The Anybody But England Thread.

That's not our fault is it? Portugal and Spain don't share national TV like we do so it's a terrible comparison. I'm surprised it would still annoy you tbh, you must be used to it by now with Scotland not qualifying. The Welsh will just have to deal with it because they're never qualifying.
Are you implying there's some hope we will qualify for a World Cup again? That's the wrongest post you've ever made. :D

England were really, really good with the ball for large portions last night, and gives them cause for optimism. Just need to sort out the tactical naivety in defence.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok I'll bite. I never once stated anything about how far England would go. The English media somehow think England should be competing with the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany etc when in my lifetime, England have rarely ever beaten those teams in competitive matches. Lets be honest, those are the teams the media and pundits think your national team should be on equal footing with. England are on par with the best of the rest. The arrogance that's been spouted on here over the years suggests there's lots of fans that think the same.

But I've literally just shown you that the media don't think we are as good as them this World Cup? :D In the past you'd have a point, but I don't think we've been like that since maybe 2004?

Are you implying there's some hope we will qualify for a World Cup again? That's the wrongest post you've ever made. :D

I think you will at some point, I see some progress already and you're capable of beating the top seeds as shown before but you are so inconsistent it's crazy. The Welsh really never are though which is why they should just come support us instead. I kind of miss Scotland producing top players like McAllister, Collins, Hendry etc, it made those games in the mid-late 90's really good

A good example, was yesterday, when Lineker gave the score of a World Cup qualifying game for the English ladies team. That same day, the other home nations were playing & Wales ladies had also already had their result & had also won.

No mention was made of it. It's little things like that which irritate. They lose all sense of perspective when it comes to their coverage & it's all England, England, England.

not sure about World Cup but we'll probably make an extended Euros by the turn of the decade

I think we'll make Euro 16...

We're a better side than Poland and Ireland imo. No reason we can't beat them if you ask me... We need to get top 3. Germany will obviously be ahead of us. There's no reason we can't get above Poland and/or Ireland to be in with a good shout of qualifying.

Strachan has us playing the right way and our upturn of results since he took over has been great. We beat Croatia ffs! We're currently 27th in the World, that's a MASSIVE improvement. Levein had us at about 50th when he left.

Scotland have a very good chance of making the next Euros, since it's such a big competition now, the group isn't too hard and we're doing well at the moment, we'll need to be very fortunate with a group draw to make the next WC though. Maybe a good performance in Euro qualifying will boost our seeding or something.

Strachan is doing a really excellent job with us.

As for England, the annoying thing is I really like quite a few of the England players, which has never happened before. Sterling in particular, I'm a fan.

The whole concept of Wales having a national football team is laughable tbh.

They have the same population as Uruguay and can piggy back off our football clubs to improve their players, they should not be as bad as they are. Even with like, the 10th best player in the world currently, they can't get close. They should definitely have their own team though.

As for England, the annoying thing is I really like quite a few of the England players, which has never happened before. Sterling in particular, I'm a fan.

probably because there isn't Terry and Cole, even English fans don't like them :cool:

players like Sturridge, Sterling are flair players which is what I like to see

They have the same population as Uruguay, they should not be as bad as they are. Even with like, the 10th best player in the world currently, they can't get close. They should definitely have their own team though.

Yeah but they would be much better off just merging into the England team (like with cricket), because Bale would be a great impact player off the bench and Ramsey would be a good squad player too.

A good example, was yesterday, when Lineker gave the score of a World Cup qualifying game for the English ladies team. That same day, the other home nations were playing & Wales ladies had also already had their result & had also won.

No mention was made of it. It's little things like that which irritate. They lose all sense of perspective when it comes to their coverage & it's all England, England, England.

The state of this :D. This was in the build up to the England game after they posted a picture of the womens side that had been tweeted in, why on earth would Lineker then randomly say 'oh and Wales Ladies won as well' :D. No one even cares about womens football anyway, it was only mentioned in passing to go along with the picture.

Yeah but they would be much better off just merging into the England team (like with cricket), because Bale would be a great impact player off the bench and Ramsey would be a good squad player too.

Come on mate, you can do better than this.

Dust yourself down and have another go

We're all rooting for you.

Come on mate, you can do better than this.

Dust yourself down and have another go

We're all rooting for you.

The irony of this coming from someone who described last nights England performance as boring.

The state of this :D. This was in the build up to the England game after they posted a picture of the womens side that had been tweeted in, why on earth would Lineker then randomly say 'oh and Wales Ladies won as well' :D. No one even cares about womens football anyway, it was only mentioned in passing to go along with the picture.

"state of this". You really do use that regularly & in the most inappropriate of uses with equal regularity.

They drew reference to the Women's World Cup qualifying results. It'd have been good form, to have shown the results for all the Home Nations sides, win lose or draw if they're going to do it, because, they're the British Broadcasting Company.

I really don't see what is wrong with saying they should have done it? Even if Wales had lost, I'd have thought it'd have been the right thing to do to show the results. If you're going to show one, you show the others too.

"state of this". You really do use that regularly & in the most inappropriate of uses with equal regularity.

They drew reference to the Women's World Cup qualifying results. It'd have been good form, to have shown the results for all the Home Nations sides, win lose or draw if they're going to do it, because, they're the British Broadcasting Company.

I really don't see what is wrong with saying they should have done it? Even if Wales had lost, I'd have thought it'd have been the right thing to do to show the results. If you're going to show one, you show the others too.

I have only used it when referencing one of your posts, and it makes perfect sense to me :confused:

They weren't 'doing it' though were they? As I stated, it was a passing reference following a ****ing picture on twitter ffs, because guess what? In the build up to an England world cup match no one is going to give a flying **** about some womens world cup qualifying games, even England ones, because Women's football is awful and shouldn't exist beyond recreational purposes.

England's biggest mistake was letting Wales have Ryan Giggs. A midfield of Giggs - Scholes - Hargreaves/Batty/Ince - Beckham from 98-2008 would have been insane.

But I've literally just shown you that the media don't think we are as good as them this World Cup? :D In the past you'd have a point, but I don't think we've been like that since maybe 2004?

Since 2004? That's not true. Also, at no point did i ever mention that the media coverage related to Englands chances of winning the WC or how far they will progress. You keep patting yourself on the back thinking you've disproved my points, when those weren't the points I was even attempting to make. I was talking about on a game to game basis rather than the tournament as a whole or any tournament for that matter.

Take the build up to last night's game for example, it was more or less focusing on how the Italians are now a spent force and how England have changed for the better. This was going to be an easy 3 points if you were to take these people at face value. They've already started on how your quick front line are going to tear Uruguay apart ffs. Same happened in S Africa with Germany. England were gonna tear the young German team apart. They keep failing against all those teams they somehow think they're on par with.

to go against the grain, I feel the English media have been getting more and more realistic as tournaments have gone on :D

2002/2006 was one of those when they expected a lot, then they didn't get so in 2010 it was hoping to get to the knockouts. You can't exactly say "we are going to get hammered by Germany" when you are on television with reference to the 2010 game. That's like Fabio Cannavaro on ITV saying "England have no chance" when Chiles and co are staring at him looking for his opinion :lol:

2010 they were full of it on the media front, even when England limped out of the group, they really thought they were going to win it.

I got a bit sick of hearing Shearer say that it didn't matter now what happened in the group stage and how England were going to get so much better and he still believed England would win the entire thing.

This year has been much better, although watching the show on the BBC this afternoon was bordering on something the same, some of them making it sound like they only had to show up to win both the remaining games.

I agree, TM. Anyway, people should be allowed to support their country and the media have a responsibility to instil a sense of optimism; what annoys me is when they're dismissive, or, worse, ignorant of others exams in the competition.

I agree, TM. Anyway, people should be allowed to support their country and the media have a responsibility to instil a sense of optimism; what annoys me is when they're dismissive, or, worse, ignorant of others exams in the competition.

I completely agree and I wasn't knocking jmr or anyone else for getting all giddy. However, people have got to appreciate that we're not a single nation country and because of this not everyone is going to react positively when the BBC and ITV (kind of expect it more from ITV) bang on about England umpteen dozen times during every f'n game when that game has absolutely nothing to do with the English national team.

I completely agree and I wasn't knocking jmr or anyone else for getting all giddy. However, people have got to appreciate that we're not a single nation country and because of this not everyone is going to react positively when the BBC and ITV (kind of expect it more from ITV) bang on about England umpteen dozen times during every f'n game when that game has absolutely nothing to do with the English national team.

The thing is, unfortunately that is what the average viewer wants to see. They are just giving what the majority of the audience want. I'm an England fan and don't care for half the stuff they bring up during other matches but it's business.

Yeah, separate issues for me, Eleanor, and I agree with you on both. Yes, talk up England's chances, but I'd say the 15 minutes before a match kicks off and after it ends should be about the match in question, not England.

do you really want STV/BBC Scotland doing their own single commentary thing though? :lol:

Liam McLeod sounds like he hasn't hit puberty and it would be Jock Brown/Archie McPherson for STV probably. Jim Delahunt and Rob McLean as the presenters, no thanks, I'll listen to Gary and the buffoon on ITV

The huge difference being, almost every other nation doesn't get another nation's hopes and aspirations shoved down their throats. It's almost as bad as the Portuguese having to listen to the Spanish bleating on about the Spanish national team on Portuguese TV. Doesn't happen.

Boo freaking hoo

Scotland, Wales or Ireland(s) qualify and they'll also get plenty of coverage too

Unfortunately with the unique nature of the UK we're all sharing TV channels. Amazing, isn't it. Who knew!

Boo freaking hooScotland, Wales or Ireland(s) qualify and they'll also get plenty of coverage tooUnfortunately with the unique nature of the UK we're all sharing TV channels. Amazing, isn't it. Who knew!
I remember 1990 and 1998 really well, and the coverage we got was really minimal. But given the percentage of Scots watching to the percentage of English , and the relative chances of each, it was very understandable why the coverage was split the way it was.

As I say, the duration of the match, plus 15 minutes either side, should be about the match and that's it, in my book.

Yeah, separate issues for me, Eleanor, and I agree with you on both. Yes, talk up England's chances, but I'd say the 15 minutes before a match kicks off and after it ends should be about the match in question, not England.

I am not sure what you think it happening in other countries but this kind of thing is quite common. Focusing on their own country

I honestly do not watch much of the 'build up' cause it's just not very good. I watched more of the England build up cause there may be a bit more info about line ups, etc but some of the other games I do not care what they will say about Mexico. It's not gonna be enlightening. I know this cause I know what football coverage is like in the UK

At half time I sometimes do something else cause I cannot stand watching the same clips over and over that I just saw and I don't need to know what the various pundits think about the incidents. the main reason seems to be to say "Townsend thinks it's not a pen :D" and the like

They get a little excited sometimes redirecting conversation back to England but it's prime time TV and a lot of people want to hear about England. If there's news I want to hear but other than that not bothered. That's why I don't watch though.

With additional you're not missing out on any in depth analysis. This is the thing I don't get. OMG talk about the game ... it's ****. They're not gonna say anything of much interest about Switzerland and Ecuador. You'll get no tactical analysis. Oh look they're reading the teams out 'this guy is dangerous' 'he's pacy' 'he's had a good season'

As I say, the duration of the match, plus 15 minutes either side, should be about the match and that's it, in my book.

I don't think they have enough material to fill 15 minutes before the game starts tbh

At least after and half time they can show me highlights and then tell me what they think *yawn* So sick of this to the point I can barely stand to watch any analysis whatsoever

If I knew it was going to be good I'd watch it but we all know it won't be

I am not sure what you think it happening in other countries but this kind of thing is quite common. Focusing on their own countryI honestly do not watch much of the 'build up' cause it's just not very good. I watched more of the England build up cause there may be a bit more info about line ups, etc but some of the other games I do not care what they will say about Mexico. It's not gonna be enlightening. I know this cause I know what football coverage is like in the UKAt half time I sometimes do something else cause I cannot stand watching the same clips over and over that I just saw and I don't need to know what the various pundits think about the incidents. the main reason seems to be to say "Townsend thinks it's not a pen :D" and the likeThey get a little excited sometimes redirecting conversation back to England but it's prime time TV and a lot of people want to hear about England. If there's news I want to hear but other than that not bothered. That's why I don't watch though.With additional you're not missing out on any in depth analysis. This is the thing I don't get. OMG talk about the game ... it's ****. They're not gonna say anything of much interest about Switzerland and Ecuador. You'll get no tactical analysis. Oh look they're reading the teams out 'this guy is dangerous' 'he's pacy' 'he's had a good season'
I wasn't moaning about England doing it, I was pointing out that I want the match to be about the match, so get that stick out of your arse.

today I put on ITV at 4pm - Chiles says "we will start the England post-mortem"

so I thought "they'll be talking about them for about 20 minutes". 4.20, put the TV back on and Wright has joined them as if he's in some sort of holiday camp or something, more English talking

4.35, back on ITV > talking about Holland by this time with the Spain game on Friday night

the adverts before the game, "we'll turn our attention to...." :D I know it's tradition and they don't have much to say about Switzerland and Ecuador but why have an hour build up to a game when you only talk about the teams involved for 10 minutes? why not start the show at 4.30?

Well welcome to world cup coverage around the world.

I've seen this argument repeated a couple of times now, by various people, and it's bollocks. Dutch tv does not spend the build up to Switzerland - Ecuador or France - Honduras talking about the Dutch team. German tv doesn't dedicate every build up to talking about the German team either.

They don't do it on every match for England either

There's a difference between mentioning something spending time and focus on it. We are obviously close to a before/after an England game right now

It doesn't bother me much compared to just outright rubbish build up (not sure what they're like in Holland in Germany) but people just love to get angry about it

It just will not change for several reasons mentioned. I get round my rubbish build up issue by not paying attention to it

They do it on every match for England and they make filler comments during every match about Premier League players all the time on ITV/BBC because they haven't got a clue about any other country. The focus of the players is always which English club they play for or which English club they played against while representing some team of milkmen on the Inter-Toto Cup a few years ago or whatever. It's really annoying to constantly be reminded of the number of Premier League players in every single game. Even during France and Honduras earlier we had to hear about Jonathan Pearce watching the England game in a restaurant while supporting them loud and proud, as if anybody on this planet actually cares.

Archived