AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Yep England all the way for me here. Although I'd rejoice in an African win just for the shock of it all.

Still following the Sheriffs with a passion, what a season next year could be - slightly worried about the strength of the Bandits squad though

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extraordinary season from the Bandits, although it was inevitable with the squad they've put together.

One point though, and I've noticed that most of the starlets seem stuck on a CA of 199, and the 4 world stars all stayed 1 point below their PA. Seems strange that none of those players have made it all the way.

re. Bandits v Sheriffs playoffs final - no need to have Kip stream or whatever. What he should be doing, if he really values our investment in his experiment, is: booking Wembley for the day, hiring two squads of footballers, inviting us all along, and having the match play out precisely as it happened on his savegame. (It may take a little rehearsal.)

It's the only real option.

Whoa! I'm definitely booking a flight if that'll be happening :p There won't be a playoff final like Bandits vs. Sheriffs though. Either, we'll end up getting straight promotion or Sheriffs crash out before the final or not even making the playoff spots.

Up the Bandits!

One point though, and I've noticed that most of the starlets seem stuck on a CA of 199, and the 4 world stars all stayed 1 point below their PA. Seems strange that none of those players have made it all the way.

Yes, I've noticed this too, and have come to the conclusion that it is impossible in FM09 to progress to your CA if you are not born with it.

I've done a Genie Scout search, and there are a bunch of players with equal CA and PA, but the highest value of such a player is only 140. Moreover, he is 25, and as such was already 19 when the game started. Quite possible, he was already at his peak.

Similarly, all other players were in the game from the start until you get down to CA 90, where we find a 20 year old regen. With these players, their PA is sufficiently low that their CA may have begun at the same level.

Of course, this is speculation. But it is interesting that no player over 150 is at his peak, and were it possible, you would imagine the likes of Messi would get there, being one point off so early in their career.

Bandits vs. Sheriffs in the Play Off Final next season. Sheriffs to win it!

I would expect Kip to find a way for us to watch it live!

I'd love it to happen, although you know I'd just be a git, do a match report up to the day of the final and then disappear for a fortnight ;)

World Cup 2014 – Quarter Final

Remaining starlets:

Goalkeeper 2 (Brazil)

Left Back 1 (England)

Right Back 1 (England)

Right Back 2 (France)

Centre Back 2 (Holland)

Centre Back 3 (Italy)

Centre Back 4 (England)

Left Mid 1 (England)

Left Mid 2 (England)

Right Mid 1 (England)

Right Mid 2 (England)

Centre Mid 1 (England)

Centre Mid 3 (England)

Centre Mid 4 (England)

Striker 2 (England)

Striker 3 (England)

Striker 4 (England)

Remaining idiots

Idiot Goalkeeper (England)

Remaining world stars

Kaka (Brazil)

Kaka is now the only remaining world star.

Italy v Brazil

The glamour tie of the round was more open than anyone could have imagined, Italy and Brazil going at each other with everything they had. Brazil had more attempts on goal, but Italy certainly had the better of the chances, and it took two outstanding goalkeeping displays to keep it goalless for ninety minutes.

Buffon and Goalkeeper 2 continued where they left off in extra time, saving everything thrown at them, and penalties were inevitable. No player fancied their chances of scoring against the two men, both at the peak of their game.

But the first four kicks were clinical, and the shoot out was poised at 2-2. But then disaster struck for the home side, Marcelo seeing his spot kick saved by Buffon. Cigarini stepped up to put Italy 3-2 in front.

Then it got worse for Brazil – Sidnei's kick was also saved by Buffon, and Montolivo had the chance to put Italy through with a penalty to spare. But Goalkeeper 2 came to the rescue, and the shoot out continued.

Pato still had to score the final kick for Brazil to keep them involved, but Buffon made his third consecutive save, and Italy were through.

It was an outstanding display of keeping – Goalkeeper 2 won man of the match, but Buffon made the saves that mattered. Centre Back 3 also had a good game for Italy.

England v Ivory Coast

England continued to have kind draws, although the Ivory Coast were certain to put up quite a fight, and had impressed so far.

But England were the heavy favourites, and struck after only five minutes, Strike 4 putting them ahead. Right Mid 1 added to the lead after 24 minutes, and England were cruising.

Throughout the game, England absolutely battered the Ivory Coast goal, but keeper Loboue was keeping the score down, hoping his team could pinch a goal at the other end, defence certainly England's weakness.

And with seven minutes left, they did just that, Romaric giving them a glimmer of hope at 2-1. And then, with a minute to go, they equalised, Kone striking to take the match into extra time.

England were fired up, and redoubled their attempts in the added period, and on the stroke of half time Left Mid 1 put them back in front. With four minutes to go, the Ivory Coast were finally finished off by Gerrard, the final score 4-2. England had an incredible 43 shots on goal, 24 on target, but they've conceded six goals in the tournament now, and don't look as convincing as they should.

Scotland v Holland

Scotland started the brighter, so it was against the run of play when Holland took the lead after ten minutes, Aissati putting them in front. The Dutch continued to look shaky at the back, Centre Back 2 not having the best of afternoons, but Scotland were unable to capitalise, and early in the second half Huntelaar doubled Holland's advantage.

Scotland pressed forward, and were handed a lifeline when Emanuelson picked up a straight red card for a ridiculous two footed challenge, but they held firm, and despite struggling in all their matches, Holland were in the semi finals.

France v Nigeria

France continued to be without Right Back 2 through injury, but when Konko put them ahead after 14 minutes, they were good value for their lead.

And in a disappointing match, that was largely the last of the action. Right Back 2 is touch and go for the semi finals, his thigh strain expected to last 3-5 more days. He may only make the final if they get there.

World Cup 2014 – Semi Final

Remaining starlets:

Left Back 1 (England)

Right Back 1 (England)

Right Back 2 (France)

Centre Back 2 (Holland)

Centre Back 3 (Italy)

Centre Back 4 (England)

Left Mid 1 (England)

Left Mid 2 (England)

Right Mid 1 (England)

Right Mid 2 (England)

Centre Mid 1 (England)

Centre Mid 3 (England)

Centre Mid 4 (England)

Striker 2 (England)

Striker 3 (England)

Striker 4 (England)

Remaining idiots

Remaining world stars

None

Italy v France

Right Back 2 wasn't fit enough to start for France but after recovering from his thigh strain took his place on the bench. Centre Back 3 lined up in the centre of Italy's defence.

An extremely even first half had just one major incident, Montolivo having a penalty for Italy saved by Lloris. Into the second half, and Balotelli put Italy in front, before Howard Webb awarded them a second penalty minutes later. Montolivo was still on the field, but chose not to take this one, Mazzarani stroking it home to put Italy into a commanding position.

Before long, France were back in it – Monnet-Paquet scoring to get the match back to 2-1, but that was as close as they got, and Italy moved into the final, giving themselves the chance of winning the trophy for an unprecedented third time in a row.

England v Holland

As they have in so many games in this tournament, England got off to a flyer, Striker 2 scoring after only five minutes, and by the half hour mark, they had stamped their authority on the game, Left Mid 1 making it 2-0.

Early in the second half, Centre Back 2, easily Holland's best player, rose highest to pull a goal back, but with Rob Green chosen ahead of Idiot Goalkeeper, England were a little more solid at the back, and held out for the win.

I'm just wondering if it is possible for you to save the match for the World Cup Final and upload it on the web? That way we can watch the match.

Not sure if you can do this for a club you do not manage though. But if so it might be worth doing the high profile matches too. Like Bandits v Sheriffs.

I'm just wondering if it is possible for you to save the match for the World Cup Final and upload it on the web? That way we can watch the match.

Not sure if you can do this for a club you do not manage though. But if so it might be worth doing the high profile matches too. Like Bandits v Sheriffs.

I think it would only be possible if the database was supplied with it. That way Kip could upload the match highlights for anyone that wants to watch it.

Just thought I would add to the masses of positive feedback for this thread, I happened upon it about a month ago and couldn't tear myself away, the discipline required for the depth of write ups is what impresses me the most. In fact, it even inspired me to register just in order to give you the Kudos you deserve.

All hail Kipfizh!

World Cup 2014 – Final

Remaining starlets:

Left Back 1 (England)

Right Back 1 (England)

Centre Back 3 (Italy)

Centre Back 4 (England)

Left Mid 1 (England)

Left Mid 2 (England)

Right Mid 1 (England)

Right Mid 2 (England)

Centre Mid 1 (England)

Centre Mid 3 (England)

Centre Mid 4 (England)

Striker 2 (England)

Striker 3 (England)

Striker 4 (England)

Remaining idiots

Remaining world stars

None

Italy v England

A Buffon-inspired Italy had knocked England out of the European Championships two years ago on penalties, and England were looking for revenge. Italy, meanwhile, were trying to become the first nation in history to win three consecutive World Cups.

Before the final, France secured third spot with a 2-1 victory over Holland, Babel's goal not enough to counter Konko's and a penalty from Toulalan.

The first half of the final itself was cagey, the bulk of the match being played in the middle third. Neither keeper was being heavily tested, and it looked as if the half would come to an end with the final scoreless. But in injury time, Italy took the lead, Quagliarella scoring for the champions, and the game took on a different complexion.

In the second half, Italy played some excellent possession football, restricting England's chances, and having better opportunities themselves. However, they weren't able to take them, and were left counting down time to the final whistle. England huffed and puffed, but never looked like equalising, having just two shots on target in the game, and Italy were champions once again.

Rob Green, picked for the final, was England's best player, which tells you everything – Italy deservedly win their third consecutive World Cup.

Lippi, the Italian coach, resigned after the game, going out on a high, while Argentina were confirmed to be hosting the competition in eight year's time.

Striker 2 was the top scorer with five goals for England, Olic with four, while Centre Mid 3 led the way with four assists. But it wasn't enough for England. Pogrebnyak finished with the highest overall rating.

I am glad World Cup is finished now. Next transfer window will be very interesting for both Bandits and Sheriffs.

I agree i see the world cup as a side competition, it's all about the club rivalry and if the Sheriffs are in a better position after being there for a year already.

Personally i want the Bandits to crush the Sheriffs into pieces. The rivalry has been quite healthy for the banter in this thread aswell.

Hi Kip, havent posted in any of your threads yet, but im a massive fan and have been lurking all this time.

Just like to say, outstanding work I really dont know how you do it. :thup:

Also few things I would like to point out about what we have found out about FM's engine.

1. Pace - FAR FAR too overstressed. Pace is hugely overrated in the game, it appears all you need to be succesful which is ridiculous. Looking at the stats of our starlet strikers and there ridiculously good records, its amazing considering there good, but certainly not best in the world stats. 14's for finishing, heading, dribbling etc? Yes they should be very good players, but deadly finishers (such as RVN) should still be a better striker. In real life look at somebody like Ivica Olic - rapid, two good feet and works hard, yes he is a very good player, but hes not in the elite bracket.

2. The Transfer system - both the bandits and the Sheriffs have done some crazy buys. I have been very very impressed with the players they have brought in, it appers they do actually think about constructing a proper squad. However, the players going out have just been ridiculous. It appears that a players stature at a club means nothing. Nathan Tyson for example should NEVER have been released - if that happened in real life there wouldve been a riot. It also tells us there is not enough transfer ACTIVITY in the game. Look at the players leaving the club - why have no teams bid for them? Or why didnt they go on the bosman ruling instead of being released to obscurity. For example players like Kilbey and Howarth should have had interest. CM 01/02 had a far better system, where interest of some sorts was always there when clubs realised you would be happy to let players go, or if the player wanted to leave. This should happen more often. In my current Staines game, I have taken the club to League Two from the BSS with the exact same squad - in the SIX seasons I did this, I received NO bids from ANY club for ANY of my players. Ridiculous.

3. Why are all the star players stats exactly the same? Couldent they be different to see (apart from pace obviousley) are the main stats? Why isnt there a target man striker? A playmaker forward? A goal poacher? Its a shame.

But brilliant work Kip, KUTGW!

Hi Kip, havent posted in any of your threads yet, but im a massive fan and have been lurking all this time.

Just like to say, outstanding work I really dont know how you do it. :thup:

Also few things I would like to point out about what we have found out about FM's engine.

1. Pace - FAR FAR too overstressed. Pace is hugely overrated in the game, it appears all you need to be succesful which is ridiculous. Looking at the stats of our starlet strikers and there ridiculously good records, its amazing considering there good, but certainly not best in the world stats. 14's for finishing, heading, dribbling etc? Yes they should be very good players, but deadly finishers (such as RVN) should still be a better striker. In real life look at somebody like Ivica Olic - rapid, two good feet and works hard, yes he is a very good player, but hes not in the elite bracket.

It's not just about pace though. They're perfectly consistent, motivated and invulnerable to the pressures facing normal strikers, genuinely two footed (RVN's weaker foot is a fair bit less than 14 finishing), have Drogba-like ability to win the ball in the air and no weaknesses to their game.

I'd say that the ambidextrous love-child of Steven Gerrard, Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry would have a pretty impressive scoring rate. Olic would score hatfuls if he had nerves of steel, a better first touch, a big aerial threat and always played up front

BTW, it was me that said England would dominate, so I'm all embarrassed now...

It's really not too surprising we lost the final, but with our squad (and especially former canary Rob Green! :) ) we should have won! But never mind, onto next season where the Bandits will definitely overtake the Sherrifs!

Oh, damn! There I go making predictions again!

It's not just about pace though. They're perfectly consistent, motivated and invulnerable to the pressures facing normal strikers, genuinely two footed (RVN's weaker foot is a fair bit less than 14 finishing), have Drogba-like ability to win the ball in the air and no weaknesses to their game.

I'd say that the ambidextrous love-child of Steven Gerrard, Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry would have a pretty impressive scoring rate. Olic would score hatfuls if he had nerves of steel, a better first touch, a big aerial threat and always played up front

How do they have a 'Drogba like ability' to win the ball in the air? They have 15 for jumping and 15 for strength, yes, decent but certainly not enough to properly dominate in the air, and 'no weaknesses'? what about all their technical attributes? NONE above 15, poor finishers either on the ground or in the air, passing of 12? pretty poor for the best striker in the game isnt it? How does being motivated assist your finishing, it dosent, and if in game it does thats simply ludicrous - finishing is a past art, and should be a much bigger attribute as a striker than it is.

It's not just motivation, it's all the mental attributes being high that lead to better performances. Compare Anelka and Raul if you want. Anelka was way faster than Raul, stronger and most certainly a better finisher too yet he acted like a **** for years and all he managed to get was transfer money. On the other hand Raul who's physical attributes aren't that impressive holds about a million records at one of the greatest football club ever and has more caps than anyone else for his country because he's got a great mentality, will alway fight, never gives up and actually works hard.

How do they have a 'Drogba like ability' to win the ball in the air? They have 15 for jumping and 15 for strength, yes, decent but certainly not enough to properly dominate in the air, and 'no weaknesses'? what about all their technical attributes? NONE above 15, poor finishers either on the ground or in the air, passing of 12? pretty poor for the best striker in the game isnt it? How does being motivated assist your finishing, it dosent, and if in game it does thats simply ludicrous - finishing is a past art, and should be a much bigger attribute as a striker than it is.

John Terry, one of the Premiership's top commanding centre backs, has jumping and strength of only 16, so a player with 15 jumping and strength is going to win plenty of aerial challenges.

Attributes of 14 and 15 are not weaknesses. There are only a handful of strikers in the Prem with finishing over 15 (9 of them in the FM10 demo) and none of them are quick and good in the air. None of them are flair players who can also cross, win the ball off opponents, have a half decent strike from distance.

Natural levels of confidence and consistency are massive boosts to a players' ability to finish (in many goalscoring opportunities, more important than the technical ability to strike the ball powerfully and accurately in a particular direction). I can't believe that anyone would argue otherwise

Archived