FMC (FM Classic) - Your thoughts after having played it

I was looking for some feedback and reviews from people who have played the FMC version of the game rather than those who havent. Is it fulfilling after playing the full version for the last few years? Can you live with what's missing? Other than saving time which for me is the biggest (possibly only) advantage and reason to take a stab at it, what are the other pros in your opinions? Will you stick it out on FMC or go back to the full version?

I havent finished more than 2-3 seasons max at most in the last few versions of the game cause of the time/dedication you need to give it, but I feel with FMC it will allow me to play the game "more" in a way.

It would have been good if you could custom-choose some of the options you wanted in the FMC. For instance, playing only 3 countries is one of the biggest disadvantages for me. Not being able to pick the size of database is another.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

played cm01/02 and loved the simplicity of it, this is what was missing for me in the following versions, and i play fm a couple of hours a day, it used to take me 2-3 days to manage a season on older fm's but this one is just so much better

the only thing i miss is the ability to talk to the press about a player, to unsettle him etc.

Like gahan170, I have found myself able to progress through seasons way faster than the full fat version. I have played the series since the very start, but as I got older, my spare time diminished and FMC was precisely what I need to be able to start long career saves.

The reduced elements do take a while to get your head round, but do become accepted once you know they are missing.

I may try the full simulation mode and delegate as much as possible to DoF and AssMan just to see how quickly I'm able to rattle through that mode in comparison to FMC.

At times I feel like a bit of a passenger, there's lots happening but I'm not actually doing anything.

It is REALLY fast. You can't imagine until you've played just how quickly you can get through a season.

The thing I miss most are team talks. If you're losing at half time there isn't any way to vent your anger or really do anything about it.

It's a nice idea but I would say that if you have time, go for FFFM.

I've played the series since the very beginning - so 20 years.

It's a lot faster.

In FM12 I was very annoyed by all the news pop ups about other managers comments about me and my ass man's pre/post match comments. It's a huge relief not getting spammed.

Full version is easier as you have much more control:

- You make the team talks -> overall better team performances

- Control over individual training and more importantly you have the tutoring option -> Much easier to make the squad you want with professional players having the right stats the right places

- Easier to unsettle transfer targets (not possible in FMC)

In the beginning I wasn't that happy these options were not there, but actually the game was just getting too easy as you could tailor-made your team within a few seasons and eventually become unbeatable. In FM12 I was in 5 champions League finals (winning 4) in a row with Brøndby IF from the Danish Superleague.

So missing these just makes the game more of a challenge.

The only thing that really, really annoys me is that it's not possible to choose more than 3 leagues. And if I want the EPL I'm also forced to have BSS/N. It makes absolutely no sense and nor does SI's answer to this. They say it's a speed issue, but then why force users to load leagues they don't want? Users should be able to load the leagues they want.

Been playing since 93 and FMC is a breath of fersh air to me!

When I disappear down the FM rabbithole it's usually for about 15 seasons or so over the course of a few months.

I'm on season 10 on the Beta already playing quite regularly since it was released.

Pros:

Instant result button (where have you been all my life?)

Far less clutter on your news screen (agents offers, player interactions, media etc)

No more press conferences!

Nice skin (mostly)

Fast!

cons:

Only 3 countries and each must have full playable leagues... why?

Have to renew staff contracts every season (except for my scout for some reason, not sure if this is a bug)

Very limited control over scouting (MAJOR ISSUE for me) or training

I don't like the idea of these unlockable "boosts"

No control over feeder clubs (I currently pay out about 1 million pounds ever year to useless feeder clubs)

Overall I think it's a good idea with potential but I would like to see it progress so that you can choose which features you want to have and which you don't.

It's cool but I wish there was like an option screen to choose exactly which things you wanted to use. Like ticking boxes that I want full scouting, contracts, etc. but I don't want (angrily) the tone system, media management, etc. That would be perfect for me at least.

It's cool but I wish there was like an option screen to choose exactly which things you wanted to use. Like ticking boxes that I want full scouting, contracts, etc. but I don't want (angrily) the tone system, media management, etc. That would be perfect for me at least.

Exactly what I said. It wouldve been good if you could actually choose what you wanted in and out of it..

Tried FMC when I first booted the game, but what broke the deal for me was ultimately not being able to control training, as I love developing youngsters in long saves.

What I don't get is that training has been simplified a great deal this version, so to me it seems perfectly fit FMC, especially since FMC encourages long term games!

Was missing a couple of other small tings (not being able to turn off lower divisions and team talks spring to mind), but ultimately it was training that pushed me towards 'full'FM.

That being said, 'full'FM is faster this year as well. You can turn a lot of things off, e.g. you aren't being told what your ass.man. answered in press conferences and you can have really slim subscriptions.

So you're saying that the full game is moving fast enough to make it easier to play the game when you dont have much time?

That's my experience... what was slowing me down a lot of the time in FM12 was news items, which are much fewer now. But I don't think I've tried FMC long enough to compare the speed of FMF to it, so take my words with a grain of salt. I also miss the instant result button :)

I have to say, for me, it just doesn't have enough 'fat' to sink my teeth into... I like having to do things like micro-manage training, making desicions about feeder clubs, team talks etc and FMC just doesn' have that. The fact I couldn't find a way to add editor files to the FMC database annoyed me also ( I have a big edit of proper league / award names ).

Personally I doubt FMC will fit into the way I play the game, speed is not a particularly big concern of mine as I tend to only have 2 or 3 serious saves over the course of a whole year.

I've not touched "full fat" FM once. FMC is exactly what I was hoping it would be; fast, minimalistic, simple, hassle-free, fun, no nonsense. It takes me back to the days of the old Champ manager where I just bought some players, picked a team, and played some matches.

On FM13. I remember playing FM12 and thinking how bloated it had become and I just couldn't be arsed with it. There was too much tedium, too many repetitive annoyances, too much faffing about. Like Karl Pilkington, I dislike faffin', so FMC is right up my street.

I'm currently leaning toward FMC, but this seems like the place to ask this question...

In terms of staff, what do you need to do? I liked training, but this wasn't enough to dampen my intense dislike of press conferences and constant responses required to allsorts.

Does FMC require you to still appoint staff and can you appoint a DOF and choose his responsibilities ?

Appreciate the help...

Its too slimmed down. Somewhere in between the two would be perfect. The main game really should have a "Instant Result" button. Infact, I dont think FMC really neded to be made what needed to be done was make FM Full fully customisable and allow for turning features on and off if the user so desired.

Instead of trying to make the best out of FM Full for every one, they have take the easy option out, it seems, and split the game into two different games.

I think FMC should have that custom button. The full simulation game should stay as it is for the next generation just like we were at a point.

Why? Why not keep the fans who got them to this position and also gain new fans at the same time.

IMO a fully customisable "full" game was needed, not a slimmed down 2nd one. Not allowing more than 3 leagues is a bad part of the feature, I like running around 6/7 and to do that I need to play the "full" game where things like media bore the tits off me.

It's a great idea that's a step too far imho. Whereas in the pukka game I spend so long answering inane questions that I play maybe 30 seasons each version, in this there is so little to do between transfer windows that it's press space, press space, press space, game, press space, press space, press space, press space, game.

It needs a halfway house, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. As is the DOF.

If we can get FMC and DOF to meet in the middle then we'll be really cooking.

Would have preferred SI to just had made everything customisable in all honesty. FMC is too much, it feels more FM handheld than CM 00/01.

I didn't feel like I had enough control , just click click click - play match.

If they had just made the game fully customisable then everyone would have been happy I think.

• Administrators
Does anyone have any idea how to retrain positions? Just playing them in the position you want to play them in, doesnt seem to do anything

It does, it takes time but it works. You need to consistently play them there for them to achieve it. I've seen it happen quite a few times in my saves :)

It does, it takes time but it works. You need to consistently play them there for them to achieve it. I've seen it happen quite a few times in my saves :)

Unfortunately I haven't.

I played M'Villa for two seasons as a MC and he is still only competent on MC and rated 2 stars in that position and 4 stars in his natural DM position.

Another DM of mine who is just 18 doesn't seem to make much progress either, it really seems to be very slow.

I still think the whole concept of these fixed position ratings is a bit outdated.

Why not let the liabilities of a player decide if he can play in that position and give him a fluidity level, like with the tactics on how comfortable he is in that position and it shouldn't take players much longer than learning a tactic to get used new position if he has the right attributes to play there.

Looks like you can't really get players to an accomplished or natural level anymore once the have hit their max CA.

Concerning my thoughts on FMC.

Well the main thing that bugged me about it is small database, the limited scouting, the missing individual training and a lot of things that are in the full version I just missed, so I guess come release day I won't be spending much time with FMC anymore it just doesn't offer enough to keep me interested for long and has just too many things missing that I consider essential.

The only thing I really liked about it was not having to talk to the press, oh and the skin is quite nice.

I've liked it, although not played full fat yet, I always wanted to strip back a bit to the old championship manager and this does seem quicker. I'm mostly only interested in playing online with my friends who have also played the game from the beginning, so we are pinning our hopes on this being the one we are waiting for. Does take a bit of getting used to not having half time team talks to try and turn around a poor performance, but overall I have preferred it so far. I hardly played FM12. My only bug bear is that there are certain tactics that can't be loaded in, which is a problem for me as I am hopeless at creating tactics have been since FM2006, and had to resort to downloading tactics from the forum to continue to actually play the game, and again in this one I seem to struggle with the tactics, have a tactic that starts ok but then gradually loses gets worse and worse, but that's just me and probably nothing to do with the actual game

I was one who said it wasnt something for me and i would prob never really look at it, but i gave one of the challenges a bash for a laugh and its brilliant! I got through a season in just over a day, in about 20 minutes from starting i was starting the season. Ill def be using it for multi player games and for the challenges for a little break from the main game. Things are just so quick, the processing is quick, very little to set up overall, no messing around with talks, PC's and all that, its just buying/selling and playing matches, a proper throw back to what the game used to be. My only gripe is i dont like the attributes screen for some reason, the blocky style almost makes it look cheap, but in terms of gaming id say it does exactly what it said it would do.

I think it's a great idea for those who don't have as much time available as they used to but still want their FM fix. I haven't used it much but the interface seems nice and I like the addition of the 'match plans'. It's good that SI recognise that FM is played by parents and people who work long hours, but grew up with the game in their youth, and are now catering for them. Personally I will continue to play the full version but, for the likes of my Dad who is in his 60's now, it's great for him as he was getting frustrated with the level of detail in the modern versions of the game.

I find the scouting options really bad in FMC.

From when the season started till winterbreak my scout found 2 players, huzzah, and I didn't need either of them.

I get more wage budget and transfer money in the winterbreak but my scout found jack sh.. Good stuff.

Why can't we choose where the scout goes?

Why can't we see increased attributes?

Why can't we choose more countries/leagues?

Sure I could do Search -> Players, but they're all bad players.

The skin is really good though.

It's great for me as I was an old CM addict in the 90's early 00's. with the FM series coupled with getting older & starting a family my free time has become very precious to me & I've found the time I spend with FM getting less every year. I still buy it year in year out as its almost like a tradition now.

I love SI have recognised that they can re engage with the older players by stripping back on the detail & I now can say I will be able to play some long term saves now.

Ill give the full fat game a go at some stage but I can't see me doing more than a season if I'm lucky.

I've one question though. Can you add a note to your players in FMC?

The only thing that looks 'weird' in FMC is that it's so fast you don't realize of how much time passed until it's too late. This, of course, is a consequence of the rather slow Standard FM mode. If you have a rather powerful PC, weeks pass in a matter of SECONDS, while they can take some minutes on the Standard FM mode

As I suspected before playing it, the speed and simplicity of FMC clearly remind me of good ol' PC Fútbol, but a PC Fútbol 'with more numbers' (Attributes)

Why can't we choose more countries/leagues?

Speed, which is what FMC was made for. A game with 3 nations loaded is fast for almost any computer that can run FM13

Speed, which is what FMC was made for. A game with 3 nations loaded is fast for almost any computer that can run FM13

They should make it a option.

I got a fast PC and I don't care much for a bit slower loading. I want 8 leagues in my game.

The fact I can only select 3 leagues instantly makes it redundant to me. I'm not that bothered though as things I don't like doing in the full game, like press conferences and match prep I can let the AM do. Also I don't enjoy setting up training that much so I tend to download schedules off this site. So I'll definitely be sticking with the full version.

The fact I can only select 3 leagues instantly makes it redundant to me. I'm not that bothered though as things I don't like doing in the full game, like press conferences and match prep I can let the AM do. Also I don't enjoy setting up training that much so I tend to download schedules off this site. So I'll definitely be sticking with the full version.

Letting the AM do things opens up the possibility for him to do them badly. Removing it entirely for all teams does not, IMO.

I really want to try FM Classic now. Maybe I'll give it a try now before the full game comes out, hopefully I can get FM running on my netbook (it's 1366x768 res and has 2Gb of ram, so it's not COMPLETE crap, runs ok actually with Win8 on it) in FMC mode if it's lighter (game is fast enough on my beastly desktop).

FMC might be a great way to test my tactics out without all the distractions of a full game. Then when the game comes out I can pick my favourite way to play.

Archived