Teams to Manage - FM19

BanOly

Inspired by Jogi Low's rebuilding of the German national team, I am tempted to start a Bayern save that basically rebuilds with younger German players. So Neuer and Hummels, and maybe Muller would go. Sule, Kimmich, Goretzka and Gnabry would be the only first teamers remaining. 

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Inspired by Jogi Low's rebuilding of the German national team, I am tempted to start a Bayern save that basically rebuilds with younger German players. So Neuer and Hummels, and maybe Muller would go. Sule, Kimmich, Goretzka and Gnabry would be the only first teamers remaining. 

I have done the exact same thing. I overtook them after the first season, and here is what have gone in and out. I have also bought Timo Werner for 30m£. All my fees are in Danish Kroner. 

55865089_327751147886103_6504702685319528448_n.png

I've recently started a Bournemouth save and it has been very enjoyable.

Apart from Danny Ings they have no "elite" produced players, i.e anyone good enough to play in the Premiership.

I've set a goal of becoming the leading club of producing elite players, by investing heavily in youth and training them at the club for 3 years.

In Cook, Ake, Brooks, Wilson, Mepham they have a great backbone of youngish players, the majority with good personalities, that will help with mentoring. 

They are also great for a homegrown challenge. 

The stadium is by far the smallest in the Premiership too.

I was trying to figure out the best Premier League team to manage if you want an all UK/Irish team, e.g. you'd have to sell the rest of the squad? It's a toss up between Bournemouth (though you'd need a GK and would need to sell Ake) or Burnley (Wood has second nationality English so that's a cheat, otherwise the squad is mainly English and Irish).

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

I was trying to figure out the best Premier League team to manage if you want an all UK/Irish team, e.g. you'd have to sell the rest of the squad? It's a toss up between Bournemouth (though you'd need a GK and would need to sell Ake) or Burnley (Wood has second nationality English so that's a cheat, otherwise the squad is mainly English and Irish).

Yeah those are definitely the two obvious ones. Otherwise you could go for United / City and combine their ridiculous transfer budgets with the income you'd get from selling all your foreigners (especially if you play them all into form in the first season) to build a pretty impressive all-English squad. If you have the money its not actually that hard to get players to cross the divide between them I've found - got Sterling on FM18 for United and could have had Stones too, and I've seen people bring Foden across whilst Rashford and Lingard usually end up in London when I'm not managing United so presumably could be tempted into a move closer to home. 

On 24/03/2019 at 08:55, Raymond85 said:

yes, and another team starts with -15. I am seriously considering to stop the journeyman save before it started to give them a try lol

Finances in Turkey are a mess in general (at least in real life) supposedly. Think there was a Tifo Football video all about the staggering amounts of debt in the league, seemed it'd be a fun challenge if I wasn't usually the one driving teams into debt lol. 

I am torn between Schalke, AC Harve or Reims for my next save, just thinking how realistic is it to get Reims in the Champions league after 4/5 years? Or any other intresting teams in France?

12 hours ago, Carlf788 said:

just thinking how realistic is it to get Reims in the Champions league after 4/5 years? 

If you have decent tactics and find good transfers, it shouldn't be an issue (even faster I think)

13 hours ago, Carlf788 said:

I am torn between Schalke, AC Harve or Reims for my next save, just thinking how realistic is it to get Reims in the Champions league after 4/5 years? Or any other intresting teams in France?

With a good tactic, you can get any team in the CL within the first year (top 5 league's). 

4 hours ago, GianniM said:

If you have decent tactics and find good transfers, it shouldn't be an issue (even faster I think)

Good to hear. Altough I couldn't manage it with Real Sociedad in 5 seasons. Was close to starting as PSG but it would feel wrong 

• 2 weeks later...

just entered 2030 in my bayern save and am thinking of which country to try next.

i think I would like to try serbia, croatia or switzerland. serbia and croatia have much better youth intakes, but switzerland has more big clubs to go up against.

does anyone know when serbia joins the EU (if it is hardcoded)? i seem to have missed that happening.

also does anyone have any idea of the prize/tv money offered in the leagues?

cheers :thup:

5 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

@zlatanera or somebody else? Any suggestions?

I like a challenge but I also like a great transferbudget :)

Ajax on updated DB - some players are better but Magellan is worse than Wöber and de Jong leaves after a year, with no money actually coming into the club despite his fee. 

Or try South America. River Plate are fun, Argentine league structure changes the first three-four years. On the original DB you still have Pity Martinez, on the update Quintero joins permanently and is one of the best players on the continent. They have decent money relative to app but the big Brazilian teams, and I managed three consecutive Copa Libertadores so it’s not too challenging, Club World Cup is though, and non-European teams actually care about it!

I'm probably going to finish my second season with Leverkusen, but I'm slowly losing interest in the save, so i don't think a third season will happen.

And thus I'm looking for a new club. I'd like one in the top 5 competitions (Germany, Spain, France, England, Italy). Money to toy around with would be fun. I also like to develop talents and get rid of the older peeps when the talents develop well. I also somewhat have a thing for fallen giants, btu I already did that with Inter as my first save. Wouldn't be against going back to Inter, I guess.

I'd prefer not to pick Liverpool since I tend to pick them every year. A big team like Juventus or PSG wouldn't be bad, but I think I'm saving those calibers for a last save to just mess around on until 20 comes.

Interested to hear your suggestions.

3 hours ago, RVP32 said:

I'm probably going to finish my second season with Leverkusen, but I'm slowly losing interest in the save, so i don't think a third season will happen.

And thus I'm looking for a new club. I'd like one in the top 5 competitions (Germany, Spain, France, England, Italy). Money to toy around with would be fun. I also like to develop talents and get rid of the older peeps when the talents develop well. I also somewhat have a thing for fallen giants, btu I already did that with Inter as my first save. Wouldn't be against going back to Inter, I guess.

I'd prefer not to pick Liverpool since I tend to pick them every year. A big team like Juventus or PSG wouldn't be bad, but I think I'm saving those calibers for a last save to just mess around on until 20 comes.

Dortmund have a lot of talents and more money than Leverkusen. But I'd imagine you want a change of scenery. Wolves might fit the bill, I don't know about their transfer budgets though. Lyon are another shout - one of the best youth systems in the game (although not as stacked as could be at the start, it'll produce players of real quality), a decent amount of money (with sales I raised enough to blow about £70m on defenders in the first 6 months of my save) and a lot of talent already in the squad: Aouar, Fekir, Memphis, Mendy, Ndombele, Traoré etc. 

20 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Wolves might fit the bill, I don't know about their transfer budgets though

Tiny budgets! Whichever database you start with, they've spent a ton on new players (and not very wisely, IMO).

20 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Lyon are another shout

Lyon were my first thought when I read the requirements. Don't know about their transfer budget, but they fit the bill otherwise - especially with the young talent coming through. 

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Tiny budgets! Whichever database you start with, they've spent a ton on new players (and not very wisely, IMO).

Lyon were my first thought when I read the requirements. Don't know about their transfer budget, but they fit the bill otherwise - especially with the young talent coming through. 

Any idea if they have much 2nd season onwards? I've considered them as a save too.

Yeah they're great, I would have stuck at my own save longer but peaked too early with winning the CL 1st season.

6 hours ago, RVP32 said:

What kind of budget did you get 2nd season with Leverkusen? I'm considering going either them or Leipzig

5 hours ago, warlock said:

Lyon's transfer budget is 40mil €

Other suggestions are Monaco, Southampton, Valencia, AS Roma or RB Leipzig 

11 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Any idea if they have much 2nd season onwards?

Sorry, no. I bailed on that save early out of frustration - I just can't play back-three systems this year and Wolves are really setup for that.

18 hours ago, RVP32 said:

What about AS Roma? 

They have alot of talent. Pellegrini x 2, Zaniolo, Cengiz Ünder, Kluivert, Schick.. They have okay money, not rich but not poor aswell.. It is also a fallen giant. Italian capital, and a big stadium. 

Slightly pondering a Sporting CP save for my next save

• Lost a few good players in the summer- Patricio, William Carvalho, Martins,  Daniel Podence, so a bit of a rebuild needed
  • Have a great history of youth promotion- Ronaldo, Figo, Moutinho, Carvalho, Patricio but to name a few, so I'd imagine they have a few who could step up.
  • Good challenge to try compete with Benfica and Porto, Portugal only gets 2 CL places now.
  • Last won the league in 2002, so time to bring it back
  • Only one the "Big 3" not to win the Champions League
Edited by lblanc

48 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

It appears this article was wrong then. Still an impressive heritage though.

Shall have to give a read of that.

Looking it up Van Basten joined Ajax at 16 and developed from there, Figo and Ronaldo both joined Sporting at 12 so yeah bit of a difference I suppose

1 hour ago, lblanc said:

Shall have to give a read of that.

Looking it up Van Basten joined Ajax at 16 and developed from there, Figo and Ronaldo both joined Sporting at 12 so yeah bit of a difference I suppose

Yeah Van Basten was so prolific from a young age you'd almost think the guy in the video of that goal is exactly what the poor 13 year old goalkeepers and defenders of 80s Netherlands had to face.

I'd still definitely count him as an Ajax product though, he wasn't playing professionally for anyone else. 

5 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@lblanc always one I've considered but never got to. They're the only club to produce two Ballon d'Or winners. 

Last season I tried them, but never got far..this year I can't bring it up with the loss of talent that left..Maybe in FM20!

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Anyone? :)

Both good sides with a bunch of young talent, strong finances and not much history in terms of trophies. It probably depends on your footballing politics - whilst they're both company-owned Bayer Leverkusen was founded as a works' team in the early 20th century, I believe at the instigation of Bayer employees and management supported it as a way to keep them fit. Leipzig is part of a network created in the 21st century by a drinks company that purchases and rebrands existing clubs.

But on the other hand Leipzig's network of clubs is leading to the development of talent that otherwise might never get a look in, like how they seen to have quite a few Africans coming through, and a commitment to exciting football. The former GDR is a footballing wilderness too, so anyone reviving the scene out there could also be seen as a positive.

Personally I'd never manage Leipzig though. Have you considered a smaller Bundesliga club, like Freiburg?

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Both good sides with a bunch of young talent, strong finances and not much history in terms of trophies. It probably depends on your footballing politics - whilst they're both company-owned Bayer Leverkusen was founded as a works' team in the early 20th century, I believe at the instigation of Bayer employees and management supported it as a way to keep them fit. Leipzig is part of a network created in the 21st century by a drinks company that purchases and rebrands existing clubs.

But on the other hand Leipzig's network of clubs is leading to the development of talent that otherwise might never get a look in, like how they seen to have quite a few Africans coming through, and a commitment to exciting football. The former GDR is a footballing wilderness too, so anyone reviving the scene out there could also be seen as a positive.

Personally I'd never manage Leipzig though. Have you considered a smaller Bundesliga club, like Freiburg?

I had rounded it down to those two really. Leipzig look like they have more prospects than Leverkusen and have stronger finances. Leverkusen have a very strong 4 in Bailey, Brandt, Havertz and Tah though. 

What's your reason for avoiding Leipzig, is it because of how they were formed? 

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I would go for RB Leipzig!
I think it's hard as Bayer Leverkusen to grow as a club, as I think that you will be the strongest in your first season, afterwards your star talents will begin to moan to go to bigger clubs and you won't be able to hold them let alone replace them with better alternatives.

10 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

If its down to two clubs play the pre season with both and see which one you like more and just continue playing.

And while posting I need a club where I can go all economic on. To reach a billion in balance, naturally a club with good academy, that already has good players wanted by big clubs, playing CL in first season is a plus etc. Not being Porto or Ajax.

Tnx

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I had rounded it down to those two really. Leipzig look like they have more prospects than Leverkusen and have stronger finances. Leverkusen have a very strong 4 in Bailey, Brandt, Havertz and Tah though. 

What's your reason for avoiding Leipzig, is it because of how they were formed? 

Yup, it’s entirely about how they were formed. I did read a piece giving pretty good reasons to hate them less, which I couldn’t find but roughly summarised in my reply to give a alternate view about why you might like them. 

10 minutes ago, exumo said:

And while posting I need a club where I can go all economic on. To reach a billion in balance, naturally a club with good academy, that already has good players wanted by big clubs, playing CL in first season is a plus etc. Not being Porto or Ajax.

Tnx

Lyon sounds perfect for what you want, top academy with plenty of prospects already in the first team and CL football first season. Finances aren’t ruined but have room for improvement 

Thanks for your help guys. It's a tough choice. I would hope to keep the big 4 (Bailey, Brandt, Havertz, Tah) at Leverkusen which could be difficult but is it possible? Leipzig have a great young squad too with strong finances which makes it a hard decision.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Won't it be just as difficult to keep your best players at Leipzig as it would at Leverkusen? Leipzig have a lower reputation so surely it would be even more difficult?

I think I'll do what @exumo said and try both out in pre season, since I have narrowed it down to just these two. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

3 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Won't it be just as difficult to keep your best players at Leipzig as it would at Leverkusen? Leipzig have a lower reputation so surely it would be even more difficult?

I think I'll do what @exumo said and try both out in pre season, since I have narrowed it down to just these two. 

Yes, but the talents at Leipzig are more replaceable in my opinion. It's hard to find bigger talents then Bailey, Havertz and Brandt in the game!

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Out of the big 4, I only lost Brandt.

However, end of season 1, Brandt, as well as Bailey, said they wanted to leave for a bigger club and I couldn't persuade them to stay. Bailey was already being watched 2 months into the season.

The only reason I still have Bailey is because no one bid for him and the one bid that did came in didn't meet the price I agreed with Bailey on. Tah didn't kick a fuss when I refused a Barca bid, but he's now being sniffed around again by Barcelona and Man City and he feels he should be moving to a bigger team.

Havertz is the only one being fully happy and that was never being targeted by a club. He only compained about his contract once, but I was happy to improve that. If I'd continue, I'd like him to basically become the club's eternal number 10.

1 hour ago, RVP32 said:

Out of the big 4, I only lost Brandt.

However, end of season 1, Brandt, as well as Bailey, said they wanted to leave for a bigger club and I couldn't persuade them to stay. Bailey was already being watched 2 months into the season.

The only reason I still have Bailey is because no one bid for him and the one bid that did came in didn't meet the price I agreed with Bailey on. Tah didn't kick a fuss when I refused a Barca bid, but he's now being sniffed around again by Barcelona and Man City and he feels he should be moving to a bigger team.

Havertz is the only one being fully happy and that was never being targeted by a club. He only compained about his contract once, but I was happy to improve that. If I'd continue, I'd like him to basically become the club's eternal number 10.

Thanks. What kind of budget did you get for season 2? Is there enough money to improve the squad? If I do go Leverkusen, I would like to build my team around Havertz so keeping him happy will be the most important and going by what you have said, will be the easiest. It helps that he's a Leverkusen supporter I guess. 

On 24/04/2019 at 16:57, lblanc said:

Slightly pondering a Sporting CP save for my next save

• Lost a few good players in the summer- Patricio, William Carvalho, Martins,  Daniel Podence, so a bit of a rebuild needed
  • Have a great history of youth promotion- Ronaldo, Figo, Moutinho, Carvalho, Patricio but to name a few, so I'd imagine they have a few who could step up.
  • Good challenge to try compete with Benfica and Porto, Portugal only gets 2 CL places now.
  • Last won the league in 2002, so time to bring it back
  • Only one the "Big 3" not to win the Champions League

Did you get this going? I am considering them myself, but I am having a hard time not envying Benfice and their wonderkids, and I am quite torn between the two clubs.

I just took a break from my Torino save, after seeing comments here about heading to Portugal, I have just taken over Vitória de Guimarães :cool: Great youth facilities as well! Just drew against CD Nacional 0-0 in my first game of the season, despite us dominating the game ffs.

3 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

Interesting teams with a ready squad to play 352? Bonus if that team got an awesome trequartista.

Frankfurt. Wouldn't try Rebic as a Trequartista though.

Atalanta play a 343 of sorts but you could probably make their squad do a 352 and stick Papu Gomez as your Trequartista.

1 hour ago, Adzke said:

Did you get this going? I am considering them myself, but I am having a hard time not envying Benfice and their wonderkids, and I am quite torn between the two clubs.

Just started it up Shall be putting together a thread on it probably over the weekend