Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright lads. Hope you're well.

Obviously I've been away a while, so I'm not exactly up to date with any of the latest news. Anyone fancy briefly filling me in on what's happened? :)

Bayern Munich lost the CL final :*)

Maybe would've been funny if I'd been away since May, but seeing as I wasn't...

Besides, the way Chelsea played in that final is nothing to be proud about, mate. At least we came out and tried to play our game. Anyone can park the bus (see Rangers in the UEFA Cup a few years ago for a prime example). :thup:

Maybe would've been funny if I'd been away since May, but seeing as I wasn't...

Besides, the way Chelsea played in that final is nothing to be proud about, mate. At least we came out and tried to play our game. Anyone can park the bus (see Rangers in the UEFA Cup a few years ago for a prime example). :thup:

Forever the bridesmaid :*) ;)

Ah, but everyone can be proud of a win.

Even if it was achieved by going against everything the club stands for? I'm not sure. I'm sure if we'd won it by playing the way Chelsea did, I wouldn't be bragging about it. I'd probably be more ashamed than anything else, that's all. Oh well, it's in the past now. I'm sure we've got more finals to look forward to and I'm sure there's plenty of more silver medals to come our way, too. :D

Even if it was achieved by going against everything the club stands for? I'm not sure. I'm sure if we'd won it by playing the way Chelsea did, I wouldn't be bragging about it. I'd probably be more ashamed than anything else, that's all. Oh well, it's in the past now. I'm sure we've got more finals to look forward to and I'm sure there's plenty of more silver medals to come our way, too. :D

Are you a Bayern and Chelsea fan or predominantly Bayern but like Chelsea? It would of been good if we offered a more expansive game but how I see it is that at the end of the day our name is on the trophy. Football is about tactics and we got ours spot on and you were the home team when you think about it ;) What you have to remember is RDM played a lot of attacking football with us as well, wasnt predominantly defending

Are you a Bayern and Chelsea fan or predominantly Bayern but like Chelsea? It would of been good if we offered a more expansive game but how I see it is that at the end of the day our name is on the trophy. Football is about tactics and we got ours spot on and you were the home team when you think about it ;) What you have to remember is RDM played a lot of attacking football with us as well, wasnt predominantly defending

I am a Bayern fan 100%, but I like watching Chelsea. I'll always support Chelsea and wish them well; the only time I won't is when they come up against Bayern, but let's face it, that doesn't happen too often.

I agree with what you're saying about the name on the trophy though, yeah. I'm just saying, it was a bit of a disappointment to see Chelsea play that way as I've followed them for years and I've never seen them play football as negatively as that. I'm actually rather curious to see how RDM does with a full season under his belt though. They've got an even stronger team this season than they did last year, but there's a part of me that thinks he might struggle. I believe teams always benefit from a new manager that comes in half way through the season, so I'd like to see if that really was a factor in their success last season or if RDM is actually a good coach.

• Administrators

Let's get on with the football now that the primary school stuff has finished. Pre-season begins tomorrow, and the first team flies to the US. Piazon and Kane definitely travelling, Saville likely to as well.

I am a Bayern fan 100%, but I like watching Chelsea. I'll always support Chelsea and wish them well; the only time I won't is when they come up against Bayern, but let's face it, that doesn't happen too often.

I agree with what you're saying about the name on the trophy though, yeah. I'm just saying, it was a bit of a disappointment to see Chelsea play that way as I've followed them for years and I've never seen them play football as negatively as that. I'm actually rather curious to see how RDM does with a full season under his belt though. They've got an even stronger team this season than they did last year, but there's a part of me that thinks he might struggle. I believe teams always benefit from a new manager that comes in half way through the season, so I'd like to see if that really was a factor in their success last season or if RDM is actually a good coach.

That is like me, I have always supported Chelsea but had a soft spot for Bayern way back. I am definitely looking forward to this season more than I ever have, considering the signings and more expected additions. I was thinking the same thing about RDM. Respect the man a lot for what he has done at us in a short space of time but that is why while I am happy he is our new manager I wouldnt of mind to see him leave out on a bow last season rather than have a Dalglish situation who is a legend at Liverpool but overshadowed by his sacking. I am hopeful RDM will be a success though and hopefully we are much more expansive in the Champions League and be one of the most exciting teams to watch with the signings of Hazard, Marin and other youngsters and expected arrival of Oscar.

To be honest when Muller scored that goal I was just thinking Uefa cup and why has RDM not had a go at Bayern who also had injuries/suspension but football is a funny old game, I don't reckon we will be able to get lucky like that again if we play that kind of football, this was just destined for us 2012 :D

Btw a bit random but what do you make of Gomez? I a part of a Bayern forum and there seems to be a lot of hatred on him but I can't understand it for a player who got 40+ goals last season, i would love to have him at the Bridge

Mario Gomez is my favourite player, so I'm a little biased in my evaluations of him. I understand people's frustration with him because when you watch him play for a full 90 minutes, he does tend to bottle a lot of good chances, but at the end of the day, he does score lots of goals, so I don't really care if it takes him several chances to put one away. He was non-existant in the Champions League final and he should've done better with the chances he had, but he had a fantastic tournament for us in the Euros, so all is forgiven. Mario doesn't have to worry anyway because aslong as Robben is at the club, he will be the most hated player here. Bald ******.

Is there any latest on the Hulk deal, btw? Before I left, I'm pretty sure I'd read that it was a done deal, but I haven't heard anything since, so I don't know? I was hoping that maybe someone here would know more than I do? I'm mainly looking at you, Mr ROFL. You seem to have all the inside gossip. :D

• Administrators

Problem with the Hulk deal is that 10% of his rights are owned by some muppet who won't sell them back to Chelsea/Porto unless he gets well beyond their value, and Chelsea can't sign him unless all of his rights belong to one party (FA rules). Chelsea have run out of patience which is why you've seen interest in Schurrle, Jovetic and Oscar, and why De Bruyne is probably staying and not going out on loan (got the number 14 shirt and has had a lot of positive press).

Have not encountered a single person outside of the internet that gives a ****. ;)

Hulk is just a complicated matter as Phillip said. I reckon he would be a quality addition. We have quite a lot of players for that position eg Marin, Sturridge, Ramires puts in a shift but Hulk has that extra quality IMO. I doubt it is going to happen now, Porto are very stubborn and he is their prized asset. I don't want Sturridge to leave either tbh so if this deal doesnt go through it is not the end of the world although I would like Hulk as he can provide competion for Torres upfront as we.

I still think De Bruyne might go out on loan despite being given a squad number, especially if he can get a loan spell in the Premiership, it is nothing major but I have watched him and have high hopes for him. Sad thing is I don't reckon Kakuta is going to last here but I believe if he gets sold he will rock wherever he goes, I hope RDM sees something in him

Problem with the Hulk deal is that 10% of his rights are owned by some muppet who won't sell them back to Chelsea/Porto unless he gets well beyond their value, and Chelsea can't sign him unless all of his rights belong to one party (FA rules). Chelsea have run out of patience which is why you've seen interest in Schurrle, Jovetic and Oscar, and why De Bruyne is probably staying and not going out on loan (got the number 14 shirt and has had a lot of positive press).

Ah, I see. I'd quite like to see Chelsea make a formal approach for Schürrle then if that is the case because I think he's a fantastic prospect. I'm not really familiar with Oscar and I wonder if he really is worth the 30m euro price tag? Does anyone here know much about him outside of FM? I've also seen Jovetić play for Fiorentina several times and I've honestly never really been THAT impressed by him. He's a good player, sure, but there's definitely better options out there.

A formal approach was made last week, Leverkusen announced a bid of like €22m was rejected.

:eek:

I think you'd probably be looking at around €30-35 for Schürrle, tbh. I think he's a good player, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay that for him. I guess it depends on how much Roman or RDM wants him though.

By the way, I skimmed through the last 4 pages here and there's no mention of the AVB to Tottenham transfer? I just wondered what you boys made of that here. I think it's a pretty good appointment for them and I'd be interested in seeing what he can achieve when he has the full backing of the board and the players. Just hope Chelsea don't live to regret it.

This is quoted from some link I read on the bleacher report, someone who knows more about the player than most of us and regarding by what I have read here looks like a potentially brillaint signing awaiting us

"Chelsea's latest signing is that of Brazilian midfielder Oscar, who the club picked up from Internacional in the last few days.

Make no mistake, this is a massive signing for the club. Oscar will start for the Blues, despite being only 20-years-old.

Ed Malyon at the Daily Mirror highlights exactly what Blues fans are to expect from the midfield sensation next season.

That is, something brilliant.

Oscar might have only netted 10 goals in 23 appearances for Internacional ("only"), but his impact at the club will be in the attacking midfield role.

He will play a similar role to that of Luka Modric at Tottenham. He is able to explode into attack and destroy his opponents, but also play his teammates in for goal-scoring opportunities.

Oscar has been compared to world football legend Kaka, and will no doubt be a star of the English Premier League for several years to come."

:cool:

:eek:

I think you'd probably be looking at around €30-35 for Schürrle, tbh. I think he's a good player, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay that for him. I guess it depends on how much Roman or RDM wants him though.

By the way, I skimmed through the last 4 pages here and there's no mention of the AVB to Tottenham transfer? I just wondered what you boys made of that here. I think it's a pretty good appointment for them and I'd be interested in seeing what he can achieve when he has the full backing of the board and the players. Just hope Chelsea don't live to regret it.

As a Chelsea fan I was delighted. Of course you can't write him off after such a fantastic first season, but it's a huge risk for them imo.

why would Chelsea ever regret sacking avb? It allowed us to win the CL ffs :D I think if he's learned some man management skills then he'll do well, if not then he's gone in March and Stefan Freund is leading them to Europa glory.

why would Chelsea ever regret sacking avb? It allowed us to win the CL ffs :D I think if he's learned some man management skills then he'll do well, if not then he's gone in March and Stefan Freund is leading them to Europa glory.

I mean it in the sense that he could possibly make Tottenham a real force in the league for years to come and perhaps Chelsea would regret letting him go if he has lots of success at Tottenham, that's all. I actually hope he does well there though because I quite like AVB.

Do you only know Chelsea fans or something?

No, but only Americans. :p

Hell, most of them wanted Chelsea to win.

And for what it's worth, I think Muller might have a point here. May be a case where things work out better for both sides.

I mean it in the sense that he could possibly make Tottenham a real force in the league for years to come and perhaps Chelsea would regret letting him go if he has lots of success at Tottenham, that's all. I actually hope he does well there though because I quite like AVB.

He won't and we won't. If we ended the season badly then maybe we could regret it, but we won the CL. The only manager regret is sacking Mourinho.

Damn, I do wish we had shown some faith in Borini. Sadly he was one of the good players we have missed out on by having so many different managers over so many years. Really hope we start developing and then actually using the younger players a lot more in the future.

Ah, I see. I'd quite like to see Chelsea make a formal approach for Schürrle then if that is the case because I think he's a fantastic prospect. I'm not really familiar with Oscar and I wonder if he really is worth the 30m euro price tag? Does anyone here know much about him outside of FM? I've also seen Jovetić play for Fiorentina several times and I've honestly never really been THAT impressed by him. He's a good player, sure, but there's definitely better options out there.
Mario ist der Fußballgott, make of that what you will ;)As excited as I am at the prospect of Oscar, I'd have loved it if we got Jovetić as I think he's a class player. Oscar is in the Brazilian Olympic squad, I'm assuming, so a great opportunity to watch him play

The 18s won 12-1 against Torquay. Amazing way to start the season.

This is one of the reasons why England struggles to produce world class players. Chelsea U18s should play against other EPL teams every week and not the likes of Torquay.

Archived