Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha as much as I love that gif/celebration, he's still ****.
Er, no he isn't. He's had a good Euros but it's clear to see that he isn't used in a way to suit him (like he was used at Liverpool, under AVB and with Portugal). I'd probably keep him to have as a squad player as he'd be a good player to have for rotation and I think we should be looking to get rid of Benayoun, Essien and Malouda before looking at the remainder of the squad.

Disagree, one thing I hate is a midfielder who bottles tackles, and he's by far the worst at it. When he plays deep and you see him as last midfielder hanging a leg out or even moving out of the way, winds me right up. When we were playing the way we did in the big games (through necessity or whatever, don't care) he was a liability. He might, and that's a big ol' ******* of a might, be useful if we play how Portugal play, but we don't. My mind is 95% made up on him being a useless **** but I'll hold my hands up if he plays ok at the start of next season. I'm yet to see it in a Chelsea shirt.

So do we actually need Modric if we are going to be forking out a lot of money for him? In terms of the position he plays we already have Mata and Hazard who can both play there. Unless RDM think they could work well as an interchangeable 3 behind Torres/other striker. What do you guys reckon?

Modric plays deeper than those.

Yeah, i'll whisper it quietly for fear of a lynching but I am getting increasingly excited about what the EPPP reforms are bringing. The increased competitiveness and volume of games, and the Friday-Sunday boundaries should be really strong improvements, on-top of playing at Brentford. Add in the NextGen and i'm as excited about the Youth & Ressies next season as I am the seniors.

I suppose he would play deeper yeah. Surely though everything would still try and go through Mata/Hazard so he wouldn't get the ball as much as he is used to/wants? Oh well I suppose if we do get him they will have a plan for him.

Yeah, i'll whisper it quietly for fear of a lynching but I am getting increasingly excited about what the EPPP reforms are bringing. The increased competitiveness and volume of games, and the Friday-Sunday boundaries should be really strong improvements, on-top of playing at Brentford. Add in the NextGen and i'm as excited about the Youth & Ressies next season as I am the seniors.

I agree, can't bloody wait to see how we do in the NextGen.

• Administrators

U21s could conceivably line up Blackman, Kane, Chalobah, Ince, Deen-Conteh, C.Clifford, B.Clifford, Saville, Lucas Piazon, Lalkovic, Phillip next season, assuming no loans except for the likes of Kalas etc, who are blatantly going out, and also assuming Kakuta/McEachran etc are first-team only.

NextGen will basically be the entire FAYC team as they're all eligible, and the FAYC team something like Beeney, Gordon/Dabo, Davey/Christensen/Ake, Aké, Nditi, Christensen/Houghton/Loftus-Cheek, Swift, Baker, Seremba, Kiwomya, Feruz, but even then I'm leaving out a load of options like Bertrand Traore :DEIGHTEEN players in this year's intake btw.

• Administrators

He had two months on trial here, played/scored for the 16s and I was under the impression he was coming permanently as his Dad quit his job as a coach somewhere, but Colombian reports said it was just an 'internship' and he's back there now. Wait and see job on him I guess.

So from the 18 scholars - the only one coming from outside is:

Christensen (excited to see him)

Is that right? Sure i've missed someone.

And to a certain extent, as they have been here a while already, Feruz, Traore and Kiwomya (can't remember if Kiwomya joined last season or season before that).

• Administrators

Beeney, Killip, Christensen, Conroy, Dabo, Houghton, Muleba, Wright, Cole, Gnahore, Loftus-Cheek, Ssewankambo, Starkey, Feruz, Kandi, Kiwomya, Mitchell, Traore*

Christensen the only one arriving this summer yeah. Ssewankambo came as an Under-15, Feruz and Kandi last season, Kiwomya the season before.

Charly Musonda is still a schoolboy next season but yeah, ANOTHER who will compete for U18 playing time. Tyka and Lamisha with the U21s. Plus there's going to be lots of chances for Jeremie Boga (he's left school now) and a coupla other talented U16s ffs :D

Beeney, Killip, Christensen, Conroy, Dabo, Houghton, Muleba, Wright, Cole, Gnahore, Loftus-Cheek, Ssewankambo, Starkey, Feruz, Kandi, Kiwomya, Mitchell, Traore*

Christensen the only one arriving this summer yeah. Ssewankambo came as an Under-15, Feruz and Kandi last season, Kiwomya the season before.

Charly Musonda is still a schoolboy next season but yeah, ANOTHER who will compete for U18 playing time. Tyka and Lamisha with the U21s. Plus there's going to be lots of chances for Jeremie Boga (he's left school now) and a coupla other talented U16s ffs :D

Have we bought Musonda yet? Boga is a decent player, and I have seen Mitchell play in a school match. Out of the U18, who are the most talented in your opinion? With the next-gen series there are certain over aged players who are allowed to play right?

• Administrators

Musonda x3 are done, Anderlecht have said as much.

I rarely like to single out any 'one' player as the most talented, they're all good at things. I'll say Dion Conroy is someone who really surprised me last season when he got promoted to the 18s, he looks the part, very Terry-esque as a player. I like him.

Musonda apparently is regarded as one of the best his age in Europe. With our youth cup team Feruz looks very promising even I don't really like his personality. Piazon does too, but whether he will be a huge success here I am unsure. Seremba will get released I am sure, only offers pace really, nothing more. Mitchell and Kiwomya looks promising, I remember seeing Sterling in a school match and I always thought Chelsea should watch him and look where he has ended up now, annoyed about him.

Swift looks very good when I have watched him as have Ake and of course Chalobah. What do you make of Lewis Baker? He made headlines because we bought him as a young schoolboy from Luton but apart from dictating play doesnt really offer much apart from set pieces. You reckon he will cut it at us?

• Administrators

I think Baker's a fantastic player, probably my favourite in the team. I understand why some aren't certain on him though, most of my admiration comes from watching and seeing him up close in person; you don't see a lot of it on TV.

He is 2 footed and rarely loses possession which is what I like but when his scholarship finishes and he is offered a contract or not I wonder if the coaches think he has got a future here. He is not really a game change and when he plays more advanced eg Next Gen, or on loan he may struggle IMO. I still don't understand why we bought Bamford though, he has done well at us but he is of an age where he needs loan football and can't see him getting games at us.

On the transfer side I hope we fully get Debuchy. What a quality RB he is and him and Brana competing in the side will help us massively.

• Administrators

I'm almost certain he'll sign pro this summer, and I disagree that he's a game changer. I saw him take over many games last season and act as the absolute catalyst for the turnaround, although they weren't the high-profile FAYC games.

You are right actually, but reminds me of Conor Clifford, he could pass, shoot and run all day. Is still on the books at us but will he ever make a first team apperance, I highly doubt it. That is what I think may be the stumbling block for him. Feruz is obviously one of the brightest talents here but is quite diminutive so will be interesting to see if this affects him making it here. He wants to make his Chelsea debut before his next 17th birthday, a bit too ambitious I think. Needs to sort his attitude out first, but as I said is a terrific talent

Hopefully he can have another good season there and then he may be ready to challenge Cech for the starting place. Very exciting. The youth and reserve sides also look very promising as well but let's just hope that some of these are actually given their chance in the first team.

Any news about the European Super Cup? With regards Courtois ofc

According to the Spanish press there's no clause saying he can't play. Though Asenjo is a more than capable alternative if he doesn't play.

He's had two really serious injury's to the same knee, that doesn't make him Harry Kewell :mad: He's not had any niggling injuries or anything, just two long lay-offs. Just means that he's probably got a ****ed knee and will have problems with it for the rest of his life :(

• Administrators
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Traoré

Also could someone shed a bit of light on what it says here about Bertrand Traore (the bit about him not actually being our player). Is that sorted now? I say this when the quoted article is wikipedia :D Known for it's reliability ;)

He's ours, it's just rocky ground for the club to say so. I can assure you he's ours, I've seen him play a lot and he said so in an interview just last week.

[TABLE=class: outer_border]

[TR]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[TD]PL Squad List[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD]Cole, Ashley[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD]Lampard, Frank James[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD]Turnbull, Ross[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]4[/TD]

[TD]Sturridge, Daniel[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD]Terry, John George[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD]Bertrand, Ryan[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD]Cahill, Gary James[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]8[/TD]

[TD]Hutchinson, Samuel Edward[/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD]Cech, Petr[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]10[/TD]

[TD]Ivanovic, Branislav[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[TD]Luiz Moreira Marinho, David[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]12[/TD]

[TD]Essien, Michael[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]13[/TD]

[TD]Santos Do Nascimento, Ramires[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]14[/TD]

[TD]Torres Sanz, Fernando Jose[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]15[/TD]

[TD]Mata Garcia, Juan Manuel[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]16[/TD]

[TD]Mikel, John Obi[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]17[/TD]

[TD]Malouda, Florent Johan[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]18[/TD]

[TD]Meireles, Raul Jose Trindade[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]19[/TD]

[TD]Ferreira, Paulo Renato Rebocho[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]20[/TD]

[TD]Sampaio, Henrique Hilario Meireles[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]21[/TD]

[TD]Marin, Marko[/TD]

[TD]No[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Kalou, Salomon[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Drogba, Didier[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Bosingwa Da Silva, Jose[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Under 21 List (After 1/1/1991)[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Hazard, Eden[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]De Bruyne, Kevin[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Romeu, Oriol[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Kakuta, Gael[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Lukaku, Romelu[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]McEachran, Josh[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Black Hole[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Van Aanholt, Patrick[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Looks promising but it shows the squad is currently pretty small (22 players when you include Hazard) if we aren't prepared to utilise Hutchinson, Kakuta, McEachran, Romeu as proper squad members - especially considering Ferreira only plays a smattering of minutes, Essien is busted, and Malouda seems to be off also.

Haven't heard much.

That's true, but the squad generally looks fresh and versatile.

I'm really hoping that RDM will use some of the youth as squad players, particularly McEachran, Romeu and KDB (if he stays). Not sure what to make of Kakuta these days, so will just have to see what happens. Would be nice for him to have a chance, but I didn't see anything of him at Dijon other than the highlights showing some tricks and a few goals, so can't really judge how he's developed.

Well apart from his wages he would be moving on a free right? Not seen much of him playing over the last few years but surely for free he's a good signing?

I hope we do use Hutch, McEachran, KDB a bit this year as I am sure they can contribute. I mean for all we know (not saying this will be the case), De Bruyne could come in, play really well and we wouldn't have to buy a right winger. Or he doesn't do as well, which I suppose the club probably won't risk.

Archived