Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently we have had a £17million bid for Lewandowski turned down. It seems we do want a new striker then, if this is true. Same story says that some people don't know whether Cavani would fit our style and the formation that we play. I have to say while I haven't seen much of Lewandowski play in Germany he looked pretty good at the Euros and I am sure he will get better as he is still pretty young. I do think though that we could wait until January to see how Torres and Sturridge do (presuming Lukaku goes on loan) and then if they aren't doing near enough then we could think about a new striker to give us a lift then. Problem then is that the prices will be more inflated in the middle of the season.

I don't understand why we aren't making attempts to sign RVP tbh but I am guessing someone or a few people at Chelsea don't want him. Also Oscar says he has only had a medical but will decide his future after the Olympics. Really hope he comes.

Torres might be the only one not joined up yet.

And Mata's in Spain's Olympic squad, so won't be involved in any of the pre-season games.

Shame Saville's gone home, he gave a strong account of himself in the last game, I was hoping he'd get another chance even with the returning first teamers.

Would like to see how he does in the rest of the pre-season games before deciding whether or not to loan him out.

Think he needs to he loaned out regardless of his performance in preseason, to a team that considers him at least a rotation player. At Chelsea he'll be 3rd choice at best behind Torres and Sturridge. Although he's still young I don't think it is in his best interest having another year without regular first team football.

Might try and watch as much as this friendly as I can before I go to bed. Wish they weren't on so late as I want to watch them but it's a long time to wait up until for a non-competitive game.

Also Lavezzi with that attempted dive in a friendly :D If that isn't bad enough Paulo Ferreira just tried a trick pass.

Somewhat specious analysing pre-season games, but it's nice to see Chalobah maintaining his solidity and good decision making over the two matches. Hutchinson has looked a tad too keen to go forward, leaving gaps at the back, but has looked composed for the most part - at 23, he's surely either going to have to make a breakthrough this season or go elsewhere, so long as his injuries don't flare up again. Josh only had a 30-minute cameo and didn't do a lot, but passed intelligently and balanced his attacking and defensive duties well. Only Kakuta, again, looked off the boil, with barely a single run or pass not ending up with the opposition. Good work rate, but his decision making has been awful.

As for the newbies, Hazard was played deeper and while his impact on the game was more muted than against Seattle, he had some decent runs. Marin came on and was as energetic and dynamic as before, although could sometimes do with releasing the ball a little earlier. As in every case mentioned, these things are perfectly likely to be a case of pre-seasonitis and will be ironed out in time for our first competitive match.

• Administrators
Rolfe do you know why Chelsea haven't sent a team to the Milk Cup?

Last summer it was because they were in the Nike Cup Finals. This summer, they failed to qualify but would've wanted to do Nike above Milk, so it initially depends on when they had to officially enter by. If they were able to enter, then I guess they chose not to because of the EPPP-related changes affecting the U15 age-group; leaving school, educated on-site at Cobham now, mixed in with the U16s, many of whom are involved with the U18s in pre-season and are going to Thailand and Malaysia this week. All of that stretches the available academy staff a bit thin as well, so logisticaly I guess it would've been a struggle to commit to.

Plus, and bear in mind this is all speculation anyway :D, they may think that now they've won the Junior section and reached the final of the Premier a few years ago (they never entered another team at U19 level after that), they no longer have any reason for involvement.

Last summer it was because they were in the Nike Cup Finals. This summer, they failed to qualify but would've wanted to do Nike above Milk, so it initially depends on when they had to officially enter by. If they were able to enter, then I guess they chose not to because of the EPPP-related changes affecting the U15 age-group; leaving school, educated on-site at Cobham now, mixed in with the U16s, many of whom are involved with the U18s in pre-season and are going to Thailand and Malaysia this week. All of that stretches the available academy staff a bit thin as well, so logisticaly I guess it would've been a struggle to commit to.

Plus, and bear in mind this is all speculation anyway :D, they may think that now they've won the Junior section and reached the final of the Premier a few years ago (they never entered another team at U19 level after that), they no longer have any reason for involvement.

Thought they would've wanted to win back their Junior (U15's) cup after winning it in 2010. Was gutted they changed from Premier (U17's) to Junior (U15's) a couple years ago because in the next FM most if not all of them would be in the Chelsea U18 squad in it :D Really hope they come back next year. Man U are in the Premier section every single year, Everton are in the Junior section every year. Would love to see Barcelona come back, don't think they've been back since they beat Chelsea in the Premier final a couple of years ago, I'm guessing some of the players in the Barcelona team could be playing/ played for the Barcelona first team.

• Administrators

1. Imanol Castilla Rubio

2. Robert Franch Illa

3. Victor Reyes Cammany

4. Xavier Marques Gomez

5. Jaime Hernandez Lopez

6. Marc Crosas Luque

7. Carles Coto Pages

8. Jose Manuel Rueda Sanpedro

9. Diong Mendy

10. Daniel Toribio Gutierrez

11. Alvaro Lopez Garcia

12. Eric Llagostera Soler

13. Jeffren Isaac Suarez Bermuda

14. Jose David Casado Garcia

15. Abraham Rodriguez

16. Daniel De La Torre Suarez

17. Sergio Busquets Burgos

Dubious as to how accurate that is, it's missing Gio Dos Santos, who scored in the Final.

1. Imanol Castilla Rubio

2. Robert Franch Illa

3. Victor Reyes Cammany

4. Xavier Marques Gomez

5. Jaime Hernandez Lopez

6. Marc Crosas Luque

7. Carles Coto Pages

8. Jose Manuel Rueda Sanpedro

9. Diong Mendy

10. Daniel Toribio Gutierrez

11. Alvaro Lopez Garcia

12. Eric Llagostera Soler

13. Jeffren Isaac Suarez Bermuda

14. Jose David Casado Garcia

15. Abraham Rodriguez

16. Daniel De La Torre Suarez

17. Sergio Busquets Burgos

Dubious as to how accurate that is, it's missing Gio Dos Santos, who scored in the Final.

Where did you get that list? Do you have the programme for that year? I have it somewhere in the house. I remember Gio Dos Santos being there. But yeah him, Busquets and Jeffrén all played in it that year, think it was 2005.

I'm pretty damn sure he's going to be a starter for us next season. Otherwise we wouldn't have spent that much on him. I can see us lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Hazard operating in one of the 3 positions with Mata, Marin or whoever with him.

Archived