Jersey Numbering: DCR as n.2...

Some useless yet interesting trivia question here...  As a child, I learned jersey numbering from an old uncle who was an amateur player in 1960s Brazil, as follows:

DCR is n.2
DCL is n.3
DR is n.4
DL is n.5.
DM is n.6
Attacking positions are numbered the same as today.

I still use this system, even as this seems old-school and unusual. 

I wonder if such numbering was unique to South America in 1950s/1960s?...

Any bits of information or history are appreciated.

:kriss:

Edited by phd_angel

Back in the 50s and 60s, in the UK there was a 3-2 5 system of formation'

Right full back 2- Centre half back-5-Left full back 3

Right half back-4 Left half back 6

Outside right 7-Inside right 8-Centre forward 9-Inside left 10-and Outside left 11

Since I was a teenager in the 80-90s in Italy, I remember something like that:

1 Goalkeeper

2 Right back (tight marking the small forward of opponents)

3 Left Back with license to going forward, crossing etc

4 Defensive midfielder, it could be a box to box or a defensive midfielder marking opponent 10s

5 Central Defender

6 Libero

7 Right wing, covering all the right flank

8 Regista, the playmaker of the team

9 Striker

10 Rifinitore (enganche) or Trequartista 

11 Left wing, it was a forward ofter left footed, scoring a lot (for instance Giuseppe Signori)

In England, in a now traditional 4–4–2 formation, the standard numbering is usually: 2 (right fullback), 5, 6, 3 (left fullback); 4 (defensive midfielder), 7 (right midfielder), 8 (central/attacking midfielder), 11 (left midfielder); 10 (second/support striker), 9 (striker).

From wikipedia it's what I usually go for.

I would like to ask to the English forumers about shirt numbering in 80s and early nineties:

- I remember that in Dino Dino's masterpiece Kick Off the RB had shirt no. 3 and LB had shirt no. 2. It was like that also in real football or they were reversed only in the game?

- in Italy the no. 10 was always or enganche or trequartista or in some cases the playmaker of the team, in England it was a striker right? I remember Teddy Sheringam, for instance.

14 hours ago, Delvi said:

I would like to ask to the English forumers about shirt numbering in 80s and early nineties:

- I remember that in Dino Dino's masterpiece Kick Off the RB had shirt no. 3 and LB had shirt no. 2. It was like that also in real football or they were reversed only in the game?

- in Italy the no. 10 was always or enganche or trequartista or in some cases the playmaker of the team, in England it was a striker right? I remember Teddy Sheringam, for instance.

10 was a playmaker forward/deep lying forward, so Sheringham, Rooney etc or the small forward in a front 2 where the 9 was a target man - Owen, Defoe for example.

2 hours ago, Harper said:

The Wikipedia Page on squad numbers does a decent job of illustrating historical squad numbering and listing out national variations.

Thank you! 

It seems that my weird defense numbering was indeed used in 1960s Argentina in some shape or form. How curious...