Wishlist: What you would like to see in future versions of the game. All 'list' ideas in here.

Only a cosmetic wish, but i would like to see the patterns of your pitch change at the begining of a new season.

So for a full season you would have lines and then next season the groundsman would change the patterns to circles and so on.

Getting a bit bored of having squares every single season!

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One idea I thought about was a counter attacking setting, i.e. rather than just ticking the box, you can have a slider for frequency and also team settings for it. I know this would be taxing for us to do, but I think it would certainly improve gameplay.

The reasoning is, that imagine you're a mid-poor team like Bolton, Wigan and you are against Man United away, now all theories in the game, manual, tips etc say that for you to play counter attacking football you need to play quick, direct and down the wings. However, to play away against the big boys, you need to time waste more, slow the tempo down, play narrow and shorten your passes so as to keep possession away from the other team. So these two ideas conflict each other, therefore, I'm suggesting having a normal setting for when you have the ball but no counter attack is viable, i.e. from a goal kick and another one for when you're faced with only 2 defenders in their half and you have 3-4 players able to break. Players' decision making will certainly play a part in the success of this, but that's the same for every tactical instruction we do. This setting wouldn't be necessary for the eilte teams as they can break and play at the same tempo anyway due to high skill factor, whereas with a Wigan, you wouldn't want to be zipping the ball around over long distances just in the hope you get one counter attack. At the same time you don't want to play slow then have a C.A. chance come up and your players leisurely knock it to defenders and back.

I don't know what anyone else thinks of this but, would it be a good idea to include the managers private life?

By this, I mean that maybe all of the contract money that the manager has earned over the years can be kept by the manager. This could then be used to buy better houses, or fancy cars... or the ability to put some of his own fund back into the club...

Any thoughts? Just an idea...

I don't know what anyone else thinks of this but, would it be a good idea to include the managers private life?

By this, I mean that maybe all of the contract money that the manager has earned over the years can be kept by the manager. This could then be used to buy better houses, or fancy cars... or the ability to put some of his own fund back into the club...

Any thoughts? Just an idea...

Are you joking? If not, people around here do not like that idea (neither do i), so ... go play FIFA Manager :/.

But seriously, i wouldn't expect manager's private live on FM if i were you, but you never know...

I would like to see enhancements in how players develop and improve in the game. Right now players basically stop improving around 24, right? Well that's just not very realistic I think. It's well accepted that in real life players don't peak until they're 27-28? Defenders even later, and goalkeepers even later still.

I think in the current game it says somewhere that goalkeepers don't peak until 30 or something like that. Now why can't that be true for position players as well?

There are many quality regens born every year in a much higher standard than real life. This means, regens does instantly replaces real life players especially in lower leagues.

Shortly, regens are over-rated very much.

If you are managing a team you think can break into the Champs League places in the next couple of seasons, could we possibly add this into contract negotiations?

Better players may come if the have a clause stating if team x fails to qualify for CL by 2010 then player y will have release clause of £xxxxx. Add to this if team x qualifies for CL in agreed timescale then player y gets bonus of £xxxxx.

I think it would be a good idea to search for players that 'arrive in the box late', 'shoots from distance' etc etc...

It would be useful and would certainly narrow down your search, as opposed to clicking on the player, then positions, before seeing his PPM's or alternatively, would save you training him it. Also, you could buy a player and he doesn't want to/fails to learn the move yet with this search facility, you can check who possesses the PPm you're after...

Don't know if it has been suggested already but in a similar way to getting a loan player report from your assistant, would it not be good to have a free agent/expired contract report?

Don't know if it has been suggested already but in a similar way to getting a loan player report from your assistant, would it not be good to have a free agent/expired contract report?

Would be good but also impossible, no one could go through EVERY free agent on the game and find good ones. Good idea though, if it was possible.

Idea copied from it's own thread.

This is a proposal that ties together possible solutions for a wide variety of common and not so common complaints about FM09 in a single package that I feel has the potential to elevate subsequent versions of this series not just above current complaints but potentially to an entire new level of sports simulation for this franchise.

One thing that has always been evident to me in Football Manager is that despite the addition of player interaction and staff feedback, the manager has never really felt like he has the elite of footballing knowledge and genius at his fingertips and he certainly has never been able to "talk football" with the games characters in any manner. The greatest tactical and coaching backroom staff in the world do not in any shape or form educate the manager in coaching and tactics; and they should do.

The CM/FM series has always been as much an educational tool for the footballing enthuisiast as a game in the years I have played it. You always know what youngsters to keep an eye out for in real life if you play this series, you always know the rules and regulations of multiple competitions, and there is a vast historical and statistical database within the game that I doubt any single player every really scratches the surface of throughout a career.

My proposal stems from the unity of FM as a source of football knowledge, the depth of the games tactical and coaching systems, the problems of getting to grips with these systems and understanding the challenges faced and the solutions available, and my own dissapointment at the lack of backroom staff interaction and a much wider knowledge base included within the game.

My proposal is the development of an ingame footballing encyclopaedia that contains data relevant to understanding the function of the game from a managerial perspective, and delivering this information to the manager through the medium of club staff. Further the game should track manager behaviour and the behaviour of his opponents and the behaviour of clubs in the managers competitions in key areas and provide feedback regarding trends, assistance regarding weaknesses and advice regarding areas the manager is concerned with, through the medium of club staff.

In short I am proposing the development of a system of game relevant encyclopaedic football information and vastly expanded perpetual contextual support for the player via the backroom staff.

An example of this system would be this:

A manager pulls up his staff screen and looks for the highest Tactical Knowledge attribute in his club. He pulls up the profile of this staff member and clicks on the Tactical Knowledge attribute to reveal a drop down menu. This drop down menu contains the options of Formations : Positions : Tactical Concepts : Tactical Trends of (Your League) : Tactical Trends versus (Your Club) etc. Choosing the option Formations would introduce the manager to a wealth of information regarding Footballing Formations, there real life premises and their relevance and implimentation within Football Manager. This screen would also contain tactical information based upon your own squad and feedback from the staff member regarding the strengths and weaknesses of your players, your squad and your club utilising these formations in your league. In short a tactical discussion with your clubs own tactical guru.

This would work similarly for all areas of expertise in all staff members. Physiotherapists would educate the manager in the concepts behind fitness and suggest strategies for maintaining condition and reducing fatigue through a drop down menu from the Physiotherapy attribute. He would explain every type of injury in terms of game consequences for the manager, and he would describe both problems and solutions to conditioning and fitness problems for every member of your playing squad when asked or when certain values are reached.

Obviously such a system would be a vast undertaking but as the Tutorial system shows such a system is in time perhaps inevitable to deal with the problems faced by such a complex management simulation of a real world game where knowledge and advice and communication is an integral part of the entire experience.

There is one final opportunity and that is to take the entire system of assistance, advice and information online in a wiki format at its basic level where backroom feedback and contextual advice remains the realm of SI developers but where the depth of information held by this system is enhanced by connecting it to the internet and a purpose built football manager wiki. I think this system would supply the only fundamental aspect of management this game lacks in itself, the ability to talk football and learn football within the context of the game.

wiki-style world. As you progress through a career, each team, player, award, competition has a wiki page. So for a club it might have a brief intro on when the club was founded, some info on how it got its nickname, etc. below that a brief overview of the stadium and manager or a brief listing of all the awards the club has received. Then it might show things like the current squad, etc. It may also have season by season breakdowns, ie. '2010. Man Utd started out strong winning the community shield over Liverpool and winning 7 out of its first 8 in the premiership with Dimitar Berbatov finally showing his quality with a string of 5 straight league games with a goal. However with the loss of Wayne Rooney to a knee injury and other nagging injuries after christmas their form started to decline and despite an epic fight with Arsenal at the end were piqued on the final weekend to finish 2nd ending their 3 year reign as champions of the EPL. They fared much better in Europe...'

There are endless possibilities here and the great thing is that it would be dynamic and change as your save progressed. You could then have it, say, chronicle the South American leagues while you're coaching in Europe and it may be another scouting system where you start on the Sao Paulo page and end up link travelling as I'm sure we all do and after 20 minutes of journeying through link after link you arrive at some obscure 6'4" 210lb 20 yr old DC who trialed at Corinthians as a 16 yr old but failed to secure a place. Instead he went back and played for his local low-tier team. Then in the Brazilian cup he had a breakout against Gremio where he was man of the match after playing the whole match, getting an assist and being named the man of the match. This synopsis might be listed in his 'season by season' breakdown. It might also list in his opening paragraph that he is a promising youngster and that he is noted as being a determined defender with a great work rate (all info already listed in the game); thus having all this info in one layout/screen in an enjoyable format. You could then say, 'ok, this guy has good size, is young, trialed with Corinthians so at some point he had great buzz/potential, is at a local club so could be got for cheap, was man of the match against a top-tier team, etc. etc. Then if you have money to burn you could send a scout to brazil to check him out. This would satisfy another way to find players, balancing the 'You'd then not be looking at their stats (to satisfy the purists)' or the 'only scouting the opposing players you play against or thus would realistically hear about'.

Of course this would have to be an option you select when setting up your save but if you have the hd space this would be wicked. Would be great to see your 'world' in this fashion.

Small teams in obscure leagues might have limited info or appear as a 'stub'. 'Red' names for the current squad, etc. to mirror the greyed out squad players. If a player becomes famous who played at the club it might list them as 'famous players' from that club that you could click their name to link to their player profile page, etc. I think this would add a lot of immersion to the already great series.

You know that time of year (about 18th June?) when you are given a batch of youngsters, and your Ass. Man picks one as being the 'most promising'?

I was thinking, what if you could choose which players you want.

Say you are offered twenty (or so) 15-16 year olds from your local area. But you can only choose ten to be given a Youth Contract at your club.

This means you could pick the ones you like best, or the ones you think you'll need most in the upcoming seasons. This could remove the randomness of the 'Fresh batch of youngsters' you get each season.

The rejects? Who knows, maybe one will join your rival ;), he could end up proving you wrong.

It probably sounds like a rubbish reality show, but I think it could work well.

Made a thread about this ("Idea: Youth Academy"), quite good feedback so far :thup:

I'd like to see that when you have an offer for a player accepted by a club and have offered a contract, then at the 11th hr another club has a bid accepted. If the other club's contract offer to the player is more lucrative to the player than the one you have offered, then rather than you just losing out on the player instantly, the players agent should approach me saying 'club x has offered my client x amount per week with y and z bonuses, do you wish to make a counterbid?

You know that time of year (about 18th June?) when you are given a batch of youngsters, and your Ass. Man picks one as being the 'most promising'?

I was thinking, what if you could choose which players you want.

Say you are offered twenty (or so) 15-16 year olds from your local area. But you can only choose ten to be given a Youth Contract at your club.

This means you could pick the ones you like best, or the ones you think you'll need most in the upcoming seasons. This could remove the randomness of the 'Fresh batch of youngsters' you get each season.

The rejects? Who knows, maybe one will join your rival ;), he could end up proving you wrong.

It probably sounds like a rubbish reality show, but I think it could work well.

Made a thread about this ("Idea: Youth Academy"), quite good feedback so far :thup:

I was thinking of something like this myself. Perhaps academies set up around the world. Id also like to see scouts find youngsters playing at school level, maybe 14 years old or something like that who you can ask to play for your academy. The youth academy idea is great.

Apart from all bugs fixed what would you like in the new FM10 I know it’s still early to think about FM10 but have your say in what’s FM09 is missing

1. I am still a fan of being an ass Manager and control the res, also give feed back to the manager on your players and recommend players to him.

2. You should be able to buy a player and have the option to send him back to the club your getting him from as part of the deal. (Like the man utd deal when they got Ben Foster)

3. Half time and full time team talks you should be able to have both ass man and manager say something to the team and also say things to 1 or 2 players instead of 1 or the other like it is now.

4. When you make subs you should be able to talk to the players you bring on and off tell them what you want them to do or why you took them off.

5. Have a grounds man who looks after the pitch and reports back lets you know if it needs relaying or not the better the grounds man the better the pitch.

These are just a couple of my ideas you might like them you might not you also might have your own ideas so just for fun let us know. :D

After the thriller of a game at Old Trafford yesterday (Man Utd v Villa) I have never seen free kicks from inside the penalty area for a backpass to the keeper....has this been mentioned?

Or perhaps...its in the game, but i havent come across it yet.

After posting in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=116453

I would like the opportunity to be able to build youth camps in the game. For example I could build one in Brazil and get a selection of youth players to pick from for my youth team.

Somebody mentioned that it was used in total club manager? but it was not used to its full potential so I am hoping FM will take it to its maximum!

After the thriller of a game at Old Trafford yesterday (Man Utd v Villa) I have never seen free kicks from inside the penalty area for a backpass to the keeper....has this been mentioned?

I'm 90% sure it is in the game, but it barely ever happens irl so that is the same in the game.

in a penalty shoot-out you should be able to see who would like to hit a penalty and who would'nt. like IRL am sure the managers asks who would like to hit 1 b4 deciding who hits them

in a penalty shoot-out you should be able to see who would like to hit a penalty and who would'nt. like IRL am sure the managers asks who would like to hit 1 b4 deciding who hits them

Yeah, I really like this idea. Maybe the arrow system could be used, if they are confident a ^ should appear on the 'Select Penalty Taker' screen, if they aren't then a v on it. If they are neither, a > could show.

Really like that idea:thup:

After playing FM09 solidly for 10 days now, I would like to see the following for later versions. In no particular order of significance:

1) Stadiums that aren't just grey, and look realistic. Maybe even have crowds that start jumping when a goal is scored, or have banners in!

2) A better set of default tactics, so developing them is less of a chore for those who just want to get straight into a game, and those that do want to change them have more of an idea of what good settings are. Maybe also have a choice of tactic styles packed in as well so players can see how to get teams playing like their real life equivalents e.g. Barcelona 4-3-3.

3) A greater choice of skins packed in, or at least one light and one dark. Plus the ability to ability to customise text colours.

4) The difference between the 3 mentoring options to be explained.

5) More differences in managerial styles. Wheeler dealing, veterans vs youth, whiny or honest, nomadic or loyal, passing vs hoofball. The differences in managers could could be made more distinctive.

6) Players having the ability to be retrained to other positions and be natural in them. It happens in real life, that players end up in positions they werent playing at 16.

7) Boards that take into account past successes. At the moment, it seems that seasons are a bit one-shot, it would be nice if you could build up board trust like Wenger/Ferguson has, for example.

8) Trophy presentations, where you see you little captain pick up the trophy and go on a lap of honour.

9) When selecting assistant reports, being able to select any coach and not just your AM.

I would like their to be interim managers, have meetings with the board discussing transfers, the team and all the other stuff related to the club. You should be involved in everything related to a transfer such as discussing with the player with the contract. There should also be profiles to the players such as cars they own and property portfolio. There should also get a license for the Germany team. When you are managing a National Team, your assistant should recommend you players to pick. There should be a list of players who are playing well and a list of players who are not playing well. When it shows your opponent and who's players are unavailable and injured, it should show the manager, a report of their recent run of form and any players they have signed recently. When clubs go into administration, there should be a wage deferal what southampton have had to do. Also your scouts should recommend you which players are good enough to buy within your budget and also before a game starts, it should show a picture of the stadium. Also Hull City's Stadium Name needs to be changed because it is called the circle instead of The KC Stadium. Also when you go into administration, it should show who the administrators are. My other ideas are: better 3d view, Trophy Room, better manager interaction,more room for extra comments in press conferences,completely realistic transfers,the chairman should hire a sporting director who should take care of your transfers and recommend you players i.e Dennis Wise, there should be more research on the youth teams and the younger players in the lower leagues and you should be able to win red card appeals+ you should be allocated a transfer budget for January.

When discussing terms with a player id like to be able to talk with them rather then just offer a contract to them.

In other words meet with the player and their agent where i can convince them that my club would be the best club to join. Perhaps ask them to attend a match to watch us play, and talk to them about my future plans for the club etc, in a similer way the press conferences are done.

id like more player involvement in general. Players talking to the media etc

Individual 1 to 1s with players to discuss any issues etc. If a player is playing well i want to tell him to his face and not go through the media.

Improved teamtalks. If im 3-0 up and happy with the display but want us to go and score another 3 i dont want to tell them im pleased as invites complacency but i dont want to tell them to not be complacent as thats like telling them im not happy with the first half display.

Improved fan interaction with who they like or dont like. Enchanced rivalries for players they dont like.

An end of week traiing update. If a player is struggling to score goals and is low on confidence but is improving and working very hard in training id want to know. Perhaps training having an effect on form as such. This could also assist with improved training where if a side of a players game is lacking i.e finishing i want to be able to focus on that during training.

Lastly i really would like a more realistic expectation from the board and fans after matches. Currently im West Ham and by some minor miracle i finished 4th in the PL. In the Champions League i drew AC Milan in my group and not suprisingly the likes of Carlton Cole and Faubert were no match when we played them away. But yet my fans we still annoyed with my 1-0 loss. It seems common a loss will always result in a negative reaction from fans and the board. A touch of realism would be nice here.

totally agree with all your ideas, especially the ones about agent involvement...another thing which annoys me is when you buy youngsters who arent good enough to get in the first team, you get slated in the club confidence section as the players arent playing!!

Mentioned before, but the Arrange Friendlies option needs looking at.

I'm tired of arranging a tour of England only to find they're all rejected because those clubs have games either side of my planned dates.

The AI rejects it every time, so why do i have to request a Friendly everytime? There should be a pre-check built in:

'Doncaster Rovers are unlikely to agree to your Friendly Game request as they have a game 2 days later"

Something simple like that would save constant annoyance from FM07 08 and 09

This is just a small idea, but it would be good if when a player returns from a long injury, it could be mentioned in the match commentary, something like "Wayne Rooney is coming on to replace Carlos Tevez, and the Manchester United fans look delighted to see him after 4 months out".

In addition to this, i would also like to see a naked streaker run across the pitch in a cup final. :p

Not sure if any SI staff are reading this, but here goes my wish list:

1. Make a complete game.

Bugs will always be inevitable in computer games but please minimize it to a minimum and try to eradicate any game-spoiling bug. I believe all of us gamers here would rather have a slightly improved match engine that works just fine then one that was overhauled to be more realistic yet contains a bug which spoils the game. Having said that, it's good to aim high and aim big. Otherwise we would still be watching 2d circles running around the pitch. Make sure it works. =)

2. Features vs. "Cleanliness"

In SI's words, I hope they can take a close hard look at the next FM and remove any deadwood "redundant code" or make it more efficient to improve processing speed. I'm sure many fellow FM-ers would agree on this point. Personally, I would prefer less features be introduced if it means the game is cleaned up nicely.

3. Surprise us

Kudos to the SI team for the many great surprises such as the April Fool's day joke and the SI staff personalities. A refreshing feature from the somewhat mundane football managing (after 20+seasons). Please continue with this feature.

4. FM Genie Scout

From the download hits of FM Genie Scout, I'm pretty sure most of my fellow FM-ers are enjoying a successful managerial career thanks to the hard work of Eugene (creator of Genie Scout). For myself, Genie Scout is fundamental to my enjoyment of Football managing. Without it, I'm a blind man trying to find his way out of a maze. Here, I would like to plead with the SI team to help out Eugene in his development of Genie Scout. (I recall him mentioning once that a certain database format file would greatly speed up his development process)

5. Poverty

Just a cheeky request for the SI team to consider reducing the price a little. It certainly goes a long way for a student like me playing FM. I'm guessing it would provide more incentive for FM-ers to continue buying the series amidst this global financial turmoil rather then them turning to piracy.

Just my two cents worth of thoughts. Constructive criticisms are very much welcomed.

I apologize beforehand if I offend anyone with my remarks unknowingly.

Really really really need "save training selections"!!!

Before a new season start,I need all my players focus on fitness train;Then when season start,I need them all back to the schedules I assigned them for dailly training.

It is NOT a easy job when you have a lot of players,a "save training selections" will be really helpful

Hi SI people, I had an idea about press conferences for 2010.

In real life, clubs can call press conferences (as opposed to being called to them by journalists) to announce things, so why not do so in FM?

You could do it to announce new players, sponsors, stadium developments etc etc, OR to announce player finings to really reinforce the message that their performance/actions were not acceptable, OR to have a general rant, á la Rafael Benitez!

Also, you could use it to launch PR stuff, such as (daft examples, but I can't think of anything else today!) Fan Days (with reduced ticket prices), or wearing different kits, like my Oldham wearing pink kits for a one off match, for charity!

Obviously the PC would have an effect on the player, e.g. "Player believes he deserved his fine, and thinks Manager was justified in making the public aware", or "Player was upset about the fine to start with, and feels upset and humiliated."

I've done some concept graphics for the idea:

55856205.th.jpg

30846368.th.jpg

94626484.th.jpg

How about your scouts or ass manager, coming to you with a list of players that would be intrested in joining your club who are on a bosman.

Also please make it alot more easy to arrange friendly matches, am sick of trying to make a tounament or go on tour with teams always saying no. A list of teams intrested and how much it would cost for home matches would be good.

The option to send coaches to watch my next opponents, maybe not crucial but I'd trust a coaches oponion on a teams tactics, strengths & weaknesses over a scout who should only be interested in finding me the next world talent.

How about this idea for national team managers:

- Player Interaction:

- Declare your interest in selecting {player_name} for {nation_name} when he's eligible for {nationality} nationality within the up-coming months.

This would also help players who "sees no benefit" of getting the nationality to get it.

Archived