Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Why are people so insistent on replacing Carroll (if he goes)? He doesn't fit the system so we don't need a replacement!

Would love it if the Kaka and Higuain rumours are true, I guess Brendan's past with Mourinho might help out in that situation. I'd prefer Xabi though.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are people so insistent on replacing Carroll (if he goes)? He doesn't fit the system so we don't need a replacement!.

numbers upfront and options? i don't think anyone is saying line up a direct replacement. more that it would probably be wise to have more than suarez an borini as our senior strikers.

I think Dempsey will add to those numbers shortly and wouldn't be surprised to see another signing or two before the league starts.

Relax people, we have weeks until the league starts and a whole month before the transfer window closes.

but nobody has suggested we do, so why is he saying people are insistent?

Good point, nobody in here has been saying that. Was reading posts from another site at the same time earlier and they were all saying it. My brain has clearly mixed the two up. I should not be allowed to have more than one tab open at any one time :o.

Joshyboy summed up what I was getting at, we need more attacking options but not a Carroll-type.

I really don't understand Liverpool football club at the moment. 3 years ago we were very close to winning the league. 4 we were in the CL final. There is no way the profile of our club has dropped to the level it seemingly thinks it has in that time. And yet they seem determined to drive it down further with the players targetted.

I look around at the names who've moved clubs in the last year or so and it staggers me we weren't in for some of them. So little ambition, yet so much spent.

Even this Dempsey transfer worries me. Does anyone remember this?

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-chairman-drops-dempsey-hint

So so far two of Brendan's mates and one of Tom's on the way. Do we have ANY scouts?

No, but after the last couple of seasons where voicing concerns just get's you shouted down, i REALLY can't be bothered anymore.

We might do well this season, it just seems like it will be down to luck more than good judgement. Too many seemingly untouchable average players already in the squad and all we seem to be doing is adding even more.

I really don't understand Liverpool football club at the moment. 3 years ago we were very close to winning the league. 4 we were in the CL final. There is no way the profile of our club has dropped to the level it seemingly thinks it has in that time. And yet they seem determined to drive it down further with the players targetted.

I look around at the names who've moved clubs in the last year or so and it staggers me we weren't in for some of them. So little ambition, yet so much spent.

This.

Amazingly useless scouts

Apart from last season, Dempsey has averaged about the same goals+assists as Kuyt. So I think for £5m he's almost a direct replacement for Dirk.

We don't really have any starting 11 spots available if we buy anyone though do we?

Assuming we 4-3-3

Reina

Enrique

Skrtel

Agger

Johnson

Lucas

Henderson

Gerrard

Downing

Suarez

Dempsey

So anyone we buy now needs to be a squad player.

We're already happy enough with Doni, Coates, Kelly, Shelvey and Borini, assuming we'll lose Aquilani and Carroll so need to buy replacements for them, that leaves us wanting to spend money to improve on Backup LB, Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Cole and Bellamy. Most of which can probably already do a decent rotation job for cup/europa games but will struggle if we have a long term injury and we need one of them to step in for an extended period of time.

And that's without considering giving some of the youngsters a run out, Robinson, Flannagan, Coady, Sterling, Suso, Pacheco etc.

Dempsey is a really good player. I'm sure Borini and Allen probably are too. But they're not bold enough. They're not going to really take us on a level. Adequate replacements for departed players and maybe even enhancements. But not groundbreaking improvements. That for me is worrying because while we might see steady, gradual, organic improvement... are the like of Suarez, Reina, Agger, Johnson, Lucas et al willing to wait 4 years before we start winning things or challenging at the top?

No-one is suggesting we go and buy Falcao or someone like that, but there's a middle ground between him and Clint Dempsey, and we are more than capable of getting that middle ground to the club.

I really think Liverpool are getting to a seriously critical point here. I honestly don't think we're far off a top 4 push. One or two really astute signings, Rodgers being good and some luck. But I also think we are dangerously close to slipping into Aston Villa territory and that is going to take years to come back from.

Apart from last season, Dempsey has averaged about the same goals+assists as Kuyt. So I think for £5m he's almost a direct replacement for Dirk.

We don't really have any starting 11 spots available if we buy anyone though do we?

Assuming we 4-3-3

Reina

Enrique

Skrtel

Agger

Johnson

Lucas

Henderson

Gerrard

Downing

Suarez

Dempsey

So anyone we buy now needs to be a squad player.

We're already happy enough with Doni, Coates, Kelly, Shelvey and Borini, assuming we'll lose Aquilani and Carroll so need to buy replacements for them, that leaves us wanting to spend money to improve on Backup LB, Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Cole and Bellamy. Most of which can probably already do a decent rotation job for cup/europa games but will struggle if we have a long term injury and we need one of them to step in for an extended period of time.

And that's without considering giving some of the youngsters a run out, Robinson, Flannagan, Coady, Sterling, Suso, Pacheco etc.

So we are assuming Henderson and Downing will magically become footballers this season and a change from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 plus Dempsey will improve us from 8th place ?

Like i say it may well be an improvement but it will be luck more than good judgement, That first eleven doesn't really inspire me.

No-one is suggesting we go and buy Falcao or someone like that, but there's a middle ground between him and Clint Dempsey, and we are more than capable of getting that middle ground to the club.

tbf :
Let's sell him for what we can get and spaff the whole of the transfer budget on Falcao. Who's with me? ;)

don't care enough to format, but some of you are being utterly hysterical

Rank Player Club Goals

1 Robin van Persie Arsenal 30

2 Wayne Rooney Manchester United 27

3 Sergio Agüero Manchester City 23

4 Clint Dempsey Fulham 17

Emmanuel Adebayor Tottenham Hotspur 17

Yakubu Blackburn Rovers 17

7 Demba Ba Newcastle United 16

8 Grant Holt Norwich City 15

9 Edin Džeko Manchester City 14

10 Mario Balotelli Manchester City 13

Papiss Cissé Newcastle United 13

How did he do the season before that?

Downing also had a good season before signing for us. I always new he wasn't going to be good enough to move us on though. A half decent squad player at best.

Dempsey would be a good signing for us, exactly the kind of flexibility and professionalism we need at the moment.

I can understand why people are annoyed that we're not going for better signings, but the truth is we're just not in a position to offer anybody anything at the moment. We can't compete money wise, no CL, we finished 8th last season and our club reputation really is at an all time low. We're gonna have to accept this position because unless rodgers masterminds some kind of revolution we're gonna be here for a good couple of years. What we need right now are players with character who can handle the unrealistic expectations heaped upon Liverpool players, who will do their job according to the manager's plan. Forget big names, forget big money signings because they're just not gonna happen. It's time to look at what we've got and actually do something useful with it instead of wishing we had someone else on the wing or up front.

How did he do the season before that?.
7, which is more league goals than anyone bar Suaresz got, and pretty sure Dempsey was playing deeper then too, though may need to be corrected
Downing also had a good season before signing for us. I always new he wasn't going to be good enough to move us on though. A half decent squad player at best.

So what, we should only buy players in hindsight?

7, which is more league goals than anyone bar Suaresz got, and pretty sure Dempsey was playing deeper then too, though may need to be corrected

he played as a right midfielder (who drifted in a ton) that season. that was the fulham europa league run season under roy.

Dempsey would be a good signing for us, exactly the kind of flexibility and professionalism we need at the moment.

I can understand why people are annoyed that we're not going for better signings, but the truth is we're just not in a position to offer anybody anything at the moment. We can't compete money wise, no CL, we finished 8th last season and our club reputation really is at an all time low. We're gonna have to accept this position because unless rodgers masterminds some kind of revolution we're gonna be here for a good couple of years. What we need right now are players with character who can handle the unrealistic expectations heaped upon Liverpool players, who will do their job according to the manager's plan. Forget big names, forget big money signings because they're just not gonna happen. It's time to look at what we've got and actually do something useful with it instead of wishing we had someone else on the wing or up front.

This really.

Think our biggest signing(recently) was Torres and that was after winning the CL's league, F.A cup then getting into another CL final.

So we are assuming Henderson and Downing will magically become footballers this season and a change from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 plus Dempsey will improve us from 8th place ? Like i say it may well be an improvement but it will be luck more than good judgement, That first eleven doesn't really inspire me.
A tiny bit more clinical finishing alone could have got us from 8th to 4th last season.

So what, we should only buy players in hindsight?

Not at all. It was in response to Dave suggesting that Dempsey had a great season, so he must be great. Adam and Downing had great seasons as well.

Edit - Just wanted to say that I'm not anti Dempsey, as a squad player, but no more than that. For 5mill he would be a decent signing. I'm just bothered that no matter who the manager would have been, I'm pretty sure we would be signing him anyway.

I think the Suarez signing was not as big but comparable to the Torres signing given his reputation. Unfortunately I think a lot of players, including Downing and Henderson, suffered form-wise due to mismanagement by KD. Giving players the confidence to play well and trust in their plan is one of the key functions of a coach/manager, and I think that was a big part of the problem last year. I'm hoping (and that's all it is atm) that BR will be better.

rodgers has said theres a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes on a number of transfers today so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. dempsey looks a certainty and he will definitely improve us imo.

what i do like is hes looking at getting very hard workers in and not show boaters who flatter to deceive most of the time. thats why i wouldnt be surprised to see adam and downing go though tbf downing looked to work harder in the game the other day than i seen from him all last season.

I have a feeling in my waters that we will be alright, just need a bit of patience and time for Rodgers to make the changes he needs to and we will see positive results.

Relax, kick back and enjoy the ride.

Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com: "There's a lot of great work going on, obviously with the board and Ian Ayre in particular doing a lot of work behind the scenes. I've got regular contact going with our American owners and, in particular, Mike Gordon from Fenway Sports Group."Obviously when it's a club like Liverpool prices are always increased and so on, but I always felt it was important by the beginning of the season we could have the squad we want - and certainly by the end of the transfer window I would hope that will be the case.

"There is lots of speculation. I've seen hundreds of names linked with Liverpool and there's very few of them that were even close to coming here or we have even looked at.

"Unfortunately for the supporters they've got to read it and put up with it. But the message is there is a lot of work going on, on a number of deals and hopefully we can get those completed by the end of August.

too much moaning going on in here. i expect rodgers to get the players already here playing at a better standard than last season and as much as dalglish was a disaster come the end of the season i think people are pretty ignorant to how well the players performed in the big games and in parts throughout the season (minus the finishing), we didn't play the horror show that everyone would like us believe.

we were miles short in either defense or attack in alot of the games obv but the overall play was better than our points tally suggested and i'd expect rodgers to turn alot of those results around even with the same players.

he obviously believes in the players he's looking to bring in and judging from the football he played last season i'm not concerned at the profile of the player being brought in rather than how they fit into his style and the players already here.

What is with all the constant moaning on these forums lately :(.

Rodgers has barely even had a chance to get through the door so why not give him a bit of time. Christ, the transfer window is a month away from shutting still. Jesus!!!!

Last updated on Monday so assuming something has changed since then? Or has the time passed and cant make amendments to it?

that's the list I got it from a Jen Chang tweet. I would assume the deadline would have been Monday for the tie this week.

It could be that Aqua hasn't travelled with the squad for the game?

[/color][/font]

too much moaning going on in here. i expect rodgers to get the players already here playing at a better standard than last season and as much as dalglish was a disaster come the end of the season i think people are pretty ignorant to how well the players performed in the big games and in parts throughout the season (minus the finishing), we didn't play the horror show that everyone would like us believe.

we were miles short in either defense or attack in alot of the games obv but the overall play was better than our points tally suggested and i'd expect rodgers to turn alot of those results around even with the same players.

he obviously believes in the players he's looking to bring in and judging from the football he played last season i'm not concerned at the profile of the player being brought in rather than how they fit into his style and the players already here.

Yes i 2nd what you are saying Knapp. last season aside, unless we had a complete donk in charge with the current crop of players we have there is no way we would have another bad league season as that bad next year...

We wont know where we are at under Rodgers untill at least 10 league games have passed, dont pass judgment this early..

Archived