Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a new starting 11 member of the front 3, mainly to replace Suso. With that done that's a really good starting 11 we have. But our backups are an absolutely shocking combination of too old, too young and just not good enough. So I hope we can bring in some more squad players in January as well as a big name frontman.

Reina/Jones

Johnson/Enrique/Downing

Agger/Coates

Skrtel/Carragher

Kelly/Wisdom

Lucas/Sahin

Allen/Henderson

Gerrard/Shelvey

Suso/Assaidi

Suarez/Borini

Sterling/Cole

So a win in the next game should see us through, nice.

I'm not sure if it goes off head to head. Lets say if we beat Young Boys and Udinese fail to beat Anji, that could be us through surely?

If I was an Anzhi fan id be dissapointed with that performance given the team we put out. Looked like we lacked a bit of confidence and really need to add some decisiveness in front of goal to our game. Decent showing from the young lads though and a good experience for them. We should batter Young Boys at home and get a draw at Udinese and that will see us through

I'm not sure if it goes off head to head. Lets say if we beat Young Boys and Udinese fail to beat Anji, that could be us through surely?

Yep, if we win against Young Boys, even if they finished on the same points as us we'd be ahead of them based on the head-to-head record.

Just finished watching Being: Liverpool start to finish. I'm suprised how well done it was. A nice look inside the club. Even shed a tear at the end. I wish I didn't live on the other side of the world from Anfield... :( Can't wait to go back in the new year.

About the goals issue, from what the media have said I think Rodgers believes Borini is the goal-getter. I agree that Borini soon has got the attributes to become a great poacher but he's still a fair amount away from his 22nd birthday and in the short-term Liverpool need goals, the over-reliance on Suarez for everything is becoming ridiculous. The youth are very exciting and great for the long-term vision of the club and as I say Borini,Sterling,Shelvey,Borini will be great etc but to keep some short-term stability some real strength in depth with somewhat experience needs to be added in the attack, perhaps somebody like Huntelaar who's experienced and clinical, that's got to be priority January not another baby!

Priority for January would be a goal scorer, definitely. Age isn't a concern, but someone who can score and fits the bill of being a young guy would do nicely. Unfortunately, with the fact that we can't compete in the transfer market for ridiculous fees and wages, we are pretty stuck in options atm.

We just better hope that this new scouting and acquisitions team or whatever they've decided to call it that we didn't have set up in the summer is full of wizards or something that can magic up star players. Or at least crazily talented at their job.

If only it were that easy. I'd keep Henderson though, he will be quality eventually. It'd be a complete nonsense if we got rid and then he ended up being a world beater. The rest are paid too much for what they do and are pretty mediocre. Other than Carra, who should just take a job as a coach at the end of the year and retire.

571184_Liverpool.jpg571187_Liverpool.jpg

Sell Carroll, Spearing, Downing, Henderson, Cole, Doni - play Carragher in token matches until the summer then retire him.

even with them 2 teams theres still question marks over 12/13 of them.

wisdom, kelly, coates not good enough (yet!) jones, carra, enrique and skrtel again arguably not good enough, hendo, suso shelvey and sterling (and maybe borini) should be destroying the reserves league for the rest of the season.

that leaves us with a (dodgy) riena, gerrard allen and sahin (??) agger, suarez and a non existent walcott....

the first team right now is shockingly awful, with maybe five of them that seem good enough to give us any confidence. that simply isnt good enough, if investment isnt made in jan and the summer then we're going nowhere fast for the forseable future.

wisdom, kelly, coates not good enough (yet!) jones, carra, enrique and skrtel again arguably not good enough, hendo, suso shelvey and sterling (and maybe borini) should be destroying the reserves league for the rest of the season.

that leaves us with a (dodgy) riena, gerrard allen and sahin (??) agger, suarez and a non existent walcott....

the first team right now is shockingly awful, with maybe five of them that seem good enough to give us any confidence. that simply isnt good enough, if investment isnt made in jan and the summer then we're going nowhere fast for the forseable future.

What exactly has Kelly done wrong to say he's not good enough yet? Fair play he seems injury prone so relying on him as first choice could backfire but he's been fine when he's playing. Wisdom yeah he's not good enough and Coates you can argue both sides but that's exactly why they're in backup side and not the first team.

Also, no way we should be playing Shelvey and Sterling in the reserves.

ideally they should, with limited appearances for the first team, until they prove themselves, not thrown in because we have no better options. in the very distant past, when we had a decent team, they both wouldnt get a look in, especially shelvey after missing the sitters he missed the other day.

and im a big fan of his

even with them 2 teams theres still question marks over 12/13 of them.wisdom, kelly, coates not good enough (yet!) jones, carra, enrique and skrtel again arguably not good enough, hendo, suso shelvey and sterling (and maybe borini) should be destroying the reserves league for the rest of the season.that leaves us with a (dodgy) riena, gerrard allen and sahin (??) agger, suarez and a non existent walcott....the first team right now is shockingly awful, with maybe five of them that seem good enough to give us any confidence. that simply isnt good enough, if investment isnt made in jan and the summer then we're going nowhere fast for the forseable future.
There's barely a single point here that I agree with. Skrtel not good enough? :D

I don't really see Walcott as a striker, there's a reason he doesn't play there for Arsenal, no matter how much he wants to. We need a natural and reliable finisher, not another experiment or someone who needs time to develop into a role. Age should be much less of a concern here too. If we need to spend £8-£10m plus wages on someone who's 30 and will have limited resale value, then so be it. The most important thing we're lacking is goals, changing that should be the priority.

Buying Walcott has become a non-starter with the progression of Sterling. The money should go on a proven striker. Huntelaar sounds like a reasonable option to me, but there must be others.

According to the twitterati our team tomorrow is:

Reina/Jones: Wisdom, Carragher, Agger: Johnson, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Enrique: Sterling: Suarez in a 3-5-1-1 system. Late fitness test for Reina I presume and Skrtel out with a virus apparently

If that is the team then I am watching this from behind the sofa - Carragher :(

According to the twitterati our team tomorrow is:

Reina/Jones: Wisdom, Carragher, Agger: Johnson, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Enrique: Sterling: Suarez in a 3-5-1-1 system. Late fitness test for Reina I presume and Skrtel out with a virus apparently

If that is the team then I am watching this from behind the sofa - Carragher :(

That looks like total turd. How can Carragher be ahead of Coates in the pecking order? And if Johnson and Wisdom are both fit then Enrique shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.

NB: Not blaming you Jep.

Pretty sure we have gone to chelsea with a back 5 last couple of times with success. In some ways it has partly helpful in that when Enrique and Johnson give the ball away theres an extra man in there. That said they play 1 upfront and its not like he just sits and waits for the ball to come to him.

I agree with what you are saying, i would love to get Walcott but id like to see us keep Carroll and try Carroll, Walcott and Suarez together untill end of season to see how it would work..

Yesturday it was reported that Raheem Sterling was going to reject Liverpools 20K pw contract because he wanted 50Kpw, in today's paper he is a target for Man City! is he getting to big for his boots? surly he wouldn't leave the club at such a young age thinking he was to good for a club like Liverpool?

Not saying it is true but it is very believable.

Young players these days want everything a lot faster than say when Gerrard came through. And there are horrible clubs like Man City and Chelsea who are willing to give it to them before they are ready. There's lots of examples,

Sturridge went to Chelsea as City, at the time, wouldn't pay what he wanted. Pogba left Utd to go to Juve. There were even reports that Welbeck wanted 50K a week after getting a few starts.

Will most likely be paper talk, but he will also have his agent in his ear telling how much young first team players at other clubs are getting. Telling him how much he could be getting because he is an international now.

Football is evil. Good luck today.

Archived