Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

1. SI make lots of claims about overhauling various parts of the game each time a new version comes out. It is called marketing, otherwise we would all still be playing CM. A lot of their "overhauls" are executed well, probably an equal number need a few versions to get polished and right. Pointing out that they mentioned the transfer system was overhauled means basically nothing. If everything in the initial announcement was correctly implemented we wouldn't need patches at all.

2. Who made you the fun police anyway? Back off and mind your own business.

1) You complained that SI didn't tell anyone they the transfer system more realistic. I merely pointed out they did. Not sure what the issue is.

2) It's never fun to act like a dbag

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one getting the Arsenal colours around the wrong way?

So I started a new save on 14.3 with the Sortitoutsi real name fix and thought it changed the Arsenal colours. So I just started up a new save to check and it's still broken.

Also the team name at the top is backwards also. However the 3D kits are fine. But as of right now Arsenal play in white with red. But they play in red with white.

Here's some screen shots: http://imgur.com/a/TZjTt

Is it like this for anyone else?

So I started a new save on 14.3 with the Sortitoutsi real name fix and thought it changed the Arsenal colours. So I just started up a new save to check and it's still broken.

Also the team name at the top is backwards also. However the 3D kits are fine. But as of right now Arsenal play in white with red. But they play in red with white.

See this thread Craig: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/386416-Reviewed-club-home-strip-colour-change

nnjsap.jpg

Never seen anything like that in any FM before. Well, I won in the end, so not a big deal but kinda odd still.

While unlikely, penalty shootouts can reach these levels (according to the ever reliable Wikipedia, the record is 20-19 in the 1988 Argentine Championship, when Argeninos Juniors beat Racing Club). However, we are aware of an issue with penalties where the accuracy is a little off real life levels.

Yeah, I think you'll find it is possibly (i.e.my guess, anecdotal evidence) because the yellow colour is made up with a large amount of "red" in the RGB colour system - it only seems to happen against yellow-kitted teams. It's not a major deal really, kit clashes and problems is something that is being looked into.

What if you use Stoppers, what if you use Hassle Opponents, what if you use an aggressive Attacking Mentality which renders Drop Deeper less relevant, what if your players have attributes which make them less likely to adhere to tactical instruction, what if your players have PPMs to influence their behaviour?

I think Mr RT, if of course myself and David are singing from the same hymn sheet, is that our central defenders seemed to be pushed on too much and as a consequence marking the wrong side by a good 5 yards leaving one ball over the top that just tears us a part far too easily. The 'influencing' as you put it is the dropping deeper, standing off opponents and sometimes setting one of our CBs to 'cover' so I'm not quite sure why you'd suggest a stopper who will play even further up the pitch - but hey ho.

When playing wing backs, if there's enough time for the opposition to pass the ball around before forming the attack, ALWAYS play the opposition strikers onside and are 5 yards behind the centre halves, and when they are in the correct position the opposition simply put one ball in behind him and he's apparently got concrete bricks moulded to his feet. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't approach, if you like. I'm being 'outplayed' by teams I really shouldn't be being outplayed against...with very little tactical deviation I play a straight forward 4-2-3-1 and only work ball into box (as long shots doesn't work) and a Control and Fluid philosophy with Arsenal...I should not be being cut up so easily as I am... I'm trying to be as basic as possible with my tactics to prevent confusion so there's not really much to saying 'it's my tactics'!

EDIT: in fact Mr RT...both Gibbs and Sagna have the PPM 'gets forward whenever possible' would you say that both could just be set on 'support' duty and that having even one of them as an 'attack' duty would be far too aggressive?

I think Mr RT, if of course myself and David are singing from the same hymn sheet, is that our central defenders seemed to be pushed on too much and as a consequence marking the wrong side by a good 5 yards leaving one ball over the top that just tears us a part far too easily. The 'influencing' as you put it is the dropping deeper, standing off opponents and sometimes setting one of our CBs to 'cover' so I'm not quite sure why you'd suggest a stopper who will play even further up the pitch - but hey ho.

When playing wing backs, if there's enough time for the opposition to pass the ball around before forming the attack, ALWAYS play the opposition strikers onside and are 5 yards behind the centre halves, and when they are in the correct position the opposition simply put one ball in behind him and he's apparently got concrete bricks moulded to his feet. I'm being 'outplayed' by teams I really shouldn't be being outplayed against...with very little tactical deviation I play a straight forward 4-2-3-1 and only work ball into box (as long shots doesn't work) and a Control and Fluid philosophy with Arsenal...I should not be being cut up so easily as I am...But yep, it probably is my tactics lol.

He didn't suggest a stopper at all, he was showing an example. You've misread his post.

When playing wing backs, if there's enough time for the opposition to pass the ball around before forming the attack, ALWAYS play the opposition strikers onside and are 5 yards behind the centre halves, and when they are in the correct position the opposition simply put one ball in behind him and he's apparently got concrete bricks moulded to his feet. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't approach, if you like. I'm being 'outplayed' by teams I really shouldn't be being outplayed against...with very little tactical deviation I play a straight forward 4-2-3-1 and only work ball into box (as long shots doesn't work) and a Control and Fluid philosophy with Arsenal...I should not be being cut up so easily as I am... I'm trying to be as basic as possible with my tactics to prevent confusion so there's not really much to saying 'it's my tactics'!

If you have no fears of the issue being tactical, then presumably you would have no aversion to posting your tactics in the tactics forum, just so people can go through the motions of appraising your flawless set up?

4-2-3-1 is one of the hardest tactics to "get right", and if your central midfielders aren't providing enough defensive cover, then your defenders will be obliged to step up.

By playing Counter (low defensive line) and Drop Deeper (pushing defensive line even lower) you are creating a massive gap in the middle of the pitch.

But, you probably knew all that.

If you have no fears of the issue being tactical, then presumably you would have no aversion to posting your tactics in the tactics forum, just so people can go through the motions of appraising your flawless set up?

4-2-3-1 is one of the hardest tactics to "get right", and if your central midfielders aren't providing enough defensive cover, then your defenders will be obliged to step up.

By playing Counter (low defensive line) and Drop Deeper (pushing defensive line even lower) you are creating a massive gap in the middle of the pitch.

But, you probably knew all that.

Ouch, I feel the sarcasm. I wasn't coming on here to criticize or begin a war of words I was merely asking your opinion (in my opinion in a lot politer way than David) on why my formation seems to have flaws in it, far from admitting I'm perfect. Never mind, I guess you misunderstood my question I'll pop over to the tactics forum when I get a chance and ask one of the boffins over there... :brock:

Ouch, I feel the sarcasm. I wasn't coming on here to criticize or begin a war of words I was merely asking your opinion (in my opinion in a lot politer way than David) on why my formation seems to have flaws in it, far from admitting I'm perfect. Never mind, I guess you misunderstood my question I'll pop over to the tactics forum when I get a chance and ask one of the boffins over there... :brock:

I'd just use "less frustrated" :D

:saywhatnow:

Really? I've scored some cracking goals from long range on 14.3!

TBF to you I haven't really given it a chance, long shots have been poor for so long across numerous FM games that it's become a natural thing and something I set first, I will give that a try next :applause:

RT is 1 of the boffins over there - but seriously, any issues, or anything notably good is always welcome in the tactics forum. Always happy to help or provide opinions whatever the problem.

TBF to you I haven't really given it a chance, long shots have been poor for so long across numerous FM games that it's become a natural thing and something I set first, I will give that a try next :applause:

I did struggle a bit on the previous build. Not this one though!

I play 4231 deep, with 2 DM-s, so, no, there is no massive gap.

OK, so would you consider there could be an issue elsewhere tactically, or is your set up completely infallible?

Is your in game management equally spot on? What do you do to try to stop the behaviour you see? How do you set up defensively against this type of attacking player?

What team are you? PPMs are still a consideration. How long is a piece of string?

It's always easy to bash an element of the game, but perhaps harder to consider that maybe there could be a touch of user involvement contributing to the issue.

If you think everything you do is perfect and you want to keep just popping these statements out, then fill your boots.

If you want to examine all the possibilities before continuing to do so, then please consider looking for advice in the tactics forum.

Like llama3 said, please feel free to pop over to the tactics bit to see if there is any advice that can be given to help you out.

Those PPMs for Gibbs and Sagna are tendencies rather than hard and fast behaviours, but it could mean that you are getting quickly countered in the space they leave behind. when those PPMs do kick in.

That space can be managed a bit better in a number of ways, such as using your wide midfielders at ML/R rather than up at AML/R where they contribute pretty much zero defensive cover, unless you instruct them to do specific man marking tasks.

OK, so would you consider there could be an issue elsewhere tactically, or is your set up completely infallible?

Is your in game management equally spot on? What do you do to try to stop the behaviour you see? How do you set up defensively against this type of attacking player?

What team are you? PPMs are still a consideration. How long is a piece of string?

It's always easy to bash an element of the game, but perhaps harder to consider that maybe there could be a touch of user involvement contributing to the issue.

If you think everything you do is perfect and you want to keep just popping these statements out, then fill your boots.

If you want to examine all the possibilities before continuing to do so, then please consider looking for advice in the tactics forum.

If the opposing team had Xavi or Iniesta, through balls could be acceptable. Quality gap or something. But I experience those situations against average Ukrainian 2nd division teams in the cup. They couln't possibly have that intelligent playmakers. They play flat 442, they are poor, and they do not score goals from CCCs that they create in that way. Playing as Shakhtar, those things shouldn't happen, even if I let the players go without any instruction. It is just not natural.

So, instead of just fixing the amount of goals in the game, perhaps the game developers could just try to fix the real problem - not just the effect on the scoreline.

I understand that you have to defend the game, but what I am seeing during matches (and I have seen some AI vs. AI matches) is not football. It's a waste of money and nerves.

If the opposing team had Xavi or Iniesta, through balls could be acceptable. Quality gap or something. But I experience those situations against average Ukrainian 2nd division teams in the cup. They couln't possibly have that intelligent playmakers. They play flat 442, they are poor, and they do not score goals from CCCs that they create in that way. Playing as Shakhtar, those things shouldn't happen, even if I let the players go without any instruction. It is just not natural.

So, instead of just fixing the amount of goals in the game, perhaps the game developers could just try to fix the real problem - not just the effect on the scoreline.

I understand that you have to defend the game, but what I am seeing during matches (and I have seen some AI vs. AI matches) is not football. It's a waste of money and nerves.

Ukrainian 2nd division sides are capable of having intelligent players - i play for an amateur side in Abu Dhabi, we have a midfielder who runs games with his intelligence and vision - are you saying that this is in fact not possible because he isn't playing for Shakhtar/Man City? Rubbish, intelligence is possible at any level. The idea you send any team out to face a side a division below them with no instructions or structure of how to play and they should walk it is frankly ludicrous.

Player ending contract in AI reserve team, 23 years old, current wages are 7.75k, tried to sign him and he's asking 160k and demanding 1st team football LOL. that's more then a 2000% increase for someone who is rotting in reserves and is lacking game time... and this happens to a lot of players in the game. they refuse to sign for the club because they're always demanding huge wages, then they leave the club, stay without contract for a couple of months and sign for a low wage contract that is almost the same they had before leaving the club...

Ukrainian 2nd division sides are capable of having intelligent players - i play for an amateur side in Abu Dhabi, we have a midfielder who runs games with his intelligence and vision - are you saying that this is in fact not possible because he isn't playing for Shakhtar/Man City? Rubbish, intelligence is possible at any level. The idea you send any team out to face a side a division below them with no instructions or structure of how to play and they should walk it is frankly ludicrous.

Passing, creativity and flair <10 is not an intelligent player. Not in any parallel universe. But, ok. I'm done with this, I Just hope some real competition appears, because FM is worse every year.

• SI Staff
Player ending contract in AI reserve team, 23 years old, current wages are 7.75k, tried to sign him and he's asking 160k and demanding 1st team football LOL. that's a 2000% increase for someone who is rotting in reserves and is lacking game time... and this happens to a lot of players in the game. they refuse to sign for the club because they're always demanding huge wages, then they leave the club, stay without contract for a couple of months and sign for a low wage contract that is almost the same they had before leaving the club...

Would be very interested in looking at this example.

Would you be able to upload your save game to the FTP - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

Could also let us know the name of the player.

Cheers,

Ben

I have reacted on the recommended subscriptions for a while. Even before the latest update.

In the beginning of a new season i always get recommended what to subscribe to, twice.

Both times i get recommended stuff that i have absolutely nothing to do with.

Being in the Irish league i get recommended the likes of the French league, Israeli league etc.

The first recommendation is always the most sensible one even though it includes the stuff i really don't have anything to do with.

The second recommendation always recommends absolutely everything bar one thing; the Champions League.

I'm qualified for the Champions League so i don't know why they want me to unsubscribe from that, as that would be a point of interest, i would imagine.

It feels like the recommendations are off compared to what my team's involved with.

Why would they recommend me to unsubscribe from the most prestigious competition i'm part of?

And why would they recommend twice so early? Wouldn't it make more sense if the recommendations came approximately 6 months apart?

Would be very interested in looking at this example.

Would you be able to upload your save game to the FTP - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

Could also let us know the name of the player.

Cheers,

Ben

Player info: Thomas carroll, currently in Tottenham Sub-21 team.

Save game name: thomas carroll huge demands.fm

The save game is currently in 14.3 but was started with the game release version.

i'd like to point out 2 big issues for me, with this latest patch

1 - getting alot of injuries, a torn harmstring/calf muscule every 2 weeks...

2 - every player negotiating contract with me wants to be a key player, no1 will sign as a backup or rotation player

ps : im enjoying this ME alot more tho

Any thoughts on the below from anyone?

Is there any way to get rid of the little yellow marks that indicate your player has a note? I find these extremely ugly and hope there is an option to turn these off. I have notes on all my players, so it serves absolutely no purpose for me.

2 - every player negotiating contract with me wants to be a key player, no1 will sign as a backup or rotation player

ps : im enjoying this ME alot more tho

To be fair, this has happened in every Cm/Fm if the player's reputation has climbed enough relative to your team's reputation to where they feel that they should be a key player. This of course makes it harder to have a squad full of rotation players who are stars in their own right.

A lot better than 14.2.x versions, but still not playable.

AI converts a lot more shots than you do. It doesn't happen every game, but it's still too often for my taste (I'm managing PSV in year 2019, and yes, it's still a top club in eredivisie). But I guess the improvement from 14.2.x versions is that it doesn't happen when you lead 1-0, 2-0 and then get 2 or 3 goals in the last 10 minutes, or you lead 4:0, and then finish the game 4:4 from getting 4 goals in the last 15 minutes.

Hoping for a new patch, if SI wants to save this game.

I have found that playing three at the back and wing backs seems to enhance the issue with centre-halves pushing up under the ball. I switched to a back four and a DMC and while the problem still exists (I probably see it close to once per match) it's not nearly as bad. I get the feeling having a DMC means that the defenders behind him are less inclined to push up unnecessarily, although it doesn't stop the problem completely.

nnjsap.jpg

Never seen anything like that in any FM before. Well, I won in the end, so not a big deal but kinda odd still.

While unlikely, penalty shootouts can reach these levels (according to the ever reliable Wikipedia, the record is 20-19 in the 1988 Argentine Championship, when Argeninos Juniors beat Racing Club). However, we are aware of an issue with penalties where the accuracy is a little off real life levels.

bAWKIhV.png

55 Scored penalties in a row before one was finally missed.

Aside from that I\m enjoying the game :)

Has the ability to right click on a score (in the League results page or your club's results page) and select Player Stats been removed? Since the new patch right-click on a score does nothing. I have to left click, go to the Match Screen and then click on Stats.

Is this a deliberate change, a bug or does my skin need refreshing? (I'm only using the default skin.) Other right clicking works.

A lot better than 14.2.x versions, but still not playable.

AI converts a lot more shots than you do. It doesn't happen every game, but it's still too often for my taste (I'm managing PSV in year 2019, and yes, it's still a top club in eredivisie). But I guess the improvement from 14.2.x versions is that it doesn't happen when you lead 1-0, 2-0 and then get 2 or 3 goals in the last 10 minutes, or you lead 4:0, and then finish the game 4:4 from getting 4 goals in the last 15 minutes.

Hoping for a new patch, if SI wants to save this game.

If the AI regularly has a better conversion rate than you, it's a tactical problem.

If your conceding a lot of late goals, that's also a tactical problem. Especially if it's happening regularly.

It sounds like you'd benefit a lot from creating a thread in the Tactics forum! Include as much detail as you can. Screenshot of your tactics and exactly what you do late in games.

I have seen a lot of people complaint about poor conversion of CCCs and get replied with answers saying that it is our tactics. My question is if our tactic is problematic how do we then manage to create those CCCs? I am not talking about CCCs resulted from opponent mistakes but those that came from proper build up or team play..

I have seen a lot of people complaint about poor conversion of CCCs and get replied with answers saying that it is our tactics. My question is if our tactic is problematic how do we then manage to create those CCCs? I am not talking about CCCs resulted from opponent mistakes but those that came from proper build up or team play..

Well, to be more clear, it could be tactical or motivational. There could be any number of reasons for not converting as much as you should. Also keep in mind that not every CCC is equally as good as the other.

In every thread we've had over the years, it has been shown that it has been a tactical problem or the conversion rate is very close or equal to what the AI conversion rate is.

The CCCs that I meant is not the one on the stats as shown in every match, I do not really care about that either. What I meant is the true CCC as most people will understand it.

There could be a number of reasons for that too.

Start a thread if you feel strongly about it. A word of warning, you'll need to upload screenshots and the occasional PKM.

To be honest, if the attacker has a clear path to goal without the chance of a defender cutting it off, but still opts to shoot from 20+ yards, I have no issue with this being deemed a clear cut chance. Just because the attacker makes a poor decision on when to shoot, doesn't make the chance any less. It's the ones from angles, when there are opponents in the middle, which get me.

There could be a number of reasons for that too.

Start a thread if you feel strongly about it. A word of warning, you'll need to upload screenshots and the occasional PKM.

Well I was not complaining about the match engine, none at all, I was just questioning your logic about the CCCs and tactic and you have stated it quite clearly. In fact I am now quite happy with the current ME although it is still a small sample.

Guest El Payaso

The game does seem to often class difficult chances as CCCs if they meet certain criteria.

I'm quite sure that this works both ways; difficult chances counted as CCCs and on the other hand very easy chances sometimes not counted even as HCs. Especially free headers from set plays are often not counted to either of those categories and free shots from middle of the penalty area often counted only as HCs... How are these chances counted in real life? And isn't something like 5 CCCs and 10 HCs way too high amounts for one game and for one team in top division football? Most of the games I watch are kinda 'boring' in terms of amount of chances even though there might be 2-3 goals scored. Like the game against Fulham and Chelsea, maybe 4-5 proper chances for Chelsea and 2-3 for Fulham and still 1-3.

I wish wide players actually do what they're told to do.

I've gone to extra lengths to try & stop it but it still doesn't work. I tell them to "dribble less", "pass it shorter", "fewer risky passes", "cross less often"; essentially any instruction which tells them to play it as simple as possible & tap the ball back into midfield; so why do they continue to play like Aaron Lennon? It's impossible to probe in the opponents half when every time the ball goes out wide, they feel the need to "try" something when I just want them to simply keep the ball moving.

Playing a high pressing game was something I'd hope would be improved in the patch as well, but it hasn't really. Achieving anything near to this still seems impossible -

[video=youtube;AVC7Tfzo6r8]

I wish wide players actually do what they're told to do.

I've gone to extra lengths to try & stop it but it still doesn't work. I tell them to "dribble less", "pass it shorter", "fewer risky passes", "cross less often"; essentially any instruction which tells them to play it as simple as possible & tap the ball back into midfield; so why do they continue to play like Aaron Lennon? It's impossible to probe in the opponents half when every time the ball goes out wide, they feel the need to "try" something when I just want them to simply keep the ball moving.

What positions do you have issues with? ML/R or AML/R?

What Role / Duty combinations have you used?

An Advanced Playmaker at AML/R can do exactly what it sounds like you're after.

EDIT: What Mentality are you using? Any tempo changes?

Well I was not complaining about the match engine, none at all, I was just questioning your logic about the CCCs and tactic and you have stated it quite clearly. In fact I am now quite happy with the current ME although it is still a small sample.

No problem. There was a thread 2 years ago, I think, that implied the AI is cheating when it comes to converting chances. After 4-5 pages he found out that his chance conversion was actually marginally better than the AI.

It does pop up every year, so we're used to it :)

I like the new update so far. My only complaint is that a lot of corners and crosses still look like shots in terms of them hitting the post or looking like a shot. I haven't played a lot of matches enough to judge it properly but I can definitely notice the improvements. My team usually defend well and I'm getting more goals from open play rather than set-pieces.

Hats off to SI for making the game playable and I'm actually looking forward to playing the game compared to a month ago, when I swore I would never touch it again.

I haven't read all the posts but I see some people are complaining about CCC's. If you have played previous FM games you should know that this one considers a lot more chances as CCC's when they're clearly not always as clear as they say.

Full backs are absolutely awful for me. I mean my fullbacks. If they aren't put on anything but a defensive mindset they will always be caught out of position and the same thing happens in that the wingers always find space behind and score very quickly and it is the same kind of goal. I try to play with attacking fullbacks and it doesn't work very well and I have two very good ones in Kyle Walker and Fabio Coentrao. Really hope SI come out with a minor fix in the near future before the release of FM15 because if not I can't justify paying 50 bucks for a big patch that may or may not address all the things that are wrong. A bit disappointed with what I'm playing at the minute, but I keep coming back because this is the only proper sim game on the market. I think SI need some competition again so the quality of work is always getting better and there is a bar that is constantly pushing them to do better. It's only healthy for future improvement of this kind of game.

My AMR (role is winger, attack) has just scored his 27th goal of the season. Four penalties and the rest are pretty much exactly the same goal; lone striker (F9) gets the ball with back to goal, turns and plays an angled through ball, winger bursts into the box while AI left back is still stationary with his back to goal.

My AMR (role is winger, attack) has just scored his 27th goal of the season. Four penalties and the rest are pretty much exactly the same goal; lone striker (F9) gets the ball with back to goal, turns and plays an angled through ball, winger bursts into the box while AI left back is still stationary with his back to goal.

How many do you concede in the same manner?

The same issue has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and I agree that several of my goals come from similar passages of play, but I seem to concede relatively few of this type.

Archived