LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are discussing it because a) he's not been very good this season and b) his contract expires at the end of the next season so if he isn't going to sign another deal we may as well get some cash.

What will probably happen is that we'll hold on to him and he'll be outstanding next season and then leave for free ala Flamini.

don't know why you'd want rid anyway, he's only 22, he just needs to be not the first xi option, and give him some time to develop more

Yeah we really dont want to sell him, but we may be forced.

And Theo was better last season than Downing. Theo had a very good season last season. Was good this season up until he had Djourou playing behind him.

Haven't we learnt from the Flamini/Nasri ordeals to extend contracts at least 18 mths before they are due to protect their values?

The problem with that is that we end up with players like Almunia, Bendtner, Denilson etc. who haven't developed as expected but are on long-term contracts and who we then can't offload because of their wages and the fact that they aren't very good. Consider the Flamini situation. He was very average until that breakthrough season - if we'd given him the contract he wanted then and he hadn't developed we could easily have found ourselves stuck with him.

If the rumours about what Walcott is asking for are true, he really doesn't deserve that sort of money. I don't think the club should be held to ransom by a player who isn't performing at Top 4 level purely on the basis that he might finally come good sometime in the next four years.

The Flamini situation was just unfortunate. No-one thought he deserved a new contract beforehand. It was just a shame we couldn't convince him to stay on.

Yeah. It's always a bit of a gamble. Sometimes Wenger's faith in his young players pays off and sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes it pays off when it's too late to do anything about it, like with Flamini.

The other factor of course is that had Flamini not been motivated to sell himself in the shop window, maybe he would never have had a season like he did. He had never been anywhere near as immense as he was that season prior to that. He'd been a useful utility player at best.

Meanwhile, it looks like AA could be starting again tomorrow:

We have a little problem with Oxlade-Chamberlain that we have to check today [Friday] because his knee jarred a little bit and we will see how he has recovered from it. All of the other players look alright.

Didn't he score his first Arsenal goal against Blackburn? Looked so exciting back then :(

I still love Wenger and I want to trust him more than anything, and I certainly wouldn't get rid of him mid-season.

These constant collapses need to stop, this Arsenal team is more than capable of finishing top 4 and this **** we have to look at on the touchline will have to stop, he's embarrassing himself with his carry on.

The online gooner forum, predominantly anti-wenger has been shut down. That place went a little too far with the hate but closing it down will push the revolution underground. Not a smart move in my opinion. A civil war is brewing.

Surely some kind of award for this post

The online gooner forum, predominantly anti-wenger has been shut down. That place went a little too far with the hate but closing it down will push the revolution underground. Not a smart move in my opinion. A civil war is brewing.

I want this to be put in the hall of fame. Just pure genius

Come on. How can anyone not love djvandyke? Such an angry, angry man.

Some 'interesting' news confirmed by Gilles Grimandi, the club's head scout based in France :thup:

Looking forward to see how we recover tomorrow from our midweek exertions. Of course, I'm wary of another upset, but I feel that we will beat them, with some aplomb too. It's not as if we're not making chances, it's just the fact that we can't seem to take them. RVP hit the woodwork twice against Bolton I think. It's not all that bad, we just have to be far more ruthless and direct when taking chances; something which is easily changed.

We'll win. The form is clearly going up and it was a miracle we didn't beat Bolton midweek. Players just need a win or two to get the confidence back.

Feel free to have a go at me for saying this, I fully expect it.

I fully expect Arshavin and Gibbs to start. The former will carrying on being a broken man mentally, the latter will be one physically.

My save on Football Manager is a direct analogy of what is happening this season.

I started well, I was walking the league, 9 points clear at one point. Then come December: injury crisis. No full backs (except Billy Jones, even I like Wenger sign some very average players) and a plethora of injuries which was worsened by the ACON departures. I didn't sign anyone in January because I had no money, spent it all on Gansó in the summer who started off brilliant, got injured and is dire now. We dropped from first to fifth, now a point behind City who are fourth with two games in hand. With just 8 games left, it's looking very much like I'll finish fifth with Arsenal. Which I've never done before. We're also out of the FA Cup (Wolves) and the Carling Cup (Liverpool, 7-1 agg in the Semis). We lost 5-2 at home to Wigan. 1-0 away to 10 man Spurs. 2-1 home to Liverpool. 4-0 away to Chelsea.

Still got the CL though :cool: drew Barcelona in the quarter-finals though. Again.

So yes. I am worried.

Djvandkye, you need to cut down on the David Icke videos, I've told you already, next thing you'll be saying Arsene Wenger is reptilian and part of the Illuminati.

Nah. If he was really being brainwashed by Icke, he'd be a Leicester fan. ;)

My save on Football Manager is a direct analogy of what is happening this season. I started well, I was walking the league, 9 points clear at one point. Then come December: injury crisis. No full backs (except Billy Jones, even I like Wenger sign some very average players) and a plethora of injuries which was worsened by the ACON departures. I didn't sign anyone in January because I had no money, spent it all on Gansó in the summer who started off brilliant, got injured and is dire now. We dropped from first to fifth, now a point behind City who are fourth with two games in hand. With just 8 games left, it's looking very much like I'll finish fifth with Arsenal. Which I've never done before. We're also out of the FA Cup (Wolves) and the Carling Cup (Liverpool, 7-1 agg in the Semis). We lost 5-2 at home to Wigan. 1-0 away to 10 man Spurs. 2-1 home to Liverpool. 4-0 away to Chelsea. Still got the CL though :cool: drew Barcelona in the quarter-finals though. Again. So yes. I am worried.
Is it just me or is that nothing at all like Arsenal's season?:D

Is it just me or is that nothing at all like Arsenal's season?:D
Thought it was just me who felt that way.:D Well, against a poor Rovers team, we definitely can batter them if we just be more clinical in our finishing. RvP's facing his fave team and his fave GK, Paul Robinson so without Samba, he will score.

Maybe it's just the underachieving that's similar :D

We need a big win today. An early goal would do wonders for the team/confidence etc I think. If we play well Blackburn are there for the taking, if not it'll be a long afternoon. MON LADS

Archived