Things you know you have taken too far when playing FM

Excellent, there is another "Adam S" here!

Ive got loads, especially because I used to live with a fellow FM nutjob.

1) Anyone ever do the commentary in their heads, especially about 'the manager' i.e you? So if you are three down and you decide to storm off to the kitchen for a cup of tea, in your head there is a Martin Tyler and Andy Gray going,

"Look at this Andy, Shaw is furious!! He's thrown a water bottle down and.....yes he's off down the tunnel!! Shaw is walking out on his own team!!"

"Well Martin I can't blame him, his side have just been appalling, and he is sending a message saying that they just can't put in a performance like this!"

2) I do the whole sideline thing as well, i point and shout OI!!! GET BACK!!! and when they dont listen and we concede, I shrug my shoulders at the screen as if Im saying to the player, "What do you expect when you dont listen to me???"

3) Im a Stockport County fan, so whenever I see a player who Ive only ever heard of in FM, Ill always make a judgement based on how good he is in that. Its great because it often works. Christian Ribeiro had been great for my Championship Bristol C side

, so last month when he came to County I said to my Dad "Good signing, good signing him." and hes been our best player.

4) Another example of this is when the infamous Richie Partridge (remember how good he was on 03/04?) was sold to Chester, he came to play against County. I said to my Dad, "We've got to watch this guy he's bloody brilliant." I could see my Dad wondering how I knew. And not a word of a lie, when he banged in a screamer against us, I stood up and screamed "ITS RICHIE ****ING PARTRIDGE, YOU CANT GIVE HIM THAT MUCH ****ING SPACE!!!" I'd never seen him play in real life before that, but as far as I was concerned, I knew him like the back of my hand!

5) I remember we had a friendly against Liverpool reserves and FM legend Dean Bouzanis was playing for them. I called my FM geek mate and we both just went nuts over the phone at each other like schoolgirls that had seen.......whatever pop star they love, as we had both signed him for our teams. I nearly went and got his autograph but realised id be killed by all the fellow county fans!

6) In real life if a County reserve comes through the system, but AFTER Ive used him on my FM first team, then its me that discovered him, not the manager. I am therefore responsible for Tommy Rowe's success in real life and subsequent move to Peterborough, as I had been playing him in Countys FM team for about a year previous.

Ill try and think of some more, but yeh, Fm take control of your life. I can often walk to the supermarket and back running through a press conference in my head!

:D Great post!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very entertaining thread,

My crimes include:

1. Giving a running commentary on the title race as games progress and making notes on all the possible scenarios with which myself and all of my closest rivals could win the league.

2. Forcing my brother to interview me whilst I sit behind the desk with glass of water and best friend on my left playing the role of one of my players ( sad I know )

3. Wishing teams who have cost me valuable points on FM get humiliated irl

4. Faking illness to miss date with the Gf so I could carry on playing and finish my season

5. Getting over emotional when things go wrong and getting extremely angry and throwing things.

Haha great thread, thought i was the only one...I think Ive done em all, heres some of mine

I usually mime tactics on the touchline, like when i want to play more direct, i start miming 'over the top...'

My own press conferences when i sign someone, or after a game

Create a list of players with a notepad, with all your transfer targets

List of tactics in your notepad

Running commentary, i do this on all sports games though

Imaginary handshake with the opposing manager

Playing the clubs anthem on youtube before everyngame, or at least singing it to myself

Lifted up a vase in celebration when i when a final

This is a very entertaining thread,

My crimes include:

1. Giving a running commentary on the title race as games progress and making notes on all the possible scenarios with which myself and all of my closest rivals could win the league.

2. Forcing my brother to interview me whilst I sit behind the desk with glass of water and best friend on my left playing the role of one of my players ( sad I know )

3. Wishing teams who have cost me valuable points on FM get humiliated irl

4. Faking illness to miss date with the Gf so I could carry on playing and finish my season

5. Getting over emotional when things go wrong and getting extremely angry and throwing things.

:D:D "Your relationship has now expired."

Imaginary handshake with the opposing manager

:D Yeah, I do this one too.... and I applaud my players and verbally congratulate them at the end of a particularly good performance or after a "wondergoal" or particularly impressive bit of teamplay.

Running to my cat and celebrating as if he's the scorer.

a classic in my house, but its the dog. Quite often, if i'm alone, i might run miles around the house just to find the dog to celebrate, only to return to find that the goal has been cancelled out.

pretty much all the things mentioned I have done, and I think you lot have to!

Some good and funny ones on this thread, I liked the one where the guy got his regen's name on his Barca Top. :thup:

Whenever I play Champions league games I always have the theme playing in the background, gets me in the mood :D. In my QPR game ive starting playing the sky sports football league song.

And sometimes At the end of the season I give press confrences to myself and give each player a analysis. And my Athletico Madrid game on FM08 actually got me supporting them in real life, They are still my favourite Spanish team.

Oh darn I have a new one because of reading this thread.

Im just about to get promoted with Sheff Wed, and I know that next season in the prem when I have a televised game, Im going to find that Kasabian music they play before each Sky Sports game (you know with the people travelling in their cars to the various games etc) and then Ill blatantly sit there daydreaming about Richard Keys describing the game ahead with his panel.

"Welcome to Sky Sports for Sheffield Wednesday versus Liverpool. We're joined by Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness. A hell of a year for the Owls since Shaw became manager Jamie?"

"Oh yeh Richard, and he's done a stunning job for 'em, but Ive got to say, today is a real challenge for the young manager. Liverpool struggling but unbeaten in three."

An hour later Id get to the actual match!!!!

As I play FM on my laptop in windowed mode, I can watch Football streams whilst playing. I have on occasion ended up paying too much attention to the real life game (especially if it involves the team im managing) and then (especially if my team lose) taking it out on the players in the game (needless to say after seeing Wes Brown drop a clanger against Villa, i fined him in a fit of rage even though he hadn't done anything in the game! Now I have an unhappy squad and a ****ed off player : (

I've also ghost written many football books about a season managing team X the trials and tribulations of what's gone on, the players performances, my views on football and my discussions with my backroom staff on which striker to buy from a shortlist of three (all in my head of course).

Also my champions league games/cup final pre game interview on the bog and also the press asking me for my opinion of stuff thats been happening in the real football world (again all in my head)

So sad....

Sometimes I will make my own commentary and say it out-loud apart from when I am playing it in front of my Mum and Dad but I hardly do that because I know I have to concentrate so I play alone. I took it as far as to buy the Orlando pirates top when I was visiting South Africa. They are the team I am managing.

• 2 weeks later...

Punching the door when I concede and shouting at players as if they hear me are 2 bad things. Also I did a knee slide after winning the World Cup! And whenever I do well with a club, I become attached to them in reality forever. And hate them if I do bad!

I took an argument with my wife too far once. She was moaning about me playing too much! A couple of backhand slaps across her face later and she now knows my priorities :cool:

Only joking. The worst i have done is thrown a wireless mouse against the wall when i conceded a last minute goal in a cup final may moons ago. I've learned to chill out as i've got older :D

- Head held between hands (sending offs, going behind by a goal late in the game)

- Raised, shaking fist (taking the lead against smaller team)

- Both fists held in front of body, shaking (taking the lead in an important game or against rival team)

- Both arms in the air (winning a tight, important game)

- The thinking man, chin resting on fist (worried about how the match is proceeding)

yep, all of them :)

i usually commentate as well, just quietly. have done since Fifa 2003 when i started playing football games. only now i have started yelling occasionally when an important goal is scored, so there been a few shouts of "DZEKO!" and "TEVEZ!" over the past couple of days.

also a regular occurrence is me swearing repeatedly at the game, until either i score and start yelling the scorer's name, or the ME freezes (also far too regular occurrence) and i swear for a bit longer as i start the game up again.

according to Xfire, i spent 1500 hours on FM09 between January and the release of FM10. even not playing the game for 2/3 of it, that is still far too much.

Jumping around the room whne I socre a goal like a madman.

Shouting " For f*** sake close him down!!" to a group of dots on my computer screen.

Done many a press conference when I'm a) lying in bed. b) in the toilet. c) out and about, occasionally to my embarrasment when someone else is in ear shot without me noticing!

Standing and applauding my player off as he is being substituted shouting "Well played lad" or chanting his name as if I was the crowd!

Various occasions I've talked about a certain player moving to another club irl when it happenedin FM only!

Putting on a Scottish accent and commentating if I'm watching highlights of a Premiership game ala Andy Gray.

ive been doing these things since cm4 , fist pumps, swearing excessively whenever i concede goals straight away or near full time ,talking to myself about my players and actually didnt go out of my house or room much for 2-3 weeks at one time ( i was obsessed with fm for about 4 years)lol even have it on both psp and pc :-P

I was hammering Swindon 5-0, and at around the 80th minute mark, the match text read:-

"Swindon fans are leaving, they have seen enough."

And I dunno why I did it, but I burst into "we can see you sneaking out"!!!

As I looked round, to my horror, my missus and 2 Daughters were giving me that "daddies gone off his head look" :o

I was once on a lads holiday in Tenerife and i was craving for a game of football manager so i bought myself a `world soccer` magazine,read it about 50 times for inspiration of whom to buy once i arrived home..and i found a blankish page in that magazine and created a tactic with a dreamteam of players that i would buy.

Just played a game where the opposition's stiker got through on goal in the 89th minute. It was obviously offside, and I threw up my hand, like you would if you playing a game irl. Managed to get a bruised hand from my bunk bed, and the ref didn't even pay me any attention! :D

Haven't look through everyone's, so these might have cropped up before but simple one's such as the Mourinho pump fist while watching your team win an important game. Usually find the passion comes out more once your struggling and you grab a vital goal.

Grab my head when we concede late on can be one.

Also going to bed thinking "Why is this happening.." "where do I need to improve" "perhaps I should play so and so more infield..."

Oh and Jesus, just remembered that after seeing that Cueff post!

I brought a Hull City shirt with Stuart Elliot on the back after having a brilliant Hull City game with Elliot gabbing goals from left midfield, they became my second team for about 3 years (CM03-04) and Elliot became my favourite player.

That's pretty epic thinking back. (Wish I still had the shirt, would post it!)

Oh and Jesus' date=' just remembered that after seeing that Cueff post!

I brought a Hull City shirt with Stuart Elliot on the back after having a brilliant Hull City game with Elliot gabbing goals from left midfield, they became my second team for about 3 years (CM03-04) and Elliot became my favourite player.

That's pretty epic thinking back. (Wish I still had the shirt, would post it!)[/quote']

Stuart Elliot was brilliant on that CM, also got me loads of goals from left mid!

I had a mark on my forearm for about a year after reaching over the kettle for a celebratory cup of tea after beating Roma (Good in CM01/02)

I sometimes play Multuiplayer international managers and do the thing with the National Anthems before the game. Then during the (real life) World Cup, I burst into 'Fratelli d'Italia' in the pub. I also do the dodgy accent thing as well.

Fist Pumping is fairly typical. But at the moment after conceding a goal I have this indignant, motionless look going on.

I have a Football Manager Ring Binder made up of things such as tactics and players.

Just played a game where the opposition's stiker got through on goal in the 89th minute. It was obviously offside, and I threw up my hand, like you would if you playing a game irl.

So its not just me? Thank God.

Funny story irl about this very thing. Was watching my sister play high school soccer (forgot to mention that I'm also a referee), referee on the field was 20 yards out of position (2-man system), raise my hand for offsides, end up almost getting sent off (mind you I was a spectator). Managed to argue so much that I offered to ref the game as a replacement for him, only after I showered him in every insult that I use when playing FM.

- went out and got drunk after losing the Champions League final... people stared.

- during matches I pace all around the room as if I'm on the sideline.

- lost two years of college 'cuz Worcester City had to get European silverware...

- writing imaginary letters to the EU to let Serbia join, because I need those three regens from Partizan.

I do a lot of the things that have been mentioned here. Although the cat sees me turn the laptop on and runs off hiding due to the amount of times I've sworn at her etc after things have gone badly for my team. I also curse at the top of my voice. I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained yet.

Hands gestures are very usual for me, i tend to:

1.Make a booking sign to the referee when i get any of my players harshly fouled, as to tell him to book them.

2.Make a "finishing" sign with both my hands, when the time goes over the added time and i like the result, telling him to finish the match already.

3.I do celebrate with my fist and hand when scoring an important goal or clap for a nice goal.

4.What i suspected myself on however, is during some very important matches, when my team scored at 90th+ minute(which they do often, cause whenever i don't like the result, i go all-out with 5 attackers), i've had myself running around the room and house jumping just like Mourinho.

I did this yesterday. My mom started to laugh at me. The only difference is that I do this whenever my team scores. I hope she'll mock me a lot, then :D

1 - Celebrate every goal like it was a CL final (waving hands, shouting, jumping and running around the room is always an option, a sad one I know)

2 - Sing my favorite player's name loud enough to annoy the others at home (see some posts above)

3 - Another FM lunatic and I had a 6 seasons save. He went with Chelsea and I chose Barcelona. We both are Sporting Lisbon fans and we waved the club's flag whenever we had important matches. Two CL finals against each other, one title to each.

4 - The Champions League song was played before important games

5 - I send e-mails to him when I win something (sent one today)

6 - Talk to the ass man (basically every time I think of FM) - Sometimes the ass man is my dog

7 - Having notes taken at the toilet about tactics and transfer targets

8 - Screaming at a player if I see he left an opposition player unmarked

9 - Doing the "let me hear you" movement to a rival's fans when we score. Also the "silence" sign is done quite frequently, specially if the opposition's manager has talked trash about me or my team.

10 - Tell all your friends about your transfer history no matter how many seasons you played - You remember all of them

11 - Do the same thing about your trophies

12 - Use every single argument to explain why do you love FM so much

Generally punching stuff when the other team scores, only really happens if its a long range screamer, or in the last 10 mins of a game. I did once punch a hole in the wall....

The legendary fist pump when someone scores, followed by making up chants for my best players!

Swearing at individual players for mistakes and telling them, i hate them, if its a bad performance i normally say "ha well your not gettin payed for 2 weeks so its your loss!"

i wonder why people aren't stopping me in the street when im on a Middlesbrough saved game and we are kicking arse, i have a habit of telling my other half everything i'm upto, and mates at work and wonder why they aren;t as enthusiastic as i'am....often jump up and spin ina circle when score, and leave the room at penalty shoot outs.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived