• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jtaddy said:

HI ALL!!!

wanting a team to manage.. 

hoping you could tell me some big teams that have fallen down there respective leagues in their country that i could start with. Any ideas or recommendations 

Possibly Sunderland, Nottingham Forest (only fallen down a division but used to have European Glory), Portsmouth after they had point deduction for debt 

1 hour ago, ben.berry said:

Possibly Sunderland, Nottingham Forest (only fallen down a division but used to have European Glory), Portsmouth after they had point deduction for debt 

cheers Ben,  any teams abroad you know of, Germany, Italy, France etc

5 hours ago, lblanc said:

Anyone ever managed in Turkey?

Looking for a side project /successor to my Sporting save, I've been doing a Napoli save but I find the Italian league too easy 

I've never managed in the Turkish so wondering what the level is like.

I'm thinking of either going with Fenerbahçe  looking to overtake Galatasaray in the number of Super Liga Titles or  Başakşehir who came close to winning the league last year.

I'm kind of tempted by Başakşehir as they have a lot of good players who I'm massive fans of down the years such as Demba Ba, Emre Belözoğlu, Robinho , Clichy and Arda Turan.

But I'm open to suggestions I could of course try to  continue Gala's reign or maybe a team outside of Istanbul to break that reign Bursaspor (Who were actually relegated IRL) or Trabzonspor.

Alanyaspor also have another one my old Newcastle favourites in Papiss Cisse 

Why not Besiktas? It's probably a decent parallel to Sporting CP. On paper, maybe the third best squad in the country, a decent medium term challenge to try and overtake Fenerbahce and Galatasaray. Plus, they share the colours of your favourite team.

Basaksehir is also the club of the political establishment these days.

8 minutes ago, jtaddy said:

cheers Ben,  any teams abroad you know of, Germany, Italy, France etc

Germany - Kaiserslautern, Eintracht Braunschweig, Karlsruher SC have all won the Bundesliga beforehand but have since fallen 

Italy- Possibly Torino (the only team that comes to mind that used to be a threat but has since fallen) 

France- FC Nantes possibly

Other suggestions: KV Mechelen, Boavista and Leeds 

50 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Why not Besiktas? It's probably a decent parallel to Sporting CP. On paper, maybe the third best squad in the country, a decent medium term challenge to try and overtake Fenerbahce and Galatasaray. Plus, they share the colours of your favourite team.

Yeah Besiktas would be fun too. Didn't know that about Basaksehir :-o

I am looking to start possibly my last fm19 save this weekend. I am using the updated database with all the summer transfers. I'm wanting to try something different in a league other than the main ones. Maybe Eastern Europe. At a club capable of winning a European trophy within 5 years. Some good youth and to be able to buy low and sell high is the aim and keep building. I want a competitive league though with at least a few other challenging teams in it. Getting a European cup to Eastern Europe or to a new country is a great goal. 

I have a few options in mind

Zenit st Petersburg, spartak Moscow

Besiktas

Gent, Genk, Antwerp

Dynamo Kiev ( but the league looks too easy)

Lausanne ( how much money do you actually get to spend over a few seasons if anyone has tried them)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks 

Would any of you here consider it cheating to still use the 19.3 database even though transfers have been made irl? I'm thinking of going Leverkusen but would like to use Brandt and maybe eventually bring in Hirving Lozano. I was even going to use the update to replace Brandt with Lozano but he's now went and signed for Napoli! There are a few other players I would like to bring in that have now moved to other clubs irl too, I kinda feel bad using the 19.3 database now, but it would be good to be able to use Brandt at Leverkusen for the last time. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

I want to do a full on youth save, meaning home grown at club. It's typically a goal of mine, but managing in England after Brexit it makes it so hard to sign 18 year olds and hold them for 3 years cuz of work permits. Which country would allow for this to be assimilated the easiest?

I'd assume Spain, as you can sign from every EU country, easily from SA, and Africa and you can route them from U19s, to B team, to first team quite easily. Anywhere else? I don't want to have to worry about work permits on 18 and younger signings and I want to snap up tons.

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Would any of you here consider it cheating to still use the 19.3 database even though transfers have been made irl? I'm thinking of going Leverkusen but would like to use Brandt and maybe eventually bring in Hirving Lozano. I was even going to use the update to replace Brandt with Lozano but he's now went and signed for Napoli! There are a few other players I would like to bring in that have now moved to other clubs irl too, I kinda feel bad using the 19.3 database now, but it would be good to be able to use Brandt at Leverkusen for the last time. 

I'd do whatever youd enjoy most, it's only a game at the end of the day 👍

4 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Not all, I'd say it's less cheating than using the transfer update like I am as really that's for FM20. Crack on and enjoy - and post it in the Bundesliga thread :cool:

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I generally use 19.0 or whatever it is, as I don't like how the player histories of for example Krzysztof Piątek look when he appears to have moved to Genoa, made 0 appearances then moved to Milan all before 1st July. So do what you want man, I personally never download custom dbs anyway so how you outlined is probably how I'd do a Leverkusen save.

5 hours ago, steakfaced said:

I want to do a full on youth save, meaning home grown at club. It's typically a goal of mine, but managing in England after Brexit it makes it so hard to sign 18 year olds and hold them for 3 years cuz of work permits. Which country would allow for this to be assimilated the easiest?

I'd assume Spain, as you can sign from every EU country, easily from SA, and Africa and you can route them from U19s, to B team, to first team quite easily. Anywhere else? I don't want to have to worry about work permits on 18 and younger signings and I want to snap up tons.

Portugal has no foreign player rules, so you can sign a ton of 18 year old South Americans. Similar to Germany actually, although there you do have a slight issue of the B teams not being in active leagues unless you get really lucky and they get promoted (which is pretty much a lottery to get a team promoted into an active league). I don't think either has loan restrictions either. Holland is similar, with Ajax, AZ and PSV even having their B teams in the 2nd division. 

Spain is good for it because of the structure of the teams, provided you choose one whose B team is in the 2nd / 3rd tier, but you also can only register 2? nEU players (although it only takes 2 years for them to gain nationality). But ultimately I'd advise Portugal, Holland or Germany. If you're wanting to play on easy mode Ajax have by far the best squad in their nation and you'll be able to go far in the Champions League straight away, generating money and allowing you to snap up all those young talents (especially if you get a mega sale of de Jong / de Ligt), or Benfica have the most stacked academy in the game - a bunch of really good wonderkids with great personalities almost first team ready anyway, which means you can sell a bunch of existing first team players to raise funds, and they also have 4 squads: Benfica, Benfica u-23s, Benfica B and Benfica u-19s. 

6 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I generally use 19.0 or whatever it is, as I don't like how the player histories of for example Krzysztof Piątek look when he appears to have moved to Genoa, made 0 appearances then moved to Milan all before 1st July. So do what you want man, I personally never download custom dbs anyway so how you outlined is probably how I'd do a Leverkusen save.

Portugal has no foreign player rules, so you can sign a ton of 18 year old South Americans. Similar to Germany actually, although there you do have a slight issue of the B teams not being in active leagues unless you get really lucky and they get promoted (which is pretty much a lottery to get a team promoted into an active league). I don't think either has loan restrictions either. Holland is similar, with Ajax, AZ and PSV even having their B teams in the 2nd division. 

Spain is good for it because of the structure of the teams, provided you choose one whose B team is in the 2nd / 3rd tier, but you also can only register 2? nEU players (although it only takes 2 years for them to gain nationality). But ultimately I'd advise Portugal, Holland or Germany. If you're wanting to play on easy mode Ajax have by far the best squad in their nation and you'll be able to go far in the Champions League straight away, generating money and allowing you to snap up all those young talents (especially if you get a mega sale of de Jong / de Ligt), or Benfica have the most stacked academy in the game - a bunch of really good wonderkids with great personalities almost first team ready anyway, which means you can sell a bunch of existing first team players to raise funds, and they also have 4 squads: Benfica, Benfica u-23s, Benfica B and Benfica u-19s. 

Ah good shout. I did a Benfica save on FM17 and it becomes a bit too easy maybe, and in my current save they actually make deep runs in the CL too. I wanted to do an Ajax save but seeing as theyre so good (and you dont get the FDJ money) I might skip. In all my time playing I've actually never done a Germany save so that might be the one. That or going back to Portugal and picking a lower side. Cheers!

The Belgian league looks quite competitive and a good starting point for a career. Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Genk, Standard Liege and Gent all challenging for the title and some great young players in the league.

I'm thinking of starting off as Standard Liege, anyone had any experience with them or in Belgium. Is it realistic to win a champions league with them? That's my goal, otherwise just do a good job and use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job 

On 24/08/2019 at 22:44, Carlf788 said:

The Belgian league looks quite competitive and a good starting point for a career. Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Genk, Standard Liege and Gent all challenging for the title and some great young players in the league.

I'm thinking of starting off as Standard Liege, anyone had any experience with them or in Belgium. Is it realistic to win a champions league with them? That's my goal, otherwise just do a good job and use it as a stepping stone to a bigger job 

You forgot Antwerp :) called the 'great old' , played 13 years in the second tier, now finished 4th in their second season in the 1a( 1th tier).

On 24/08/2019 at 07:32, RandomGuy. said:

I'd do whatever youd enjoy most, it's only a game at the end of the day 👍

On 24/08/2019 at 11:23, Jogo Bonito said:

Not all, I'd say it's less cheating than using the transfer update like I am as really that's for FM20. Crack on and enjoy - and post it in the Bundesliga thread :cool:

On 24/08/2019 at 12:23, zlatanera said:

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the 19.3 database 👍🏻

Edited by Gee_Simpson

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/08/2019 at 13:09, rafaelbenitez said:

How about Altinordu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMo6faGBsM another member posted about them seems legit fun 

Want to try something different? Manage an amateur club in the third tier of Denmark football. I’m running a club called Odder.  Several of the other clubs in our division are semi-pro, but there are enough talented amateurs available in Denmark to compete with them anyway. 

Things I like:  no money concerns or contracts. If you don’t like a player on the team, just release him, there is no financial consequence. All of the amateur players on other clubs are potentially available for you to steal. If you can offer them more playing time they are likely to join your club. The other clubs can’t stop you. Of course the other clubs try to poach your players too. It’s interesting. 

My team is in good position to win promotion this season, and if we do I wonder what will happen. Will we be forced to become semi-pro? All clubs in the next level up are either semi-pro or fully professional. Our attendance average is only 300 and our income is tiny. We probably cannot afford to pay many players. 

Tip: if you decide to try amateur football in Denmark, look up a player named Rolf Toft. He’s a pressing forward playing for a lower division club. I got him to move to our club and he’s scoring more than a goal a match. 

E586E110-F01E-411F-8521-F568A2AE65FD.png

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I would just wait until FM20 comes out now tbh. 

Nah, stick to 19!  The demo will come out with bugs, t hen the full version  will have  minor patches. The  game is never fully ready till the final patch in  February anyways.

16 hours ago, Tummyowl said:

Feeling like starting a game as Genoa (Oldest club in Italy, and would love to take them to the top) either on Football Manager 19 or 20...

Any advice?

If you’re on FM19, then use the 19.1 database (squads from the start of the season, not January) so you get to use Krzysztof Piątek. Although if you’re more concerned with having a good defence Cristian Romero got a bump on 19.3.