The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Apparently, Spurs are making an offer for Jamaal Lascelles, a player with 90 minutes in the Forest first team, and a dozen or so first team appearances at Stevenage...

If we sold Bamford for £1.5m on the back of 10 minutes first team football, then we should get at least £13 million for him ;)

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Certainly come as a surprise that one. He's barely played in the last 2 years.

Must be a peanuts contract as even a 2 year deal is a huge risk.

If he stays fit, it's a good signing tbf. If it's a cheap contract then it's worth the risk, imo.

If he stays fit, it's a good signing tbf. If it's a cheap contract then it's worth the risk, imo.

Oh yeah, if he does stay fit then we've got ourselves a very good keeper for this level. Can't see a big contract being dished out on someone who's managed only a handful of games over the last couple of years.

Wonder if we'll still be interested in Heaton after all then (if we were in for him in the first place). Weaver will probably retire and Bywater's contract is up.

Apparently, Spurs are making an offer for Jamaal Lascelles, a player with 90 minutes in the Forest first team, and a dozen or so first team appearances at Stevenage...

If we sold Bamford for £1.5m on the back of 10 minutes first team football, then we should get at least £13 million for him ;)

They aren't Arsenal and we aren't Southampton :(.

The initial Gareth Bale deal to Spurs was around £10m (went down when Saints cashed in on the clauses early due to money problems). Though tbf even if they paid £10m it would have been a bargain for them.

Yeah, I can't say I'm too concerned about the Chris McCann thing. If Swansea do buy him, then £2m is a good price. If they don't, I just hope he can recover something approaching the form he showed prior to this injury. The one that worries me is Trippier. If we sell him, it would cost a fortune to find an equivalent replacement. We would almost certainly end up with a downgrade in that position.

Yeah, I'd be absolutely gutted if Trippier was sold.

I don't think Howe has any intentions of letting him go though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17897816

Burnley manager Eddie Howe has predicted a bright future for young full-back Kieran Trippier, who has been named the club's player of the year.

The 21-year-old started all 46 games of the Championship campaign for the Clarets, scoring three goals.

Howe told BBC Radio Lancashire: "He's a great prospect and a terrific talent.

"He's had an outstanding season. You look at his performances now, compared to when he first came in, and there's been a big improvement."

Trippier joined Burnley last summer on an initial season-long loan from Manchester City and made the move permanent in January.

But he was unable to help the club into the race for a play-off spot, as Howe's men finished 13th in the Championship table.

Though, you never know with Burnley. I bet Howe had no intentions of letting our first choice left back go last season.

Oh yeah, if he does stay fit then we've got ourselves a very good keeper for this level. Can't see a big contract being dished out on someone who's managed only a handful of games over the last couple of years.

Wonder if we'll still be interested in Heaton after all then (if we were in for him in the first place). Weaver will probably retire and Bywater's contract is up.

Great keeper, before all the problems with his back.

If you keep him fit, and playing regulary (something he hadn't done before his loans to Leicester and Donny) he should be a top keeper.

Heard you have also signed Jason Koumas aswell? He's hardly played any games recently either, somebody posted on another forum. that he's only had 20 starts in last four years (not sure how accurate that is)

Nice to see you giving these players a chance, although, I heard it was only a pay as play deal for Koumas.

Not sure how good he is now, but I used to rate him highly at this level.

Great keeper, before all the problems with his back.

If you keep him fit, and playing regulary (something he hadn't done before his loans to Leicester and Donny) he should be a top keeper.

Heard you have also signed Jason Koumas aswell? He's hardly played any games recently either, somebody posted on another forum. that he's only had 20 starts in last four years (not sure how accurate that is)

Nice to see you giving these players a chance, although, I heard it was only a pay as play deal for Koumas.

Not sure how good he is now, but I used to rate him highly at this level.

DJ has said Koumas has been training with us to assess his fitness but that no offer has been formally made. If it turns out that he's fit enough a pay as you play is pretty low risk. I'm skeptical over whether he has the fitness and/or desire to come back after more than a year out though.

• SI Staff

I'm not sure I agree with Wednesday signing injury-prone used-to-be-goods like Kirkland and poss Koumas. Shouldn't they be looking at younger players with a possible resale value in future, with improvement in them etc?

It's not like they're going to be our only moves. Kieron Lee is expected to sign at some point.

Think its been confirmed but won't be announced formally until his Oldham deal expires in June.

As to Gripper's point, I think we'll get a decent balance. We've been too far down the inexperienced route with Irvine's signings which Megson had to redress at the start of the season.

DJ has said Koumas has been training with us to assess his fitness but that no offer has been formally made. If it turns out that he's fit enough a pay as you play is pretty low risk. I'm skeptical over whether he has the fitness and/or desire to come back after more than a year out though.

dj :D old and crocked players. he never learns

Yeah, why break recent tradition? ;)

It must be frustrating/dis-heartening to be a Pompey fan during the transfer windows.

Although, you have still snapped up a few players. (Lawrence/Kitson one window. Pearce/Benjani another window. etc)

Im just delighted that this is the 6th transfer window we still wont be competing properly in

Really? Pompey in administration in League One are still somehow capable of offering better deals than Championship clubs in good financial health...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/barnsley-concede-defeat-in-etuhu-race-1-3880397

Or perhaps hes shown a bit of loyalty? Appleton after all has him at the club since November and gave him a chance when no one else would?

Should Pompey be offering him and Futacs deals whilst in administration and beating Championship teams to them, or should they be letting them both go and using the academy products they already have at the club/released for a campaign in League One? That money saved could then pay the creditors.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9724225.Premier_League_new_boys_offer___6m_plus_for_Rodriguez/

Sounds a very nice offer to start the bidding off.. if true.

West Ham are apparently after Rodriguez aswell now, and they are not shy about throwing money around. :)

Even though, it says they are not likely to spend more than £5 million on him... I'll wait and see with West Ham. (also, Cardiff's offer sounded like it was just a rumour.)

SOUTHAMPTON have raised the stakes in the race to sign Jay Rodriguez after launching a bid in excess of £6m for the Burnley hot shot.

The Premier League newcomers had an estimated £5m bid for the in-demand striker turned down last summer but have returned meaning business this time round.

Burnley are yet to respond to the bid as the interest in the striker hots up.

Former Blackburn Rovers boss Sam Allardyce is also understood to be eyeing Rodriguez as he prepares to take West Ham United back into the Premier League after winning the Championship play offs.

Allardyce was in talks with Hammers co-owner David Sullivan about budgets and targets hours after beating Blackpool in the Wembley final last weekend.

Southampton’s bid though is likely to leave the Hammers’ interest dead in the water with Allardyce understood to be ready to spend no more than £5m on him.

Clarets' top scorer Rodriguez has been linked with a host of top flight teams, including fellow Premier League newcomers Reading and Fulham.

Burnley’s Championship rivals Cardiff City were yesterday said to have put in a £5.5m bid for Rodriguez, although the club has not received a firm offer from the Welsh club.

However, even if Cardiff were to confirm their interest with an official approach it is unlikely to be enough to entice Rodriguez.

Should Pompey be offering him and Futacs deals whilst in administration and beating Championship teams to them, or should they be letting them both go and using the academy products they already have at the club/released for a campaign in League One? That money saved could then pay the creditors.

I can use that argument too. Shouldnt the £1m you paid for Lambert not gone to Aviva and their shareholders?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9724225.Premier_League_new_boys_offer___6m_plus_for_Rodriguez/

Sounds a very nice offer to start the bidding off.. if true.

West Ham are apparently after Rodriguez aswell now, and they are not shy about throwing money around. :)

Even though, it says they are not likely to spend more than £5 million on him... I'll wait and see with West Ham. (also, Cardiff's offer sounded like it was just a rumour.)

The Burnley press officer denied it on Twitter, the Saints press officer then retweeted the Burnley press officer.

The Burnley press officer denied it on Twitter, the Saints press officer then retweeted the Burnley press officer.

Thanks.

Crazy this time of year, so many bs stories. I should have known anyway, as Southampton are not interested in Jay Rod anymore, and are after Hooper.

I can use that argument too. Shouldnt the £1m you paid for Lambert not gone to Aviva and their shareholders?

You can, but you'd be wrong to do so as the situations are entirely different...

Were Saints or their parent company in administration when they signed Lambert? No

Were Pompey in administration (and yet to decide a second CVA in two years) when they offered contracts to Futacs and Etuhu? Yes

Have Southampton ever had a CVA? No

Were all debts at Saints settled with the creditors? Yes

Have Pompey settled all of their debts? No

Do Pompey have a failed CVA from 2010 that they intend to further dilute with a new 2012 CVA? Yes

Apparently we'll be making an official bid for Rodriguez tomorrow.

Dave Jones signing Kirkland(was meant to sign for us as well :D )

Koumas :D

Naylor, Keinan, Chopra, Bothroyd, Heaton, Quinn, Taiwo will probably all follow, you will improve but fail inevitably.

Classic DJ signings.

Bywater, new contract :D

Mate I feel for you, Heaton is sooo much better than Bywater and probably Kirkland, sorry, looking forward to his return though. He will find you some gems I'm sure but will probably knowing DJ sign many more plonkers and upset the media, I'd really like to see him do well though!

There is a big question mark over Bywater as he barely got tested in the majority of matches this season, so perhaps DJ will still want Heaton.

Milan has stated he wants younger players that are an investment, so I don't see us signing a bucket load of veterans. We're building a team though, so IF Koumas proves his fitness then having someone like that as part of the squad as a whole wouldn't be a bad thing.

Koumas has real talent, wanted him to do so well and if, a massive if he can get fit and play consistently he'd be awesome e.e 2 goals in the final few minutes against Doncaster to turn the game around. His determination is the real issue, but DJ can get the best out of players with ego's etc Chopra, Bothroyd etc!

Im just delighted that this is the 6th transfer window we still wont be competing properly in

Last time I checked you were one of the biggest spenders last summer. You even bragged about it and all but nothing like a bit of revisionist history eh?

It looks like we're in for Scott Malone of bournemouth who apparently seems pretty good. the rumored fee is £200k plus Josh McQuoid (who we bought from them 18 months ago for £500k) so that is a lot for us.

Also looks like we might be signing Chris Taylor from Oldham on a free, i've always liked him and he always played brilliant against us. i'm surprised he hasn't moved on already though!

Archived