Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HUNT3R,

Thanks for the answer.

But why Inside Forward or Winger haven't "move into channels" instructions? But BBM or CM have. Opposite situation looks much more logical for me.

Also, it is possible in CM isntructions to turn on at the same moment and "hold position" and "move into channels". What behavior it will be. How he will running between DC and DR/DL if he (CM!) have to hold position?

Because they're already wide. You can select Sit Narrower anyway, if you want them narrower.

It does what it says on the tin. The player will hold position (not make runs forward) but still drift toward the channel.

different coaches with the sam tac know nd JPA give completely different opp instruction, what do people look out for in who to listen to?

What do you think is important & why?

Do you think it is always wise to do what your coaches tell you? If yes do you also follow their advice on what formation & team instructions to use or do you create your own system?

What is your opinion in using DLP and AP at the same time in a formation or multiple playmakers within the same formation?

How would you make them fully functional together.

For me, now in 2025 with juventus i see way to many Deep L.playmakers which forces me to either sell, or try and use x2 DLP + 1 advanced playmaker (since i also got to many of those).

I focus mostly on req. youngsters and its because of this i have ended up in this situation. Letting my Dof handle the req of new talents and bringing them to the club seems to have backfired a little

bit now.

What is your opinion in using DLP and AP at the same time in a formation or multiple playmakers within the same formation?

How would you make them fully functional together.

For me, now in 2025 with juventus i see way to many Deep L.playmakers which forces me to either sell, or try and use x2 DLP + 1 advanced playmaker (since i also got to many of those).

I focus mostly on req. youngsters and its because of this i have ended up in this situation. Letting my Dof handle the req of new talents and bringing them to the club seems to have backfired a little

bit now.

As long as the playmakers all operate in their own space, it should be fine. Two DLPs may well not do that though.

What do you think is important & why?

Do you think it is always wise to do what your coaches tell you? If yes do you also follow their advice on what formation & team instructions to use or do you create your own system?

i didn't explain,different coaches are giving me completely different advice even with the same ratings for tactics etc when it comes to opp instructions, how does this work? why do some give advice to close down a certain amount nd another to hard tackle?

i was using the advice last season for opp instruction nd it worked well but now have two coaches with same ratings nd wondering why different advice?

Each coach will have a preferred style & mentality which will affect how they would approach the game & therefore change what instructions they would employ if they were in your position, it's left to you to decide who might be offering the best advice or whether you should choose team, player & opposition instruction that you believe to be more appropriate for the match.

Also for the love the God it's 'and' not 'nd'. :D Please think of the children and those who do not use English as their first language.

Playing with the normal 4231 where the 3 sentral are x2 DPL and 1 APM

On paper that would suggest that they will all look to control the game in similar areas of the pitch, have you tried the setup in a match & if so what behaviour did you see from your midfield three?

It does what it says on the tin. The player will hold position (not make runs forward) but still drift toward the channel.

But in my opinion space between CD and FB is pretty far from CMs. While he will drift toward the channel without forward run, attack comes to end. Where am I wrong?

Key Pass is "the final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring. On their own as an isolated stat they tell you nothing about your system really.

So pre-assist figures, for lack of better term?

Im getting like 40-50 a game in my possession asymetric, jsut thought it was high.

Stupid question here.

I'm using a 4-2-4 system, and sometimes my fullbacks have low scores after the match (I've seen 6.4, 6.2 and such). In one of these situations, I warned the player in question and told him that he played badly; the response was something like: "the midfield wasn't helping" -- I wasn't really expecting that.

Now, I'm not looking for something thorough, just some suggestions. I'm trying to put up a system with some emphasis in attack without using any kind of TI, Standard/Flexible:

G(D)

FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)

CM(D) BBM(S)

IF(A) CF(S) AF(A) W(A)

I'm using fullbacks on support because I feel that if I change to a more attacking role, the defense suffers a lot. Which midfield partnerships work well with fullbacks on support? Should I change the midfield to the DM strata with perhaps more agressive roles? On the other hand, without a BBM, I might loose the connection with the attack. Any suggestions?

They were probably right, AML/R with attack duties suggest that they will often have been left exposed on the flanks, to achieve a system with an attacking emphasis while protecting your defence from counter attacks you are going to have to consider dropping players back to your midfield line & using TIs & PIs to then add attacking intent when in possession.

Probably not much I can do but does anyone have any ideas about how to stop players running away from a throw in? Too often players back away to receive the ball thus meaning an opponent nips in front and a counter attack opportunity occurs for the opposition, especially because it takes your full back (taking throw in) and usually half the midfield out of the game. Basics really and very frustrating and as far as I can see no way to get them to move towards the ball.

Some of my players dribble the ball too long and get dispossessed. Is there an attribute or PPM that causes this? And is there something I can do to get them to pass the ball before they lose it?

Thanks

Some of my players dribble the ball too long and get dispossessed. Is there an attribute or PPM that causes this? And is there something I can do to get them to pass the ball before they lose it?

Thanks

Maybe tell them to dribble less.

Thanks

...also there are indeed 'runs with ball' ppms, have you checked the players in question? You'd need to retrain them to stop it if you want them to refrain completely.

Does player condition take into account sprints vs jogs or is it just based on distance covered (assuming no injuries)?

It's just run/walk, a change to account for intensity is on the to do list at SI Towers.

The above was correct as of FM15 however in do to believe any changes were introduced for FM16.

It's just run/walk, a change to account for intensity is on the to do list at SI Towers.

The above was correct as of FM15 however in do to believe any changes were introduced for FM16.

Ah, so there's no different condition penalty for running vs walking? I'm only asking because I switched to a counter formation for a few matches and noticed my WBA constantly sprinting back into position with no real impact on his condition.

There is for running v walking but they are the only states of movement, afaik there is no change in how much it takes out of a player to jog, run or sprint & that a player could do full sprint doggies with no drop in speed until they run out of energy(condition).

There is for running v walking but they are the only states of movement, afaik there is no change in how much it takes out of a player to jog, run or sprint & that a player could do full sprint doggies with no drop in speed until they run out of energy(condition).

Ok, got it.

Ah, so there's no different condition penalty for running vs walking? I'm only asking because I switched to a counter formation for a few matches and noticed my WBA constantly sprinting back into position with no real impact on his condition.

This is one area I hope gets some attention- it is hard to notice ingame condition drops in terms of play which in turn makes it hard to employ strategies to tire out opponents or take advantage of team with a heavy schedule.

In my Spurs save, every goal we've conceded this season (literally every single one) has come from a right-sided attacking midfielder (or an AM cutting in on the right if there's only one). The thing that confuses me is that my left-sided defenders are nominally better than the right-sided ones. I'm using FB-A, BPD-D, BPD-D and FB-A across the back line with a DM and a roaming playmaker in front of them. The left is the RPM side. Does the RPM mean that I don't have enough defensive cover on the left side?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just after some quick glancing advice. Last season I finished 7th in my second season with Bournemouth playing a flat 4-4-2, it was decent, but not quite prolific. This Summer I had one of my best players bought at release clause (Zivkovic - £45m) and also my main striker (Milik - £14.5m). Coupled with the money I was already given I went a bit crazy and absolutely stockpiled on central midfield players, all of which will be expecting to feature as close to first team as possible. So with that in mind, I've had to re-jink my tactic and I've come up with a 4-4-2 narrow diamond (below).

mxbvUlk.png

So from the above you can kind of see my dilemma. I need to fit Wilshire, Romero, Bender, Bentancur and Arter (fyi awesome for me as RPM last season) into the squad, and I almost bought a transfer listed Goretzka too! Naturally rotation will need to occur, but I can't handle a mutiny early season for lack of game time. I also don't have any wingers of note to use (still have about £70m to spend should I need to and I think I may look to bring in another striker).

Looking at the screenshot, does that basic diamond look sensible? My biggest concerns, naturally, is having enough width in attack and also to effectively defend the flanks especially when it comes to opposition winger/fullback double team. I also worry about the roles of the entire front 3 (may look to change the CFs into a DLF or F9).

In theory I want to apply high pressure from the front and in the midfield to win back early, then remain somewhat composed on the ball while we look for our openings (I may remove higher tempo from team instructions, may see how it plays for a few games). Only PI I have are for the fullbacks to stay wide and for DMd to close down much less as I think him keeping shape in defence will be crucial - moreso than those above him anyway.

From the SS you can see I also have/had a 4321 (Christmas tree style), but this is an absolute nightmare when it comes to defending the flanks, the lack of a DM seemed detrimental - and dropping a midfield to DM made the formation look, well, weird (and even more narrow).

Cheers.

You might also want to review your transfer strategy, just because a good player can be bought it doesn't mean you should buy them as it can create the tactical & selection dilemma you have found yourself in.

Tactically are you not worried about counter attacks? I would be. You have two midfielders who will rarely be in their nominal central position which means that Bender & Goretzka (I assume he'll be rotated with Bender at DM) to be on top form every time they play to protect your centre backs as they'll get limited support to cover the channels, There is also an issue behind the centre backs as the keeper will not offer much in the way of support.

Saying that I do expect when it works it will work well & produce some stunning victories but I'd expect you to have just as many terrible performances.

Tactically are you not worried about counter attacks? I would be. You have two midfielders who will rarely be in their nominal central position which means that Bender & Goretzka (I assume he'll be rotated with Bender at DM) to be on top form every time they play to protect your centre backs as they'll get limited support to cover the channels, There is also an issue behind the centre backs as the keeper will not offer much in the way of support.

Saying that I do expect when it works it will work well & produce some stunning victories but I'd expect you to have just as many terrible performances.

It's unlikely I'll be purchasing Goretzka for the sheer fact I'd be drowning in centre mids. But not overly concerned with counters through the middle, just down the flanks as mentioned before. If I don't feel like the 2 CMs are contributing enough to the defensive phase I'll have to re-consider the roles. Last season I played with a midfield pairing of RPM and a mix of CMd/BBM and it worked fine. I think having the flexibility of more 'roaming' CMs allows them to find space better and in doing so turn defence into attack, but as you say there is potential for a counter exploit, but if it becomes an issue I'll look into it, but I'm not worried at this stage.

I just faced Arsenal away in the first league game of which we were hugely undeserved 1-0 winners. They hit the post twice and easily the better side, but just wasn't their day. They had approx. 30 attempts at crosses throughout the game with 9 being completed (does this include corners...?), which highlights where I am finding the biggest cause of concern. On another day we could have easily been punished by 4/5/6 goals. Our defence was decent though with Iorfa and Manolas making 37 interceptions between them, very busy days for them.

I'm still having a think about the front 3. Wilson on CFa seems decent but the second striker and AMC positions I'm undecided. I'm considering looking into a defensive forward role and the possibility of pulling the AMC back to CM (4-1-3-2). Suppose I'll just have to put some of the above into practice and see!

Corners & wide free kicks are not included in the cross count, it does appear that you know your potential weakness & are prepared to address them if needed.

More about the home grown rules than training training.

I poached a number of 15/16 year old sin the summer and obviously would like them to be trained as home grown at the club. However, their development is often served better out on loan. Does sending them out on loan affect the home grown at club status?

Also, is there a way that I can reduce the dirtiness rating of a player as my BWMs consistently pick up many more yellow cards than other players. There's no mention of having a competitive streak in the coach report.

Yes, they need to be training at your club to get HG-Club status, any time spent away on loan will not count.

As for your BWM you'll need to look for an appropriate senior player to tutor them & hope they pick up on their positive traits.

In my Spurs save, every goal we've conceded this season (literally every single one) has come from a right-sided attacking midfielder (or an AM cutting in on the right if there's only one). The thing that confuses me is that my left-sided defenders are nominally better than the right-sided ones. I'm using FB-A, BPD-D, BPD-D and FB-A across the back line with a DM and a roaming playmaker in front of them. The left is the RPM side. Does the RPM mean that I don't have enough defensive cover on the left side?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Possible as the RPM is given license to roam. That could leave you a little more exposed.

Hi, im trying to create fast, relatively direct tactic, with much movement...right now i set up the basic shape but I have some major issues. Even though pre-season is started one week ago, and decision attribute of whole of my team is awful, I noticed that the build-up play is too fast, its too rushed out, the ball often goes to lone striker after only 1,2 passes. The other problem is shooting from outside, too many low quality shots, this can be somewhat resolved by work ball into box instruction but if possible I want deeper reasons. Another thing thats in my mind is cm-s, is he too static?...im most satisfied with wide midfielders who are turned into deep inside forwards with get further forward, dribble more, run inside instructions.

http://prnt.sc/awvxhn

http://prnt.sc/awvwh4

Just after some quick glancing advice. Last season I finished 7th in my second season with Bournemouth playing a flat 4-4-2, it was decent, but not quite prolific. This Summer I had one of my best players bought at release clause (Zivkovic - £45m) and also my main striker (Milik - £14.5m). Coupled with the money I was already given I went a bit crazy and absolutely stockpiled on central midfield players, all of which will be expecting to feature as close to first team as possible. So with that in mind, I've had to re-jink my tactic and I've come up with a 4-4-2 narrow diamond (below).

mxbvUlk.png

So from the above you can kind of see my dilemma. I need to fit Wilshire, Romero, Bender, Bentancur and Arter (fyi awesome for me as RPM last season) into the squad, and I almost bought a transfer listed Goretzka too! Naturally rotation will need to occur, but I can't handle a mutiny early season for lack of game time. I also don't have any wingers of note to use (still have about £70m to spend should I need to and I think I may look to bring in another striker).

Looking at the screenshot, does that basic diamond look sensible? My biggest concerns, naturally, is having enough width in attack and also to effectively defend the flanks especially when it comes to opposition winger/fullback double team. I also worry about the roles of the entire front 3 (may look to change the CFs into a DLF or F9).

In theory I want to apply high pressure from the front and in the midfield to win back early, then remain somewhat composed on the ball while we look for our openings (I may remove higher tempo from team instructions, may see how it plays for a few games). Only PI I have are for the fullbacks to stay wide and for DMd to close down much less as I think him keeping shape in defence will be crucial - moreso than those above him anyway.

From the SS you can see I also have/had a 4321 (Christmas tree style), but this is an absolute nightmare when it comes to defending the flanks, the lack of a DM seemed detrimental - and dropping a midfield to DM made the formation look, well, weird (and even more narrow).

Cheers.

i'd tell your team to close down opp full back every match, as i do i play 5-1-2-2 so only one set on wings and i think it's important when there's no direct opposition.

They were probably right, AML/R with attack duties suggest that they will often have been left exposed on the flanks, to achieve a system with an attacking emphasis while protecting your defence from counter attacks you are going to have to consider dropping players back to your midfield line & using TIs & PIs to then add attacking intent when in possession.

Thanks for the reply Barside, I appreciate it. I did mostly some situational changes, keeping the positions as they were. The most relevant was changing the BBM to AP(S). It has been doing fine though. Right now I'm experiment with different role combinations on the midfield.

I have another question though. How can one distinguish, while looking through a match, if a given turnover in possession was caused by the role, positioning, bad decisions, bad anticipation or bad off the ball of a player? I did some screenshots from a play, it's somewhat recurrent, but not specific of a given player, it's just an example (available here, on imgur). My left fullback applies pressure to the opposing winger, he tries to pass to the striker but the pass is intercepted by my box-to-box midfielder. He plays the ball to my left inside forward who dribbles a litte and plays a pass to the middle of the field, to the right striker, a trequartista. Instead of receiving the pass, he starts to move forward, and the ball is intercepted by the opposition central defender. The player in question - Ari, has 15 anticipation, 15 decisions, but 12 off the ball.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Maybe if the trequartista was a false 9 instead, the play would be successful? Or maybe with a fluid shape? Maybe if the trequartista was on the AMC slot? PI instructions? Where should I look and why?

Hey, stopped playing FM for about two versions. Has the option to adjust your home pitch size been removed from this version? I am just curious because I holidayed most of my preseason.

In the EPL, you don't get that option because it is mandatory that the pitch has the same size. Other leagues? Yes

Thanks for the reply Barside, I appreciate it. I did mostly some situational changes, keeping the positions as they were. The most relevant was changing the BBM to AP(S). It has been doing fine though. Right now I'm experiment with different role combinations on the midfield.

I have another question though. How can one distinguish, while looking through a match, if a given turnover in possession was caused by the role, positioning, bad decisions, bad anticipation or bad off the ball of a player? I did some screenshots from a play, it's somewhat recurrent, but not specific of a given player, it's just an example (available here, on imgur). My left fullback applies pressure to the opposing winger, he tries to pass to the striker but the pass is intercepted by my box-to-box midfielder. He plays the ball to my left inside forward who dribbles a litte and plays a pass to the middle of the field, to the right striker, a trequartista. Instead of receiving the pass, he starts to move forward, and the ball is intercepted by the opposition central defender. The player in question - Ari, has 15 anticipation, 15 decisions, but 12 off the ball.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Maybe if the trequartista was a false 9 instead, the play would be successful? Or maybe with a fluid shape? Maybe if the trequartista was on the AMC slot? PI instructions? Where should I look and why?

You're probably over thinking about the mistake, in this case I'd expect that the simple answer of a poor or under hit pass is the most likely one.

Hi,

This is FM15.

How should I train players who are fully developed? I've downloaded an editor to check, and the players in question have no PA left. My team's general training is on Balanced and lowest intensity. With the players in question, I'm not really sure what to do. With some of them, I assign a free skill (like free kicks), with others I keep training them in their role and with some I just give them no individual focus at all.

The problem is that frequently they get red arrows all over the place. It annoys me. Some even lose one or two full values on certain skills, while still retaining their CA. So is what's happening that their CA gets assigned to other skills? I don't want that. I just want them to remain as they are.

So what should I do?

Hi,

This is FM15.

How should I train players who are fully developed? I've downloaded an editor to check, and the players in question have no PA left. My team's general training is on Balanced and lowest intensity. With the players in question, I'm not really sure what to do. With some of them, I assign a free skill (like free kicks), with others I keep training them in their role and with some I just give them no individual focus at all.

The problem is that frequently they get red arrows all over the place. It annoys me. Some even lose one or two full values on certain skills, while still retaining their CA. So is what's happening that their CA gets assigned to other skills? I don't want that. I just want them to remain as they are.

So what should I do?

If you are losing a full point or two, then yes, they are getting redistributed based on the training schedule. The best solution I have found with this is average training and focus on the role that best suits what you want from them- not necessarily the role they play for you. This way, the attributes that matter most to you will stay maxed out. Personally, when a player hit 28 or so, I drop the individual focus *unless* I am trying to redistribute some points (which doesn't always work). And just to make you feel a bit better, if the skills are showing red arrows, but only dropping a tenth or two, then that is normal and nothing to be concerned about. If often happens over the course of a season- same with the masses of green that appear from time to time. Its only when, as you've noticed, that they drop a a significant amount that you should look to adjust the training.

Also, and this is probably something you know, but be sure the players aren't coming off a lengthy injury :)

If you are losing a full point or two, then yes, they are getting redistributed based on the training schedule. The best solution I have found with this is average training and focus on the role that best suits what you want from them- not necessarily the role they play for you. This way, the attributes that matter most to you will stay maxed out. Personally, when a player hit 28 or so, I drop the individual focus *unless* I am trying to redistribute some points (which doesn't always work). And just to make you feel a bit better, if the skills are showing red arrows, but only dropping a tenth or two, then that is normal and nothing to be concerned about. If often happens over the course of a season- same with the masses of green that appear from time to time. Its only when, as you've noticed, that they drop a a significant amount that you should look to adjust the training.

Also, and this is probably something you know, but be sure the players aren't coming off a lengthy injury :)

does the current FM16 work work like that when it comes to PA? people running out of it etc?

while role in central midfield (center circle midfielder not attacking) do people think scores the most goals in general?

i'm really not sure maybe just center mid (att) could be b2b?

what do you lot think?

Your simplifying it too much, it depends on your teams style, the movement patterns and type of chances created.

A Poacher in theory is focused on scoring, but might not score as much as a different role depending on your teams style & the roles around him.

does the current FM16 work work like that when it comes to PA? people running out of it etc?

FM does and always has worked this way- once a player reaches his potential, he can no longer improve. You can still train and shape attributes past that point, but no more overall improvement.

If I´m correct the width setting in team instructions sets the with in the attacking phase?

How do I set my defensive width? I know it's not possible, but I want my full backs to sit very narrow. At this moment they are leaving quite a bit of space between themselves and the centre back for opponent wingers to cut into. Does the role my fullback has also have impact on the defensive side for him? I see a lot of trough balls between my left full back and left centre back, and my left full back plays as a attacking full back (attack). Does this role adds more defensive width as compared to a fullback on defend duty?

If I´m correct the width setting in team instructions sets the with in the attacking phase?

How do I set my defensive width? I know it's not possible, but I want my full backs to sit very narrow. At this moment they are leaving quite a bit of space between themselves and the centre back for opponent wingers to cut into. Does the role my fullback has also have impact on the defensive side for him? I see a lot of trough balls between my left full back and left centre back, and my left full back plays as a attacking full back (attack). Does this role adds more defensive width as compared to a fullback on defend duty?

Width is with the ball, defensively width is governed by your formation, shape, and mentality. The narrowest you will see is a defensive or contain mentality and one of the fluid mentalities. Other than that, the fullbacks don't really tuck in in this ME. Even with a defend duty, they will not play narrower, really, but just not be as adventurous going forward and will default to deeper stating point. When deeper, they will be better able to get across and pick up their man. With an attacking back, that is one of the risks, right? He will leave space based on how you have set him up- it's the tradeoff.

The other element that helps is to have a solid midfield screen in front. If you have a CM or DM that can disrupt attacking patterns, this allows your FBs to get back into position.

Currently managing Brackley Town in first season. After a strong start to the season alternating between a fairly simple 4-4-2 and a more counter attack based 4-1-4-1, we're now playing pretty badly. We are near the bottom of the league on the team comparison page for work rate, determination, leadership, decision making and aggression. Neither of my tactics or anything else I've tried have asked the players to do anything complicated, but with the obvious glaring issues in the side that aren't easily rectified at this level, would the correct approach perhaps be to just play simple, long ball football and cut out the middle man, so to speak? Trying to play any sort of passing game hasn't really worked and seems counter-intuitive considering our poor decision makers we have right now, many of whom just can't really be bothered anyway. This is an interesting challenge as even managing some of the worst teams in the game, they normally still excel in a couple of areas. This squad I have right now have many weaknesses and no particular strengths.

can someone explain why a certain player seems not to be able to tutor anyone? it's not his rep as a player with the same rep points can so i can't work what the reason could be?

and do you know how long you have to wait before a player can tutor again as i've waited a few months now and it still just says he's just finished tutoring someone?

some of my players are saying they feel the individual training focus i've put them on will have no benefit, (often jumping) does this mean with any certainty that that attribute is not gonna improve for a while?

or is it just the players moaning?

Hello everyone,

My team has poor decision rating (18th in the legue), should i take it into account, when choosing mentality? Or in counter and control requirements to decision attribute are the same?

Thanks in advance.