Teams to Manage - FM19

BanOly

43 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Everyone's a hipster these days... :D

Joking aside, good luck with Hansa. They were in Bundesliga not long ago.

Edit: 12 years ago... Damn, i'm getting old.

Guess I am old also cause I do remember them playing in the Bundesliga, as well as their Swedish House Mafia ;) Thats why I've set myself the added challenge of only signing german or swedish players.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Russell10 said:

Lower league team prefer abroad

cool stadium

big name rivals

wee bit of history?

Catania in Lega Pro C Italy

Racing Santander in Segunda B Spain

Kaiserslautern in German 3rd Division

Uniao Leiria in Portugal 3rd

4 hours ago, silentwars said:

Top Six team in England, Italy, Germany or Spain. 

No league title victories in recent seasons.

Ideally a few good youngsters to develop too. 

Definitely Bayer Leverkusen. 

Unbelievably 0 league titles in their history and they also have an amazing young team.

5 hours ago, silentwars said:

Top Six team in England, Italy, Germany or Spain. 

No league title victories in recent seasons.

Ideally a few good youngsters to develop too. 

Define 'recent'.

Manchester United - no league titles since 2013, youngsters to develop include Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood, James Garner, Diogo Dalot and Marcus Rashford.

Arsenal - no league titles since 2004, plenty of young players to develop from first team players like Guendouzi and Maitland-Niles to the likes of Reiss Nelson too.

Liverpool - no league titles since 1990, youngsters like Rhian Brewster, Ben Woodburn, Trent Alexander-Arnold and a probably a few more (I'm a Manchester United fan so not so intimate with these other two suggestions). 

Roma - no league titles since 2000 (or 2001?), I think possibly only 4 ever, a young Italian midfield (Pellegrini, Zaniolo, Cristante) with a couple of young attackers too (Ünder, Kluivert) and also some aging parts to be moved on (the entire defence, defensive midfield and strikers).

Napoli - no league titles since 1991 (or 1992? Again, unsure on exact date) actually have a couple of decent young prospects - Gianluca Gaetano and Sebastiano Luperto have caught my eye on other saves.

Milan and Inter obviously also haven't won the league that recently either, but the former loaned out their best young Italian midfield with Sassuolo signing him permanently at the end, and the latter just don't do youth. 

13 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Define 'recent'.

Manchester United - no league titles since 2013, youngsters to develop include Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood, James Garner, Diogo Dalot and Marcus Rashford.

Arsenal - no league titles since 2004, plenty of young players to develop from first team players like Guendouzi and Maitland-Niles to the likes of Reiss Nelson too.

Liverpool - no league titles since 1990, youngsters like Rhian Brewster, Ben Woodburn, Trent Alexander-Arnold and a probably a few more (I'm a Manchester United fan so not so intimate with these other two suggestions). 

Roma - no league titles since 2000 (or 2001?), I think possibly only 4 ever, a young Italian midfield (Pellegrini, Zaniolo, Cristante) with a couple of young attackers too (Ünder, Kluivert) and also some aging parts to be moved on (the entire defence, defensive midfield and strikers).

Napoli - no league titles since 1991 (or 1992? Again, unsure on exact date) actually have a couple of decent young prospects - Gianluca Gaetano and Sebastiano Luperto have caught my eye on other saves.

Milan and Inter obviously also haven't won the league that recently either, but the former loaned out their best young Italian midfield with Sassuolo signing him permanently at the end, and the latter just don't do youth. 

Inter has plenty of talented youngsters: Dimarco, Vanheusden, Bastoni, Salcedo, Martinez, Barbosa, Pinamonti, Merola, Esposito

3 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Inter has plenty of talented youngsters: Dimarco, Vanheusden, Bastoni, Salcedo, Martinez, Barbosa, Pinamonti, Merola, Esposito

True, but most of those are loaned out at the start - I specifically mentioned youngsters who you can work with instantly.

I don’t expect you to infer that from my post though :) 

Edited by zlatanera

I would say AS Roma or AC Milan would give you the most challenge of those options and Man City/Liverpool would be the easiest I think.

Just picking my favorite teams (not necessarily in FM), I would say Man City, Internazionale or Real Madrid.

5 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I would say AS Roma or AC Milan would give you the most challenge of those options and Man City/Liverpool would be the easiest I think.

Just picking my favorite teams (not necessarily in FM), I would say Man City, Internazionale or Real Madrid.

I’m having the same problem! I’ve done the update on steam so the transfers so far are done! 

Roma losing manolos is interesting also they have bought some really good youngsters!

but then also debating inter but with the transfers they have some worry it will be to easy 

1 hour ago, Rollin93 said:

I’m having the same problem! I’ve done the update on steam so the transfers so far are done! 

Roma losing manolos is interesting also they have bought some really good youngsters!

but then also debating inter but with the transfers they have some worry it will be to easy 

If you want a good team in Serie A, that is still going to be challenging try Atalanta

On 22/07/2019 at 23:03, silentwars said:

If you want a good team in Serie A, that is still going to be challenging try Atalanta

Cheers I’ll give them a little look at

ive took an interest in real betis now they have signed fekir but not sure yet

18 minutes ago, Rollin93 said:

Cheers I’ll give them a little look at

ive took an interest in real betis now they have signed fekir but not sure yet

Atalanta finished 3rd last season. Only have a 20k stadium but have some cracking players, in particular Gomez. Real Betis would be a good save too, always going to be challenging with Barca and the Madrid sides.

This is a very good community for this so I’m going to ask something.

I would like to manage a team with an interesting backstory. Maybe an obscure one or one from a lower league in the top 5 that may have fell on hard times or just have a really interesting backstory. I love managing a team with a good story and would like to read some even if I don’t pick it to have a save with. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, charlie_hyett_123 said:

I would like to manage a team with an interesting backstory. Maybe an obscure one or one from a lower league in the top 5 that may have fell on hard times or just have a really interesting backstory. I love managing a team with a good story and would like to read some even if I don’t pick it to have a save with. Thank you.

Reims was on top of european football in the 50s. Leeds in England.

14 hours ago, charlie_hyett_123 said:

Melilla in Spain 3rd are from the continent of Africa. Can you bring an European trophy to Africa?

ASU Poli in Romania 2nd are a fan owned team, and for the first time in the same league with ACS Poli which is the team of the city hall in Timisoara. Can you fight against the authorities and win?

Luch in Russia 2nd are from Vladivostock which is like at the edge of the world. Can you cope with hours of flights for each game?

Hi all

I need your help!

I'm looking for a team in Italy, Germany, Spain or England that hasn't won the Europa League or Champions League and that can win the Europa League within the first couple of seasons.

Also a team with some good youngsters to build a team around or to sell for a high profit.

In a previous FM I tried this with Palermo (they had Dybala back then) and failed but it was one of my favourite games, so I'm trying to find something similar.

Grts!

1 hour ago, Gevers said:

Hi all

I need your help!

I'm looking for a team in Italy, Germany, Spain or England that hasn't won the Europa League or Champions League and that can win the Europa League within the first couple of seasons.

Also a team with some good youngsters to build a team around or to sell for a high profit.

In a previous FM I tried this with Palermo (they had Dybala back then) and failed but it was one of my favourite games, so I'm trying to find something similar.

Grts!

how about Hoffenheim or RBL ?

Just started an Atletico Madrid save on the updated database. How are they so skint!? 11m balance and basically no transfer budget and projected to get even worse.

Have to sell to buy and basically just look for young prospects for 3-4m. Sure they have just sold about 200m worth of players too

Yeah I'm using the 26 July update. 

I moved a few high earners out and managed to get Zaha though for 20m up front and 37m over 3 years so that's decent and they have a solid squad to start with anyhow to be fair 

13 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Rollin93 I would recommend Sevilla, Athletico Madrid, Aston Villa or if you want something a bit harder then try Bolton with all of their troubles they are having off the pitch.

Cheers for a response I’ll have to give them a look

i feel Bolton will only end badly for anyone 😂

43 minutes ago, silentwars said:

What kind of team do you want to manage? 

I don’t mind what league there in but I’d prefer a team that’s mid to top half of table quite young but also good enough to be in champions league within the coming years 

Can I make a similar request?

Maybe a French or Spanish team, preferably Ligue 1 or La Liga with a few decent young prospects and a fun side who could play attractive football early on and hopefully qualify for Europe within a few seasons. But then any other big leagues are welcome, preferably Ligue 1 or La Liga as they are they only ones Ive never managed in, but all are welcome.

Cheers

Without looking at squads I'd recommend: 

La Liga: Sevilla, Valencia - both have teams good enough for top four and you can try to overtake Barca and the Madrid teams

Ligue 1: Lyon comes to mind. Heard a lot of people say Marseille is fun to manage. Lille are usually good for youngsters. 

17 minutes ago, silentwars said:

@OJ403 would look at Lille first though, Pepe, Maia, Xeka, Bamba to start with. 50k stadium. Some experienced players like Jose Fonte and Remy. Should be a fun save. 

You might well have got it first time there. That does sound like a very solid option

1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

Can I make a similar request?

Maybe a French or Spanish team, preferably Ligue 1 or La Liga with a few decent young prospects and a fun side who could play attractive football early on and hopefully qualify for Europe within a few seasons. But then any other big leagues are welcome, preferably Ligue 1 or La Liga as they are they only ones Ive never managed in, but all are welcome.

Cheers

Real Sociedad (Real San Sebastian in-game if you haven't fixed names). Got some experienced older pros (Illarramendi, for example), one of the best GKs for a club of that level in Rulli, the faded starlet in Adnan Januzaj, and some young talents in Oyarzabal and Mikel Merino (the latter is probably only a year or two younger than Januzaj tbh, as he's only 24), and the on-loan Théo Hernandez. A decent stadium - around 33k - won't have much in the way of debts (they never did on previous versions) and money will be tight to start with which will force you to get creative (again, going off previous editions, I don't see why it'd suddenly change now), but Europa League is a reasonable goal for 1st season, and you can turn yourselves into a Champions League club in 2-3 seasons with smart transfer activity. Also Willian Jose is a beast up front. 

2 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Real Sociedad (Real San Sebastian in-game if you haven't fixed names). Got some experienced older pros (Illarramendi, for example), one of the best GKs for a club of that level in Rulli, the faded starlet in Adnan Januzaj, and some young talents in Oyarzabal and Mikel Merino (the latter is probably only a year or two younger than Januzaj tbh, as he's only 24), and the on-loan Théo Hernandez. A decent stadium - around 33k - won't have much in the way of debts (they never did on previous versions) and money will be tight to start with which will force you to get creative (again, going off previous editions, I don't see why it'd suddenly change now), but Europa League is a reasonable goal for 1st season, and you can turn yourselves into a Champions League club in 2-3 seasons with smart transfer activity. Also Willian Jose is a beast up front. 

Also a very good option, but the names would annoy me

Theres a fix on fmscout isnt there?

10 hours ago, silentwars said:

Willian Jose, just a shame about his speed...

I used him on FM18 (when he was good but not quite as good) as CF-Su in a possession system. He had Juanmi as IF-At on the left - most of our goals were either him feeding Juanmi who crossed for the RW cutting in at the far post, or Juanmi cutting it back for him. You just gotta play o your guys strengths.

Of course back then Agirretxe was the backup striker, and his strengths were primarily passing so both could perform the same role whereas Jon Bautista is a different type of player and you’d have to expect slightly different play depending on your striker.

Edited by zlatanera

• 3 weeks later...

Aberdeen in the Scottish League! Haven't won a competitive trophy since 2014 (The Scottish League cup I believe) and are previous European Champions. So a club with good history and toppling Celtic and Rangers is a decent challenge to cement yourself as a good manager and then move onto a bigger team?

Hi I am looking for a team to manage in a lower obscure European league. Ideally I'd like a team with some interesting facts or a good back story. 

Not leagues like England, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Holland, n.ireland, Wales, Scotland. Also not leagues where the teams are all named with 3 letters it annoys my ocd 😂

Does anyone have any info? Thanks

Edited by MShing

1 hour ago, MShing said:

Hi I am looking for a team to manage in a lower obscure European league. Ideally I'd like a team with some interesting facts or a good back story. 

Not leagues like England, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Holland, n.ireland, Wales, Scotland. Also not leagues where the teams are all named with 3 letters it annoys my ocd 😂

Lausanne in Switzerland 2nd division has a foreground sugardaddy, could be fun to try and tople Basel and Young Boys with the money and then bring the first European trophy to Switxerland.

ASU Poli in the Romanian 2nd division is a fan owned team and a phoenix one, you are in the same league (in the default database) with ACS Poli which is the team of the authorities. Can you do better with less money?

Iraklis Salonik are one of the oldest team in Greece but now found in the 2nd division (in real life this summer relegated to 3rd due to not getting their license). Can you first become the best team in the city overpassing Aris and PAOK and then fight with the big clubs from Athens?

Tabor Sezana from the Slovenia second division is as little as a team can get and from a city of 5000 people. Can you lead them to glory?

8 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Lausanne in Switzerland 2nd division has a foreground sugardaddy, could be fun to try and tople Basel and Young Boys with the money and then bring the first European trophy to Switxerland.

ASU Poli in the Romanian 2nd division is a fan owned team and a phoenix one, you are in the same league (in the default database) with ACS Poli which is the team of the authorities. Can you do better with less money?

Iraklis Salonik are one of the oldest team in Greece but now found in the 2nd division (in real life this summer relegated to 3rd due to not getting their license). Can you first become the best team in the city overpassing Aris and PAOK and then fight with the big clubs from Athens?

Tabor Sezana from the Slovenia second division is as little as a team can get and from a city of 5000 people. Can you lead them to glory?

Excellent suggestions Muttley, exactly the sort of teams I was looking for. All 4 of them sound very interesting. I'm going to have to load up all four and take a closer look. 

Thank you. 

16 hours ago, MShing said:

Tromsø in Norway. They're in the top division, but they've never won it - I think they may have come 2nd once and perhaps won the cup. But anyway, they're in the Arctic Circle - maybe the only top division football club anywhere that is - so the challenge would be to bring trophies (and eventually a European trophy) into the Arctic Circle! The location limits your fanbase somewhat (although when I managed them we ended up playing "home" European ties in Bergen, a ridiculous distance away) so you'll have to really be on it in the transfer market to strengthen. 

On 19/08/2019 at 23:11, zlatanera said:

Tromsø in Norway. They're in the top division, but they've never won it - I think they may have come 2nd once and perhaps won the cup. But anyway, they're in the Arctic Circle - maybe the only top division football club anywhere that is - so the challenge would be to bring trophies (and eventually a European trophy) into the Arctic Circle! The location limits your fanbase somewhat (although when I managed them we ended up playing "home" European ties in Bergen, a ridiculous distance away) so you'll have to really be on it in the transfer market to strengthen. 

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of playing in the arctic circle. Thanks man 

Anyone ever managed in Turkey?

Looking for a side project /successor to my Sporting save, I've been doing a Napoli save but I find the Italian league too easy 

I've never managed in the Turkish so wondering what the level is like.

I'm thinking of either going with Fenerbahçe  looking to overtake Galatasaray in the number of Super Liga Titles or  Başakşehir who came close to winning the league last year.

I'm kind of tempted by Başakşehir as they have a lot of good players who I'm massive fans of down the years such as Demba Ba, Emre Belözoğlu, Robinho , Clichy and Arda Turan.

But I'm open to suggestions I could of course try to  continue Gala's reign or maybe a team outside of Istanbul to break that reign Bursaspor (Who were actually relegated IRL) or Trabzonspor.

Alanyaspor also have another one my old Newcastle favourites in Papiss Cisse