Teams to Manage - FM19

BanOly

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Help!

I can not decide what save to start. I have two options. One is FC Laussane form Switzerland 2.tier, a club with foreground sugar daddy. The other is Chivas Guadalajara form Liga MX. A club who can only buy and use Mexican nationality players. 

Lausanne save would be like a long term one club save and the other would be more of a Latin America save with changing clubs and leagues. 

But I just can't decide what to do and always load up my current HSV save..

Guys,

i could use some help in choosing a new project, since the winter update has been released. I am mainly thinking either in England (since it is so competitive) either Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or Man Utd.......or Italy with Milan, Roma projects.....

Any ideas and suggestions would be very appreciated....since i am getting bored easily.....and i do not have much time any more playing FM as i used to have...so a good choice would be quite helpful !!!!! Thnx guys

Hiya guys I had a successful save with Man Utd where I didn't sign anyone and only used my youth squad, I really enjoyed it so I was wondering if there is another team I can repeat this with.

The teams I was thinking of was Barcelona, PSG or Chelsea etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for teams to be then please tell me as I am struggling to think of a team to keep me interested.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

The teams I was thinking of was Barcelona, PSG or Chelsea

I'd guess Barca might be a good one; not so sure about Chelsea - they have a lot of good youth players from the off but it isn't clear that they will keep that going long term.

Other clubs with good youth recruitment and a crop of decent prospects would probably include Benfica (in fact, most of the top Portuguese clubs), RB Salzburg, Genk (oft mentioned on the forums for youth saves), and Atalanta. I guess longer-term challenges would include AZ in Holland (and PSV), and Everton in England. Have PSG ever produced a youth prospect??

Yeah I thought PSG might be a challenge cos of that reason, I was thinking of PSG and just signing French under 25 players until I start producing decent regens but I just thought of Monaco and the only signing I would make for them would be Mbappe.

I like the suggestions you made of Salzburg but I think they would be too easily for domestic domination. Genk sounds like a good idea, can I ask what countries do Genk mostly sign players from, I know they use their youth players a lot as well.

I was thinking of Anderlecht last night.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Genk sounds like a good idea, can I ask what countries do Genk mostly sign players from

I'm no expert but looking at transfermrkt almost all of their ex-academy players in recent years have been Belgian. In terms of transfers, they seem to recruit a lot of Scandinavians.

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I am going to start an Anderlecht save only cos I done a Genk save about 6 months a go, I think Anderlecht buy a fair few African players so going to try do that.

In the past they had an Argentinian connection as well with the signings of Lucas Biglia, Nicolas Frutos, Matias Suarez, Nicolas Pareja, ...

9 hours ago, kos77 said:

@BadAss88..if don't me asking...what is your latest/current projects?..regarding teams. thnx mate

I've failed to start a long save yet for FM19 (longest is 4-5 months with Lazio), maybe now that the winter update is out I can find the time to start one..Hopefully!

But I'm finding trouble to really get into a save this year..I'm thinking about a save with a club out of the big 5 leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France) with a big team who missed out on the title the last couple of years (or at least the last year), so thinking about the following teams to start with:

Russia: Zenit
Portugal: Benfica, Sporting CP
Belgium: Anderlecht, Standard, RC Genk
Ukraine: Dinamo Kiev
Turkey: Fenerbahce, Besiktas
Netherlands: Ajax
Czech Republic: Sparta Praag
Greece: Olympiacos, Panathinaikos
Croatia: Hajduk Split
Denmark: Brondby, AaB, FC Kobenhavn
Sweden:  Helsingborg, IFK Göteborg, Malmö FF

Not sure, which one to choose..my preference is going to Benfica, Dinamo Kiev or Fenerbahce.

21 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Hiya guys I had a successful save with Man Utd where I didn't sign anyone and only used my youth squad, I really enjoyed it so I was wondering if there is another team I can repeat this with.

The teams I was thinking of was Barcelona, PSG or Chelsea etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for teams to be then please tell me as I am struggling to think of a team to keep me interested.

Why not try Athletic in Spain, who already have their Basque only policy? One of the most fun saves I've eve had was with them on FM12.

1 hour ago, BadAss88 said:

I've failed to start a long save yet for FM19 (longest is 4-5 months with Lazio), maybe now that the winter update is out I can find the time to start one..Hopefully!

But I'm finding trouble to really get into a save this year..I'm thinking about a save with a club out of the big 5 leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France) with a big team who missed out on the title the last couple of years (or at least the last year), so thinking about the following teams to start with:

Russia: Zenit
Portugal: Benfica, Sporting CP
Belgium: Anderlecht, Standard, RC Genk
Ukraine: Dinamo Kiev
Turkey: Fenerbahce, Besiktas
Netherlands: Ajax
Czech Republic: Sparta Praag
Greece: Olympiacos, Panathinaikos
Croatia: Hajduk Split
Denmark: Brondby, AaB, FC Kobenhavn
Sweden:  Helsingborg, IFK Göteborg, Malmö FF

Not sure, which one to choose..my preference is going to Benfica, Dinamo Kiev or Fenerbahce.

If you go for Kiev, make a thread? I've often considered them or Shahkhtar (where I'd limit myself to only Ukrainian and Brazilian players) and I've not noticed anybody else using them anywhere. 

Have you considered Lyon? One of the best youth systems on the planet, plenty of current wonderkids like Aouar and Ndbomele, a couple slightly older good players (Fekir, Memphis) but far from a perfect squad. Plus PSG are one of those few AI teams that are simply so financially mighty they never really drop off. I remember on FM16 I had a Lyon save going for about 15 years in-game and could never get more than two consecutive titles because they always had a high 90s season in them. 

2 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

If you go for Kiev, make a thread? I've often considered them or Shahkhtar (where I'd limit myself to only Ukrainian and Brazilian players) and I've not noticed anybody else using them anywhere. 

Have you considered Lyon? One of the best youth systems on the planet, plenty of current wonderkids like Aouar and Ndbomele, a couple slightly older good players (Fekir, Memphis) but far from a perfect squad. Plus PSG are one of those few AI teams that are simply so financially mighty they never really drop off. I remember on FM16 I had a Lyon save going for about 15 years in-game and could never get more than two consecutive titles because they always had a high 90s season in them. 

Great topic about Dinamo Kiev!

My longest FM18-save was with Lyon, so I'm gonna pass on them.. I really wanna start outside the top 5 leagues for this save.

5 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

Great topic about Dinamo Kiev!

My longest FM18-save was with Lyon, so I'm gonna pass on them.. I really wanna start outside the top 5 leagues for this save.

Ah right, I think my longest FM18 save was Lyon too haha. Tend to want to leave it out for a version, no doubt we’ll both be managing them on FM20. I kinda misread what you said in the initial post about the top five leagues. 

I’d advocate avoiding Ajax if you want a challenge, it’s actually pretty easy to hold onto your top prospects (especially if you go on the original db and keep Frenkie) and build up decent finances.  It’s fun, but you seem like you’re looking outside the box a bit and they’re not that. 

16 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Ah right, I think my longest FM18 save was Lyon too haha. Tend to want to leave it out for a version, no doubt we’ll both be managing them on FM20. I kinda misread what you said in the initial post about the top five leagues. 

I’d advocate avoiding Ajax if you want a challenge, it’s actually pretty easy to hold onto your top prospects (especially if you go on the original db and keep Frenkie) and build up decent finances.  It’s fun, but you seem like you’re looking outside the box a bit and they’re not that. 

No I think they're too strong for the domestic competition..PSV and Feyenoord wouldn't stand a chance. I'm strongly considering Benfica but they're a bit the same as Ajax, so it's hard to make a choice!

@BadAss88 the tyranny of choice...far too much of my Netflix / FM time is spent choosing rather than watching / playing. 

If you're considering a journeyman, I'll just give this absolute gem of an idea I came up with but haven't committed to yet:

Edited by zlatanera

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

@BadAss88 the tyranny of choice...far too much of my Netflix / FM time is spent choosing rather than watching / playing. 

I know that feeling :rolleyes:

Oh the number of saves I've started... and quit on FM'19 so far

Just now, Gungner said:

I know that feeling :rolleyes:

Oh the number of saves I've started... and quit on FM'19 so far

spent hours setting up a Sampdoria save...never moved off the first day. My Ajax save stalled as I just couldn't decide who to keep, sell and loan when I got to 1st July 2021. 

Just now, BadAss88 said:

Over 300hours in FM19 and still not one decent save :o

That sucks. I think my longest is 3.5 seasons with River Plate, done two seasons with Dortmund twice. Btw I edited my post just before with a link to a post where I had a great journeyman idea, just in case you're interested. 

4 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

spent hours setting up a Sampdoria save...never moved off the first day. My Ajax save stalled as I just couldn't decide who to keep, sell and loan when I got to 1st July 2021. 

That sucks. I think my longest is 3.5 seasons with River Plate, done two seasons with Dortmund twice. Btw I edited my post just before with a link to a post where I had a great journeyman idea, just in case you're interested. 

Now I'm considering Eintracht Frankfurt again..

Others on my to do list: Boca Juniors, Stuttgart, Internazionale, Fulham, ...

Maybe I just need to start with a nation and then see which job gets vacant.. (has always brought me great joy these saves)

EDIT: Serbia seems a nice challenge!

Edited by BadAss88

28 minutes ago, Gungner said:

My longest saves are Marseille (on the start of the 4th season atm), Blyth Spartans (1,5 seasons in) and Palermo (one season completed)... 

Marseille were on my initial list for this year, but I've kinda gone off France...although I could see myself finally managing Lens at some point, perhaps doing a youth-only. 

26 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

Now I'm considering Eintracht Frankfurt again..

Others on my to do list: Boca Juniors, Stuttgart, Internazionale, Fulham, ...

Maybe I just need to start with a nation and then see which job gets vacant.. (has always brought me great joy these saves)

EDIT: Serbia seems a nice challenge!

Argentina is fun, the league structure changes every year for at least the first three seasons, and unlike what will probably happen in real life, the Superleague Cup competition appears to continue indefinitely so there's a lot of matches. Inter have always been on my list too, got about 1 month in then Icardi broke his leg...he was the only reason I was managing them so gave up.

Your replies were of the best timing...cause i was started thinking that is smg wrong with me. I have spent over 400hrs in FM19 and still haven't completed one full season, as many of you also have said. So, that's a relief. 

I have tried so far, Man U and Chelsea but was too easy. Although Chelsea with winter update might be interesting. Spurs...well there were just Spurs. Milan was OK (in Winter update) but still...I am thinking of starting one save with Inter at last...or may be a save in a smaller league as you guys have suggested. We'll see...Sporting Lisbon , Fiorentina, and may be Cagliari seem interesting.

Having seen some of the replies about not being able to get into a game, which I can relate too a lot, this is what I have found that can sometimes help me get into a game. I load a bunch of leagues depending on how my pc will handle them, and then go on holiday for 4-5 months, start as an unemployed manager and see what clubs become available.

Hope that helps give somebody a different idea, if they don't know who to manage.

9 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Over 300hours in FM19 and still not one decent save :o

I have been exactly the same as you! Started loads of saves and spent hours and hours and never got a long term save going. 

Im not half a season in with Fiorentina though and think I've found my team. Very competitive league but they are a good team with a few wonderkids who have a realistic chance to win Serie A after a few seasons. 

Count me in about not keeping long-term saves.  I start a save, get through a season (maybe) then fancy trying out a new formation and start the whole process all over again!  I'm currently trying to get a 5221 working and rather than play as Newcastle again, I may look for another team to experiment with formation. 

League Two: Exeter City 
Ligue 2: FC Sochaux

Debating which team to pick. Anybody experience in one of both leagues and what is more of a challenge/fun? 

9 minutes ago, Rooks said:

Debating which team to pick. Anybody experience in one of both leagues and what is more of a challenge/fun? 

Exeter would be a good save. Twice they've got to the playoff final in the last two seasons and lost. See if you can break the hoodoo and get them (back) up to League One.

21 hours ago, Rooks said:

I had 10 seasons with Sochaux on last years FM. Have great youth facilities and produce some good re-gens.

How about Sporting CP in Portugal @BadAss88

Very good youth setup and the only one the Portuguese big 3 to not yet win the Champions League

Edit sorry didn't see they were on your initial list :lol:

Edited by lblanc

34 minutes ago, lblanc said:

How about Sporting CP in Portugal @BadAss88

Very good youth setup and the only one the Portuguese big 3 to not yet win the Champions League

Edit sorry didn't see they were on your initial list :lol:

It was my first save in FM18! Because they haven't won the title since 2001/2002 season. But this summer they lost many fun players like William Carvalho, Rui Patricio, Gelson Martins, ... so haven't find the courage yet to build them up again. Maybe after some good summer signings in FM20.. This year Benfica has a more "fun" squad!

But my next save is gonna be Borussia Dortmund (I know it's in the big 5, but I just wanna enjoy a save and they have a nice budget to buy some players!). I'm just trying to make a 4-2-3-1 work in a test save now and then I only have to find an alter-ego who realistically could take charge at Dortmund. Any suggestions maybe? I always like recently retired football players or legends from the 90's!

20 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

It was my first save in FM18! Because they haven't won the title since 2001/2002 season. But this summer they lost many fun players like William Carvalho, Rui Patricio, Gelson Martins, ... so haven't find the courage yet to build them up again. Maybe after some good summer signings in FM20.. This year Benfica has a more "fun" squad!

But my next save is gonna be Borussia Dortmund (I know it's in the big 5, but I just wanna enjoy a save and they have a nice budget to buy some players!). I'm just trying to make a 4-2-3-1 work in a test save now and then I only have to find an alter-ego who realistically could take charge at Dortmund. Any suggestions maybe? I always like recently retired football players or legends from the 90's!

I had a great save with Sporting think it was FM15 were I used the WM formation, got to the semi-final of the CL were in the first leg I beat Barcelona 5-0 at in the Nou Camp and was buzzing as the other semi final was PSV and Sampdoria so I had a real chance at winning it. I then proceeded to lose the 2nd leg at home 7-1 :lol:

In terms of alter ego why not go with Karl Heinz Riedle Dortmund and Germany legend

Edited by lblanc

Looking back over Sporting CP previous squads was definitely FM15

Starting XI and formation was

Capel---------Montero-------Carrillo

---------J Mario--------Gauld--------

---------Carvalho-----Adrien Silva-------

Silva--------Gyömbér------Cedric

---------------Patricio--------------

Only player I bought was Gyomber on loan with option to buy

Such a great fun save that was, Ryan Gauld was god in that game.

I remember just deciding to go with the WM as it just fit their squad Carvalho as an anchor man / half back and Adrien Silva as DLP.

I wonder if there is any other team around who'd have the team capable of playing a similar formation.

Edited by lblanc

4 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I don't know if this is a thing, but if it is: buy the editor, remove the Mainz manager, turn your manager into the exact same guy, put him in charge of Dortmund. 

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

I don't know if this is a thing, but if it is: buy the editor, remove the Mainz manager, turn your manager into the exact same guy, put him in charge of Dortmund. 

I don't have any affinity with Sandro Schwarz..

I'm in doubt between Dejan Stankovic, Luis Figo or Raul Gonzalez Blanco..not sure which one would be realistic

31 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

I don't have any affinity with Sandro Schwarz..

I'm in doubt between Dejan Stankovic, Luis Figo or Raul Gonzalez Blanco..not sure which one would be realistic

Raul played for Schalke for two seasons. So on the one hand, probably speaks some German which would be more realistic. But also Dortmund are their direct rivals. Still, would be a brilliant controversy irl

So after god knows how many hours of playing since I got fm19 on the day it was released I haven't had a long term save. But I have a plan from now to do 4 good saves to end it. 

One that I have just started now with a project as real San Sebastián. Then a second project in France, Holland or Germany. Then a 3rd save as my favourite team Newcastle as i need a good save with them at least once a year then finally on my last ever fm19 save I will treat myself to finally been a top team like Barcelona/Liverpool etc to really have some fun as I have only ever been mid table/Europa league teams at best really.

All that should take me from now until August then I will have a 3 month break so I'm ready to go for fm20 in November! 

Edited by Carlf788

Well, starting a journeyman save i just found THE challenge for this FM edition: Gaziantepspor in Turkish second division just offered me the job, and they have a 36 point deduction for financial mess. Let's start this mission impossible to save them.

Edit: i just got turned down by them :seagull: but i know my next fm save

Edited by Raymond85

I have been down the rabbit hole of not finding the team to manage and giving up easily on a save. For me, what usually keeps me going is writing about said save or using certain methodology (YDWAWK, Homegrown, etc.). 

I've also noticed that watching the games of the team of your choice would spur you on to keep going! :D unless the other team gets to have more charm... :D