Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we assuming Maicon, if it happens, will be free? I might be going batshit mental, every chance, but I am convinced I read £18m in an article earlier. Not that I believe for a minute that'd be the fee but all suggests money will be transferred...

I thought they were clearing out their older high earners? Lucio was let go even though he has two years left on his contract, Maicon will more than likely be the same with only 1 year left on his deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/30/euro-2012-john-terry-england

Read that this morning, but didn't have time to post my questions.

Firstly, thoughts on it? I think the point about Terry being ill suited to the way AVB wanted to play is fair enough, but a good manager should surely play to his players strengths. Lots of ways to look at it and go into more detail, but that'll do.

Secondly, how do you think we'll handle Terry's decline generally? Do you think he'll turn into a squad player, or retire because his body has gone and he's an all or nothing player?

Firstly, thoughts on it? I think the point about Terry being ill suited to the way AVB wanted to play is fair enough, but a good manager should surely play to his players strengths. Lots of ways to look at it and go into more detail, but that'll do.

I think the whole point of AVB is that he was brought in to play a specific style of football that the club wanted the team to transition to. Obviously with hindsight that was never going to work out in the manner that AVB tried to implement it (particularly with the not-so-unknown man management issues), but it explains why he tried to do so.

How to make Torres effective: basically play with 10 men until someone can make a perfect through pass for Torres to score. :D

On another note, met Jose Mourinho in real life about 2 weeks ago, was here giving a speech to the football kids. Taller than he seems on TV. Was kinda awestruck but i asked him if he would ever come back to Chelsea. He said his time is over but there will always be Chelsea in his heart. What a great man.

So would Maicon be on a free or would he be £6million? Conflicting stories from various places and then there would be large wages on top of that. Really I would much rather go for players such as Van der Wiel, Piszczek etc, maybe even Kyle Walker although he would probably command a massive fee, especially as Spurs wouldn't want to sell either. I suppose it depends on how the see Hutch, if they genuinely think he could have the potential to be a first team starter then it would make more sense to have someone older who could be real backup/starter until he is ready.

Also I swear I read somewhere (may have been a lame site though) that Hodgson was looking as Bertrand to be one of the players he would like to bring in to the England fold. Really hope he does this if it is true, would be great for him.

Not when you take into account how much Maicon's wages would be. Maicon's **** too and Debuchy is awesome. Having said that, I'd take Piszczek if we're looking at RBs

Really? Maicon was pretty fantastic only a year or two ago as far as I'm aware. That's going on reputation only, of course, as I've never watched him other than the occasion CL game. I'd rather get Debuchy anyway, as he's younger and on the up, probably costing less in wages. No idea who Piszczek is, though.

Not when you take into account how much Maicon's wages would be. Maicon's **** too and Debuchy is awesome. Having said that, I'd take Piszczek if we're looking at RBs

Maicon clearly isn't ****. He's looked poor for Inter this year but so has everyone including players like Sneijder and Milito etc so it's clearly a club thing. Wait and see how good or bad he is at a new club. And this Debuchy/Piawhatever talk is such nonsense when Debuchy looked like **** at euro2012, would rather play Hutchinson there.

Maicon clearly isn't ****. He's looked poor for Inter this year but so has everyone including players like Sneijder and Milito etc so it's clearly a club thing. Wait and see how good or bad he is at a new club. And this Debuchy/Piawhatever talk is such nonsense when Debuchy looked like **** at euro2012, would rather play Hutchinson there.

I agree with most things you say apart from the bolded part. Debuchy was very good at the Euros, the reason he is gaining interest across Europe.

I agree with most things you say apart from the bolded part. Debuchy was very good at the Euros, the reason he is gaining interest across Europe.

Really? Maicon was pretty fantastic only a year or two ago as far as I'm aware. That's going on reputation only, of course, as I've never watched him other than the occasion CL game. I'd rather get Debuchy anyway, as he's younger and on the up, probably costing less in wages. No idea who Piszczek is, though.

Players can decline quickly, just look at Evra. It's unlikely that in a league such as this one, coming here when you're slightly past your peak that you're going to improve. Anyway, get him. Can't wait to see how Bale does against him.

Debuchy is 27.

Players can decline quickly, just look at Evra. It's unlikely that in a league such as this one, coming here when you're slightly past your peak that you're going to improve. Anyway, get him. Can't wait to see how Bale does against him.

Debuchy is 27.

Bale will be playing right-back under AvB

Maicon has been mediocre ever since Mourinho left Inter and is on the wrong side of 30. Debuchy was class for France at the Euros tbf.

Debuchy was good vs England, mediocre vs Ukraine and got tore apart by Sweden and Spain. He was bad and not good enough for us. I'd much rather have Maicon for a couple of seasons rotating with Ivanovic then see if there are any decent prospects. Because right now there are none, VdW and Debuchy showed they aren't good enough and Walker would never be allowed to sign for us.

And Maicon was playing injured in that Spurs game.

Debuchy was good vs England, mediocre vs Ukraine and got tore apart by Sweden and Spain. He was bad and not good enough for us. I'd much rather have Maicon for a couple of seasons rotating with Ivanovic then see if there are any decent prospects. Because right now there are none, VdW and Debuchy showed they aren't good enough and Walker would never be allowed to sign for us.

And Maicon was playing injured in that Spurs game.

Tbf Debuchy was playing on the RW in the Spain game.

So apparently Spurs will bid £10million for Sturridge. I honestly hope we don't sell him although RDM doesn't appear to keen on him. If he would pass a lot more and do his defensive tracking back etc. then I think there would be no problem with him. Still think we should try him out properly as a striker during pre-season before we decide to do something. I don't want us to sell him, but if we do it should be for more than £10million.

So apparently Spurs will bid £10million for Sturridge. I honestly hope we don't sell him although RDM doesn't appear to keen on him. If he would pass a lot more and do his defensive tracking back etc. then I think there would be no problem with him. Still think we should try him out properly as a striker during pre-season before we decide to do something. I don't want us to sell him, but if we do it should be for more than £10million.

I would be so angry if we let Sturridge go, same reasons as you, with age he will mature and hopefully RDM does see something in him

Archived