AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Oh, you beauty. I've just seen the announcement thread for FM10, and although I might not get it (waiting for FM11), it does include a feature I've been wanting for this experiment for ages.

Competition editing and Competition addition

Good news indeed. Can't wait for the ability to take a pub side into Europe. :0)

The next incarnation of the experiment will see the Bandits in a MUCH lower league. And I might be quite evil in my promotion criteria. Do you folks think the lower leagues should be realistic to English football (i.e. put the Bandits in a real local league)? Or would you be happy for me to make a fake setup?

Think you've proved creative and devious enough to be able to come up with an interesting setup of your own.

E.g. A division that has no automatic promotion, only playoffs. The Bandits have NEVER won a playoff competition, in either incarnation of the experiment (and about ten attempts). Fancy forcing them to?

Sounds good to me. Face the demon, eh? Supposedly the divisions you might create could have much fewer clubs in and therefore should make it much quicker to spin through a season. Then it wouldn't cause a problem with becoming stagnant if it took them five or six years to get up another tier.

And how about an annual cup, entered only by the Bandits and the Sheriffs? A one-off shield of sorts to be played the week before the Community Shield?

That's just got to happen. Also then, there is the possibility of the winner of the tournament being entered into another friendly tournament against a third, real life team, so we have a benchmark to gauge their progress. (i.e. We'll be able to see just how far they've got to go in order to have the ability to compete in Europe for example.)

Or maybe they could face someone like Chelsea, who by then will undoubtedly be fielding several of the ex-Bandits starlets. Or even the England squad. So many possibilities... :0)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's looking likely that the Sheriffs will have a season of struggle on their hands. Doesn't look too likely that they have anything like the quality to reach the top flight at the first ask.

On the other hand, the Bandits looks more than capable of winning their division at a canter. Expect to see the two of them slugging it out again next year.

My prediction is that the Bandits will reach the Premiership first, but it will take them three attempts to do it. (gaining promotion at end of 2017-18 season.) The sheriffs will follow them up the next year.

I predict the Sheriffs will survive, while the Bandits will take the division. Sheriffs vs Bandits in the Championship playoffs the year after anybody? :D

The league editor in FM2010 is what I have been waiting for my entire life of playing management games. Play possible in every division of every country in the world, my mouth is absolutely foaming.

If you want to really test the Bandits in FM10 Kip, why not create a huge world superleague? Make their way up multiple tiers from the very dregs of the world's worst teams all the way up to Real Madrid et al? Might be a bit time consuming tho :D Will be interesting to see them rise from 7th, 8th or lower tiers!

Whoever suggested the Bandits/Sheriffs cup idea: absolutely fantastic.

I expect a safe mid-table finish for the Sheriffs, because they always seem to end up performing better than they should, and they should be in a relegation battle, IMO.

I expect the Bandits to struggle for the first part of the season while the players gel, with them eventually hitting auto-promotion or a playoff spot at the end of the year, just not a win. Maybe I'm underestimating AI teams' ability to gel quickly, but I've always found problems making that many changes at once.

I think the additions the Bandits have made should see them up as Champions, and comfortably at that. I know they've made a lot of changes, but the quality is so far superior to the opposition they should have no problems.

I've just seen the announcement thread for FM10, and although I might not get it (waiting for FM11)

Just curious. I know you missed out on '08, but do you have any reason why you're not planning on getting FM10? Is it just some kind of phobia of even numbers? :D

Just curious. I know you missed out on '08, but do you have any reason why you're not planning on getting FM10? Is it just some kind of phobia of even numbers? :D

:D No, I've only ever got every second version, because I don't have that much time to actually play it - my management style is to take young players and mould them into superstars, and if I got the game every year I'd never see that play out.

I'm still in my first season of FM09 away from this experiment :)

Only just caught on to this thread (and many others in this part of the forum) and I must say, its an enthralling read! Thumbs up kipz, doing a great job!! Never thought Id ever be interested in this sorta stuff but you've got me hooked :D Keep it up pal, I eagerly await the rest of this update! x

Failing on the playoffs was merely a setback. You'll now see the true, astonishing Bandits people. Sit back and enjoi ;)

About FM10's competition edit feature: We just have to ask for more in FM11 so we may have an even more exciting (how it will be is beyond my imagination to be honest) experiment on the mighty Bandits.

KUTGW Kip, as always waiting for the next update ;):thup:

Now the Bandits have to take the league! Go Bandits! :thup: Personally, I don't think that the Sheriffs will get relegated next year. They have the financial muscle to spend in January when their idiot manager has already realized they need a better squad. :) It's most likely a mid-table finish they'll achieve. :)

Aren't media predictions and odds from bookies simply a reflection of club reputation? Odds for individual matches might also be augmented by the club's current league position, relative to the opponent, but I don't think it's much more complicated than that. Could be wrong though.

I might have to look into it some more.

You're correct about media predictions and title odds from bookies; individual match odds also consider form and where the match is played. And in my experience, board expectations seem to be a function of reputation and the chairman's ambition.
Yeah, that's right - the media predictions are hilariously bad for newly promoted teams.

Thanks for the replies.

Shame. I was hoping the predictions might be a bit more in-depth what with the financial situation of both clubs and players that have been signed. Still, its not a vital part of the game.

Kip, what have the chairmen expectations been for the seasons? I would be interested to see the board confidence screens at some point. For example, how did the fans react to the selling of the starlets after the first 6 months? Were they annoyed at letting the talent go, or not fussed as the Bandits achieved promotion anyway?

I am personally foaming at the mouth at the prospect of lower league divisions in FM10. I personally am happy with a fake setup or the real one whatrever you want to do Kip, but it is going to be awesome to see it happen! And my prediction for this year is relegation for the Sherrifs and promotion for the Bandits. 'Mon The Bandits!

I was personally not going to buy FM10 but now with the editor update I cant wait for it. I would love to see the a cup beetween only the bandits and the sheriffs in the FM 11 experiment but I would like to see the winner in that one recieve some addition match.

I would also prefer if you didnt make a fake leage but the real one.

And you dont really need a experiment for FM 10 anyway we have Notts County for that.

Good. The Sheriffs are going to have a Brom season in the Championship, while the Bandits are looking to possibly promote themselves and stay that way, potentially even (with a few quality signings in January and the next year) a double promotion.

They're certainly setting themselves to dominate League One, anyway.

Oh, you beauty. I've just seen the announcement thread for FM10, and although I might not get it (waiting for FM11), it does include a feature I've been wanting for this experiment for ages.

Competition editing and Competition addition

Argggghhhh, after I've spent hour upon hour generating a fake league within the confines of FM09 for my experiment, they go and add it as a feature for the next game. I'm delighted that they've done it, because it was definitely needed, but it's just so frustrating when it was exactly what I needed.

As much as i'm excited for the new editor details in the new fm leading to more indepth and even more exciting bandits experiments in the future, I'm still eagerly awaiting the next update of this experiment. And who will go up. I've got a few cheeky predictions for the next few years in this experiment.

1. Either The Bandits or The Sheriffs will win the League Cup. This or next season. Knocking-out at least one of the 'top 4' in the Premiership.

2. A Former Bandit will join The Sheriffs in the Premiership once they get there. For big money.

3. A Former Sheriff will join The Bandits for a nominal fee in the Championship.

4. A Former Sheriff will come back to The Bandits once they reach the Premiership.

5. Sheriffs Idiot manager will leave to manage a top 4 club, And He'll be sacked by them within six-months.

the first Bandits season in the Premier League is going to be exciting stuff, if trends are to be followed - a huge, out of their league signing or two for huge huge money on the way! I'd love for them to go all out and shell out £80m on a few 180+ CA players.

the first Bandits season in the Premier League is going to be exciting stuff, if trends are to be followed - a huge, out of their league signing or two for huge huge money on the way! I'd love for them to go all out and shell out £80m on a few 180+ CA players.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there!

Let's see them get out of league one first :)

Up the Bandits! Championship football, here we come!

As for the Sheriffs, I doubt that five straight is on the cards. By the looks of things, they just don't have the squad to compete with the upper-echelon Championship sides (much less the relegated EPL sides)...unlike the Bandits at this stage!

Archived