Football clubs from capital cities

Like the title says, I am looking for a football club from capital cities. That being said, I am not talking about Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG etc. I am looking to see if there is smaller clubs that just did not make it to the top. That's exactly what I am looking to do and take over as the "main" football club in that given capital city.

Tried google a bit, and I found Paris FC. Would like some more to choose from. So if you know about a club, hit the reply button and help me out. Thanks.

Lyn Oslo are back in 2.divisjon (Tier 3, the lowest playable on FM) after their bankruptcy in 2010... Their reputation should still be good enough for a feasible challenge back to the top.

Lupa Roma is an interesting choice for their wierd try to mix Roma and Lazio colours and symbols... but besides that, I don't see much appeal in it

I'm just starting a save with FK Sinđelić Beograd to try and topple Red Star and Partizan Belgrade, however there is lots of clubs from Belgrade, OFK and FK Rad also, moving on you also have Prague where you could look at Viktoria Zizkov and topple Sparta, Zagreb and the chance to topple Dinamo with the likes of NK Rudes and numerous other Zagreb teams plenty of challenges out there.

There are plenty in the Czech Republic from Prague aside from the main one Sparta there is Slavia, Dukla, Bohemians 1905 and Viktoria Žižkov. There is also Bohemians which are unplayable though, could be a good challenge trying to overhaul Plzen & Sparta.

Any teams from south america worth picking up?

There are an awful lot of clubs in Montevideo and Buenos Aires. In fact the clear majority of Uruguayan clubs are from the capital, including their own 'River Plate'. Cerro, Fenix and Rampla Juniors to name a few listed on Wikipedia (I know). Ferro Carril Oeste would be a smaller Buenos Aires club among a bunch of bigger boys including San Lorenzo and Velez as well as the obvious two.

Copenhagen: AB, Brønshøj, Lyngby, Frem, Hvidovre, B 93 - just to name a few.

Lisbon: [...] Estoril.

I'm going to be a little pedantic here.

Of the Copenhagen clubs, only B93 is a real Copenhagen club, the rest is just clubs from the suburbs of which there is many.

Estoril is not even a suburb to Lisbon.

I'm going to be a little pedantic here.

Of the Copenhagen clubs, only B93 is a real Copenhagen club, the rest is just clubs from the suburbs of which there is many.

A matter of definition. Most Copenhageners will tell you that Valby where Frem is located is not a suburb but part of the city proper. And it's certainly part of the municipality of Copenhagen - which isn't that big areawise. Also, AB may play in Gladsaxe now, but historically the club has ties to the University of Copenhagen (the name roughly translates to "Academics FC") and as such is definitely a Copenhagen club.

As for the others - fair enough, but if suburbs don't count, then a lot of the suggestions in this thread are invalid, e.g. most of the London clubs. Of course it's up to the OP to decide, but personally I would say suburbs that are part of a metropolitan area count as "capital clubs".

Estoril is not even a suburb to Lisbon.

I have no particular knowledge of Portuguese geography and only "know" what Wikipedia tells me, so I'll take your word for it...

A matter of definition. Most Copenhageners will tell you that Valby where Frem is located is not a suburb but part of the city proper. And it's certainly part of the municipality of Copenhagen - which isn't that big areawise. Also, AB may play in Gladsaxe now, but historically the club has ties to the University of Copenhagen (the name roughly translates to "Academics FC") and as such is definitely a Copenhagen club.

As for the others - fair enough, but if suburbs don't count, then a lot of the suggestions in this thread are invalid, e.g. most of the London clubs. Of course it's up to the OP to decide, but personally I would say suburbs that are part of a metropolitan area count as "capital clubs".

I have no particular knowledge of Portuguese geography and only "know" what Wikipedia tells me, so I'll take your word for it...

OK, I'll admit that Frem in Valby is probably, and rightfully so, considered a part of Copenhagen. AB left the inner city about 50 years ago, so although they were founded in Copenhagen, I doubt few think of them as a club representing the city of Copenhagen today.

I suppose that it in the end it depends on what one considers Copenhagen. The greater Copenhagen area of today covers quite an area, but I doubt supporters of Lyngby or Brøndby considers themselves Copenhagen clubs, rather the contrary. An inner city Copenhagener may only consider something inside the old ramparts for Copenhagen and a Jutlander may think of Copenhagen as anything east Roskilde, so it depends.

As for Estoril, it seems that is officially a suburb of Lisbon, but my experience visiting Portugal was that it was located quite a way outside Lisbon.

Since nobody has mentioned Greece,here are a few small clubs of Athens(tier 2 because tier 3 needs an unofficial patch and increases the amount of clubs and players by a lot).

Athens: AEK Athens,although not small since it was only relegated due to financial problems and now has a pretty wealthy chairman,building a stadium and creating a pretty good squad.Apollon Smyrnis would be another choice.

Suburbs: Alimos,Fostiras,Kallithea

As for Estoril, it seems that is officially a suburb of Lisbon, but my experience visiting Portugal was that it was located quite a way outside Lisbon.

Yeah I did a quick search and it says about 20 miles away from Lisbon.

I suppose that it in the end it depends on what one considers Copenhagen. The greater Copenhagen area of today covers quite an area, but I doubt supporters of Lyngby or Brøndby considers themselves Copenhagen clubs, rather the contrary. An inner city Copenhagener may only consider something inside the old ramparts for Copenhagen and a Jutlander may think of Copenhagen as anything east Roskilde, so it depends.

Absolutely, just like people from Copenhagen think of Jutland as Aarhus + possibly Aalborg + one big nature reserve outside those two cities. ;)

I am quite sure, though, that people from Brøndby, Lyngby, etc. - just like people from suburbs in other countries - consider themselves to be living in the capital.

Again, I don't want to derail the thread further, just stress the fact that "capital" can mean many things, in general and football-wise. Take a country like Argentina. Below the two national levels, they have a "metropolitan" division for Buenos Aires clubs and a "federal" division for the rest of country. So are all the clubs in the BA division capital clubs? There clearly isn't one right answer here...

I had a great Union Berlin save but there's First Vienna in Austria, Vaduz (capital of Liechtenstein) who play in the Swiss leagues and San Marino who play in the lower tiers of the Italian leagues

Edit: Also Istanbulspor amongst plenty of others in Istanbul. Apart from that, all the others that people have mentioned.

I had a great Union Berlin save but there's First Vienna in Austria, Vaduz (capital of Liechtenstein) who play in the Swiss leagues and San Marino who play in the lower tiers of the Italian leagues

Edit: Also Istanbulspor amongst plenty of others in Istanbul. Apart from that, all the others that people have mentioned.

Istanbul isn't the capital of Turkey :). However there are a lot of teams in Ankara, not sure how many are playable but Genclerbirligi and Ankaragucu are the most well known.

Istanbul isn't the capital of Turkey :). However there are a lot of teams in Ankara, not sure how many are playable but Genclerbirligi and Ankaragucu are the most well known.

I remembered that as soon as I posted, but had already logged off etc so didn't change it.

Hertha BSC Berlin or Union Berlin. It's a shame that this incredible city hasn't had a relevant football club since basically forever. Last German Championship by a Berlin club was in 1931 (Hertha)!!

Well, there was BFC Dynamo Berlin in Eastern Germany, but nobody wants to remember that really.

Hertha BSC Berlin or Union Berlin. It's a shame that this incredible city hasn't had a relevant football club since basically forever. Last German Championship by a Berlin club was in 1931 (Hertha)!!

Well, there was BFC Dynamo Berlin in Eastern Germany, but nobody wants to remember that really.

Interesting that one. For such a wonderful country that really knows how to get things done, it's strange that a team from a wonderful city like Berlin hasn't really hit the heights.

I think before 1990 Hertha were hurt by the fact that they were in an exclave, separated from the rest of the country. Since the reunification, they haven't really been able to get back to their (much) former glory. And they play in one of the most beautiful stadiums in the world!

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned Sweden. The two big clubs in Stockholm are AIK and Djurgården, so Hammarby could be an option. They usually go back and forth between the 1st and 2nd tier. Or Enskede in the 4th tier if you want a real challenge. ;)

Always love a good Union Berlin save. Keep going back to them as the story of it is so good plus good scope for growth etc

Archived