Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

My feedback : Its like you made the ME that way that punish the human player. You made difficult to defend but not though logical circumstances but random. You have to be punished no matter what you do.

My DC hits the post when he has an opportunity in a corner, AIs DC scores easily.

My ST with 14+ Technique,Finishing,Composure looses goals, AIs ST with 12 Finishing and 10 technique scores in his only opportunity.

AIs team has 4 shots and 2 CCCs and 1 goal i have 25 shots, 2 or CCCs and 1 goal too (this happens a lot).

No matter what you do you cant defend. You will conceed through corner or free kick or stupid penalty from defenders with great Concentration and Decisions. The only way to beat this is by putting two players to each post, So there isnt any good to think logical but it is good to think how to "break" the ME. Not because you want to cheat but you cant accept the ME cheating YOU.

And so many other examples like those.

Your game fully deserves the money it costs. It deserves even more. The hole concept of your game is the dream of every football fan. I cant understand why you cant stick to a CORE ME, and only make slight changes. I know you know better, i know you try the best it for your customers/fans i also know that every year frustration is a fact after every patch release.

I can post tones of ss like this, but i dont have the time i already spend it in my save.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/23t2owg.jpg

One goal from corner (they had ONE F CORNER) and one goal from a penalty after a long freek kick from middle of the pitch.

OK. One more funny thing. If i tell my players they were unlucky they will react bad. I tell them aggresive not happy and they are fired up. In a game they dominate as hell. Again, you have to "fool" the ME.

Its happening in 70% of the games.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For throw ins I have my striker set to Go Forward and the winger on the side of the throw in to come short. So why does my striker come short and the winger go in the box? An issue with short corners too. My striker is a False Nine yet he never dribbles when passed to on a short corner. He always instantly crosses. He usually has a lot of space to move into or can quite easily pass back to the corner taker.

Dribbling seems off too. Why do players seem to think the best way to get past a player is to run straight into them?

Edit: Sorry, my False Nine is automatically set to Dribble More. My team instructions does include Run at Defence though.

yknow what annoys me about football manager, and its not just this one I feel like its happened in alot of them, when you need 1 goal to win or equalise, you go to more attacking tactics in the last 10 or 15 minutes, and then apparantly there isn't a single highlight until the last 15 seconds. Happens so frequently, and is so unrealistic, especially when it happens in the premier league. Especially when some of the things it decides are highlights are completely none events, so in the last 10 minutes that must mean both teams just passed it around in the centre of the pitch, like the simpsons episodes with a football riot.

Sorry I think football manager is an amazing simulation, but if theres ever a time where I think, this game has DECIDED that im going to lose this match, its when that situation occurs, I change to tactics that should guarantee interesting football, and then the time goes 80,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 90, 92:44 take a throwing, ref blows his whistle MATCH OVER

Does the ME try a bit too hard when it comes to "big upsets" games? Both for loses and draws.

Every time you lose to a minor team, it seems to be after 2-3 woodsworkds, 1-2 injuries, sometimes a red card and oftenly on 1-2 stupid mistakes made either very early or very late in the game. (or a penalty very late)

It's not about whether it is possible or not, because it certainly is, but how often this scenario happens seems to be a bit on the too much side. I understand that it tries to simulate the predicted outcome, but sometimes there a limit to how much misfortune and how oftenly it can come up. If the ME needs to try SO hard in order to give the draw so oftenly, then it's obvious that playing against smaller teams is currently overtuned in their favor.

its when that situation occurs, I change to tactics that should guarantee interesting football

Lol, wut? :lol:

The facility is there to go back and watch that 10-15 minute spell and actually see why there wasn't any goalmouth action worthy of a highlight.

tbh, the comparison is not really fitting.

The Sims 3 (the core game) was released almost 5 years ago. In the meantime, they released no less than 15 expansions/stuff packs.

Football Manager is a new game every year, or at least is advertised and sold as such.

I'm not saying that EA/Maxis/Sims Studio guys are right and Sega/SI guys are wrong, I'm just saying that they have two completely different ways to develop, release and advertise their games.

and as far as I know, an expansion is a little bit different than patch fixing bugs

yknow what annoys me about football manager, and its not just this one I feel like its happened in alot of them, when you need 1 goal to win or equalise, you go to more attacking tactics in the last 10 or 15 minutes, and then apparantly there isn't a single highlight until the last 15 seconds. Happens so frequently, and is so unrealistic, especially when it happens in the premier league. Especially when some of the things it decides are highlights are completely none events, so in the last 10 minutes that must mean both teams just passed it around in the centre of the pitch, like the simpsons episodes with a football riot.

Sorry I think football manager is an amazing simulation, but if theres ever a time where I think, this game has DECIDED that im going to lose this match, its when that situation occurs, I change to tactics that should guarantee interesting football, and then the time goes 80,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 90, 92:44 take a throwing, ref blows his whistle MATCH OVER

So you make bad tactical decisions and its FM's fault?

What you consider to be "More Attacking" is basically playing into the opposition hands if they are sitting back giving them an easy time, its no wonder you don't get any highlights.

If anything it is the human player who can use that to his advantage. The AI wouldn't recognize set pieces being there "for the taking". I've already seen a shot in which a human player turned both his CBs into bonafide top scorers, with the two starting CBs collecting 20 goals between the two of them over the course of a season.

Obviously something like that is giving you a massive advantage over the AI, as every goal has the tendency to alter what follows thereafter greatly. You can play it more safe, the AI is likely going to open up. Your players will often get a small boost in confidence, and vice versa for the AI (depending on player personality). Not sure this is the same as the "corner exploit" of old, but that sure looked just as such from the statistics.

Speaking as someone who doesn't really go for exploits and doesn't like to micromanage set piece instructions, it's generally not in the superior team's interest to have more sloppy, "randomish" goals going in.

and as far as I know, an expansion is a little bit different than patch fixing bugs

Well I'm convinced. I guess there are no bugs in any other pieces of software. Your terrible attempts at deflection, which ended up disproving your point entirely, have made me see the light.

Well just a few friendlies played and I must say FM14 confuses the hell out of me!!! A real learning curve as I always designed classic tactics so after looking at what you have to do now tactic design wise I have just downloaded a couple from elsewhere!!

ME wise it certainly looks far better than the one dimensional FM13 and nice to see through balls effective again. Wing play looks ok and crosses are at least coming in on this version. Like the goalmouth scrambles as well.

The not so good : Far too many flicky back heels although that could be the tactic. Goalkeepers look a bit dodgy, mine kicked two goal kicks in a row straight to opposition strikers and also the keeper dived for a cross totally on the other side of the goal so that looked bizarre.

In a 4231 with attacking wingers the wingers still don't track back very well but that seems to have been an issue forever!!!

However it certainly looks better than 13 on the ME so no major issues at the moment but as always I suspect I'll win all my friendlies then not be able to score once the League starts!

However I think I'll just stick to downloading other's tactics this time around as the micromanagement in the game IMO has gone far to far for a "game"....

Well I'm convinced. I guess there are no bugs in any other pieces of software. Your terrible attempts at deflection, which ended up disproving your point entirely, have made me see the light.

well, it's about time, maybe now there will be more like you and we can start playing any other league with any logic and idea of football rather than a brit one.

...the micromanagement in the game IMO has gone far to far for a "game"....

That's the whole point for me as well, but a lot of people seem to like the direction FM is taking so we have to find new ways to enjoy the franchise, even if it means playing older titles.

Gone are the days when someone could sit down and PLAY the game. If I wanted to get into the finer details of tactical nuances I'd go do a FA Coaching course and manage a local Sunday League team, but I don't, I want to sit down, PLAY, and ENJOY a Football Manager game.

This made my day!:applause:

Isn't his point the reason FM Classic was introduced?

I'm quite sure many would be happy to switch, but there's a very basic difference when it comes to database and playable nations. And that's even with FM14 allowing for more.

Additionally, other database changes can't be activated, so adding other nations/leagues as manageable is not possible either. In fact, it's not even possible to have a custom database with players from innactive countries.

Allow total freedom there and I'm sure everyone would be happy to make the switch.

Not really sure what I'm looking at...

What did you do to boost the amounts? Looks like it happened during the same day.

Yes, it happens in a second. We can get any money that we want with this bug. Unfortunately...

If you wanna try, send me PM. I'll not tell here, 'cause will ruin the game.

That's the whole point for me as well, but a lot of people seem to like the direction FM is taking so we have to find new ways to enjoy the franchise, even if it means playing older titles.

Do we know this is true though? In 2004 Championship manager was easily the most popular game of the Genre, when SI split from Eidos, I think the majority of users followed them on the basis that they were the guys who made Champ Man. FM's popularity stems from that and there is no real alternative and hasn't been for nearly a decade.

Basically, if you want to play this kind of game, you have to play FM.

Do we know this is true though? In 2004 Championship manager was easily the most popular game of the Genre, when SI split from Eidos, I think the majority of users followed them on the basis that they were the guys who made Champ Man. FM's popularity stems from that and there is no real alternative and hasn't been for nearly a decade.

Basically, if you want to play this kind of game, you have to play FM.

I'd argue there hasn't been an alternative because no other platform is prepared to invest the sheer time and focus it takes to make a game of this magnitude and detail, as FIFA found out the hard way.

I am not really sure how much is listened to with regards to feedback on here, I would like to think that ALL posts are being read by the powers that be but you never know. It seems to me, but maybe I am being paranoid, that if anyone starts up a post that a moderator disagrees with when saying they feel something is wrong with the game, it is quite quickly closed and people are told its nonsense.

Point is, I am not sure what the point is in saying something.

So this is for the most recent update patch, despite saying what I have done above I will give my brief "feedback" I think I should say firstly that I never bought fm13 nor have I bought fm14. Personal choice with regards to fm14 plus finances. I didnt enjoy the first demo, nor the updated one, nor the current one. My experience of the game is based purely on the DEMO, which I believe is the same version as the full game.

Anyway, having stopped playing demo and re booting it, after being disappointed with the last update, I am finding this one just as frustrated. I have played 4 league matches since returning to the game and when I left the game before I was 5th in the league, way over performing due to some excelent signings and getting the team to click right away. Coming back to it, in those 6 games I have conceded 8 goals, where before I had conceded only 6 goals in 8 games. I am also scoring at about the same rate.

Now, the reason I mention the goals conceded are the manner of the goals, which, I can only put as, hilarious! Last game, opponent put nothing ball forward to left of my area, keeper went for it, collected (at his feet) and passed to centre back. he turned and played a terrible ball to centre midfielder that was at least 50% of another power, fell to opponents striker, who ran past my defender and shot at the almost empty goal. Empty you may ask, but what happened to the keeper, well he was still making way back after retrieving poor ball forward. I ended up drawing the game v bottom team that I battered.

Next funny goal, opponents put through ball through, keeper turns his back on ball and dives, ball hits him in the back and the ball stops. My keeper stands up and stands still while opponents striker runs onto the ball. keeper then reacts and tries to get back but fails to do so and striker has keeper all over the place

Another one, opponents have a corner, goes to back post, headed pretty much to the goalkeepers left, who decides to jump to his right! GOAL! I drew the game 1-1.

Now, I am not here to have a go at the game, I really want to love this game and my missus hates me playing it. One quick game of football has been known to last hours, into the early hours several times! I think the menu and home screen are very easy to use and much clearer than fm12 too, and the speed in which it saves and loads now is excellent! The camera angles are much better too and love the fact it zooms in so well. But even with those things, I still find the silly goals, that I think are too regular for an english premier league side are too many. Its also not just the keepers fault.

This was also not meant as a provocative or aggressive post in anyway, just someone who wants to buy the game, but just cant justify it in its current state

I am not really sure how much is listened to with regards to feedback on here, I would like to think that ALL posts are being read by the powers that be but you never know. It seems to me, but maybe I am being paranoid, that if anyone starts up a post that a moderator disagrees with when saying they feel something is wrong with the game, it is quite quickly closed and people are told its nonsense

You're being paranoid :thup: There's a lot of of scope but it needs to be constructive and we shut down misinformation, because its actually one of the worse thing, far worse than any ranty posts

You're being paranoid :thup: There's a lot of of scope but it needs to be constructive and we shut down misinformation, because its actually one of the worse thing, far worse than any ranty posts

I have tried to be as constructive as possible with my feedback, I am sure it is being worked on by SI as we speak, there seems to be an acknowledgement in regards to the goalkeeping situation.

I have tried to be as constructive as possible with my feedback, I am sure it is being worked on by SI as we speak, there seems to be an acknowledgement in regards to the goalkeeping situation.

There was nothing wrong with what ( or should I say how) you posted at all. I was merely addressing the first bit :)

Even though you got your points, that "misinformation" part is kinda his point as well.

Woodworks have been a problem ever since FM11 (or 12...can't recall for sure), initially you guys discarded it as misinformation. It hasn't been until FM13 that some moderators actually agreed about the woodworks.

In FM13, defense and goalies were terribad, it was also initially discarded as "misinformation". Later proven correct with the fixes.

And now, it seems that keepers and defense are back, once again, when someone insists on it, it is generally discarded.

Of course, it also differs for each moderator, I'm not grouping you guys in a nameless group, but sometimes you guys seem to be kinda fast on pulling the "misinformation" tag. I'm not in your shoes, so I can't know the exact quantity of the posts, just speaking from the prespective of some someone who checks what is going every few hours, not someone who is tasked to oversee.

Even though you got your points, that "misinformation" part is kinda his point as well.

Woodworks have been a problem ever since FM11 (or 12...can't recall for sure), initially you guys discarded it as misinformation. It hasn't been until FM13 that some moderators actually agreed about the woodworks.

In FM13, defense and goalies were terribad, it was also initially discarded as "misinformation". Later proven correct with the fixes.

Of course, it also differs for each moderator, I'm not grouping you guys in a nameless group, but sometimes you guys seem to be kinda fast on pulling the "misinformation" tag. I'm not in your shoes, so I can't know the exact quantity of the posts, just speaking from the prespective of some someone who checks what is going every few hours, not someone who is tasked to oversee.

Woah, first thing, who is you guys? See this is exactly what I mean.

Who is you guys? Are we some homogenous group? See, that's misinformation.

Again, not true.

Again sorry this is rubbish.

You have just stuck us in nameless group... despite the fact everyone has their own personal view.

Misinformation, such as AI scripted, is shut down because its fact that it doesn't exist.

In making your point about misinformation, you have actually done exactly that.

I wasnt even a moderator in 2011 for one thing :D

From a personal point of view, I never thought the defences or goalkeepers were bad in fm13 but...............I stopped bothering with the demo, and therefore the game, once I found out that the demo was just a BETA version of the game therefore I could not gauge if the game was worth my while forking out for.

After being very lucky and finding a way to update fm12, I was also in the position where needing to buy fm13/fm14 was not as much of an issue, but the opinions I gave were almost of an outsider that isn't playing the full game, isn't worried that its costs me so much (like some people complain that they have bought a game that doesn't work or is broken blah blah blah) There are lots of positives in fm14 that are so superior than in fm12, but from a personal point of view, the little niggles of fm14 out weight all the great things done with it.

Its just an opinion and feedback

ezmuqAI.png

Just a shame, really. Match after match. I'd really like an explanation from someone with SI as to why I should continue to play this game and trust that they're going to do the right thing on the next fix, since the previous fix caused this problem.

I think you failed to see why I used "you guys" in order to not target you personally.

And yes,I know, it's always rubbish and misinformation. It always is. But it's really not of this thread's focus to expand on that now, neither do I want to expand on it. Different people, different standards,I'll settle with that. There are things that have improved for me and things that seem to be taking steps back.I don't expect anyone to have the same point of view.

What I would appreciate is SI staff members pouring cold water in these forums because most of us are mad after buying the game on October and have been grinding on these forums for the promised day, I don't know if that day is even worth the wait.,

I think you failed to see why I used "you guys" in order to not target you personally.

And yes,I know, it's always rubbish and misinformation. It always is. But it's really not of this thread's focus to expand on that now, neither do I want to expand on it. Different people, different standards,I'll settle with that. There are things that have improved for me and things that seem to be taking steps back.I don't expect anyone to have the same point of view.

Completly agreed. Its easy to recognize great improvements regarding the ME ( :applause:), but a few things, as you said, are taking steps back (hitting posts continues to be an issue although it has improve a bit, personaly I don't like the tactic rigidness) and other things could already been introduced (ex: motivating shouts to players, instructions to defend throw-in's, etc, etc).

Just a shame, really. Match after match. I'd really like an explanation from someone with SI as to why I should continue to play this game and trust that they're going to do the right thing on the next fix, since the previous fix caused this problem.

I'm 12 weeks into season 2014-15 (120 matches), and there have been 332 goals scored so far. Of those 332 goals, 14 have been own goals (around 4.2% - is this high? low? just right?). All 12 rounds of matches have been played in the most recent update.

I see you are on the 27th Dec in the same season in your save, presumably around 20 games in (200 matches). I'd be interested to see what the league figure is in your save overall for own goals.

And yet again, people just need to realise that these things have always happened in FM/CM, and will always happen in FM. With the system the way it is, with all variables adding up to a result, when you fine tune some of these variables, to get the same results, you have to tweak it elsewhere. Things are bound to go wrong elsewhere. The hope is that they can balance it so much that these don't happen, and every piece works in harmony, but that is very unlikely. The more realistic hope is that these unbalanced pieces are somewhere unimportant.

I'm 12 weeks into season 2014-15 (120 matches), and there have been 332 goals scored so far. Of those 332 goals, 14 have been own goals (around 4.2% - is this high? low? just right?). All 12 rounds of matches have been played in the most recent update.

I see you are on the 27th Dec in the same season in your save, presumably around 20 games in (200 matches). I'd be interested to see what the league figure is in your save overall for own goals.

Aye, but they don't count unless they happen in your own match, Dave. 'sakes.

And yet again, people just need to realise that these things have always happened in FM/CM, and will always happen in FM. With the system the way it is, with all variables adding up to a result, when you fine tune some of these variables, to get the same results, you have to tweak it elsewhere. Things are bound to go wrong elsewhere. The hope is that they can balance it so much that these don't happen, and every piece works in harmony, but that is very unlikely. The more realistic hope is that these unbalanced pieces are somewhere unimportant.

I dont agree to be honest, the ME engine on fm12 was pretty good, but fm14 was released in 30th October which is about 10 weeks ago now, would it not of made sense to release the game with the option of going back to an old version of the match engine? It seems that people only had an issue since it was last updated.

I am not sure what you mean exactly by "these things have always happened in FM/CM" what things? My suggestion of being able to go back to an older version of the ME would solve this problem I think.

It's a match engine problem with own goals, not a simulation problem. The lengths you go to defend the game Dave make it seem like you're begging to be a mod or something

But the simulated games in your own league use the same match engine as the games you play, hence my request for your own season stats. I'm not defending anything, I'm genuinely curious, and given you've took the time to complain about this issue, I'm guessing you are too.

And I think I'm the last person the bods here would ask to be a mod, trust me.

I don't even think it's the amount of own goals, it's the way they are scored which make them seem unrealistic.

My favourite own goal so far has been a defender stood on the penalty spot blasting a header straight past his own keeper on to the bar, which bounced back on to the keeper and rolled in. I really should have uploaded it to youtube, it was genius.

I feel sad that I haven't seen any of these OGs yet. See plenty of other rubbish from the ME though. Gets rather annoying setting up a passing tactic and seeing your defenders and keeper trying to hoof up to your False 9 (who thankfully is decent as a Target Man, though he still never wins the header) rather than make a simple pass to the unmarked midfielders 10 yards in front of them. The joys of trying to play Tiki Taka at a League 1 side.

The only own goal I've conceded this season was this pearler, goalkeeper in full gymnastics mode, comedy central...

[video=youtube;6O8GQU5hjZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O8GQU5hjZY

Out of interest was that counted as an OG? seemed to be getting stick off his team mates, but I havent had an OG that good before, should keep playing it till i get one!

Archived