Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

I feel cheap. I'm back. I couldn't stay away... Just.One.More.

I do have a question. Is it possible that the referee would ignore an offside call? Douglas Costa was offside when the ball was played to him, the lino flagged but the ref ignored it and allowed play to continue. Is this a bug or is it possible in-game for the ref to ignore the linesman when a player is offside? I've never seen this in a real game of football so assumed it was a bug. Thoughts?

As you can see, Costa is offside. It was hard to freeze it at the point the header on to him was made.

l7E1J.jpg

The linesman has seen this and flagged but play was allowed to continue.

KxnCT.jpg

Should this happen. I know they can ignore free-kicks and the like, but rare to ignore an offside?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like defenders' ratings are not affected by their mistakes? It would explain their extremely high ratings all the time. My defender just gave away the ball twice which led to one on ones and his was 6.9. I'd expect no more than 5.

I watch full games and that way i see the mistakes they are doing too. I have this midfielder that keeps losing the ball and causing counters that lead to goal, has an average of 7.5 :)

I've send him to the reserves. :p

Any formation in the game will work fine if a) you have the players which suit the formation, and b ) you make sure the player roles within said formation are logically thought out.

Of course, there's still no guarantee you'll win every week, but that's football.

Try it. Then come back and say that "any formation in the game will work fine if; *blah blah*.

Try it. Then come back and say that "any formation in the game will work fine if; *blah blah*.

I played 41212 fine and took a very poor Paysandu side from Brazilian Div 3 all the way to Division 1 champions and then Copa Lib winners the following season.

The fact is any formation can work if you understand it.

Just because you might not be able to get something to work doesn't mean it doesn't work, the 2 are different things.

Wez's post in the tactics forum should be the one post on this entire website to silence all the naysayers.

There's another chap on that thread who posted one of the best goals I've ever seen in an FM game, and one that would barely have been possible to view in that way on previous ME's.

Further proof, if it was ever needed, that this game is by some margin, the best in the series to date. :D

So the ridiculous amount of tackles and tackles completed is ok then? It's like playing rugby or the old Amiga game Speedball 2. So the broken team talks are ok? So the moral system is ok? So the lack of offers for your players is ok? So you never getting offered jobs is ok? So statuesque defending is ok? So ridiculously slow processing is ok? Backwards goalkeepers are ok? Not scoring from long range or free kicks is ok? Director of football being a hinderance rather than a help is ok? Your keeper aimlessly hoofing the ball to your 5ft 3 CF is ok?

These are literally just a few of the top of my head, but as long as you're having fun.....

Just a quick one. Throw ins. From in your own half going directly to an opposition player resulting in a goal. Infuriating. It's happening for me AND against me in roughly equal measures so I can live with it. It looks kind of stupid though especially when there are several safer throws for the thrower to take. "Nah.... I'll just launch it aimlessly to the one area of the pitch where there are no team mates, boss." Thanks for that.

Speaking for myself i have to say that i'm not impressed with the latest patch, especially the way it affected the wing play.

Took me 2 weeks to figure out the game and come up with a winning formula and another 2 weeks again after the patch.

The game is playable for me as long as i play how the game "likes"; if i try to apply real life logic to it may not work too well.

End of the day it's just a simulation game and i don't think there's another one that comes close to it's level.

:)

you should read this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332584-A-Twelve-Step-Guide-towards-Playing-FM13-amp-Understanding-the-ME

1 -So the ridiculous amount of tackles and tackles completed is ok then?

2 - So the broken team talks are ok?

3 - So the moral system is ok?

4 - So the lack of offers for your players is ok?

5 - So you never getting offered jobs is ok?

6 - So statuesque defending is ok?

7 - So ridiculously slow processing is ok?

8 -Backwards goalkeepers are ok?

9 - Not scoring from long range or free kicks is ok?

10 - Director of football being a hinderance rather than a help is ok?

11 - Your keeper aimlessly hoofing the ball to your 5ft 3 CF is ok?

These are literally just a few of the top of my head, but as long as you're having fun.....

1 - agreed, too many tackles, not a huge issue, but needs looked at

2 - not had a single problem with any team talk

3 - Explain what is wrong with it.

4 - Agreed, the AI needs to be more active in trying to sign your players, but as long as its balanced with players not wanting to leave everytime you reject a bid

5 - Been offered 2 jobs in 6 seasons

6 - Not really seeing this issue, my defenders move around quite a lot.

7 - Game processer quicker than FM12, except for the two transfer windows, might be a computer issue at your end.

8 - What does "backwards goalkeepers" mean?

9 - My team scores 3/4 every season, how many are scored in a normal season?

10 - Was always going to be the case as its AI run

11 - Buy a taller striker.

This update was released with the proviso of there being too many tackles in it. The first post in this thread says as much.

Why are the team talks broken? Why is the morale system broken? Have you mentioned them in the bugs forum?

The lack of offers issue is already under review.

I've been offered jobs, if you're experiencing an issue with it, bring it up in the bugs forum.

Slow processing is usually a problem with how the game works on your system. A post in the bugs forum will let SI know so they can try and see why.

Match engine issues are best raised with PKMs so they can actually be seen happening.

How is the DoF a hindrance?

So the ridiculous amount of tackles and tackles completed is ok then?

Tackles seem just fine in my game. I sometimes have my tactics set to hard tackling, depending on the oppositon, etc, but there's no more yellow/red cards or injuries than I'd expect in a game.

It's like playing rugby or the old Amiga game Speedball 2.

No it isn't. Not in the slightest. As analogies go, that's a feeble effort.

So the broken team talks are ok? So the moral system is ok?

What 'broken team talks'? My players mostly respond well to nearly all my team talks.

The moral (sic) system works fine for me too. As you'd expect it to, in fact. High morale when the team's doing well, reducing when they're not. Don't see an issue here either.

So the lack of offers for your players is ok?

I get plenty offers for my players.

So you never getting offered jobs is ok?

I've never been offered a job, true, but then I'm not that good at the game, so that's hardly surprising. Can't really pass any kind of honest comment on this, never affected me.

So statuesque defending is ok?

Some of the defending in the game is pretty dodgy, granted, but then it is in real life too. If you think of the FM12 engine, players were virtually unable to turn, and ran from side to side at times. The player movements have come on leaps and bounds in this edition. There are still a few animation glitches (defenders being one of them), but I expect this will be sorted out.

So ridiculously slow processing is ok?

Get a better machine then. Processing time's not an issue for me. Especially in Classic mode. In the main game, it is a wee bit slow, but that's only because I have a ridiculous amount of leagues and players loaded, considerably more than is recommended. I can live with it though, it's nowhere close to gamebreaking.

Backwards goalkeepers are ok?

No idea what this means, sorry.

Not scoring from long range or free kicks is ok? Director of football being a hinderance rather than a help is ok?

Those two I have a bit more sympathy with. I think more long shots should be going in, although the number of DFKs is almost right, if maybe a shade low. The DoF is a great idea, but it either hasn't been implented quite right, or no-one knows how to fully utilise it yet. This is a brand new feature of this year's game, so it's something that will improve over time. Harsh to have a go at that one.

Your keeper aimlessly hoofing the ball to your 5ft 3 CF is ok?

I tear my hair out in frustration when this happens.....on a Saturday afternoon watching my team. It's something that happens at every level of football. As an ex-keeper myself, it was always the simplest tactic - get it as far away from the goal as possible, and let the outfielders deal with it! In the game, my keepers do it as well, but they also pass out to the defence as well, so I don't think it's much of an issue.

I am thanks, and so are thousands of others, who play the game, learn how it works, and try not to get completely bogged down over-analysing every single little animation in the off chance that you've spotted another bug to run away and report.

Thanks for listening. *hugs*

1 - agreed, too many tackles, not a huge issue, but needs looked at

2 - not had a single problem with any team talk It is a problem if your players don't adore you

3 - Explain what is wrong with it. Many things are wrong with it when your players don't adore you

4 - Agreed, the AI needs to be more active in trying to sign your players, but as long as its balanced with players not wanting to leave everytime you reject a bid

5 - Been offered 2 jobs in 6 seasons

6 - Not really seeing this issue, my defenders move around quite a lot. Mine does too, but if you don't have the correct relationship between Defensive Line, Width and Closing Down you are going to be punished much more severly than in previous FM's. Too "sensitive" in my opinion.

7 - Game processer quicker than FM12, except for the two transfer windows, might be a computer issue at your end. Mine is slower with the same database size as FM12.

8 - What does "backwards goalkeepers" mean?

9 - My team scores 3/4 every season, how many are scored in a normal season?

10 - Was always going to be the case as its AI run

11 - Buy a taller striker. Doesn't change the fact that team positioning on goal kicks (and throw-ins) is unrealistic. In real life, when the keeper takes a goal-kick he aims for a pre-decided team-mate, and all the other players position themselves according to that. On throw-ins both teams come -much- closer than they do in FM.

Text in quote

2 and 3 are intentional in that case, unless there's something more to it than that?

It's based on their reputation in comparison to yours.

If you don't play on "Automatic" then you're effectively using a difficulty level to alter your gaming experience.

Haven't got time to reply in full until later, but Backwards goalkeepers basically mean they are poo, making basic errors and watching strikers run pass them with ease, their angles are all wrong, their distribution is shocking, their area awarness in non-existant, the don't come for crosses/free kicks, they are far too stationary.

As for the slowness issue, I can assure you it's not my PC and it's a known issue.

Yes i'll buy a bigger striker because my keeper can't follow instructions despite playing a quick passing game with a pacy forward...............................

Thanks, i have read it before and that is pretty much how i approach the game :) Trial and error and watching full matches.

Which brings me to the question: is there a comprehensive guide or will there be one in the future?

I have often searched for information regarding the practical meaning of instructions, styles, shouts and other but couldn't find it anywhere.

There is a lot of information in the forums but i still learn quicker by simply playing the game. :)

2 and 3 are intentional in that case, unless there's something more to it than that?

It's based on their reputation in comparison to yours.

If you don't play on "Automatic" then you're effectively using a difficulty level to alter your gaming experience.

Last time I checked "automatic" simply meant Regional, but I only tried it with Salisbury and Blackburn so it is hard for me to know. It was difficult to affect anything with team talks and player interaction until I won the league first season with Blackburn, while there were no such problems with Salisbury. After winning a title everything is just fine.

Haven't got time to reply in full until later, but Backwards goalkeepers basically mean they are poo, making basic errors and watching strikers run pass them with ease, their angles are all wrong, their distribution is shocking, their area awarness in non-existant, the don't come for crosses/free kicks, they are far too stationary.

As for the slowness issue, I can assure you it's not my PC and it's a known issue.

Yes i'll buy a bigger striker because my keeper can't follow instructions despite playing a quick passing game with a pacy forward...............................

The striker one was a joke, not serious, but thats part of football, i have watched Scotland play long high balls up to our small stiker who is crap in the air for close to 10 years, now im pretty sure none of the managers have asked their teams to hit balls to his head, but thats just what happens.

What's the usual distance covered by players IRL? Just found one of my screenshots from pre patch and both teams had covered 150 kilometeres each. After the patch I usually get 100-110 km.

About this, I find unrealistic my gk covers usually around 1,5 km in a match. I believe he can barely cover around 7-800 meters.

Automatic picks one that matches the club you start at. If it doesn't then it's broken.

Nope, it picks the rep judging by the lowest league you have selected.

So if I select automatic and manage Arsenal, my rep will be the lowest as I have the Blue Square leagues selected.

So if I select automatic and manage Arsenal, my rep will be the lowest as I have the Blue Square leagues selected.

Ah, yes. That is correct, it basically selects a rep that will ensure you are able to get a job, matching up with the lowest level selected.

Pretty sure that's not how it's meant to work.

Im not sure if ive misread this, but it may answer a lot... does what you pick here have any effect on the game at all??

Im not sure if ive misread this, but it may answer a lot... does what you pick here have any effect on the game at all??

Yes, it affects how much players and managers respect you at the start of your game (depending on their reputations compared to yours).

Haha you might as well tell them to ignore you. Personally, I choose rep according to the level I'm playing at.

Yeah but the problem with choosing International Footballer as a starting reputation is that in addition to enabling the Team Talk Module and Morale-higher-than-ok-over-time-Module (which are otherwise turned off the first season in top leagues), you are also wildly popular in the nation(s) you selected so you get to sign stars from there. You are also linked to huge clubs just by winning a few trophies.

This is why I suggested adding a sixth starting reputation: club legend. You're a managing n00b, but you already have a statue outside of the stadium. That way, you get to enable the team talks and morale works like it should, but outside the walls of the club you are still a n00b. Even to the rest of the nation.

I think that Club Reputation should be another layer in the reputation system in general, btw. In addition to the Nation and World reputations already there.

Sorry if this has already been answered but has there been any updates on the next patch?

I hope they fix the defending it shocking at times in my opinion defenders just watch as the ball rolls past them or dont go and get the ball if its 5 yds in front they just wait for the attacker to get it

Closing down is still a major issue, it shld be dinamic obv depending on thr players you have players only close once the ai has the ball but in real life players close down the space they intercept passes and cut out through balls, rarely happens in fm.

Gk are really poor they dont come out to collect, they just watch as players go round them. Ai gk has superhuman like reflexes ridiculous at times.

Why do wlngers dribble the ball all the way to the near post ? Dont see this happen at in football happens 9 times out ten in fm

Why do players hold onto the ball and wait for the ai to close them down doesnt make sense ?

So anyways i really hope the patch is out soon.

And i hope it save game compatible this time !

i have used 4-2-3-1 narrow because wingers fail to function... :p not like i have someone who is bad at crossing either.

about that linemsan thing, in one of my games i drew 2-2, had a goal dissalowed for offside, however the linesman DID NOT FLAG (and it wasn't offside).

mistakes are in the game, but it is very rare for refs to ignore the linemsan

I didn't want to end my disappointing season on a high and win my cup final anyway...

Two great assists by my defenders here. Paloschi scored a couple of goals, both assisted by my defenders. Fantastic stuff. I'm not sure what aspect of my tactics caused my players to pass to the Milan players for them to score, perhaps someone could shed some light? I'm not playing out of defence, I've told them to get the ball forward and clear to flanks, but both times it has gone embarrassingly wrong. My Left back tackles their player, runs into my own area to setup Paloschi, then rather than head backwards, my CD heads the ball to Paloschi for him to score his second and win the cup for Milan.

Perhaps they're playing for a transfer to Milan in the summer, who knows. At least we're having fun.

[video=youtube;ggWuoVfhSGk]

KUTGW.

Injuries are a huge problem after this patch, I've had 5 players with long term injuries in two matches now, one player just came back from a two week spell out and got injured that day in training for 7 months......but there's nothing wrong there :rolleyes:

Also whats with teams taking your players on loan, listing them as valuable first team players and then not playing them?

Injuries are a huge problem after this patch, I've had 5 players with long term injuries in two matches now, one player just came back from a two week spell out and got injured that day in training for 7 months......but there's nothing wrong there :rolleyes:

Also whats with teams taking your players on loan, listing them as valuable first team players and then not playing them?

I've not had a problem with injuries, but I have had a problem with teams telling me my players will be valuable and start and then rot away and not develop. Really annoying. I suggest always putting a recall clause in there.

I've not had a problem with injuries, but I have had a problem with teams telling me my players will be valuable and start and then rot away and not develop. Really annoying. I suggest always putting a recall clause in there.

I had a recall option in when I offered him out, but my DoF chose to send him to a club without it included...no idea why they put a DoF in when they hinder you more often than not.

And if you look through the team guide threads then you'll see a lot of people mentioning injuries all the time, especially since the patch

Archived