Beckham and Ronaldo signing for a Stoke/Wigan

Ok, this is really frustrating. I just hate seeing Ronaldo signed by Stoke and Beckham signed by Wigan.

Beckham really needs his reputation upped a whole lot. Beckham might be old, but he's still really famous anywhere, and a cult in Asia. Not only for his football abilities, but regardless of that he's still attracts a lot of headlines and a lot of fans. So why on earth is he joining mid to low team in Premiership in crap cities?

His current reputation, world reputation and home reputation is at 152. Surely home reputation should be at lest 160 easily (just look at his teamate Landon Donovan has 162). His world reputation should be really high, at least 160. There are only 3 english players with 170 world rep or more (Rio, Gerrard and Rooney), but six English players with more than 160 world rep. His current reputation should also be incresed. Even Lescott hs more reputation than Beckham.

Some players just need their reputation high despite their abilities being lower. IMO this has been a problem for several years in FM series. When some of the stars get older and their abilities drops their reputation drops way too much and they get signed by really crap teams on a terrible salary. Can you guys imagine that happening in real life?? Can you imagine Maldini signing for a league one side on a 500 per week salary?

Any team which would sign Beck should and would IRL get serious increase in jerseys sold. In Asia Beckham is so famous its out of this world.

I think the problem is not only his reputation, but also the fact he's on a low rep team in a low rep division. Fair enough, not unrealistic that he'd wanna go elsewhere, but he should be picked up for a bigger team.

Ronaldo (the original one) has the same problem. He's getting signed by Stoke City on my online game. Beckham signed by Wigan. Where's the realism in that??

I managed to sign Beckham for free in January of the first season. I'm only paying him £50k a week and this is with Birmingham.

Nobody else even challenged me for his signature, I do regret it now though as he's been pretty awful.

I also seen lots of top-class players playing for very little money for poor teams after certain age. Obviously they are not worth of much money as a player after certain age, but some good teams may still sign them for reputation and experience by paying good money. If not these players should retire instead of playing for crap teams for small money.

Ronaldo was desperate to join anyone when he was out of contract, and IIRC even Hull turned him down.

Beckham wants to play football in a top league to boost his chances of the World Cup squad, so would prefer to go to Wigan than sit doing nothing in America.

Remember, George Weah played for Man City (before the money), Robbie Fowler is in Australia, Pele and George Best played over in America (as does Beckham), Lambardo played for Palace, I could go on all day.

It's entirely realistic.

Ronaldo was desperate to join anyone when he was out of contract, and IIRC even Hull turned him down.

Beckham wants to play football in a top league to boost his chances of the World Cup squad, so would prefer to go to Wigan than sit doing nothing in America.

Remember, George Weah played for Man City (before the money), Robbie Fowler is in Australia, Pele and George Best played over in America (as does Beckham), Lambardo played for Palace, I could go on all day.

It's entirely realistic.

Well okay, you can make a case for that I suppose. Its not entirely unrealistic. Most teams in Prem have money and wage budget to compete with almost anyone. So perhabs this is okay. I still think Becks should have more reputation just because he's Becks.

However, its still a problem with washed out stars signing for really crap teams, like Beckham at 37 yo at Carlisle for 300 week a week. I remember in FM08/09 when Maldini at 40 was being signed for really crap teams for nothing. Thats entirely unrealistic. After a few seasons of FM10 you'd see dozens of old stars (Scholes, Giggs, Lampard, RVN etc) on free agent lists just waiting for league 1 or league 2 teams to pick them up.

It does happen though, George Best played for Bournemouth in Division 3 before he retired and he was the most famous of his day, Henrik Larsson probably the most famous Sweedish player of the past few decades and even to this day, left Barca after he won them the Champions League final, to go home to play with Helsingborg. European cup winner and legendary winger Jimmy Johnstone saw out his carear playing with Elgin City back when they were playing in the Scottish Highland League.

But yeah players with the temperament of Maldini would never do something like that. I guess its something that would have to be distinguished for each player, for example I wouldnt rule out Beckham playing in the EPL again, you never know.

The fact Hull turned him down ****ed me off so bad.

But yeah aged stars wont get first team football if they play for high rep clubs, and high rep clubs dont want worn out talent. Simple as.

Þetta er nú bara svona einfalt :)

It does happen though, George Best played for Bournemouth in Division 3 before he retired and he was the most famous of his day, Henrik Larsson probably the most famous Sweedish player of the past few decades and even to this day, left Barca after he won them the Champions League final, to go home to play with Helsingborg. European cup winner and legendary winger Jimmy Johnstone saw out his carear playing with Elgin City back when they were playing in the Scottish Highland League.

But yeah players with the temperament of Maldini would never do something like that. I guess its something that would have to be distinguished for each player, for example I wouldnt rule out Beckham playing in the EPL again, you never know.

but don't forget Best played for Stockport for only 3 matches and he is the only famous player we had ever iirc

Well okay, you can make a case for that I suppose. Its not entirely unrealistic. Most teams in Prem have money and wage budget to compete with almost anyone. So perhabs this is okay. I still think Becks should have more reputation just because he's Becks.

However, its still a problem with washed out stars signing for really crap teams, like Beckham at 37 yo at Carlisle for 300 week a week. I remember in FM08/09 when Maldini at 40 was being signed for really crap teams for nothing. Thats entirely unrealistic. After a few seasons of FM10 you'd see dozens of old stars (Scholes, Giggs, Lampard, RVN etc) on free agent lists just waiting for league 1 or league 2 teams to pick them up.

yeah the beckham thing is weird but i thought people were complaining that in 09 unwanted ageing players refused to drop down a league and play as they would rather rot and retire without a club

What'd be nice for FM2011 is a peak reputation in the system. This way aging players who used to be greats could have a high peak reputation, making them a big crowd pleaser at a small club even if their reputation merely makes them an average buy. Equally, the games true legends with 190+ peak reputation would be less likely to go off to these small clubs. PErhaps players with high commericalism (or whatever the hidden stat similar to that is) would also be less likely to drop down the leagues, instead retiring closer to the top or going somewhere exotic to expand their "brand"?

Ok, this is really frustrating. I just hate seeing Ronaldo signed by Stoke and Beckham signed by Wigan.

Beckham really needs his reputation upped a whole lot. Beckham might be old, but he's still really famous anywhere, and a cult in Asia. Not only for his football abilities, but regardless of that he's still attracts a lot of headlines and a lot of fans. So why on earth is he joining mid to low team in Premiership in crap cities?

Easy with the crap city remark - im not from Wigan, but no need to cause offence to those who are! :D

I think its pretty realistic. You still see players joining low teams just because they want to stay in the game a little longer. Granted its not too realistic in the Beckham case because A. He's still a very good player at his current age and B. He'll probably quit football and go into something else that offers more money than earn £300 a week. But for other greats its possible. I can see the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo who holds a similar, if not higher, rep than Beckham in some countries joining a low team when he's passed it, similar to fat Ronaldo who we probably never thought would end his days like he has lol.

I actually prefer it a bit more to how it has been in a couple of the last versions where they wouldn't sign for next to anyone, Beckham especially on FM08 he was more dedicated to LA galaxy than the pope is to the roman catholic faith.

What are you viewing to see reputation like that? As far as I was aware, reputation went from 1 - 10,000 for all, those figures seem more like CA/PA figures.

I do think though, if AC Milan hadn't come in for Beckham he would have gone to Sunderland this January, whilst Sunderland have that perception of being a bit bigger now Newcastle are out of the picture, they aren't really any better than the likes of Bolton, Wigan and West Ham and sides like Stoke have fairly rapidly closed the gap on them (and for any Sunderland fans who dispute this, see last seasons league table and this seasons match, and even table :p) but practically any side that came in for him in January in Spain, Italy or England would have been likely to got Beckhams loan deal if they could agree terms with LA Galaxy.

What'd be nice for FM2011 is a peak reputation in the system. This way aging players who used to be greats could have a high peak reputation, making them a big crowd pleaser at a small club even if their reputation merely makes them an average buy. Equally, the games true legends with 190+ peak reputation would be less likely to go off to these small clubs. PErhaps players with high commericalism (or whatever the hidden stat similar to that is) would also be less likely to drop down the leagues, instead retiring closer to the top or going somewhere exotic to expand their "brand"?

Great idea.

Don't forget that - when you are a LLM, hey even in the Championship, its nice to be able to sign the likes of Beckham, Maldini or whomever. Even if they are not the best players in your team, its still cool to be able to have them available to you :)

His current reputation, world reputation and home reputation is at 152. Surely home reputation should be at lest 160 easily (just look at his teamate Landon Donovan has 162). His world reputation should be really high, at least 160. There are only 3 english players with 170 world rep or more (Rio, Gerrard and Rooney), but six English players with more than 160 world rep. His current reputation should also be incresed. Even Lescott hs more reputation than Beckham.

Some players just need their reputation high despite their abilities being lower. IMO this has been a problem for several years in FM series. When some of the stars get older and their abilities drops their reputation drops way too much and they get signed by really crap teams on a terrible salary. Can you guys imagine that happening in real life?? Can you imagine Maldini signing for a league one side on a 500 per week salary?

Any team which would sign Beck should and would IRL get serious increase in jerseys sold. In Asia Beckham is so famous its out of this world.

I think the problem is not only his reputation, but also the fact he's on a low rep team in a low rep division. Fair enough, not unrealistic that he'd wanna go elsewhere, but he should be picked up for a bigger team.

Ronaldo (the original one) has the same problem. He's getting signed by Stoke City on my online game. Beckham signed by Wigan. Where's the realism in that??

Its only a game mate..... and Beckham would not sign for an asian team

Brazilian international Aldair played 11 seasons for AC Roma and almost 100 matches for Brazilian national team.

Yet last season he spent in San Marinese club Murata.

Imagined 40 years old Beckham playing somewhere in 8th english league with amateurs... that would be funny. Impossible IRL, yet who knows about his career in FM...

IMHO...Becks is the most overrated player who played football, and anybody who beleives an ageing Beckham is is above a mid-table premier league team just hasnt watched him play.

Just goes to show football is all about marketing these days when you put players like Beckham above talent

Well, Beckham and Maldini are special cases since Maldini's a one club man, who would never play any other side. And Beckham is an icon all over the world, with an exclusive lifestyle. I agree that this rare kind of players should have some personal hidden attribute that prevents them from joining to small clubs in less glamorous citys, but for most other players I see no reason. Sol Campbell, Teddy Sheringham have joined minor clubs IRL so it happens. What I would like o see though is older players joining their first club; Henry & Trezeguet in Monaco for instance.

I was thinking, should there be a system that allows players to retire from top level teams/nations without retiring outright? For example, many players after they "retire" continue to play at a lower level, sometimes in different nations that have a lower level of game just because they like the lifestyle and want to keep playing for a bit for fun. In this case it is reasonable to offer them lower wages. I.e. Robbie Fowler playing in the A-league is only getting around 6k euros a week. Maybe a good compromise would be to allow a share in merchandising sales to be offered in a contract.

To the OP: I can't imagine your examples but I can imagine for example Rivaldo signing for Bunyodkor and Romario playing for Miami then Adelaide, and Ronaldo etc going back to Corinthians just before they lose it. In fact, Beckham going to Galaxy is another example as well. So I don't think they should be going to better teams per se, but more likely to go to less competitive leagues depending on their personality, i.e. Scholes is likely to play for Oldham IRL after he "retires" I've heard.

In the game, the players seem to not want to move until they are completely finished. In my mind it is unrealistic that so many footballers retire outright in the game and just disappear forever.

Anyone claiming that David Beckham would not sign with a mid-table team is delusional and has not watched the man's clear desperation to earn a spot with England for the World Cup. After signing a huge MLS deal and ending up being an utter failure in a league with limited quality, he abandoned all loyalty to LA Galaxy and started talking about leaving for Europe to somehow get more consideration for the World Cup. He managed to get a loan deal, and after coming back to MLS, he started talking this rubbish again just as the MLS season was hitting stride.

Granted, he's in luck because of his second loan deal in Serie A, but I have no doubt that Beckham would sign with a mid-table Premiership team if it meant him getting his desired exposure for potential World Cup selection. That's all he cares about now, and he has repeatedly made that clear. By playing in the EPL, even with a crap side, he could more easily be evaluated in person by Capello, and that's what Beckham is really after. But if Capello has any brains, he'll leave Beckham for dead, because he would be a liability for England.

Archived