Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

It would be totally unacceptable to go in to next season with our forward options being Rooney, Martial and Rashford (and maybe Wilson, too).

When you look back at some of the groups of players we've had up top it really is just astounding that these are our options now.

Cantona, Hughes, McClair, Cole

Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer, Sheringham

Rooney, van Nistelrooy, Saha, Forlan

Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha

Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov

Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, Welbeck

Rooney, van Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck

Rooney isn't close to what he was at his best, Martial is obvious quality but has a lot more to come, Rashford has done well but it is still hard to say how he will do long term. It's so far from the standards we need at the minute. Ibrahimovic, even for a season would go a long way to improving it immensely, but then the following season he's probably off again, and Rooney is another year *******.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be totally unacceptable to go in to next season with our forward options being Rooney, Martial and Rashford (and maybe Wilson, too).

When you look back at some of the groups of players we've had up top it really is just astounding that these are our options now.

Rooney isn't close to what he was at his best, Martial is obvious quality but has a lot more to come, Rashford has done well but it is still hard to say how he will do long term. It's so far from the standards we need at the minute. Ibrahimovic, even for a season would go a long way to improving it immensely, but then the following season he's probably off again, and Rooney is another year *******.

Although for a lot of those if not all, we had 2 or even 3 up front. Do we have any other than 1 up front with LVGs system?

Manchester United value falls £400m during the season

Manchester United's defeat at Tottenham left them four points off a top-four place

Manchester United's value has fallen by more than £400m since the start of the season.

United's share price on the New York stock exchange was $18.37 (£12.84) when they kicked off the season with a 1-0 win against Tottenham last August.

Twenty four hours after the return fixture on Sunday, a 3-0 defeat at White Hart Lane, the share price had fallen by 25 per cent to $13.83 (£9.67).

United's poor performances on the pitch have been reflected by falls in the share price and the value of the club.

At the start of the season United's market capitalisation was £2bn. On Monday night it had fallen by £412m to £1.58bn.

Defeat at Wolfsburg in December saw United eliminated from the Champions League

Since Louis van Gaal started work as manager in the summer of 2014 almost a billion dollars has been wiped off the value of the club.

On 22 July 2015, United had a market capitalisation of £2.23bn. On Monday night it was down £650m to £1.58bn.

United's poor performance in this season's Champions League and problems qualifying for the next season's competition are having a significant impact on the share price.

Dropping out of the Champions League after losing to Wolfsburg in December caused the share price to fall by five per cent to $17.82 (£12.45). It has continued to fall as United have struggled to secure a top-four finish in the Premier League.

In February, the share price fell below the 2012 $14 (£9.78) flotation level for the first time. In the same month United announced a record quarterly profit of £18.6m.

Off the pitch, business is booming and United are on course to overtake Real Madrid as the world's richest club.

Louis van Gaal has one year still to run on his Old Trafford contract

Commercial revenues have been rising thanks to a record £750m Adidas kit deal and new partnerships with companies such as Gulf Oil and 20th Century Fox. More riches are on the way with a lucrative new Premier League broadcasting deal starting next season.

On the pitch, performances have fallen a long way below the standards set by Sir Alex Ferguson. United are four points away from a Champions League place with six games left to play this season. They also have an FA Cup quarter-final replay at West Ham United on Wednesday.

Missing out on the Champions League for the second time in three seasons will cost the club at least £50m and increase the speculation surrounding the future of Van Gaal. The manager's three-year contract runs out in the summer of 2017.

Wow. Absolutely mind blowing that we still have this idiot in charge.

Although for a lot of those if not all, we had 2 or even 3 up front. Do we have any other than 1 up front with LVGs system?

This is my point although LvG doesn't seem to trust Martial up front anymore. Basically get LvG out and so many problems are solved.

No, but I would adjust slightly so two of the 4 would be capable of playing wide (so looking for a right sided one to compliment Martial, with Zlatan arriving)

LVG out too followed by Rooney with Kane in.

I'd settle for Jose and Zlatan though.

Higuain, Ibra, Ronaldo, Benzema, Aubameyang, Morata, Vardy :brock: , Kane, Lewandowski could all be moving this summer.

Would take any of them but only 1 is certain to give us no more than 1 season. Almost all of them are out of our reach but their movements could start a merry go-round.

I like Morata but he is a great big-game player but he and Vardy are a little out of place on that list :lol:

Would certainly take any of the others mind.

The big issue with Rooney is he just physically can't do what he wants to do anymore. When he's in a good place physically he's capable of putting nice little run together but they never last long.

How old was Teddy Sheringham in 99?

I'd hope if we have this circus for Ibra it's for more than 11 starts in all comps.

Yeah, bit much to throw McClair in with Cole and Ronaldo/Rooney in with Saha/Berbatov - even Rooney and Welbeck in with RvP given how that ended - when they often played in different positions to get enough games. Factor in Choccy's age and Saha's injuries and from what's left you've still got a number of instances of players not feeling like they got enough games, particularly up front. Plus you should really be including the likes of Mata and Depay based on the names you've listed.

still think with a better system Rooney has a couple of good seasons left but I realise I'm in the minority here.

Hardly a stretch given he scored seven goals (plus three assists) in the eight games before his injury, in a team that's scored only 39 goals in 32 league games this season. Read somewhere that this has been the longest injury spell of his career and he's still top scorer ffs.

Higuain, Ibra, Ronaldo, Benzema, Aubameyang, Morata, Vardy :brock: , Kane, Lewandowski could all be moving this summer.

Would take any of them but only 1 is certain to give us no more than 1 season. Almost all of them are out of our reach but their movements could start a merry go-round.

its amazing that most of them could be on the move this summer, there will be some huge transfer fees this year probably see the record go

Kane is the one I would want but he wont come to us now.....if any of them it would be Ibra/Ronnie due to the sponsors and shirt sales it would be fantastic to see CR7 back in a red shirt who knows what's going to happen as long as we don't get players in looking for a big final pay day just to appease sponsors/some fans

would rather we get some younger raw talent with one or 2 quality established players for the first team it depends on who the manager will be too, so too many variables at this stage to make any calls

Tbf Pan, it is away to West Ham, which is never an easy game. At home yes I'd be extremely disappointed not to win, but away is different.

Hopefully we show some fight again. After the Tottenham game I'm starting to err more towards not being fussed if Mata were to go. But as always he could easily flourish in a better system under a different manager.

As well as Rashford has done I think it would be the smart thing to remove him from the spotlight for a bit.

Lingard is a player who doesn't take risks and just does the basics to an average standard. LVG's style of player.

Fellaini in for this match makes sense, in order to handle Carroll.

Surely we would be better served with 6'4 Smalling sorting Carroll and a mobile combative Herrera-Schneiderlin combination. He couldn't have picked a less mobile duo if he tried.

Not sure how a Fellaini + Carrick midfield is going to work out, I'm a bit baffled at Schneiderlin getting so few starts (edit, by that I mean it's going to be crap). But I don't have a particular problem with Lingard starting. He's better than people give him credit for. Would like a better player on the right, but with our current options, Lingard's allright.

Doubt we'll win, but LVG won't be fired until we technically can't qualify for the CL. People shouldn't expect anything else. Even then, I doubt he'll be fired until the season is done. Mutual agreement, yada yada yada, and some new guy comes one (hopefully not named Jose Stabinho).

Rojo really is an atrocious left back. Can't pass the ball and now was just left watching, stood way too far forward and infield, as West Ham's full back jogged forward.

Surely swapping him and Blind would be a lot better...?

Add to that Rojo has been a liability for the last two games. Had a mare for both. Would make much more sense. Rojo a CB and Blind was great at left back last season. Failing that Ashley Young. Would create space for Martial as well when he goes forward.

Archived