Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More worried than ever about Ayre now after a bit more digging around about his Huddersfield days. If he couldn't run a club of that size properly why have the owners left him in charge?

it was telling that on one of their forums they all have a go about him selling off their best players and replacing them with inferior ones. One even said something along the lines of Torres will be at Chelsea or utd within 6 months and he was!

Why Louis van Gaal Would Be a Good Choice for the Sporting Director Role

http://elitedevelopmentblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/why-louis-van-gaal-would-be-good-choice.html

Since Louis van Gaal was linked with the Sporting Directors role at Liverpool in this morning’s newspapers, fans and pundits have mostly taken to the news with disapproval... [Click Link For More]

More worried than ever about Ayre now after a bit more digging around about his Huddersfield days. If he couldn't run a club of that size properly why have the owners left him in charge?

it was telling that on one of their forums they all have a go about him selling off their best players and replacing them with inferior ones. One even said something along the lines of Torres will be at Chelsea or utd within 6 months and he was!

I see the derpsmith had to take a hiatus to reload some new talking points

So gutted you said it twice. where in that link does it say Martinez looks like he'll get the job?

If it makes you feel better, a reporter from Wigan tweeted earlier saying that he spoke to Dave Whelan earlier this evening, he didn't really say much else apart from there will be an exclusive article about what was said on/in the website/newspaper he writes for tomorrow morning.

He also tweeted later on that if he was a betting man that he would put his money on Martinez going to Villa instead of Liverpool, but he's still hopeful he will stay at Wigan.

His twitter username is @PaulKendrickWIG if anyone wants to check him out.

Kopite going above and beyond now with Huddersfield ffs. :D

I don't particularly want LvG as a DoF/Sporting Director - far too abrasive and dominant personality, get the feeling the manager wouldn't have the freedom he needs. Was a massive **** at Bayern, hated by the players. Need someone who will just blend into the background, set the technical and coaching policy, and that's it. The manager should be the public face. Borrell, Segura or Begiristain for my money would be perfect.

In such an important phase for the club, why on earth would we be looking to bring in a manager who has no experinece at high level, and no matter how anybody dresses it up, would be a big gamble. Why not bring in an experienced and established manager who's been there and done it?

I wonder what sort of players Martinez would attract.

I think Martinez is our manager we won't get top 4 next season. I think he could be a good appointment looooong term though.

I can't see any manager getting us into the top 4 next season unless there are major changes to the playing personnel.

Martinez is a gamble, but I'd be fine with it. If Rafa weren't available.

But Rafa is available though, not sure why the owners wouldn't go for the best man for the job. His family is very settled in the area, he loves the club, wants his next job to be in England, CL winner, can easily get top 4. It really is a no brainer.

I can't see any manager getting us into the top 4 next season unless there are major changes to the playing personnel.

Exactly, it's an unrealistic expectation to be top 4 next season anyway.

But Rafa is available though, not sure why the owners wouldn't go for the best man for the job. His family is very settled in the area, he loves the club, wants his next job to be in England, CL winner, can easily get top 4. It really is a no brainer.

Like he did in his 1st season last time round? Oh, that's right we came 5th when there were really only 3 strong teams in the league.

Like he did in his 1st season last time round? Oh, that's right we came 5th when there were really only 3 strong teams in the league.

I'm not saying this season. I'm saying that he would get us in there regularaly with the funding currently available. I've said if you look at my posts I'd take 6th this season happily.

And lets overlook a league cup final and CL win in that first season too?

I am more making the point that Rafa may not be the instant success some may expect. Not that he isn't capable. We aren't going to waltz in there though, like in the past. Top 4 was almost ours by default for a decade, but other teams have come to the table now and we have regressed. It's not quite the same as it was 7 years ago.

I am more making the point that Rafa may not be the instant success some may expect. Not that he isn't capable. We aren't going to waltz in there though, like in the past. Top 4 was almost ours by default for a decade, but other teams have come to the table now and we have regressed. It's not quite the same as it was 7 years ago.

I think the real question here is who do we think has the best chance of success. None of these managers are bad managers in their own right, but when comparitively assessed, certain managers do offer a greater likelihood of success.

I think if the Rafa boat was coming into port it would have done so already. He probably just doesn't fit the structure. People need to open their minds a little instead of assuming Rafa and nobody else. Top4 next season is a bit of an excessive expectation right now.

What Inspidus said, I don't like to look back as it's hard not to do so with rose-tinted glasses.

Van Gaal/Martinez could work if that's what we are looking at. I'll give it a chance.

Speaking for myself, Im not solely interested in Rafa, but I do feel an experienced manager is needed at this point in time.

What's experience though? Martinez has been managing for five years now, and managers with greater trophies won probably want more control than the board are willing to give. I'll say this - I don't think Martinez will have issues with pressure. Think he's had enough of that at the arse end of the table.

Only way I can see things working as they stand, is if they have the same sort of structure as they do in that film Moneyball; which was based on a true story. The DoF (Van Gaal or Txixi) and the higher up men run the club and the manager is basically there to give the instructions the top men want; with their players. John Henry (character) was in that as well at the end, wasn't he? Heh.

Liverpool FC today announced that Jen Chang will take up the position as the Club's Corporate Relations and Communications Director.

He will take up his new position on Monday 11th June 2012 and will be based in Liverpool.

Chang joins Liverpool from Sports Illustrated where he was the Senior Editor for football-related content at SI.com in New York. Previously at ESPN, he was responsible for the day to day content and strategic direction of ESPN.com's football section. Prior to working in media, Chang also had extensive experience in the finance sector working for investment banking and private equity firms.

Jen grew up in England and attended the University of London (Queen Mary). He also has graduate degrees from both Cambridge University (Queens' College) and the London School of Economics.

Ian Ayre, Managing Director said: "Jen brings a depth and range of valuable international communications experience gained over the past 15 years and we are delighted to welcome him to Liverpool. Jen will join the Club's Executive Management Team and play a key role in supporting Liverpool as we optimize the LFC brand on a global scale."

Jen Chang added: "I'm privileged to be offered the opportunity to join the Communications Department at LFC, a Club with an unparalleled tradition and heritage. I've been impressed by the vision outlined by the Fenway Sports Group and am honoured to be part of the process as the Club moves forward."

Liverpool FC today announced that Billy Hogan has been named Chief Commercial Officer.

In this position, Hogan will work closely with Liverpool's Managing Director Ian Ayre and be responsible for all club-controlled revenue and business development, including sponsorships, ticketing and hospitality, retail and merchandise, club memberships, club tours and friendlies as well as Liverpool FC's Soccer Schools.

Prior to joining Liverpool FC, Billy served as Managing Director for Fenway Sports Management (FSM) with responsibility for the company's day-to-day business operations and strategic growth. FSM is the global sponsorship sales arm of Fenway Sports Group, whose properties include Liverpool Football Club, the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network (NESN) and Roush Fenway Racing.

Hogan's responsibilities at FSM consisted of securing high-level sponsorships for the Boston Red Sox including assisting in the development of an impressive client roster of leading national brands, such as LeBron James/LRMR Marketing & Branding, Boston College Athletics, and PGA TOUR Playoff event the Deutsche Bank Championship. Hogan also oversaw all online sales activities for Major League Baseball Advanced Media, the online and interactive media division of MLB.com and MLB's 30 individual club websites.

Ian Ayre, Managing Director, said: "The role of Chief Commercial Officer is a key role for the Club as we continue to grow our commercial activity on a global basis and we were keen to appoint the right candidate who will be able to take the Club to the next level of its development. Having worked at a senior level within Fenway Sports Management, Billy has been working alongside LFC for the last 18 months on a number of partnership projects and brings with him a rich pedigree of expertise and resource. In many respects this appointment reflects the great spirit of partnership between all of the Fenway Sports Group and LFC."

In his first year with FSM, Hogan oversaw sponsorship sales for its first client, Boston College Athletics, tripling the Eagles' revenue, inked a major deal with CVS/pharmacy for Green Monster signage at Fenway Park and secured a multi-year/multi-property sponsorship agreement with Waste Management.

While at FSM, Hogan also directed many other notable initiatives including conceiving and executing Football at Fenway, a historic soccer match at Boston's Fenway Park featuring perennial Scottish Premier League contender Celtic Football Club and the Sporting Clube de Portugal; the Winter Classic, the National Hockey League's storied outdoor tradition, held at Fenway Park on January 1, 2010; and Sun Life Frozen Fenway, the first-ever outdoor college hockey doubleheader.

In January 2012, Hogan secured the second annual Sun Life Frozen Fenway, a 16-day ice hockey event featuring a number of college, high school and community hockey games as well as two free community skate days. Most recently, Billy played a key role in helping to establish the Warrior kit deal for Liverpool, and helped coordinate its upcoming North America summer tour.

"I've had the privilege of working alongside Ian and Liverpool's talented executive team for more than a year, and it's truly an honor for me to now lead the business development efforts for the most successful club in English football history," said Hogan. "I've witnessed firsthand the passion and loyalty that fans have for this club and I look forward to working with the staff, partners and future sponsors to grow and develop Liverpool's brand and commercial presence globally to help ensure the long-term growth of this storied club."

Hogan joined FSM in 20**04 as the company's first official hire after two years as Director of Sponsorship Sales at ANC Sports. Prior to that, he served as Director of Film Distribution at Giant Screen Films. At Giant, he was responsible for the widest distribution of any film in the company's history when he successfully marketed "Michael Jordan to the Max" to more than 75 percent of IMAX Theaters Worldwide.

There we go, Chang comfirmed.

Martinez in Miami now with the owners. Could think of worse places to go for a job interview!

Think it will definitely be Martinez now. His name has never really gone away from the speculation. AVB rumours seem to have dropped off too.

Seems like thing's are finaly falling into place with the new appointments..

As for a new manager i am happy with Martinez, he will certainlyu play a good attractive style of play and he knows the English game. if he can get confidence into the players and getting Carrol to play at his best with a couple of shrude signings i think we will be 10 times better than last season....

If Big Andy has a good Euro tourny it will help him at Liverpool next season..

Interesting comments from Whelan:

Whelan has urged the Spaniard to think carefully about the job at Liverpool, as he believes the new manager will have little say in the transfer market. The Spaniard has also been linked with taking over at Aston Villa, the club he turned down last year, but would prefer to take up a role at Anfield.

Whelan said: "My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department. There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

"My advice to Roberto is to think very carefully about this, but Liverpool are a big club and I hope that they remain one of the big clubs.

"But I have to say from what I am hearing the new Liverpool set up on the football side goes well beyond the norm even with a director of football."

I hope if Martinez is the choice a highly experience DOF is in place above him. We will need somebody with experience of winning leagues and managing in European competition. I do think Martinez will be a good manager, I also feel though that it is still too soon for this job for him.

If the owners give him an experienced DOF to learn from and give him the time to learn it could be a good appointment in the long term. I will back him completely if appointed but I do feel we could have gone for a better candidate.

in terms of having someone above him signing players at least if they fail he wont be on the Managers head, i think what FSG are trying to do is be very shrude and only buy players that will benifit Liverpool.

This goes back to the first day they were appointed, they want to buy players with a good resale value, when they feel there time at Liverpool is up, they want to walk away with a big fat profit.. they are not pumping money into the club for fun like Chelsea and Man City..

in terms of having someone above him signing players at least if they fail he wont be on the Managers head' date=' i think what FSG are trying to do is be very shrude and only buy players that will benifit Liverpool.

This goes back to the first day they were appointed, they want to buy players with a good resale value, when they feel there time at Liverpool is up, they want to walk away with a big fat profit.. they are not pumping money into the club for fun like Chelsea and Man City..[/quote']

Can this system work though if true? I suppose in theory if you have a truly world class DOF who can see the weaknesses in the squad and a yes man as manager it could do. Strange to say the least though.

Can this system work though if true? I suppose in theory if you have a truly world class DOF who can see the weaknesses in the squad and a yes man as manager it could do. Strange to say the least though.

Does it work? i havn't got a clue!?.. FSG for what ever reason think Liverpool needs one? wasnt Grant Director of football at Chelsea once.? that didn't work!!??

I guess in reality, if a manager of a Prem team cant identify his own players should he really have the job,? if not all he is is a head coach? Personaly i dont think any team needs a Director of Football..

It could work, in reality it's like a double act, one sorts the transfers and other stuff whilst one trains and does all the tactics and picks the team etc..

regaurdless of who gets the job, what happens if liverpool have another rubbish season and finish 7th/8th again next year? what then.?

Does it work? i havn't got a clue!?.. FSG for what ever reason think Liverpool needs one? wasnt Grant Director of football at Chelsea once.? that didn't work!!??

I guess in reality' date=' if a manager of a Prem team cant identify his own players should he really have the job,? if not all he is is a head coach? Personaly i dont think any team needs a Director of Football..

It could work, in reality it's like a double act, one sorts the transfers and other stuff whilst one trains and does all the tactics and picks the team etc..

regaurdless of who gets the job, what happens if liverpool have another rubbish season and finish 7th/8th again next year? what then.?[/quote']

Well Martinez would have to say, I raised this point when Dalglish was sacked. We can't just keep sacking managers for one bad season. We need continuity, I feel Dalglish should have had at least one more season for that reason.

If this appointment fails what will be the owners next move because so far their appointments haven't worked out as they had planned.

So with these appointments it kinda makes the sos letter look even worse really, just let the guys get on with their jobs.

I don't think it does. I wanted to know answers to a lot of questions too. I thought that before the SOS sent that letter. After H&G it's understandable that fans are more wary. There is also the fact that Dalglsih, Comolli etc will have been paid off. Now Martinez if he is to be appointed will have to be bought out of a contract. What happens if these appointments fail? Will they be sacked and waste more money? I'm willing to give the owners a chance, and I'm glad that appointments have now been made. But it doesn't stop me being slightly worried about them which I am. I really hope they have made the correct appointments and will do so with the next few. But we will only know the answer to that at the end of next season.

Archived