Football Manager 2017 Pre-Release Beta Feedback Thread

18 minutes ago, hernansuperstar said:

I expect a lot more of Football Manager 2017, I didn't see any important new features. I don't like the beta. Please improve the beta with significant features (specifically I want a better team instructions with more strategies to assign to my team). 

What strategies do you want that aren't already there? 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would of liked to of seen some manager interaction, why cant we talk to other ai managers, build relationships good or bad  and so on and  better player interaction. also, fa interaction, like if you criticise the refs you get called to have a meeting with the fa about it and then they decide if you get a fine or touchline ban etc...

So far ive been playing fm17 for around 11+ hours and conceded around 10/11 goals, every one of them has been a 25/30 screamer within 2/3 minutes of me scoring not sure whats going on but its way too often in my opinion.....

anyone notice that there are hardly any key passes being recorded? is this something that is likely because we are still at beta stage? coutinho and firminio have not played a single key pass between them 8 games into the season. and its not just my team its the same for opposition. makes it a bit difficult because in fm the amount of key passes an attacking player makes is one of the key indicators of their performance. its very hard to judge how well attacking players are performing without this stat.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, sponish1 said:

anyone notice that there are hardly any key passes being recorded? is this something that is likely because we are still at beta stage? coutinho and firminio have not played a single key pass between them 8 games into the season. and its not just my team its the same for opposition. makes it a bit difficult because in fm the amount of key passes an attacking player makes is one of the key indicators of their performance. its very hard to judge how well attacking players are performing without this stat.

It has changed for this version, but worth raising on the match engine bugs forum for clarification - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Would like to see for the tactic set up a attacking formation and instructions for when my team are going forward and then a defensive one for when my team are transitioning from defence to attack and vice versus...

I believe this to be very important as this is how a manager/coach would set a team...

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, strods said:

Would of liked to of seen some manager interaction, why cant we talk to other ai managers, build relationships good or bad  and so on and  better player interaction. also, fa interaction, like if you criticise the refs you get called to have a meeting with the fa about it and then they decide if you get a fine or touchline ban etc...

So far ive been playing fm17 for around 11+ hours and conceded around 10/11 goals, every one of them has been a 25/30 screamer within 2/3 minutes of me scoring not sure whats going on but its way too often in my opinion.....

Manager interaction is mainly done through press conferences now. If you think there's a specific issue with how the match engine is playing, please raise it in the forum I've listed above, ideally with pkms or a save game showing the matches. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, strods said:

Would like to see for the tactic set up a attacking formation and instructions for when my team are going forward and then a defensive one for when my team are transitioning from defence to attack and vice versus...

I believe this to be very important as this is how a manager/coach would set a team...

Or perhaps one for all four phases of the game. Also, pressing triggers and pressing instructions pertaining to where on the pitch the pressing is being done would be a nice addition.

Genuinely surprised at the amount of people saying they see no changes to the game, although admittedly there are some screens that are essentially the same.

As someone who has pored over every beta like a hawk, and often been very frustrated, what really strikes me this year is that so many of the changes have been not so much boxes office as just genuinely intelligent helpful game-improving little details. 

It's the first release in a while where I've come away with that impression and I'm very happy about it.

2 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Can anyone explain the black lines with dots at the top of the league table on home screen? Above the position graph.

I'm sure they mean something but too low on brain energy to work it out

League positions after the rounds played.

22 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Genuinely surprised at the amount of people saying they see no changes to the game, although admittedly there are some screens that are essentially the same.

As someone who has pored over every beta like a hawk, and often been very frustrated, what really strikes me this year is that so many of the changes have been not so much boxes office as just genuinely intelligent helpful game-improving little details. 

It's the first release in a while where I've come away with that impression and I'm very happy about it.

Wish I could agree with you.  While some changes are very welcome like 64 bit & the fact that the deep super cross straight into the net has been fixed ( yay ), I am finding that it's a case of 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'.  Players are still dumb as f*** for the most part, just standing around waiting to be tackled, or slowing down to a crawl when clean through on goal so that the defenders can catch up, or walking back towards there own half with the ball at feet until they get tackled or more commonly in this version fouled, or incapable most of the time to find a team mate with a throw in, or completely ignoring tactical instructions ( set up for long throws, have a player with long throw stat at 17, not put in a single long throw in five games despite being told to do so.  Apparently the number of decisions they can make has been almost doubled but I think someone forgot to add in the brain cells as well.

Also, the social media stuff makes no sense half the time.  Gave a new defender a try out, he played on 5.8, gave away a goal through a stupid backpass and got subbed.  Social were saying how well he had played.....seriously?

I am honestly finding it hard to have fun with the game.

pos.png

These ones?

Its your last x number of matches, one on the right the latest.

If the top half is green you won, the grey dot is a draw and red bottom half is a defeat.

EDIT

Just to clarify its the last five matches so your team's current form.

Edited by Cougar2010

Ok. Thanks for replying, and I have no doubt you're right.
Can someone explain to me how it shows that. What does a dot represent? I'm near the bottom so don't think the black bar can mean i'm middle of table. 

Cougar - Ok I see black but not red but those black bars would indeed represent defeats. Not had any wins to witness representation there!

Edited by Per Annum
cougar replied

Cougar - Ok I see black but not red but those black bars would indeed represent defeats. Not had any wins to witness representation there!

Are you on the default skin?

I switched to the dark skin & its much more obvious.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

May have been answered already but how do I take over the training from my assistant manager? It has got him setting the training drills by default, looked everywhere but can't see where to change it...

Staff (left) > Responsibilities (Top) > Club tab then scroll down for training settings.

1 minute ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Do we not get a recommendation to what to change Match Prep to Mid Week in the Inbox now ?

Part of the opposition scouting report.

If you aren't getting it first question would be do you have a scout with a next opposition assignment?

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Part of the opposition scouting report.

If you aren't getting it first question would be do you have a scout with a next opposition assignment?

Hmmm. There is a scout assigned to next opposition (of course :p ) but the only pre match reports I am getting are from my Data Analyst. I might try reassigning the duty in case there is maybe a bug.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

Hmmm. There is a scout assigned to next opposition (of course :p ) but the only pre match reports I am getting are from my Data Anaylst

I don't have a data analyst but is that the one with all the tactical options that I get off my AM?

I'm getting the opposition report anything up to 5/6 days before the match with the match training options on it.

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I don't have a data analyst but is that the one with all the tactical options that I get off my AM?

I'm getting the opposition report anything up to 5/6 days before the match with the match training options on it.

The DA one shows you the passing lanes and heat map etc.

I had a look back ad it appears I had missed them, you are right they appear a good time before the actual match.

I'm beginning to see an inordinate amount of those 'crosses-shots' where the commentary says 'he didn't mean that' or words to that effect. It's half time in the game I'm playing just now, and there has been four of them so far. That's the kind of chance that should happen once in a while. My last three matches have had at least one example of this. Might just be a freak occurrence, but I'll monitor it. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm beginning to see an inordinate amount of those 'crosses-shots' where the commentary says 'he didn't mean that' or words to that effect. It's half time in the game I'm playing just now, and there has been four of them so far. That's the kind of chance that should happen once in a while. My last three matches have had at least one example of this. Might just be a freak occurrence, but I'll monitor it. 

No, I've seen quite a lot of them ( the cross come shots where the keeper ends up having to save or tip over ?) as well.

Also lots of free kicks on the edge of the box that just get rifled straight into the wall.

No, I've seen quite a lot of them ( the cross come shots where the keeper ends up having to save or tip over ?) as well.

Aye, that's the ones I mean, I've yet to see any of them go in, they're all tipped over the bar. 

8 hours ago, andu1 said:

To be honest, the issue is nowhere near FM 2015 levels and in fact i think it can be adjusted in the editor. Too many managers have 4-4-2 as preffered formation withouth any DM's and it's exactly those teams that score and concede more than the others. I sincerily doubt that flat 4-4-2 is that much used IRL compared to how it is in FM.

too bad we don't have a beta editor. :D

I'm using a flat 4-4-2 with a club in the lowest tier in Northern Ireland atm. In 3 preseason friendlies, the scores have been 1-1, 0-0 and 1-0. :D

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Is there a way to default from 'continue' to 'inbox'? I keep being sent to 'social feed' and sorry, but I don't find anything of the slightest use or interest in there whereas everything of interest appears in the inbox.

Yes, this.

When my u-18 manager sends me the report from my (and therefore his) u18 team matches, the message begins with

"I watched the u18 match today" or something similar.

Surely this is pretty redundant, I'd bloody well hope he watched the match. 

One of the minorest minor issues encounterable, but if we are striving for perfection it is my opinion that this could be improved to just something like "find attached my report" or hopefully something better.

3 hours ago, strods said:

Bring back wibble/wobble. :thup:

5 minutes ago, Jason the Yank said:

I'm using a flat 4-4-2 with a club in the lowest tier in Northern Ireland atm. In 3 preseason friendlies, the scores have been 1-1, 0-0 and 1-0. :D

And I'm using a flat 442 in ScotLeague2; I'm lucky if I see more than one goal per game. The quality of strikers is utterly awful, and I mean that in the best possible way!

Would also love to see an option to default to inbox, the social feed.....isn't very good.

I'm not even that far into my save and already see a lot of stuff repeated , it also seems that the Tweeted stuff has a negative, neutral and positive tweet to most actions and it's kinda boring and predictable tbh

Exactly the same thing just happened to me. I got the sensible advice, 'play 4-2-3-1 wide in the next game' so I clicked it, assuming it would switch to my other formation which was that, but no, it turned my 4-2-3-1 DM into a 2nd 4-2-3-1 Wide. Ah well. I've learned not to do that again...

11 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

once again the tactical advice.. when followed before a match completely butchers my tactics.

recommended to play 4-2-3-1 DM... I already have a tactic to that.. so why did it not switch to that, instead of butchering my 4-2-3-1?

Exactly the same thing just happened to me. I got the sensible advice, 'play 4-2-3-1 wide in the next game' so I clicked it, assuming it would switch to my other formation which was that, but no, it turned my 4-2-3-1 DM into a 2nd 4-2-3-1 Wide. Ah well. I've learned not to do that again...

On 19/10/2016 at 19:04, andu1 said:

Seems attacking play is definetly improved from FM16 and freekicks actually get in.

Yeah, I remember looking at the end of one season in FM16 through all the stats and the highest number of direct free kick goals scored by an entire club was 3

22 hours ago, Sherdil said:

I'm not sure if I saw it right...

Under 2D classic, you can now actually see when the Ref plays Advantage (seen by a yellow arrow on the referee icon)!

Did we have this last year or is this new?

If so... Wow!

It's in FM16 too. I generally watch in 3D but recently have switched to 2D Classic, with replays in 3D. Speeds my game up considerably. And I did notice a yellow arrow and initially wasn't sure what it was but then figured out it was the ref playing advantage. No idea if it was new to FM16 or had been there before tbh

12 hours ago, jmemour said:

Sometimes in a 90 mins game you only have 1 minute stoppage time in the second half which is really unrealistic. 

I found that the 1min stoppages were only if one of the teams was at least 3 goals up. Perhaps not completely realistic but totally understandable and I actually liked it that way.

9 hours ago, jockmick said:

Am I blind or is it not possible to see exactly how good a players weak foot is anymore? Now you can only know the preferred foot. There used to be a separate screen where the positions and PPMs were, and there you could see how good the player's feet were.

Player>Development>Tactics

7 hours ago, Marcusme1981 said:

FIrst of all, as you can see I am not a native speaker so It may be just a language problem. I think a inverted wingback should operate as wingbacks do in Man City this year. When trying to get the ball out of defence DM goes deeper, as a third Central defender, and they(wingbacks) come inside (acting almost like MC's). I don't know whether this is the case in FM2016

In FM16, they apparently act more as IFs. They don't cut inside to play MC, they go further up the pitch and then cut inside to more of an AM position.

In FM17, they won't work either.
Herne: " It's not currently possible in FM17.  The Inverted Wingback role won't achieve similar positioning to what you may see at Man City. "

Edited by Earnie is God!