The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aye seems to be a fair few missing the point on this. It annoyed England enough for then to actually post about it on the twitter feed.

Exactly, no issue with people slating him for his performances, but for requesting extra training? As you said, there was no need to spin it that way, sadly though that's just what our press do.

And yet he'll still come back to Man Utd after a month off an overweight mess.

Well yeah, because he'll have had a month off from training.

He's blatantly going to be playing in the hole on Thursday. If he is still poor then the excuses of fitness, position etc are wearing very thin.

He was always likely to be playing in the hole on Thursday, Roy himself has said that the Sterling played there vs Italy for a reason. Uruguay don't really have anyone playing the DM role so Rooney should have space to play in.

Would people be against Rooney going up front and pulling Sturridge out to the left, leaving Sterling in the hole? Mate at work mentioned it on Monday morning and I dismissed it immediately but the more I think about it, the more I realise that even in the number 9 role you see Sturridge dropping deep and pulling out into the channels which at times leaves the box empty. If you stick Rooney up top (who is lazy defensively) then we're likely to always have an option up there and you bring a player who works harder out onto the left where there is more defensive responsibility. Think he's played that role a bit for Liverpool quite well so it's an option. It won't happen, mind, but still worth considering for debate purposes.

I heard that on the Times podcast and thought it a bad idea. The implication that you need a strong no. 9 to hold the line is correct, but this is not the solution.

Rooney wanders about even more than Sturridge, and with less incisiveness.

Rooney is not a no. 9 and never has been.

If I was managing him in FM I wouldn't want him playing no10 either as said he does not like tracking back,just like in the Euro's

I'd still have Stirling no10 if theres going to be even more space in this game!

If Roy picks Wayne to play in the middle he's under even more pressure to perform,if he does I hope he scores but just cant see it at the mo,i'll feel sorry for him if he does not,i think he should be dropped at this point and come on later as a sub,theres 2/3 yougsters waiting to come in!

Will Chamberlain be fit?

If I was managing him in FM I wouldn't want him playing no10 either as said he does not like tracking back,just like in the Euro's

I'd still have Stirling no10 if theres going to be even more space in this game!

If Roy picks Wayne to play in the middle he's under even more pressure to perform,if he does I hope he scores but just cant see it at the mo,i'll feel sorry for him if he does not,i think he should be dropped at this point and come on later as a sub,theres 2/3 yougsters waiting to come in!

Will Chamberlain be fit?

Chamberlain isn't fit. Rooney is under pressure regardless of where he plays. In fact Rooney will be under pressure until he delivers. dropping him wouldn't change that.

In theory everything about Rooney says he'd be a great number 10 but he just seems to get involved all over the place, he drifts wide, comes back sooooo deep and knowing how much Roy loves shape it doesn't help

This is something that needs to be drummed into his skull though. It's ok to flit about there but you never know where he'll be one moment to the next and we end up with no support up top and things like that

In theory everything about Rooney says he'd be a great number 10 but he just seems to get involved all over the place, he drifts wide, comes back sooooo deep and knowing how much Roy loves shape it doesn't help

This is something that needs to be drummed into his skull though. It's ok to flit about there but you never know where he'll be one moment to the next and we end up with no support up top and things like that

It's the coming deep that annoys me most. drifting laterally is ok, providing someone attacks the space he creates (Henderson?) but he really doesn't need to drop as deep, unless again someone attacks that space. But that shouldn't happen that often

uh what? His best seasons have been as a 9

Well it depends what you mean by no. 9 I suppose, but he isn't an England no. 9, because he wanders about too much. If you have other players willing to make runs into striker positions, then fine, he could do it. But our movement and fluidity is probably the worst part of our attacking game so it won't work. When we need a no. 9 we need one in the Shearer/Drogba mould: available, strong, good technically, able to command the space.

With regards to Rooney, i've always said his position should always be as a striker, a number 9 up front. That's where he's most effective and that's where he can use his godgiven talents the best. I don't understand the need for him to play deeper. He's not quick enough, decisive enough or clinical enough to play a deeper role. His natural movement, positioning and general feel of the game is brilliant, but technically he's more suited to be a striker.

But then again Sturridge is awesome, and I wouldn't drop him so it's back to shoe-horning Rooney in. He can be effective as a no.10, we've seen that over the years but it's far from being his best position.

but a succession of club managers also don't play him as a number 9 and I can't see van Gaal deciding to do that either with his love of RvP

His versatility has hurt him more than helped because he's good enough to play in so many positions you get managers moving him about, doesn't help that Utd have had Tevez and RvP as well. He's definitely best as an out and out striker.

It's the way that other players, especially from abroad, think he's the danger man, that he's the star player. He's England's Messi to the rest of the world. It's not been helped that in the friendlies leading up to the World Cup we've looked to have better team balance after he's been subbed.

No it's not, they're right. We do have an obsession with Rooney, we have since 2003. If they're constantly being asked about Rooney in press conferences they're obviously going to mention him which brings up new reports and the circle continues.

I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of criticism/focus being directed at Gerrard. Thought he was positionally poor against Italy, didn't make enough tackles and seemed to be off the pace. Of course he's captain so not droppable, but Henderson's energy is a complete contrast to his lethargy.

Exactly, the pressure our fans/press put on at times is pathetic, it's a hinderance.

Exactly, the pressure our fans/press put on at times is pathetic, it's a hinderance.
I'd play Rooney as one final chance, doesn't deliver then he should not even future for one minute vs Costa Rica. Really would be his last chance for me.

:lol: talk about timing.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Rooney tbh. I think he sometimes struggles with the mental side of the game and obviously this spotlight and pressure on him isn't going to help. Having said that if he's not performing, Roy has to take him off or drop him, but he won't.

So do I, and it's not like he was the only player to not perform is it?

I also remember Euro 2012, and after missing the first two games because of his stupidity, he was shockingly bad after that.

Still can't understand how Roy could leave him on for the full 120 against Italy when he was so bad.

I also remember Euro 2012, and after missing the first two games because of his stupidity, he was shockingly bad after that.

Still can't understand how Roy could leave him on for the full 120 against Italy when he was so bad.

No he wasn't but he's doing the same again this WC whilst a majority of others that flopped there have since been bombed off/not a starter.

I'd argue his performance the other day was better then the one in 2012 and I'd also say he's already done more this world cup then he did the last.

I remember Alan Shearer going 2 years without any sort of goal for England , thank god some of you weren't around then as you'd have wanted him out the squad :D

There's nothing wrong with dropping Rooney if he doesn't perform vs Uruguay. We have some really good players capable of playing in whatever position he ends up in.

If he has a stinker then sure drop him, but people are too eager to put all the faults on to a single person, it's getting boring tbh.

The worst thing that can happen (From Rooney's perspective) is if he does nothing, gets replaced by someone like Barkley who then does something. Media will go nuts.

If that happens it'll be a good thing for everyone else. It'll clear up the 'should he, shouldn't he start' drama and we can move forward into the Costa Rica game focused on the game alone.

Or Rooney can have a blinder. Either way, same result

I don't think the Rooney stuff is scapegoating, Gerrard, Lampard, Johnson have all had similar levels of criticism, Lampard has rightly been dropped to squad member, and Gerrard and Johnson just don't have any adequate replacements. The reason there's more focus on Rooney is because we do have other options.

I'd play Rooney 10/Sturridge 9, I wouldn't be against Rooney upfront and Sturridge on the wing. If Rooney isn't a 9 or 10, put him on the bench.

I just think Sturridge would be even more sulky and annoyed than Rooney to play out wide :D

We had one of the best full backs over the last 15 years and we just abused him constantly, great stuff!

Amazing player and tbh I'd say Gary Neville during that time we had a very good team was one of the most under-rated right backs in world football. Yes, world football, there, I said it

We had one of the best full backs over the last 15 years and we just abused him constantly, great stuff!

He was abused more for his off the field behaviour because he was/is a total dick off the field, but on the field the fans loved him as they knew they'd be getting at least a 8/10 minimum, whilst Rooney can vary from 1/10 to 10/10.

He was abused more for his off the field behaviour because he was/is a total dick off the field, but on the field the fans loved him as they knew they'd be getting at least a 8/10 minimum, whilst Rooney can vary from 1/10 to 10/10.

Loved him, yet abused him constantly at stadiums to help him. I was at Wembley a few times when England fans would boo only his name when they got read out for the starting line up, pathetic.

Archived