Real-life grudges caused by FM...

Does anyone out there hold any grudges against a team or a player because of Football Manager? I have no reason to wish ill on Wycombe Wanderers, but one day I found myself wanting them to lose a match and I didn't know why. A while later I realised it was to do with them beating me in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final on FM when I was managing Farsley Celtic and we thoroughly deserved to win.

I suppose it's a bit pathetic to carry a grudge from a game into real life, but it seems to have happened with me! Anybody else got a similar story?

Does anyone out there hold any grudges against a team or a player because of Football Manager? I have no reason to wish ill on Wycombe Wanderers, but one day I found myself wanting them to lose a match and I didn't know why. A while later I realised it was to do with them beating me in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final on FM when I was managing Farsley Celtic and we thoroughly deserved to win.

I suppose it's a bit pathetic to carry a grudge from a game into real life, but it seems to have happened with me! Anybody else got a similar story?

Yes, Spurs. For years on the earlier/later CMs I struggled immensley against them. Now I can't stand them in real life, although ol' Twitcher can't help now he's with the Spuds.

Darren Bent when i was unbeaten at home for 3 seasons with Chelsea and he scored 96th min even though there was only 2 minutes added time.

Newcastle/WBA because for some odd reason i always do crap against them

Spurs because they sacked me even though i won Uefa Cup and Carling Cup 1st season and just missed out on Champions League (I wanted a new contract they said no)

A little bit towards Gary Megson and Roy Keane, I suppose - I've done nothing to antogonise them (other than hand out a couple of hammerings from my Liverpool squad), but every time I have a match against them, they're constantly criticising me even though I've tried being friendly towards them. Keane won't even sell to me, even though I offered stupid money for one of his wonderkids.

I also have a slight resentment towards Inter for being the only team I failed to beat in the league in a save with Palermo on FM08. I have a slight soft spot for Palermo though, managed to win the league with them before I stopped playing '08 to move to '09.

Disliked Villa for a while, since they always seemed to do well against Man Utd in the game, no matter how much better a team I had. Also now follow Juve after some epic games in CM01-02 on hotseat with my friend who was Roma manager.

My wife hates Velez Sarsfield as they pinched Neil Ruddock from her West Ham team. Not sure which version that was but it was in the late nineties.

I hate Staines, because they stupidly sacked me on FM07.

Bitter much? :D

Andranik Teymorian, despite being gash in real life he always seems to score against me in game, no matter what im managing or whoever he is playing for, and for that reason i despise the man. You could also add Ismael Miller to the above.

West Brom, hate them, always struggle mainly due to Ismael Miller.

in my current game, i have a grudge against chris brunt because he always manages to score against me. and garry o'connor for that matter, i was dominating against birmingham (im arsenal) and almunia (now my 2nd keeper) came out to meet him and he chipped the ball into the back of the net for an 89th minute winner. also, david moyes is always doubting my title credentials, which gets quite annoying.

This is more of positive thing. In 07 Darren Bent was a England starter and absolute star for me for Charlton. Mind you my team was still a relegation battler still but he was the leagues top 3 scorer consistently.

And I've always thought of him as a potential star in real life, until i actually watch him though.

Bojan scored two freak goals to knock my liverpool side out of the champions league first knockout round, and atm i also hate reina because he wants to leave and if i play him he's useless. I'm starting to get annoyed with guardiola because of starting bojan in that game and for unsettling reina.

I have a grudge against Henri Camara that goes back to CM 03/04 when he played for Wolves. His jumping on that game was randomly generated, and he mostly came out with a really low figure, but on my main save game with Leicester he had 18 for jumping, and those who remember CM03/04 will remember how overly effective jumping was. He was an absolute nightmare to play against and one of the most unstoppable strikers about. He'd always outjump my defenders with one near post header from a corner sticking in my mind. I remember Chelsea signing him when he was 36 on a free transfer, his pace had gone, but his jumping was still around 17/18.

I still grumble now about his jumping on the rare occasions he appears on MOTD (Although I believe he's currently clubless?) these days.

A few fondnesses but no grudges, if only because the one team that qualifies, Leca, is too obscure (at least outside portugal) to register on my radar in real life. However Arsenal, Man City and Inter have been trying very hard to give me a grudge but that hasn't gone beyond FM yet.

:( I support them

I hate Staines, because they stupidly sacked me on FM07.
Bitter much? :D

He'd taken them to the verge of European Glory from the depths of the BSS, so he's got every right to be angry about it!

I don't hate any team, but i don't really like West Brom tbh. They ended my 86 match unbeaten run in the league a few years back with FC United with a last minute offside goal :( I've got my own back since then, the lowest scoring game i've had against them has been 5-0 to us since then :D

Bolton... always always always struggle against them when im managing liverpool...

and gillingham.. keep gettin drawn against them in the cups atm, and lose every damned time....

i must admit, im more likely to follow a team cos of FM than to dislike one...

My wife hates Velez Sarsfield as they pinched Neil Ruddock from her West Ham team. Not sure which version that was but it was in the late nineties.

I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the thread after reading your wife plays!

But I can't make my mind up whether you're so lucky, or unlucky! I can picture loads of arguments, lots of discussions about saves and tactics.

iker casillas and real madrid in general for me. this is going back years, i had a real save, won the league and got to the champions league final against bayern. at half time i'm three nil up and the lads decide to do an ac milan on me and we ended up getting stuffed 7-4 basically losing the second half 7-1. :(

raul had scored a first half hat trick, all the players were playing ok with no bad ratings. then the second half happened. casillas went from a 7 halftime rating to a 1. the first and last time i've ever had a 1 rating for any of my players and he gets it in the champions league final of all games. as the goals started to go in i made subs, i tweaked my tactics, when that didnt changed my tactcs and formation completely. nothing i did made any difference, the ai just became hal out of 2001 a space odyssey and i was frank poole.

after i pressed continue i fined everyone until i got sacked on purpose, punched the wall a few times as i was that annoyed and then swore to never manage them again in FM and went down the pub.

and that is why i hate real madrid and iker casillas....

:D

Bolton... always always always struggle against them when im managing liverpool...

and gillingham.. keep gettin drawn against them in the cups atm, and lose every damned time....

i must admit, im more likely to follow a team cos of FM than to dislike one...

I like The Gills. I've had a good career with them in my career game. :)

For me it's Charlton, they stopped my Basingstoke team from getting into the EPL on 3 occasions (beat me in the play-offs twice and beat me in the final game of the season which stopped me getting into the play-offs) After the 2nd defeat in the play-offs I just couldn't play the game anymore. After 25 seasons (10 of them in the championship) I put the save game away!

For me it's Charlton, they stopped my Basingstoke team from getting into the EPL on 3 occasions (beat me in the play-offs twice and beat me in the final game of the season which stopped me getting into the play-offs) After the 2nd defeat in the play-offs I just couldn't play the game anymore. After 25 seasons (10 of them in the championship) I put the save game away!

Have you still got it? I wouldnt mind a pop at that if you could upload it? Im off to bed now as ive just finished work but i'll check back to see if there is a response later..... or just PM me i suppose but i have a feeling some other people may fancy carrying on your good work!

Is it on FM09? What patch?

I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the thread after reading your wife plays!

But I can't make my mind up whether you're so lucky, or unlucky! I can picture loads of arguments, lots of discussions about saves and tactics.

She stopped playing after CM01/02 when it got 'too complicated'. Shame really, in the two multiplayer games we really got into, she beat me :D

She stopped playing after CM01/02 when it got 'too complicated'. Shame really, in the two multiplayer games we really got into, she beat me :D

Is that some sort of sick fantasy? ;)

My wife doesnt really comprehend what im trying to achieve in the FM world :sad:

On topic, I'd like to add Martin Fulop who i just remembered always seems to have blinders against me!

EDIT: Also Adam Le Fondre, his goalscroing was the scourge of my Gateshead save!

Switching the thread around i now have a soft spot for Salzburg in Austria after a succesful save with them. I wouldn't say i hate a player because of FM but Hulk really annoyed me on FM against my Sporting CP team and ever since that save i havent liked him at all and also Ishmael Miller who ALWAYS scores against me but whenever i sign him he is s**t.

*200th post for me* YAY. lol

Archived