Match 21: Tunisia vs Australia - 10am GMT BBC1 live from the Al Janoub Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

It's the Al Janoub Stadium again, where Australia lost their first game of the World Cup against France

Table

image.png.14d9afbcbd7d42017aa468cb45f32064.png

Tunisia

Pretty much a must win for them with France still to play. I thought they looked decent against Denmark so I make them favourites today.

Australia

A draw might be an OK result, but a win gives them more options for the Denmark game

Teams

Fieq-UUXkAAYrYl?format=png&name=smallFierDh9XkAA7bjp?format=png&name=small

TV Coverage

Chappers presenting with Rush, Scott and the Schwarzer. Commentary from Vicki Sparks and Danny Murphy (I'm so so sorry).

Head to Head

Tunisia beat Australia 2-0 at the 2005 Confederations Cup.

The match we were ALL waiting for. :p

Genuinely one of the toughest matches to call. Predicted a 2-1 win for Australia, but wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way. Tunisia looked very well organised in their opener.

Tough to call this one. Before a ball was kicked I fancied Tunisia to sneak through this group, but Australia looked better than I expected when they lost to France. Draw doesn’t help either side much so hopefully it opens up and it’s better than last nights game :D 

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Tough to call this one. Before a ball was kicked I fancied Tunisia to sneak through this group, but Australia looked better than I expected when they lost to France. Draw doesn’t help either side much so hopefully it opens up and it’s better than last nights game :D 

I thought yesterday was decent (before we stank the place out :D ) so I'm hoping the second round of games are when teams really start to open up.

Tunisia another side in the ‘Scotland’ club. Multiple qualifications but never reached the knockout stage - 1978, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2018.

Never seemed to get mentioned as contenders in the same breath as your Senegals and Nigerias and Ivory Coasts. But they keep turning up when it’s tough to qualify. They must be doing something right.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I'm hoping the second round of games are when teams really start to open up.

On paper, today is the best day so far. Surely? France v Denmark and Argentina v Mexico. Plus the Saudis again, who can now go through early if they beat a lacklustre Poland.

13 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Vicki Sparks and Danny Murphy (I'm so so sorry).

Vicki Sparks isn't too bad, better than some certainly 

8 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Lets see if we make page 2 with this one :D 

I wasn't sure you were even going to make kick off

14 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Never seemed to get mentioned as contenders in the same breath as your Senegals and Nigerias and Ivory Coasts. But they keep turning up when it’s tough to qualify. They must be doing something right.

People go for star names, can't really think of any outstanding Tunisia players past or present.

13 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Tunisia another side in the ‘Scotland’ club. Multiple qualifications but never reached the knockout stage - 1978, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2018.

Tunisia has never had the really big stars like the ones you mentioned, or Ghana, Egypt, Algeria etc. They are also never favourites for the AFCON (they won once on home soil in 2004), but usually makes it to the quarterfinals at least.

They are not a spectacular team to watch, but they are well organized in the defence and have good fighting spirit, and in generally play "smarter" than many of the more spectacular teams in Africa. 

4 minutes ago, Mahzun_Savas said:

We are definitely better than Qatar so we are the fifth perhaps. Still definitely far behind Japan and Saudi Arabia and probably Iran and South Korea as well.

I got us above Iran. Definitely behind the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

With Oceania now guaranteed a spot at every World Cup is there any chance of Australia going back or do the benefits of playing in Asia outweigh that?

Is that a recent change? I don't see the point of us going back since we don't get any quality games there. Far better for everyone to just roll Oceania into Asia.

Just now, Divinity said:

Is that a recent change? I don't see the point of us going back since we don't get any quality games there. Far better for everyone to just roll Oceania into Asia.

Yeah when it goes up to 48 in 2026, Oceania are guaranteed one spot (and could in theory get a second team in through the playoffs but that feels unlikely :D )

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

With Oceania now guaranteed a spot at every World Cup is there any chance of Australia going back or do the benefits of playing in Asia outweigh that?

It’s hard to see they would ever miss out on qualifying from Asia though, because as well as Oceania getting a guaranteed spot, Asia is going from 4.5 to 8.5

In general, I’m quite supportive of them going up to 48 teams but Asia is probably the one part of the world where letting more teams in dilutes the quality.

8th/9th best in Asia and you start hitting teams like Iraq, Oman and Syria. If they went back to Oceania, probably more chance of Australia losing the automatic spot to NZ than losing out to one of those. So maybe they are still better off where they are.

It doen't make any sense for the to switch back. They'll be basicly guranteed a spot through the AFC qualification, while it would come down to two games against NZ in Oceania. And although Australia would win most of them, I could easely see NZ grabbing the spot every now and then. And than Austarlia would have to play playoffs against a team from South America, and we know how that usually goes.