans! There is a message that says:

"We are very sorry but we are currently unable to provide the Football Manager Live service in your country. We are in the process of looking at alternative solutions to this. Please check again soon.

This affects people from these countries: Singapore, India, Indonesia, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Korea, Republic of Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Serbia, Montenegro and Vietnam.

If you have any questions or comments about this, please email restrictedcountry@fmlive.co.uk"! :(

I feel so sad! :(

By the way, if SI implemented this on FML, I see why not implementing this to Football Manager as well in the near future!

Somebody change the topic title - blimey...

I can't believe people are being dirty minded here! I never in my wildest dream thought that the English people view the word "cum" in such disdain manner! :D

Anyway, it is a Latin word and I did not intent any sexual connotations here! Oh dear! I guess it might be because of cultural differences! :(

Some of the idea's you come out with are either really stupid or have been mentioned multiple times.

It won't happen. It's called football manager, not football club owner or whatever you could call it.

Thanks for putting me down mate! I was only trying to help make the FM series become greater........ :(

Thanks for putting me down mate! I was only trying to help make the FM series become greater........ :(

Blanch, typing out the sentence 'manager should be a chairman' was never going to go well in the GD community. You probably should have expected the backlash. :D

pretty sure stuart pearce did with man city and england U21s

Hiddink last season?

Silly ideas that aren't going to improve the game at all, and the fact is that it's probably such a small percentage of people that would like this feature no one would want to play FM with things like that added.

If you wanna be a chairman and fund the club, go and play Fifa Manager

Guus Hiddink done it with Russia and Chelsea he also done it with Australia and PSV. Also Valeri Lobanovsky managed the Ukraine and Dinamo Kiev at the same time. I expect there have been and are currently others that do to.

Thanks for the advise, mate! But sad to say, FML is not available to Singaporeans! There is a message that says:

"We are very sorry but we are currently unable to provide the Football Manager Live service in your country. We are in the process of looking at alternative solutions to this. Please check again soon.

This affects people from these countries: Singapore, India, Indonesia, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Korea, Republic of Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Serbia, Montenegro and Vietnam.

If you have any questions or comments about this, please email restrictedcountry@fmlive.co.uk"!

I feel so sad! :(

By the way, if SI implemented this on FML, I see why not implementing this to Football Manager as well in the near future!

Firstly, I love the way Serbia and Montenegro slip in there. :D

FML and FM are different games, and always will be, though elements can of course be trialled in one version. However, I imagine the core elements would remain in the original game, otherwise the two would become virtually identical.

I can't believe people are being dirty minded here! I never in my wildest dream thought that the English people view the word "cum" in such disdain manner!

Anyway, it is a Latin word and I did not intent any sexual connotations here! Oh dear! I guess it might be because of cultural differences! :(

Did you know the connotation beforehand?

Don't worry, it's used perfectly normally over here, but in the last 12 months or so people have started to laugh at any use of a word that could be considered innuendo. I was playing table football, and remarked how stiff the pole was... :(

i wouldnt mind just being able to take a portion of my earnings to a small club, like taking £10m to Darlo as i become manager as i've complted all my personal goals and just wana help a club out

It happened at Hereford until two seasons ago too, when Turner sacked himself after they were relegated from League one, after his 'championship select loan player team' beat us to 3rd place in L2.

No real need for it to be in the game though, and won't happen anyway

Niall Quinn.... Franny Lee....

There's a lot of former players who have moved upstairs.

Macc Town have a former player on the board.

So it's something that does fit into real life situations, but not something SI are that bothered about.

I wish I was British so that I can play FML and have total control at my club! Hope SI allow Singaporeans to access FML soon! :(

Or SI can make things better by just adding the Chairman function to FM 2011 and beyond! That saves us a lot of trouble! :D

• SI Staff
Or SI can make things better by just adding the Chairman function to FM 2011 and beyond! That saves us a lot of trouble! :D

There's probably a better chance of me winning The X-Factor than that ;)

Blanch, typing out the sentence 'manager should be a chairman' was never going to go well in the GD community. You probably should have expected the backlash. :D

Tbh, there is very little you can type that doesn't create a backlash in GD.

On topic, not for me thanks.

Niall Quinn.... Franny Lee....

There's a lot of former players who have moved upstairs.

Macc Town have a former player on the board.

So it's something that does fit into real life situations, but not something SI are that bothered about.

Yeah, but are they also managing their clubs? The answer would be no.

In about 90% of the situations with managers being on the board it's a case of a fan favourite taking the pension job, in most of the rest it's a clueless owner who thinks he's knows more about a sport he's never seen before than the man who's lived it all his life.

Archived