Things you know you have taken too far when playing FM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i constantly do interviews and press in my head while at work, also think about players to sign and formations tweeks!

Once i even had a convo with mates talking about Norwich beating leeds 2-0 at ellend road forgettin it was in Fm and we lost 2-1 irl lol!

All of the above apply to me i can honestly say i am an FM Addict. I even brought the game knowing that my laptop was broken and may have never been fixed as i don't have the money. Then spent 3 hours taking it apart myself (never done this before) just to try and play the game. It worked:D

I also shout abuse at the linesman when i think a player is offside even when they are not and often verbally abuse anyone that i feel has done something wrong to my team.

You know you are addicted when you are still up at 6 in the morning because you are on a winning streak and you feel you should just play on more game even though you have been doing that since midnight!

I tend to do that, with goals conceeded from a clearly onside position (I'm just looking out for my players afterall) and also goals ruled out from marginally offside positions (''THERE WAS NO DAYLIGHT YOU BLIND TW@T'' or ''GIVE ADVANTAGE TO THE FCUKING ATTACKER'').

I've done the odd all nighter just to keep a good run going - too many times have I been on a 10 game unbeaten run, only to load up the next day and lose 5 in a row !!!!!! Plus the odd very-late night is the best way to knock out a whole season in less than 24 hours :D

I've had my flatmates thinking I had went completely insane after a player got sent off 10 minutes into a title decider which I lost to Arsenal in FM07 chucking stuff around the room, when I calmed down I signed the player up to a 5 year deal then stuck him in the reserves training only strength and aerobic so when he f**ked off after the contract he was finished as a player. That still makes the blood boil thinking about it.

I also will sell a player instantly if he signs for / talks up Man Utd or Celtic in real life. I remember running home from work at lunch to sell Anderson from my Newcastle squad when he signed for the filth, even though he was my best player, as I couldn't stand the afternoon in work knowing he was still in my squad.

I tend to do that, with goals conceeded from a clearly onside position (I'm just looking out for my players afterall) and also goals ruled out from marginally offside positions (''THERE WAS NO DAYLIGHT YOU BLIND TW@T'' or ''GIVE ADVANTAGE TO THE FCUKING ATTACKER'').

I've done the odd all nighter just to keep a good run going - too many times have I been on a 10 game unbeaten run, only to load up the next day and lose 5 in a row !!!!!! Plus the odd very-late night is the best way to knock out a whole season in less than 24 hours :D

Totally! There's times I've loaded my game, lost a couple then left it for a few hours before starting up again in the hope I'll start wiunning again.

Well there tends to be lots of body language and arm movements during my AC Milan games:

- Head held between hands (sending offs, going behind by a goal late in the game)

- Raised, shaking fist (taking the lead against smaller team)

- Both fists held in front of body, shaking (taking the lead in an important game or against rival team)

- The eyeroll (realizing that we're going to lose the game)

- Arms held open (having a goal wrongly disallowed for offside)

- The eyeroll combined with arms held open (conceding after ref failed to call offside)

- The wave-off (missed pass or crucial tackle)

- Both arms in the air (winning a tight, important game)

- The thinking man, chin resting on fist (worried about how the match is proceeding)

The funniest thing I do though, is when we score a brilliant goal in a big game, and I do the rope-pull mentioned earlier in this thread, and then turn my head to the side to look at my assistant manager :D

Some of these are brilliant but without blowing my own trumpet I may have the most painful 1!

After conceding a late equaliser against Pompey in a massive game at St Mary's (obviously I was Saints) I punched my knee and managed to break my little knuckle on my right hand!

Imagine the embarrassment explaining what happened to the nurse at the hospital :(

I never buy players from Celtic regardless of what team I am play as. I have been know to start a new save as Celtic and sell all members of the first team squad for £0 whilst playing possibly the worst ever formation known to man... I then sit back and watch as SuperCaleyGoBalisticCelticAreAtrocious.

Who said that there is no place for real life prejudices in FM

Some of these are brilliant but without blowing my own trumpet I may have the most painful 1!

After conceding a late equaliser against Pompey in a massive game at St Mary's (obviously I was Saints) I punched my knee and managed to break my little knuckle on my right hand!

Imagine the embarrassment explaining what happened to the nurse at the hospital :(

I once bruised my head playing Pro Evo 3, I was getting really frustrated with the computer blatantly cheating! So I headbutted my Controller Pad at the bottom, and then had to walk around school for 2 weeks with a massive blue bruise smack in the middle of my forehead :p

I once bruised my head playing Pro Evo 3, I was getting really frustrated with the computer blatantly cheating! So I headbutted my Controller Pad at the bottom, and then had to walk around school for 2 weeks with a massive blue bruise smack in the middle of my forehead :p

lmao Ok that would be embarrassing

If im managing in a foreign country, I often go Steve McClaren and spend my time speaking in a horrible accent.

Quality!!! My last long term LLM game started out in Sweden, so I imagined taking my team talks really slowly so the players could understand me ............... then grumbling about the frozen pitches when we suffered an injury during a match.

Also, the other day I was in partners (or whatever its called now) and I was considering buying a little white board to plan out my formations :p

I started playing CM/FM when i was about 12ish (i'm 23), and with the exception of a few editions still am now. To this day I am still often caught celebrating 'manager style' by several people. It started with my mum followed by 'what on earth is wrong with you' then my flat mate with 'Its not real' and finally from the missus who gives a blank look of dispair and i know that in her head she is saying 'i've picked the wrong man' but i dont care...i won the CL with southend for god sake! which of course is much better :)

I have at times refused to watch the monitor when it is a penalty shootout.

i do this myself

Well there tends to be lots of body language and arm movements during my AC Milan games:

- Head held between hands (sending offs, going behind by a goal late in the game)

- Both fists held in front of body, shaking (taking the lead in an important game or against rival team)

- The eyeroll combined with arms held open (conceding after ref failed to call offside)

- The thinking man, chin resting on fist (worried about how the match is proceeding)

The funniest thing I do though, is when we score a brilliant goal in a big game, and I do the rope-pull mentioned earlier in this thread, and then turn my head to the side to look at my assistant manager :D

i do these all the time along with swear at my players constantly for conceding easy goals and when player x passes back to the goalkeepr from the half way line under no pressure only to concede a corner.

I curse my guys at the top of my voice when they do ****ups, slam the desk and take bad performances very personally, lol, which is a very classic example of nerd rage I reckon ^^. On the other side of the spectrum, I jump up and down my chair celebrating a goal or get up and high five myself or somesuch, because it's just the nature of the game of football for me that gets me all worked up, on PC or watching on TV.

In my book, it's what seperates a good game from a great game - a great game gets you emotionally involved, no matter if it's a football sim, rpg, shooter or strategy game. So it's all good :thup:

I do all this. :o

e.g. Wearing a suit when your teams plays its cup final :cool:

give me your examples ;)

I gave a cracking press conference in my head on the way to work this morning when some muppet of a journalist suggested that I was interested in signing Juan Pablo Angel from New York Red Bulls. Rinsed the idiot out by demonstrating that I'd never bought a player over 23, and my purchases have been 95% English!!

What a sad git I am...

I have a little sponge football and when I score I kick it around and kick the ball towards the door and run around screaming GOAL!

I once was playing my brother at fm09 and he was Liverpool I was Manchester united He beat me in the 90th minute from the penalty spot, I was so angry cursing the ref then I managed to punch my big brother in the eye leaving him with a black eye...

Good times!

This thread is sheer brilliance! I'm not going to mention all my things, since I see they are all posted already :)

Thanks guys, I had put aside FM10 for a while, but now I feel like playing it the whole night!

haha! I'm glad i could help you, i never expected so much response, i was just being silly but it appears I'm very much not alone! Like someone pointed out earlier this sort of thing is exactly why FM is so good and completely original over any other game. :D

talking yourself through what is wrong with your tactics and how to stop leaking goals out loud on a train with a notepad on your lap drawing circles and lines for runs etc.

Got a few wierd looks

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. FM is a serious business, and the other passengers will understand.

I do all of these, much to my better half's bemusement.

Do all these too :D haha... also been playing so much recently i dreamt Messi was transfer listed for £1.5m and wanted to join me at Wimbledon :o

- Giving the opposing player the w*****r hand sign if he has a goal disallowed for offside of a foul etc...

- I try to imagine what my real life attributes would be (not bad at long throws, maybe a 12-13?)

- When I score against a big team in an important matches, arms flailing around in the air with excitement and then nervous giggling as I change my tactics to ultra defensive and mega time wasting!

Hands gestures are very usual for me, i tend to:

1.Make a booking sign to the referee when i get any of my players harshly fouled, as to tell him to book them.

2.Make a "finishing" sign with both my hands, when the time goes over the added time and i like the result, telling him to finish the match already.

3.I do celebrate with my fist and hand when scoring an important goal or clap for a nice goal.

4.What i suspected myself on however, is during some very important matches, when my team scored at 90th+ minute(which they do often, cause whenever i don't like the result, i go all-out with 5 attackers), i've had myself running around the room and house jumping just like Mourinho.

When it's half past one in the morning, you've only been in the house an hour, the wife says, right, I'm off to bed, you reply, I'm just checking the e-mail. As soon as she's upstairs, you fire up FM, as I have have just done! It'll be gone 4 again this morning, and I'll still be swearing at the screen!

I have at times refused to watch the monitor when it is a penalty shootout.
I never watch penalty shootouts.

Same here. i actually turn the monitor off for 20 seconds so i cant watch it.

I used to punch the wall when things were going badly, not doing that so much now that i am older and supposedly wiser.

Spending all my time at work on here getting information on new players, tactics and features. (don't think i have done a single piece of work so far this week)

On FM06, I got in Tommy Hoiland who scored 200 goals in 5 seasons for my Kristiansund BK side. Then he left on a free to Lazio.

I screamed at the TV "YOU CAN'T LEAVE!! I MADE YOU!!! YOU'D BE **** WITHOUT ME, YOU MONEY-GRABBING T**T!!!"

Changed his nickname to 'Money Grabbing T**T too

I sometimes get surprised when I think its like 1am and it turns out to be 5am, and ofc I do a end of season review speach in my "foreign steve mclaren" voice, " tis been a very gud season ya no, the team bonded well, scored a few, won a few cups here n there ya no, managin in london is difficult but abramavichs money makes me a better manager ya no" etc

Sometimes I feel a need to explain my decision to the fans when I buy someone that wants to use the club as a stepping stone to something bigger.

Spending all my time at work on here getting information on new players, tactics and features. (don't think i have done a single piece of work so far this week)

Yeah, me too >_>

Go out the backyard , Put my first letter of my first and last name on my football jacket by stapling paper on there then proceed to have a training session with them pretending im talking to them and having a chat with the lads when low and behold....Im there by myself :)

Archived