Unrealistic ME scenarios that give you the biggest gripe??!!

Mine,, well at home to Man Utd and I am two down after 10 minutes due to my left back Herita Illunga kicking the ball straight at the back of my LM Kieron Dyer's head. The ball promptly rolls to Paul Scholes feet and Utd score..... twice!!!!

Now granted Illunga isn't a great passer but how many times do you see a professional Premier League footballer kick the ball into the back of a teammate on the wing in real life let alone twice!! It's hard enough beating Man Utd without two assists from my left back!!

I wouldn't mind so much if every Man Utd pass didn't stick perfectly!!

So that's my No 1, for a bit of light relief what is your most unrealistic ME scenario that gives you the biggest beef?!

I have an AM who scores for fun on a regular basis. Due to injury problems I'm playing him as a Striker and he his absolutely hopeless. Can't control the ball, can't make the simplest of passes or score the easiest of chances. Playing out of position should have some effect on a players performance but not that much.

As you say, too many times where the ball just seems to hit players rather than them controlling it and most of the time falls straight to the opposition. Too many set piece goals that could be easily avoided but players seem to run away???

Don't even get me started on the long shots or amount of penalties given.

(0) Mine is how center backs with 17+ in anticipation, marking and positioning can't deal with through balls and don't even bother to foul the striker when he runs in between them to collect the through ball.

Another thing is attacking corners, but that probably IS my tactics. When one of my players takes the corner and the ball gets deflected out of the box, there are 3 possible scenarios: (1) my team retains the ball and starts another attack, (2) ball gets kicked somewhere near a "stay forward" opponent who easily outruns my three players who's corner settings are on "back" (and usually scores) and (3) one of my three "back" players catches the ball, passes it to a player who is up forward only so that that player could pass the ball back which is usually intercepted by a "stay forward" opponent who either outruns my "back" players (who at that time are pretty far up so it's not that hard) or plays a through ball (see (0) )

About 60% of total goals (not just from corners) I've conceded are from 2) and 3). About 75-85% from (0) :D

Now granted Illunga isn't a great passer but how many times do you see a professional Premier League footballer kick the ball into the back of a teammate on the wing in real life let alone twice!! It's hard enough beating Man Utd without two assists from my left back!!

Illunga only played well before West Ham gave him a permante deal. Now he is very average.

Hate it when the goalkeeper just stands there when the ball is about 1 m away and watches as an opposition players runs from further away from the ball than the keeper is and puts it in. And constant defence splitting through balls to a plyer that neither of my defenders were marking even though they had nothing else to do.

Mine is one think that happen twice in the same game and happen quite few times. But this game I suffered 2 goals (I still win because I was 3-0) and my GK can't rush to the ball! The first time was about 5 meters or so and Striker about 7 or 8. the second goal the ball was less then 3 meters and Striker 5 meters. My GK didn't run to catch the ball at all. it stood there frozen.

When it happen on four time in ten games I stopped playing and waiting for patch 2.

I recognise most of these scenarios. Certainly, the passes bouncing off teammate's backs to opposition players are a big nuisance. As is the goalkeeper being glued to his line on through-balls into the box, although I put this one down to the goalkeeper having poor stats for coming out etc.

One not mentioned yet is defenders' habit of playing long, aerial, volleyed Hollywood backpasses to the keeper. It doesn't usually result in goals, but it's irritating to see and does normally result in conceding possession when the keeper inevitably lumps it upfield.

Speaking of which, keepers with their distribution set to "defender collect" assuming that "defender" means "player in opposition kit standing twenty yards inside opposition half" and continuing with their long ball nonsense.

I'm sure I could think of many, many more things...

kicking balls against your own player happens way too often.

took a short free kick last night, second player was 3 yards away from the ball, didnt react to it, and opposition player ran in and pinched it.

tend to see a kind of "reserved ball" situation. ball is cleared form corner, towards one of your players, yet someone will chase it back out of the area rather than the person who is closest to it getting it. (if that makes any sense!)

edit: quality, just quality CityAndColour!! :thup:

I agree with the OP. My biggest gripe with the game is the goofy stuff that happens in the ME such as:

- my goalies are absolute idiots

- kicking it off my own players

- my defenders from time to time have a horrendous first touch while they are last man back

- the stupid long shot goal from the top of the box that happens way to much

For me I have no problem with the results of this game, it is the way they are displayed. Hopefully they fix some of the bad animations and defending in the patch.

As said before, mine ranges from AI goals being constantly scored due to my players running away from / ignoring the ball when it would have been FAR easier for them to take possession.

Another is when a high ball is coming towards one of my players in acres of space and, instead of controlling the ball like even a primary school kid would do, he simply heads it weakly to nobody - usually allowing an AI player to take control of it and launch an attack. Also as mentioned before, passes bouncing off the heels of a teammate is irritating as well. Once or twice I could live with, but it happens constantly!

centraldef.jpg

I am sorry to say this but i think you have been watching to much of Harry Redknapps tatics,how to defend with a 2-0 lead with 20 minutes to go DVD.

My biggest dislike of the game is, when the opposing st runs through the middle miles offside, my keeper saves rebounds to the other st who slots it home. Where,s the linesman? on the half way line running on the spot.

Watcing lower league teams put together 25 yard, one touch passing moves.

This. That's the kind of football I aim to play and want to be able to build towards that in the players that I buy and the tactics that I set and it does happen, which is great. However, anyone can do it and everyone does do it. Every team I play is fantastic at it, in the Scottish Third Division!

The way one defeat will totally ruin confidence and your players will no longer be able to pass the ball or control it for weeks.

Had another classic last night. Lovely cross from Faubert (that's unrealistic actually!) Franco gets his head to it in the area and it's a,,,,,, well it seems to zigzag in mid air, maybe hits the post but not sure but anyhow ends up safely in the hands of the goalkeeper who clearly dived to late but thanks to the laws of physics on ball flight being changed in FM he saves it!!!!

When my goalkeeper berated the defence for bad defending.... while the ball was a metre from him, and a striker was putting it in the net. I had to laugh, with an edge of desperation!

And yes, the fact that lower league teams can do fantastic one touch football, and my lower league team cant. Hell they like to stand around waiting to be tackled, or wellying it out of play at any time they have an opposition player within 5 metres of them!

I see one which is annoying the 1 central defender nobody else moves but e goes mental races to the midfield as he sees danger if he misses he left his attacker he marking for a free run.

I dont know why it happens its been doing it for years in FM and still happens in fm2010 but thankfully the times seen it in this version he has got 100% success rate and passed/headed to teamate unlike previous FM's was 100% guarantee goal against.

I suppose he trying to cover underperforming midfield but surely if he pushes up the rest of defence would at least move with him.

I also get the huddle of AM, strikers after a attack breaksdown theyre like having a chat no attempt to get back in the game just stand there.

My biggest dislike of the game is, when the opposing st runs through the middle miles offside, my keeper saves rebounds to the other st who slots it home. Where,s the linesman? on the half way line running on the spot.

On the subject of offsides - when a forward is played through and scores only for the offside flag to be raised about 5 minutes late.

Also full-backs clearing into touch when there's nobody within 20 yards of them.

One of the strangest things I have seen so far is in a match playing against Blackburn (Arsenal myself). Won that one 5-0 but I noticed a rather odd thing right before the 4th goal. Sadly didn't keep the match as save so cannot show you but the Blackburn coach decided to swap Robinson (GK) with one of his DC's (Gael Clichy) halfway into the match. After the goal conceded he promtly switched them back. I was looking through the replays and noticed he played his DC as GK a good 10 mins with the GK right in front of him as DC.

Uhm... why? Neither of them had an injury and it wasn't one of those odd subs either. They were both on the pitch for 90 mins. He just swapped them. In this case I cannot really complain as it made me score an otherwise probably saved goal but that should not really be happening tbh.

The goalkeeper "suction" animation. Just played against Barcelona, Dzeko loses his marker and is one-on-one with the goalkeeper. He moves slightly away from the keeper, Valdes is already on the ground, and Dzeko slides the ball past him, but Spiderman Valdes uses his spider glands to catch the ball with the spider web and sucks it right into his hands!

You can check the .pkm here

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=17622601718253215307

it's a highlight around 54:50

the fact that professional football players that cost me 20mil each cannot pass the ball to the player taking the corner or throw in or GK without the ball missing by about 5 meters.

happens 99% of the time and really is ridiculous..

That's one thing that annoys me too.

It's a serious professional league, so why are they using only 1 ball in the whole game like they couldn't afford more?

If the ball is too far away or something, they should just get a new ball and kick the other one out.

One of the strangest things I have seen so far is in a match playing against Blackburn (Arsenal myself). Won that one 5-0 but I noticed a rather odd thing right before the 4th goal. Sadly didn't keep the match as save so cannot show you but the Blackburn coach decided to swap Robinson (GK) with one of his DC's (Gael Clichy) halfway into the match. After the goal conceded he promtly switched them back. I was looking through the replays and noticed he played his DC as GK a good 10 mins with the GK right in front of him as DC.

Uhm... why? Neither of them had an injury and it wasn't one of those odd subs either. They were both on the pitch for 90 mins. He just swapped them. In this case I cannot really complain as it made me score an otherwise probably saved goal but that should not really be happening tbh.

Is Benitez manager of Blackburn on your save game? This would explain it, as Rafa constantly makes tactical decisions and substitutions in real life that are at best baffling!

Is Benitez manager of Blackburn on your save game? This would explain it, as Rafa constantly makes tactical decisions and substitutions in real life that are at best baffling!

Nope, still managing Liverpool third year in. Not doing too bad either. Original top still seems rather solid in my save until now. Maybe that IS unrealistic :p

When your forced to play a player out of position due to injuries or suspension. They can't do the basics yet AI team play players regularly out of position with out much hinderence.

Same happens with injured players, your players go to 60% therefore must be subbed, AI players continue, don't have any effect and when you check after a game are rarely injured.

When i can tell straight away when i kick off a match, that i'm going to lose it, not because i'm a bad tactician or my team are bad, just sometimes you get that feeling that your run of unbeaten matches will come to an end thus leaving Barcelona to beat your Real Madrid team by seven points in the league in mid March!

Two of my most recent games(i'm playing as Wolves)

Its early January and there is a bit of a fixture congestion, i go into my game at Home to West Ham clear favourites. My players are mostly 94-100% fit and all bar one has Superb morale, whilst the West Ham team are anything from 80% to low nineties and have mediocre morale across the team.

I lost 2-3 to 3 of the most amazing goals i have ever witnessed each one a contender for goal of the season(will probably be the top 3 goals scored all season)

I then went into my next game against Notts Forest in the FA Cup again with a fully fit team with high morale against a fatigued Forest side with questionable fitness and morale.

I drew 2-2 their first goal was a lay off from a free kick smashed in from the edge of the area and their second was straight from a free kick from almost the half way line, my keeper just watched it float into the top corner.

About 80% of all goals i concede are now "special goals" if not that its a defensive error made under no pressure, or from a corner or free kick.

How anyone can defend this ME is beyond me, it truly is the worst i have ever seen by a long long way, i'm actually embarrased for SI, but then again they have another few million quid in the bank, so i think they can probably live with it.

There really should have been a product recall on this game it is spectacularly awful and not one single feature is without massive issues.

just lost an important match right at the end where I was playing really well, because my player did a passback, it rebounded off one of my players but still went fairly close to the goalkeeper, but then my goalkeeper ran up to it, there were seriously no players of the other team anywhere NEAR, but my goalkeeper suddenly was walking really slowly, my defenders dont do anything and a player from the other team runs up takes it and scores. Im absolutely gutted I feel cheated by the game. 3 matches earlier I had a defender laying down injured in my penalty area, the other team was passing it around for AGES, it was a seriously long highlight, and at the end they scored. That one has happened in real life but the first one hasn't that was just a match engine **** up and im really really annoyed by it.

Passbacks from well past the 18 that are so off target they result in corners. I get two or three of these a game from both sides (possible exaggeration; it is pretty prevalent, though). It evens out, since the AI side does it too, but it's still stupid.

Oh, and subbing keepers out at halftime, regardless of their injury status. You don't really ever see that.

My gripes so far have been the long shots, and the fact that I can never get my strikers to remain consistent. I've started maybe 6 or 7 different games now, ranging from some of the best teams (Liverpool) to lower league (St. Albans), and I can get my strikers to go on incredible scoring streaks over a period of 5-10 games only to have them suddenly drop off the face of the Earth and score maybe once or twice in the next 10.

Yes, I know, it's my tactics blah blah.

This is something I've never understood to this day and I think is unrealistic. In FM, creative freedom affects finishing, for some reason. Apparently if you set it too high, then a player will attempt some kind of fancy finish instead of just putting the ball into the net. It just doesn't make sense to me why CF and finishing are linked. Should really be up to the player's own ability to put the ball into the net. It's as if the manager says to the player, "if you're through on goal, go ahead and try some crazy stuff, don't worry about scoring".

In my first Liverpool season I had an absolute classic: I'm beating West Ham, I think, 3-0. Gerrard feeds a perfect ball to Torres, who is clean through on goal. Until...Stevie slide tackles him, breaking his leg. It was hilarious, except for the whole Torres out for ages thing.

Archived