Main Attributes for captain?

CrD

Influence and Determination are important, but so is professionalism and pressure-handling.

That means looking for personalities like Resilient, Resolute and Spirited. Either Evasive or Unflappable media-handling types are also a must.

i made a 26 year old amazing midfielder who has high influence and personality is 'leader' captain. Everything seemed perfect, hes been at the club years. Yet the assistant always reports that the team struggle to motivate with him captain. I am confused?

i made a 26 year old amazing midfielder who has high influence and personality is 'leader' captain. Everything seemed perfect, hes been at the club years. Yet the assistant always reports that the team struggle to motivate with him captain. I am confused?

Where does he rate on the drop down captain list in tactics? (assuming it is in FM11)

Influence, and that's about it. I prefer someone who's a defender (I find they make the best captains) and someone who's a native of the nation in which my team is located.

The thing to remember about Influence is that it's a neutral attribute. It can be both good and bad depending on the overall personality of the player. There are a few players (Darijo Srna, for example) with extremely high influence and problematic mental attributes that, even if they're not given the captaincy, can have a detrimental effect on team motivation.

Either his reputation is much lower than theirs, or he has had problems with tutoring, or he causes trouble in the dressing room (low temperament, high controversy?).

Influence and teamwork think i read that in the manual somewhere back in the day. Determination would be a good idea. Wouldn't choose anyone under 23ish and they would preferably have been at the club for at least 6 months.

I don't think the perfect personality is necessary for captains, they need to be able to pull the other guys into line sometimes. Just look at Roy Keane.

Another thing that could be happening is your captains personality isn't meshing with the squads personality.

The position of your captain is also important. If you want score more goals, choose a captain striker. Take care of teamwork attribute but the most helpful thing to choose a captain, look at the favorite player of your squad and if "think has a good influence" is mentionned.

The should have a few friends in the squad, nobody they don't really get on with, and high influence and determination. I think it helps if they're the sort of player who wins matches, as players tend to like the guy who scored four goals in a crucial game or won MOTM three times in a row.

The should have a few friends in the squad, nobody they don't really get on with, and high influence and determination. I think it helps if they're the sort of player who wins matches, as players tend to like the guy who scored four goals in a crucial game or won MOTM three times in a row.

Ok... so explain this one...

2s7gxas.png

2mchemw.png

Whether they like it or not, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to change Barcelona's captain... :p

Erm... bug! ;)

(Just to clarify, this is a joke, although I may well be right).

I thought the same... it seems odd that lifelong Barca players would find it difficult to motivate themselves for Puyol, himself a lifelong Barca player and a club icon... Mr. Barcelona I've heard some commentators call him... and Bojan and Iniesta can't motivate themselves for him... complete tosh! :p

I personally look for Influence & Determination as the main attributes for captains. Then I look to see what they are thought of by other players in the player personality tab. I don't go purely for the Influence & Determination because I have some players that are high in these but are new to the club so the players don't know him yet so I don't think that would be a good idea. I usually try and weigh up who each player likes, plays well with, who enjoys playing with etc as well AS Influence & Determination.

The thing to remember about Influence is that it's a neutral attribute. It can be both good and bad depending on the overall personality of the player. There are a few players (Darijo Srna, for example) with extremely high influence and problematic mental attributes that, even if they're not given the captaincy, can have a detrimental effect on team motivation.

I did not know that, so thanks.

I always looked at influence and I've never had a problem with any of my captains. I've never had a squad revolt against my captain or anything. Squad harmony is usually just peachy. Maybe I've just been lucky, though, haha.

I did not know that, so thanks.

I always looked at influence and I've never had a problem with any of my captains. I've never had a squad revolt against my captain or anything. Squad harmony is usually just peachy. Maybe I've just been lucky, though, haha.

Normally, existing players with high influence are good captains because they are thought by someone with insight in the club and league to be an influential person.

The problem occurs after 5+ seasons when the random influence attribute allocation (it is not a weighted attribute) has been at work for a while.

Normally, existing players with high influence are good captains because they are thought by someone with insight in the club and league to be an influential person.

The problem occurs after 5+ seasons when the random influence attribute allocation (it is not a weighted attribute) has been at work for a while.

I think determination is more important than influence for a captain but I never tested the game with a captain having good influence but poor determination or teamwork for example.

I think determination is more important than influence for a captain but I never tested the game with a captain having good influence but poor determination or teamwork for example.

As has been stated above, Influence is merely how much the Captain's personality "rubs off" on other players. What rubs off is completely independent of the Influence attribute.

Consider the captain's Consistency, Will to win (Determination), Big Match, Loyalty (For the Fans) and Pressure attributes as giving a sort of weighted bonus to the rest of the team. Influence determines the size of that bonus. If the bonus is negative then a high Influence attribute will make that negative number bigger, damaging the team even more.

So whatever the motivation bar is saying the captain is in a game, that is what he will impose on the other 10 guys.

As has been stated above, Influence is merely how much the Captain's personality "rubs off" on other players. What rubs off is completely independent of the Influence attribute.

Consider the captain's Consistency, Will to win (Determination), Big Match, Loyalty (For the Fans) and Pressure attributes as giving a sort of weighted bonus to the rest of the team. Influence determines the size of that bonus. If the bonus is negative then a high Influence attribute will make that negative number bigger, damaging the team even more.

So whatever the motivation bar is saying the captain is in a game, that is what he will impose on the other 10 guys.

It's surely hard-coded like that and it's interessting to know the influence bonus concern also attributes like bravery, composure or concentration by captain ratings. I think hard code of SI is realistic in that case because reminds me for example Zidane in real life when he was captain of France 2006 and talked on the field to Gallas to attack and press more whereas Gallas and Thuram disagree and wanted defend lower.

Influance is important, but you need to consider that if his other attributes are bad, the greater influance will have a greater negative effect...

I go for all the things mentioned above and add aggression, sportsmanship, and dirtiness. I've noticed that frequently-carded captians lead to more cards for the entire team...Aggression can't be too high or too low. For me, a range of 9-13 is needed.

Another point, reputation is also important for a captain. In my party, I had Gabriel Milito who is in my club since a lot of years, regulary titular and had huge determination and influence attributes but the majority of my players think Kun Aguero (much younger, lower influence and came later than Milito) has better influence. The real difference between them was the reputation (national for Milito, continental for Aguero).

• 3 years later...

Regarding this topic, I need an advice:

I have an experienced older player, (36 years old), with somewhat higher determination (14), but I just recently signed him.

He has a 12 leadership value.

On the other hand, I have a younger player, (29), with a bit lower determination, (10), but with long career history playing for my team.

He also has a bit higher leadership than the older one. (14)

Which one of those 2 is more suitable to the vice captain role? (I already have a 38 years old captain)

So. the newly joined, experienced 36 y.o. with ldr. 12 and det. 14, or the 29 y.o. long time team member, with ldr. 10 and det. 14?

I cannot rely on my staff's opinion in this matter, since their choice is a 18 years "old" young player with much weaker both ldr. and det. stats, so I have no intention to follow their advice this time.

Archived