FM20 Experiment - Goalkeeper as striker in Liverpool (Inspired by Phil Jones ✕ Paris Saint-Germain)

After reading the Phil Jones ✕ Paris Saint-Germain story in reddit I decided to do a similar experiment. I am gonna take it to the next level by playing 2 goalkeeper as striker in a flat 442 formation.

The selected goalkeepers are Ben Winterbottom and Shamal George. Both comes from Liverpool's U23 squad.

Ben.jpg

Shamal.jpg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Viking said:

Well... I'm 52 and could'nt run 5 meters straight to save my life, and would score a goal per game with those players behind me.

But on a serious note, and just out of curiosity: whats Bens versitality?

Not sure about that, I don't have in-game editor to view his hidden attributes.

Interesting experiment. I'd be interested to see, when the experiment is done, the matches played and goals divided into open play vs penalties, just so we have a nice overview. Imo, the penalty goals will skew the stats and not provide the 'real' picture.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Interesting experiment. I'd be interested to see, when the experiment is done, the matches played and goals divided into open play vs penalties, just so we have a nice overview. Imo, the penalty goals will skew the stats and not provide the 'real' picture.

Indeed, from what I see here half of Ben's goals come from penalty. But for Shamal all his goals comes from open play.
One interesting point though, so far Ben never miss a penalty yet and there is no penalty taking attribute for GK so I wonder which attribute the game used to make decision.

Just now, kingking said:

I would of put him on AML OR AMR because it requires more skill such as speed and dribbling your way past opposition

him assisting and scoring from AML or AMR is more impressive than being a poacher

That's an even more extreme and bad ass test :D

I am gonna stop for now and to be continue later when I'm free. Here's the league and player stats after 10 matches.
Ben Winterbottom, let's see if he can win the golden boot:cool:

Standing.jpg

Ben.jpg

Shamal.jpg

Edited by russell9

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Bit concerning. Someone from Everton should try it with Pickford, gotta be safer for your team when he’s at other end of pitch.

but the story behind this isn’t great. Suggests that bigger formulas are deciding match results which can’t be inhibited by ridiculous scenarios. Liverpool wouldn’t win anything with 2 keepers up front. Obviously!!!!!

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Well... I'm 52 and could'nt run 5 meters straight to save my life, and would score a goal per game with those players behind me.

To be fair, you also have to take into account that you would be playing against Premier League defences. If Phil Jones scoring for fun in Ligue 1 can be somewhat shrugged off due to the league not being very competitive, this is a tad more concerning.

We're talking first season, one-star current ability goalkeepers and a 4-4-2, which in theory, should require strikers to be somewhat decent, since they have no close support in attacking midfielders. And yet they're topping the charts and have the team sitting on top? :idiot:

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

1) it is an experiment

2) There an automatic link to it. 

No need for such comments, thanks

It should be we're people will see it so It can be fixed not hidden in the background on a page nobody already checks

Just now, Mcfc1894 said:

It should be we're people will see it so It can be fixed not hidden in the background on a page nobody already checks

If he's looked for it to be investigated then it would need the save game and pkms for the bugs forum. As it is, it's merely an experimental thread

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

1) it is an experiment

2) There an automatic link to it. 

No need for such comments, thanks

Fair enough, but this doesn't look good. It would be helpful for the OP to share any PIs that have been set for the ST position, if at all. Would also be interested to see if they had any assists and whether the goals were scored from FKs or corners/open play.

Just now, Kingstontom88 said:

Fair enough, but this doesn't look good. It would be helpful for the OP to share any PIs that have been set for the ST position, if at all. Would also be interested to see if they had any assists and whether the goals were scored from FKs or corners/open play.

The save game and pkms would be the most helpful things tbh