[FM18] San Marin-oh no, not him again...

Bedese

Season Review

League

A strong season, and we were able to make the Playoffs, coming 3rd in our group. Unfortunately we weren't able to go far enough in them to make it to Europe, as Juvenes Dogana and then La Fiorita (who won the league for a third year in a row) stuck 3 past us to knock us out.

d6be08596cbbcb60d4cec996d0820c9e.png

Cup

We threw away a 2 goal lead to crash out 3-2 to Cailungo in the Semi Final (who then went on to lose to La Fiorita in the Final). 

Squad

Other Teams: Champions League Qualifying has changed (I'll explain later), and so La Fiorita didn't even make it to the 1st Qualifying Round, losing 4-0 to Lincoln from Gibraltar in the 1st Preliminary Round. In the Europa League there's also a Preliminary Round (ugh) and Tre Fiori lost 3-0 to NSI from the Faroe Islands in that. Tre Penne beat Lusistans from Andorra 2-1 to make the 1st Qualifying Round, where they were unceremoniously dumped out 5-0 by FH from Iceland.

Next year: I don't expect us to do much better next year. La Fiorita are far and away the best team in the country, and we didn't really get enough impact players through the last intake to push for Europe, in my opinion.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Champions League changes:

The winners of the four weakest leagues in Europe (by co-efficient) now don't even go into the First Qualifying Round, but first have to do battle in two Preliminary Rounds. The two winners of the First Preliminary game do battle in a Second Preliminary Round, with the winner of that going into the actual qualifications. That's a horrible idea, considering I'm assuming the prize money for getting knocked out in the Preliminary Rounds are going to be a lot less than you'd get for losing in an actual qualification round. Way to stifle the development of football in weaker countries, UEFA!

They went further with that, because the top four teams in each of the top four countries now make the CL Groups automatically, leaving less spaces open for other teams. Their solution to that is to have every single CL eligible team from a country outside of the top 17 in Europe now have to take part in every qualification round. That means that the 1st round won't just be teams from Andorra and Gibraltar like in the past (they'll get weeded out in the preliminary). Instead, we can look forward to being drawn against a team like Celtic or Dinamo (Croatia have the 17th spot on the co-efficient table right now, but that could change). Malmo? They're in the 1st Round. So are the Israeli league winners, the Polish league winners, the Serbian league winners, etc. That's going to make qualification for the CL an absolute nightmare. 

What makes that worse is now it's going to be a lot harder to get seeded, considering a lot of good teams now join the qualifiers at the start. No more being seeded in the fisrt two qualifying rounds relatively easily, I'm presuming. Instead look forward to a 1st Round Qualifier away at Celtic Park in front of about 60,000. If we win that, just three more rounds of qualifying to go!

That means if we want to make the group stage, right now we'd have to win six ties of football over about two months. We'd have to do that against some very good teams from very good countries.

Translation: Ouch. Cheers, UEFA.

EDIT: I guess one piece of good news is that your co-efficient now doesn't include the 20% contribution from the national co-efficient, which is good considering the other teams in San Marino never really help us out. But considering so many leagues are dominated by one team (Celtic, Partizan, Dinamo etc) that doesn't really male a massive difference.

23 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Not at all!

I'll copy and paste something from a copy of last year's save, because it's got the same thinking behind it:

Here's the deal. We're s***. The squad's average passing ability is 4.21. We're not going to try anything fancy. Instead, we're taking a page out of Charles Reep's book.

'Reeping your rewards':

Charles Reep could be considered the first ever football analyst. Born in 1904, the former RAF man would take notes at games using pencil and paper, coding events by shorthand. In total, he probably attended - and notated - more than 2,200 games in his life, including 50 pages of drawings for the 1958 WC final. In those 2,200 games, Reep discovered a tendency - the more passes a team made, the less likely that they were to score in that move. Only two in every nine goals came after a move with 3 or more passes, and so Reep theorized that the quicker a team got the ball into the opposing penalty area, and the less time they spent on the ball, the more goals they were likely to score.

Here's the issue - Reep was later proven wrong. His route one belief had failed to take into account a lot of variables. So, why are we basing our tactic off of a football analyst proven wrong in everything he thought about the game?

Well, it's simple. For us, Reep may well be right. We're absolutely hopeless on the ball. The more time we have on the ball, the more likely we are to make a mistake. Likewise, the more time the other team have the ball, the more likely they are to slip up. If we get the ball and punt it away from our goal, they're less likely to score. That sounds pretty good to me.

With that in mind, here's how we're lining up:

bedf42cb00175e001194e06f90fa342f.png

Get the ball and just pump it forward somewhere into space. Pressure their defence to make a mistake, and let our strikers go and chase any balls that come their way. We're awful technically and there's no point pretending otherwise, so the more the ball is in the opposing half, the better I like our chances.

Cheers mate. Good luck. Albertini looks quality btw.

Youth Intake Day!

7163c4d18e8618275826114f50b399a1.png

0e796b8c34e446cc126f99e51d67c28a.png

A little small, but otherwise he looks like a very tidy CB.

0ef713f38335e477eec7894646cd52ca.png

Great physicals, great mentals, 3 finishing. Hmm.

940be49fce4559c61e80485a036806a9.png

FB was our weakest department, so even though he's not very good he's going into the first team straight away.

Season Review

League

We never really hit form all season, scratching and clawing but ultimately drawing our way outside of the top three.

Cup

Knocked out in the Quarters.

Squad

Other Teams: La Fiorita lost 4-3 to Feronikeli from Kosovo in the CL 1st Preliminary Round. Cosmos lost 4-0 to NSI from the Faroe Islands and Tre Penne lost 3-0 to HB from the Faroe Islands in the EL Preliminary Round.

Next year: I'd like us to kick on a bit next year, from what was a relatively poor season this time.

10 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Think it is too easy now!!!

I was thinking that, but I reckon it makes sense.

When I ran tests on Youth Recruitment back on FM17 and bumped it up to 20/20, we didn't really get a huge amount of foreign players through, it was still almost all Sammarinese players - they just happened to be better than some of their compatriots. If you consider Youth Recruitment to be tied into the country that you're based in, it's feasible that you'd be able to get your Youth Recruitment up to average and attract better youngsters over the country with a reasonable amount of success on the pitch.

I think it was too easy back at Dulwich Hamlet, because we had a pretty high level even playing in the sixth tier of England as a Semi-Pro club, but it seems to be fine here. I'd say that even if we're able to bump the Youth Recruitment up to 20, that would be accurate - if we're as dominant domestically as we have been in the past, it makes sense that the best youngsters in the country would want to come and play for us rather than other teams in the country. 

25 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

I think the ease of recruitment upgrade makes sense. I imagine in real life it's a case of increasing the club's presence more than before. If you start at a low level, it should be easy to make small increases.

Pretty much my thinking :D 

Youth Intake Day!

75a4174d887375d4514d2a54f805e703.png

This is probably the deepest intake I've ever had. Every player bar one is 5* PA - and he's 4.5*. That's 15 5* PA players! I've only tagged the two I plan to throw into the first team right away, but really anybody from this intake could go on to be a big player for us.

5e1b12ef299a7bf320fe1e8279d8caab.png

Our old keeper left us, so he's our instant #1 as soon as we can register him.

4de31b40d298b45c125a9f6ee8b20627.png

Looks pretty decent in an area of need.

7 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

I was thinking that, but I reckon it makes sense.

When I ran tests on Youth Recruitment back on FM17 and bumped it up to 20/20, we didn't really get a huge amount of foreign players through, it was still almost all Sammarinese players - they just happened to be better than some of their compatriots. If you consider Youth Recruitment to be tied into the country that you're based in, it's feasible that you'd be able to get your Youth Recruitment up to average and attract better youngsters over the country with a reasonable amount of success on the pitch.

I think it was too easy back at Dulwich Hamlet, because we had a pretty high level even playing in the sixth tier of England as a Semi-Pro club, but it seems to be fine here. I'd say that even if we're able to bump the Youth Recruitment up to 20, that would be accurate - if we're as dominant domestically as we have been in the past, it makes sense that the best youngsters in the country would want to come and play for us rather than other teams in the country. 

Just as a matter of interest, have you done any under the hood checks on the quality of the intakes after the upgrades/increase?

I did a little test during Beta with a level 6 English side setting the all youth settings to 20 and the best PA I got was around 150.  I do wonder what the PA would be for San Marinese players in the same circumstance. 

On 11/18/2017 at 20:50, Jupjamie said:

0ef713f38335e477eec7894646cd52ca.png

Great physicals, great mentals, 3 finishing. Hmm.

Aim for his head, not his feet!

Good luck in Europe, has Europa League qualifying changed at all or is it just Big Cup that has changed?

On 19/11/2017 at 05:53, abulezz said:

Nice one - that GK looks like real quality, and congrats on the success in the domestic league!

Cheers!

On 19/11/2017 at 07:33, Pompeyboyz said:

Just as a matter of interest, have you done any under the hood checks on the quality of the intakes after the upgrades/increase?

I did a little test during Beta with a level 6 English side setting the all youth settings to 20 and the best PA I got was around 150.  I do wonder what the PA would be for San Marinese players in the same circumstance. 

I did on FM17, but not yet on 18. On 17 with 20/20 Youth Recruitment I think the highest we got was a 130 PA player, but we were getting a lot more players above 100+ PA than before - we had one in like 80 years (that I'm aware of) with the 2 Youth Recruitment, and we were getting them fairly frequently with 20/20 Youth Recruitment. I guess we'll see how much it helps this year :D 

On 19/11/2017 at 10:01, Toffle said:

Will you be asking your board to turn pro anytime soon?

Good question! That's my first priority, but we won't have the money to do that until we have three or four decent runs in Europe. I'm not spending money on any facility upgrades until we do turn Pro, because I don't see the need of having good facilities if they're for amateur players, the best of which will get nicked by Pro teams from abroad.

On 19/11/2017 at 10:37, Sheriff7 said:

Great youth intake!!Good luck in CL,thruth about Cl it looks much difficult now reach group stage.. :onmehead:

Cheers!

On 19/11/2017 at 15:08, mjaferrie said:

The CL qualification is a total joke :( 

Really horrific decision by UEFA. Not a fan of it at all.

On 19/11/2017 at 15:54, Keano16 said:

Back again! The recruitment fix is a welcome sight.

On 19/11/2017 at 16:34, akura said:

CL qualification is like the counter weight to the youth recruitment fix. 

Cheers guys :D I agree with you @akura. Seems like a fair trade off.

On 20/11/2017 at 16:43, smp20 said:

Woohoo!!! Youth recruitment is go!!! Will be following this closely :). Nice progress so far.

Cheers smp!

On 20/11/2017 at 19:12, Reggiana said:

Aim for his head, not his feet!

Good luck in Europe, has Europa League qualifying changed at all or is it just Big Cup that has changed?

Cheers! I don't know of any changes to the Europa League other than the one Preliminary Round. There might be some changes, but Europa League Qualification was never split into a Champions path and a Runners up path, so I imagine it's going to be the same thing? I hope, anyway...

a315dfd9f14fbbd41595c37517477d8c.png

They're just too good for us right now. They're far and away the best team in the country, and I've never had a Sammarinese save with one AI team this dominant before. It'll be fun trying to topple them, and San Giovanni have their first ever European adventure coming up :D 

7 minutes ago, Botas said:

Glad to see this back 

Turning pro is the first thing or at least semi pro but I would imagine your a good while off that yet. 

Cheers mate! Aye, definitely a fair few years away from that right now, but hopefully we don't lose too many good players on the way...

f156e3b00fa5d0acd3447383dd9a8015.png

Both teams were knackered and the quality was awful, but we put away our penalties and we head into the actual Qualifying!

d79c32eaf04d82256dedac54bbc71d33.png

Think that's about how much we'd get for winning in the First Qualifier, so fair play UEFA, at least.

5806028078f4cc29948f484b4f824a93.png

We're going to get absolutely hammered :lol: 

Started in the Second Welsh Division with Haverdfordwest County, inspired by your heroics in San Marino. Have to play grey players until the first Intake, but that's the fun ain't it? :D

Good luck, it would be mental to see a San Marino player to feature in Ballon D'Or discussions in 50-60 years from now.

Just now, BillHoudini24 said:

Started in the Second Welsh Division with Haverdfordwest County, inspired by your heroics in San Marino. Have to play grey players until the first Intake, but that's the fun ain't it? :D

Good luck, it would be mental to see a San Marino player to feature in Ballon D'Or discussions in 50-60 from now.

Superb to hear mate! Best of luck with it :D 

b8233846eb19b2c44875ec41d4a850ac.png

There was a very clear gulf in class between the teams, but we'll close that gap soon ;) 

0ea8e5cda311ab594c31063c21d2957e.png

21cce6099be88d778c2b708b257307f5.png

Might just be my memory, but I don't remember getting that much for going out in this stage last year. Hmm... wonder if UEFA have actually done something good for once?

Youth Intake Day!

Sometimes you get an intake that sets in motion the future for the club. This might be one of those times...

30b4f5b16bbee691a27d0cedf8db1cc5.png

2133adae14ed8939fe4e979c436908c5.png

You know you're in San Marino when a midfielder with 4 passing instantly becomes one of the best players at the club :lol: All jokes aside, he looks great as a BWM, potentially.

fd7fe96d19c0d8fa610ef4fbde1261db.png

7197761ed46e2c3e3c05ba469c400246.png

These two both look like very decent strikers.

1733386883160e2d06e00976ae10e263.png

Another undersized CB, but he's probably quick enough to push out to FB.

Archived