LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

Wow, you're one of the more optimistic fans. It must have absolutely no chance of happening now, I'd have expected sy to tell me that we're not good enough for him but not you. :(

@Birdport of course.

ha :( I can't see him jumping straight over to us though - it's very rare that established players move from one rival club to another at the upper-end of the Premier League. Yossi Benayoun wasn't anywhere near as important a player for Chelsea as Sturridge is now. Besides, we're going to get Hazard in the summer anyway. ;)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Profit is the revenue after costs.

Which is true but also is a valid point only if Wenger was speaking there as an accountant to another accountant. It wasn't part of some legal process, was it?

Maybe he was saying he needs to make x profit in A area to aid D area which by definition provides no profits or z loses? Or maybe he just meant his contract guarantees him a bonus if he makes x profit and the term 'profit' is defined precisely in his contract and we will never get to know what the definition is?

It will always be taken out of context, translated wrongly just to allow to get a headline. Unless someone shows a video of him saying things like we can only spend what we get for sold players minus 20M it is all total ******** just like you dj saying we should pray Spurs beat Liverpool yesterday.

Which is true but also is a valid point only if Wenger was speaking there as an accountant to another accountant. It wasn't part of some legal process, was it?

Maybe he was saying he needs to make x profit in A area to aid D area which by definition provides no profits or z loses? Or maybe he just meant his contract guarantees him a bonus if he makes x profit and the term 'profit' is defined precisely in his contract and we will never get to know what the definition is?

It will always be taken out of context, translated wrongly just to allow to get a headline. Unless someone shows a video of him saying things like we can only spend what we get for sold players minus 20M it is all total ******** just like you dj saying we should pray Spurs beat Liverpool yesterday.

this is completely ridiculous isn't it?

i have no idea what the hell the second paragraph is about at all and as for the first, you don't have to be a ****ing accountant to use the word 'profit' for what it means in erm.....every day life? :D

this is of course ignoring the fact that iirc wenger has an economics degree?

Don't listen to it. It's utter rubbish.

Cuenca, who deputised for Villa this season, has recently signed a new deal. Cristián Tello is looking fantastic too. Jonothan Dos Santos would porbably be the most likely to move on, but I definitely doubt any of them will move away from Barça. They all have great potential :thup:

Don't listen to it. It's utter rubbish.

Cuenca, who deputised for Villa this season, has recently signed a new deal. Cristián Tello is looking fantastic too. Jonothan Dos Santos would porbably be the most likely to move on, but I definitely doubt any of them will move away from Barça. They all have great potential :thup:

Llew not believing a newspaper story! :eek:

Looks like it'll be Sunderland.

Annoying, like on FM when you always draw the team you've just played in the league. Two games against Sunderland away either side of a trip to Milan is going to be very tough, with the form O'Neill's team are in.

this is completely ridiculous isn't it?

i have no idea what the hell the second paragraph is about at all and as for the first, you don't have to be a ****ing accountant to use the word 'profit' for what it means in erm.....every day life? :D

this is of course ignoring the fact that iirc wenger has an economics degree?

No, it is ridiculous to make any serious assumptions about how a big company is run based on a correct meaning of a single word used in such an interview. If he was answering some financial commission or court then maybe it would make some sense. he was talking to a journalist so it has no meaning for me.

If you didn't understand what I said the first time I can make it simple for you. The fact that he used the word "profit" (if he did) doesn't mean he used it in the exact meaning you are trying to imply. He may have used it in another meaning like "income" or referred to profit from just one part of club's activity. Or - as I said - anything. Or nothing. It is a media interview, not a court trail.

It is just an interview and I think it is not a language you know, and it is not sure what context it was said in and even if the French 'original' source is accurate.

His degree has nothing to do with his interviews. I know quite a lot of legal terms and it doesn't stop me from using them in different meanings in many situations.

Annoying, like on FM when you always draw the team you've just played in the league. Two games against Sunderland away either side of a trip to Milan is going to be very tough, with the form O'Neill's team are in.

Exactly. I was certain we had something like this in the last season but after a quick look at the fixtures I only found the two league games vs Bolton one after another 2 seasons ago. I recall some people complaining about this in FM.

PS Only now I realised they played ET in this game. Them playing the replay alone was good, this should be even more helpful.

I can see us playing a weakened squad in the FA Cup tie after the Milan game and crashing out, then crashing out of the CL. Last year all over again.

I gotta feeling we'll beat Milan, their squad just looks weak, when we played them 4 years ago they had the world's best now - Kevin Prince Boatening, and an aging side. Also Seria A has fallen dramatically it now only has 3 UCL spots

I gotta feeling we'll beat Milan, their squad just looks weak, when we played them 4 years ago they had the world's best now - Kevin Prince Boatening, and an aging side. Also Seria A has fallen dramatically it now only has 3 UCL spots

I suspect Milan fans are saying much the same about us. We can beat them; we can also lose to Swansea and Fulham.

From the press conference digest on official website:

** Wenger - This week will define season

** Wenger - Henry will return on February 16

** Wenger - England manager must be long-term

** Wenger - Arshavin will not be leaving

The first sentence is terrifying. It is always used before a week in which everything falls apart definitely.

I agree with this.

I can't understand the mentality in renewing the contracts of complete ***** to keep them longer.

It's only a 2 year contract. Unless we've given him a massive pay rise that seems sensible to me. I don't think Djourou is one of the players we'd have trouble moving on if we wanted to, pretty sure he could do a decent job for one of the smaller top division teams in England, France or Germany.

What does it matter? We'll crash out to someone better anyway and won't be there next season either.

I can't understand the mentality of a football fan who doesn't care whether his team wins a game of football or not.

It's only a 2 year contract. Unless we've given him a massive pay rise that seems sensible to me. I don't think Djourou is one of the players we'd have trouble moving on if we wanted to, pretty sure he could do a decent job for one of the smaller top division teams in England, France or Germany.

I can't understand the mentality of a football fan who doesn't care whether his team wins a game of football or not.

I didn't say I didn't care, I asked if it mattered if the only benefit is a bit more money before being knocked out of a competition we won't be in next year.

Just to calm everyone down about the profit quotes:

“I mean by that we want to pay the debt back from building the stadium and that’s around £15m, so it’s normal that at the start we have to make £15m or we lose money.”

He was immediately asked if this meant his hands were tied with regard to transfers and he answered with an emphatic “No”, before saying, “I accept one basic principle for every company and that’s that you can spend the money you make, and it looks always to be a massive surprise that I have to convince you of that.

“It’s just common sense and logic that what goes out has to equal what comes in and if that doesn’t work the company loses money.

“I am surprised that you’re surprised? Do you think the target of the club is to lose money? It’s normal for any company in the world so I don’t know why it’s a surprise.

Jenkinson back in training by the look of it which along with Gibbs and Andre Santos is great news. Just need Gervinho back now (but he's in the final, so will be given a break I'd have thought?).

Was there any news on A. Santos in recent days? I haven't noticed it. IIRC it was said he will be out until the end of March, but I may be way off here.

Archived