Football Manager 2018 Announcement

2 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Actually a simulation and in terms of the ME the aim at least was to make it look as much real football as possible and in terms of that the ME has always been quite poor, especially on 3D. 2D though has been really good in for example versions 2009 and 2013 where you really felt that there is not much space on the pitch during the games and that it's actually hard to create something. In terms of these FM 2017 for example was one of the worst as there are spaces everywhere and even small strikers are really bullying defenders.

Exactly, and Miles said five years ago that "within five years you won't see the difference between watching the 3D match than watching real football" I think that remark will be somewhat wide of the mark, unless the  match video for FM18 shows something different than I saw in the Features clip.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest El Payaso
32 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And at the same time, it's quite easy to say to yourself "this is a representation of football" and leave it at that.  The simulation aspect is fine for most aspects of the game, but why is there the necessity to hold that simulation aspect up for the ME (which will never be truly "realistic") at the expense of your own enjoyment?  Treat it for what it is, and if that's not good enough, fair enough.  Holding it up to unrealistic expectations and you know what you'll get.

Might be for you but I have compared it to real football ever since I started playing FM 11 years ago. :) And the expectations are not exactly unrealistic: having a match engine toe to toe like real football would probably be quite boring even for hardcore fans of the game while a satisfying balance and a feeling of real football have already been achieved. And it's not like years have golden the memories: watching videos of FM 2013 on YouTube look a lot more satisfying than watching videos of the most recent ones. 

You're right though on that I should try to enjoy the game a little bit more and I have decided that this year I won't concentrate reporting on bugs that much. I will only report those really glaring ones if I find them.

3 minutes ago, BlairNo.1 said:

I am trying to pre order now but it is not giving me the loyalty discount despite having FM2017 in my games library. My understanding was that you had to purchase by 09/10. Am I wrong?

That loyalty discount offer expired about two hours ago, at 6pm. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, zigaliro said:

Wasn`t the Data Analyst camera already in FM 17? I`m pretty sure it was.

It was but not as far out as this one seems, although Miles says it is zoomable.  To me the stairwells in the stand look out of scale.  i Know it is only a few seconds clip and we will get beter views later, but on this showing I don't particularly like the look of the stadiums.

6 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

the irony is that the ideal analyst camera is what we have had all the time in 2d :D:D:D 

At least the defensive midfield trio seemed logically spaced out and the back 5 had squeezed. So for all my gripes about defending maybe there are some improvements there :D 

1 hour ago, Anfyonuf said:

Will u be able to play with AC Milan with all of the players they signed or is that not an option

Agree that the ball was almost impossible to see, i only picked it up once it went out of play by the goal.

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

At least the defensive midfield trio seemed logically spaced out and the back 5 had squeezed. So for all my gripes about defending maybe there are some improvements there :D 

The DL not been drawn pot to closely mark the player on the right flank who is not a threat is encouraging, just a single passage of play but in past ME's a player woudl invariable take themselves out of the defence to needlessly cover a wide player who is 60 yards from the action & I'd like to hope that more intelligent defensive positioning is the norm in the new ME.

9 minutes ago, Barside said:

The DL not been drawn pot to closely mark the player on the right flank who is not a threat is encouraging, just a single passage of play but in past ME's a player woudl invariable take themselves out of the defence to needlessly cover a wide player who is 60 yards from the action & I'd like to hope that is the norm in the new ME.

It does look pretty good. Both full backs playing narrow. I'm guessing the defending side is set up 532 - could be the modern trend to 343 though with more drastic defensive transition in play (maybe an elude to some more defensive tactical instructions?)

Whilst it looks better... I really hope it is a tactical choice, not just another overhaul where its all automatic and hard coded.

Guest El Payaso

2D all the way. 

It's only couple of seconds but would be worried about couple of things: the strikers still staying at the halfway line instead of dropping deep and by that centre backs not taking any part of the attacking play as they're forced to stay back. FM 2017 was basically the worst in terms of this as the centre backs barely touched the ball while players higher up the pitch summed up crazy amounts of attempted passes. 

Other one would be the centre back reacting or not reacting to the striker. One step more from the striker and Capoue would be able to play that perfect bullet hard pass in to the area and the striker without an effort would control, turn and score. And this is basically a five defenders versus one striker so they should be more interested in nullifying him. Marking on those areas simply need to be more tight and players apply pressure to stop the nonsense goal galore that we had on FM 2017.

Just sayin'.

5 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

It does look pretty good. Both full backs playing narrow. I'm guessing the defending side is set up 532 - could be the modern trend to 343 though with more drastic defensive transition in play (maybe an elude to some more defensive tactical instructions?)

Whilst it looks better... I really hope it is a tactical choice, not just another overhaul where its all automatic and hard coded.

I'd like t think you're right & that PaulC would not make the same mistake for a second year on the spin.

21 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Marking on those areas simply need to be more tight and players apply pressure to stop the nonsense goal galore that we had on FM 2017.

indeed, there's no zonal marking once the play shifts into the box. 

"I'd like t think you're right & that PaulC would not make the same mistake for a second year on the spin."

the brothers get my money if you're right!

Edited by MBarbaric

8 hours ago, zigaliro said:

Wasn`t the Data Analyst camera already in FM 17? I`m pretty sure it was.

Only in name and that was scrapped. This is a new Data Analyst camera and you can see it's a lot more zoomed out than the old one.

2 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

I'm not that stuck on 2d (still mostly use it though), but this, I don't know. It is a great camera angle, but to market it as a new graphics engine is a little bit silly, looks a lot like regular FM17 3d, with a slightly different angle.

It is a new graphics engine, but the way you worded it, sounds like you're misunderstanding what a graphics engine is. It's just the engine. Code that draws and renders everything you see. It's not the graphics itself or the animations, although there are additions and improvements there too.

1 hour ago, Firehouse said:

Yeah, I might be wrong. But the thing you said reminded me of Lada picture.

f353e563a5fadb77776290db26b79b2b.jpeg

Same as FM. It looks the same, but the ENGINE is new :)

Excellent reply!!! :D

I also heard that stadiums look were significantly improved. Ok, I looked on last trailer and I ask: where? Which part of stadium? Hot dog shed? :) Shame...

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Nothing like jumping to massive conclusions over an 8 second video, eh?

Aye, I'm sure that Gal Gadot is nice and all, but I've only seen her big toe and it's awful.

right, it is well known that longer you play graphics become better :D 

17 minutes ago, armbi said:

This "NEW ENGINE" which is being announced so loudly, everyone can make himself just using SweetFX :) Every new FM series I do that and then 3D match graphic is satisfying.

As mentioned before, the graphics engine isn't the graphics itself. It's the code underneath.

1 hour ago, Dalglish said:

Do those stands really have sash windows in the executive boxes?!?!?  What is it - the Barratt Homes Stadium?

sash.jpg

lol took me a moment. looks more like a converted prison than a purpose-built stadium. broken Britain eh

sortitoutsi

16 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

right, it is well known that longer you play graphics become better :D 

No, they don't, but if the wider animations end up looking better, does it become as much of an issue in the context of a match?

I'm not saying they won't end up being terrible, but in all areas, there's some wild conjecture thrown out around these feature releases.  When the game comes out, we'll know for sure.  Just find the jumping to conclusions amusing, but a bit much.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

As mentioned before, the graphics engine isn't the graphics itself. It's the code underneath.

Wait a moment. When I played Call of Duty and heard that there would be "graphics engine" change to frosbite I could clearly see differences. So what does it mean graphics engine in the case of FM? 

Just now, armbi said:

Wait a moment. When I played Call of Duty and heard that there would be "graphics engine" change to frosbite I could clearly see differences. So what does it mean graphics engine in the case of FM? 

In every case, in any game, the engine is the code underneath. The code that draws and renders objects. What the objects look like, is the graphics.

6 minutes ago, armbi said:

No one knows, it doesn't affect the rendering or the match engine. It's best to wait for a video in which they explain what is exactly changed with the new graphics engine.

I can somehow see some better shaders and lightning on some parts of the stadium, maybe even on the pitch itself. However those who thought that this new graphics engine will bring a radical change to the actual graphics are in for a dissapointment.

Edited by andu1

From the first teaser, where winger is crossing, looks like nothing has changed. Just see player hands when he cross the ball, the same as FM 11, 12, 13 and so. That's why I ask: what changes it will give? You say: not the graphics. I see also not the animations, and we both know not the physics. So what???

2 minutes ago, armbi said:

From the first teaser, where winger is crossing, looks like nothing has changed. Just see player hands when he cross the ball, the same as FM 11, 12, 13 and so. That's why I ask: what changes it will give? You say: not the graphics. I see also not the animations, and we both know not the physics. So what???

We will have to wait for info from SI, so maybe in a video going into a bit more about the ME, graphics and the graphics engine, if they're doing one. I didn't say the graphics didn't improve or that there aren't more animations, because in both cases Miles has said that it did and there are. I'm just saying the graphics engine isn't graphics. The graphics, animation etc is built on top of the engine.

2 minutes ago, armbi said:

But I repeat: just look on YouTube some videos showing comparison of two 3d graphics engines. For just first look it can be clearly seen differences, in graphics too.

And as I said, we'll need to wait for a video/info from SI or judge from the game/demo.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Fine, lets wait for more info but it was a bold statement from Miles that "no one would want to play 2D any more."  The snippet does not lend itself to that statement

Thats what I was talking about! Thank mate!

As for stadiums I also do not see any improvements. You say stadiums surroundings? What for!? They better make finally stadiums look a little bit similar to its original! Camp Nou in FM looks like casual big stadium from anywhere in the world. Yeah, yeah -  licences, but seriosuly stadiums are randomly created.

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

You have to take into account it's the first pre-season friendly and the team has zero gelly.

might be but still it's something we've seen for the last FM's so that's worrying. 

Guest El Payaso
50 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

You have to take into account it's the first pre-season friendly and the team has zero gelly.

Yes surely it's that. Strikers staying far up the pitch because of the tactical familiarity. :D 

Simply looks stupid when strikers are bound to stay high up the and because of that for example a ball playing defender will never be taking part to the build ups. In real life for example Azpiliqueta for Chelsea is at times getting really high up the pitch and highly contributing to build ups and even getting his fair share of assists this season. This thing really is killing away lot of the realism and even tactical variety from the game.