Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly surprising to see this has happened, was always looking likely. I feel bad for RDM, he's been put in a position where his boss wanted rid of him from the moment he started. I think he's handled himself brilliantly, unlike the club, who have once again made us a laughing stock.

It used to annoy me when other fans would take the ****, but there's no way to defend our behaviour in the last few years. It's a shame, but the season is nowhere near over and I'm sure we'll embarrass ourselves again soon.

Chelsea under Roman = the Yankees under Steinbrenner in the late 1970's. It's a little eerie. The only good news is that eventually the franchise stabilized, but I don't know if Guardiola = Joe Torre, either.

All references may be a mystery if you are unfamiliar with that weird American bastardization of cricket, but there ya go ...

Here's a fun game. Let's rank our managers, in terms of how bad the decision to sack/let them leave the club was.

Worst - Jose. May have been somewhat mutual, but the best manager in the world, should have done everything to keep him.

RDM - He won us the ****ING BIG ONE, disgusting treatment. Still think if we'd bought a competent striker in January we'd have had a decent season.

Ancelotti - We were dreadful for a good 3 work spell, but should have had another season.

Distance

Grant - Did really well, but never long-term solution.

Ranieri - Harsh, but understandable given we could get Jose.

AVB - Didn't seem a good fit, treated senior players badly, it worked.

Scolari - this was fair I think, did pretty terribly given the great squad we had back then.

Hiddink - seems like there was nothing we could do to keep him, sadly.

AVB was out of his depth when it came to managing players, but he was and will still go on to be brilliant. Fact is, he gave RDM the platform to do well since all the players were eager to prove a point and were glad to be rid of AVB. Not saying RDM did not deserve credit, but he had fired up players and a huge slice of luck (Messi, Robben both missing penalties etc). He was never a fashionable choice for Roman, who wanted to wait for a big name like Pep. I saw this coming, but not so early Christ. We are a joke and fully deserve to be labelled as such.

And now we are going to appoint Rafa Benitez. I give him till end of the season before he gets sacked and Pep Guardiola (maybe?) finally coming in. I ****ing hate Benitez though.

Scolari - this was fair I think, did pretty terribly given the great squad we had back then.

Weren't Chelsea still fighting for both titles (UCL and EPL)?

I think the main issue is that his relationship with the players wasn't great, the squad was divided between those supporting him and those against him.

We just lost to Juve in the 1st leg when he was sacked I think, might have been before then but either way the Scolari sacking was a right one. We were awful and so was he. Don't think you can say just because RDM won the CL that he should get loads of time, I mean Avram Grant was one penalty kick away from winning it, would anyone have said the same? RDM should have got to the end of the season atleast, make it amicable.

RDM did win the big one (for that and his time as a player, he will always be a Chelsea legend), but he was never going to be a long term solution with the club looking to play forward thinking football. Quite happy with the decision to be honest. Really rate Benitez as a manager and believe he's been harshly treated over the years. As for Torres - I'm not convinced he's going to get back to his old self, but he has about 6 weeks to attempt to do so. Either way, we need another striker in January.

Well not who I was hoping would be in charge and while I am not a fan of his, I will just have to get on with it. Let's just hope he does well until the end of the season, get's us into the CL again and if we are lucky Shakhtar will beat Juve and we will beat Nords but that's highly unlikely. Then in the summer we really press on with someone who is going manage this club for a long time. God I hope that can happen.

the only reason we've appointed the fat c**t is because he's the only manager Torres has ever played well for, we aren't getting a new striker. and that's not to mention his teams are ****ing painful to watch, he is scarily bad at transfers (if he has a say in them) and has slagged Chelsea off to anyone who will listen too many times in the past for me and I assume many others to forgive him.

the only reason we've appointed the fat c**t is because he's the only manager Torres has ever played well for, we aren't getting a new striker. and that's not to mention his teams are ****ing painful to watch, he is scarily bad at transfers (if he has a say in them) and has slagged Chelsea off to anyone who will listen too many times in the past for me and I assume many others to forgive him.

Garcia, Alonso, Mascerano, Torres, Benayoun, Johnson, Kuyt, Reina, Agger, Aberloa, Skrtel. :p

The stuff Liverpool were playing between 07-09 (in paricular the 08/09 season) was quite good but granted our games with Liverpool in the Mourinho-Benitez 'era' weren't pleasant watching.

As for the transfers, there were more good than bad.

Archived