World Cup Pundits Thread

Former England trio Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand will join the BBC's Fifa World Cup 2018 coverage from Russia next month.

Germany's 1990 World Cup winner Jurgen Klinsmann, Ivory Coast's all-time leading scorer Didier Drogba and Pablo Zabaleta, who played for beaten finalists Argentina in 2014, will add an international perspective to the Match of the Day studio in Moscow.

The BBC will televise 33 live games, including England's two opening Group G matches against Tunisia and Panama.

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker leads the BBC coverage throughout the tournament, which starts on 14 June.

Five other former England internationals - Phil Neville, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown and England women's Alex Scott - will also be among the BBC pundits in Russia.

Shearer, Lampard and Ferdinand join Lineker in the Red Square studio for England's first two matches.

Gareth Southgate's side face Tunisia in their opening Group G game on 18 June, before fixtures against Panama on 24 June and Belgium on 28 June.

Gabby Logan will report from the England camp near St Petersburg, while Scott, England women's second-most capped player, will appear on match coverage and across digital and social platforms.

The first glimpse of the BBC's World Cup 2018 marketing campaign will air during half-time of Saturday's FA Cup final on BBC One.

ITV 

ITV have unveiled its World Cup 2018 punditry team - featuring Gary Neville.

The Sky Sports pundit will link up with former Manchester United teammates Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra in Russia this summer.

Neville had been in demand for the competition but ITV have struck a real blow to the BBC.

Keane and Giggs will be joined by fellow regular pundits Ian Wright and Lee Dixon as well as some new faces.

Former United and France defender Evra will be part of the team, as will Eniola Aluko, Henrik Larsson, Martin O'Neill and Slaven Biliic.

Euro 2016 final and former Premier League official Mark Clattenburg will also be part of the ITV set-up.

ITV will show 23 matches with a further nine knockout games also set to be broadcast live.

Presenter Mark Pougatch will front the coverage alongside Jacqui Oatley with commentary from the likes of Clive Tyldesely, Jon Champion and Glenn Hoddle.

Wales boss Giggs said: "I always look forward to World Cups in the hope they will be the best World Cup so far.

"I think Germany start as favourites because of their experience at big tournaments. I don't think England can win it - there are much stronger teams.

Giggs also couldn't resist a joke at the expense of former teammate and pal Neville, adding: "I see enough of him during the year and he always orders expensive wine and forgets his wallet...

ITV will show the first game of the tournament on June 14 between Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Does anyone actually care about the ITV team? 

I thought that everyone just muted the commentary during the match & went for ****/coffee/smoke during half time for any match ITV covers.

4 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

After telling us all about Marek Hamsik before, I'm looking forward to the unknowns Lee Dixon brings to our attention this time.

if he's starting in the Belgian team, probably somebody like Dries Mertens

2 hours ago, Barside said:

Does anyone actually care about the ITV team? 

I thought that everyone just muted the commentary during the match & went for ****/coffee/smoke during half time for any match ITV covers.

Why limit it to ITV? BBC are equally as terrible.

5 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

After telling us all about Marek Hamsik before, I'm looking forward to the unknowns Lee Dixon brings to our attention this time.

I think you've mis-remembered this, Shearer was the one who said that not much is known about Slovakia's players, Dixon pulled him up on it and pointed out that Hamsik was pretty well known and a pretty good player.

9 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

What's Des Lynam up to these days anyway? Just disappeared from our screens. 

Wait, did he die? 

No, Des is happily still with us, at 75. I think we can presume he's retired from TV now.

1 minute ago, toon_84 said:

I thought they might have gone for Sue Smith on the BBC. She does a decent job on Final Score when she is on. 

Yea, but Alex Scott is hot 😘

1 hour ago, pearcey_90 said:

Probably because there's people who may not know who Alex Scott is?

Clearly this...and considering she's got a first name that could also be a bloke there'd be people "who the **** does he play for, never heard of him?" :D 

14 hours ago, Confused Clarity said:

Why limit it to ITV? BBC are equally as terrible.

I’ve always found their coverage to be significantly better.

15 hours ago, afced7 said:

I think you've mis-remembered this, Shearer was the one who said that not much is known about Slovakia's players, Dixon pulled him up on it and pointed out that Hamsik was pretty well known and a pretty good player.

I think this is what you mean.

Shearer being an absolute moron...as usual

Archived