Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the right thread for discussing penalties but do you have "get stuck in" setting on? Hard tackling on some players? Tight marking? High aggression attribute on players who cause penalties? 

Edited by Pasonen

3 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

This is not ne right thread for discussing penalties but do you have "get stuck in" setting on? Hard tackling on some players? Tight marking? High aggression attribute on players who cause penalties? 

My bad, where is the correct place? I want to show it as feedback to reflect the poor nature of the ME. 

Secondly, I don't have any of the settings that you've written apart from closing down on 'extremely urgent' but if that translates to pulling players down in the box consistently then it's farcical. Also, primarily from indirect free-kicks? High Pressing is just that, high pressing, not fouling inside the box from a cross.  

Your teams goals conceded is the smallest  in the league. If penalties come from indirect freekicks try training defending freekicks. Matchengine could think condeding from freekicks and penalties are the most propable goals against you. Correct forum is tactics or bugs matchengine forum.

2 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

Your teams goals conceded is the smallest  in the league. If penalties come from indirect freekicks try training defending freekicks. Matchengine could think condeding from freekicks and penalties are the most propable goals against you. Correct forum is tactics or bugs matchengine forum.

I guess training defensive free-kicks is the best option. 

2 hours ago, dolph11 said:

There was a lot of talk about penalties in particularly early on FM 2020. Some players experienced this, some less, and it seemed more pronounced in certain leagues (referee attribute research?). I'd expect the ref attributes in leagues as small as yours to be wholly randomized at the start of the game to begin with.. Haven't seen such a thing since, but may be worth a look.

As an an optional ado to the 16 games, and this goes for any kind of statistical analysis: Sample size. 

I thought it was Wolves back then but I got that wrong, but still as an example of curiosities over small/er samples. In the 2017/2018 Season, Crystal Palace lost their first seven games on the bounce, failing to score a single Goal from the first 90-100 shots in that Season. Even if they'd all have been from poorer chances or exclusively set pieces, you'd expect there to be a deflection of something, but nada. But then even from the quality, things were rather curious…

Despite this start into the season, Crystal Palace still managed to finish 11th, and a Closer statistical Analysis suggested their Performance had been better than their results even during that spell. The "Turnaround" of fortunes came too late for de Boer, however. This is the same story in any sports, however football is even more curious as it's such a ridiculously low scoring affair (not for lack of trying mind) -- and even if a team would be truly all over an opposition, they oft lead by no more than two points, er goals.

Edited by Svenc

2 hours ago, dolph11 said:

Hi Dolph,

This happens to me all the time as well. An in-direct free kick ends up either being a penalty or a goal most of the time. Not too much you can actually do about it! 

1 minute ago, Nathozz said:

Hi Dolph,

This happens to me all the time as well. An in-direct free kick ends up either being a penalty or a goal most of the time. Not too much you can actually do about it! 

how many penalties and in direct free kick have u conceded from your total conceded goals?

29 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

how many penalties and in direct free kick have u conceded from your total conceded goals?

Indirect free-kicks I have no idea but it was 5 from 9 goals regarding penalties. Strangely enough I didn't commit another foul in the box for the remaining 6 games, I didn't change my training schedule either. 5 pens conceded in 22 games isn't excessive at all but it came across as unpreventable. Anyhow, onto the Icelandic Prem.

Edited by dolph11

18 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think I've conceded a penalty from an indirect free kick once ever in FM20. Unsurprisingly it was Phil Jones

Typical! Surprised you didn't concede more with him being in your team! 

4 minutes ago, dolph11 said:

Typical! Surprised you didn't concede more with him being in your team! 

After that I didn't give him the opportunity for more. 

Might be worth watching who gives pens  away and their attributes as well as any instructions you've got. I don't give many  away in open play either but when I have done it's been Casemiro and Brandon williams, who have a combination of relatively high aggression and "dives into tackles", coupled with some robust team and opposition instructions on top from me ( though it's a cost I'm willing to pay given the overall success of the system).

Could also be that or could be players not concentrating either when it comes to set pieces. I used the default ones for defending indirect free kicks so can't offer you any system help there. 

Otherwise worth uploading the incidents as PKMs to the bugs section, Jack and co can always take a look and double check there's nothing off in the code. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

After that I didn't give him the opportunity for more. 

Might be worth watching who gives pens  away and their attributes as well as any instructions you've got. I don't give many  away in open play either but when I have done it's been Casemiro and Brandon williams, who have a combination of relatively high aggression and "dives into tackles", coupled with some robust team and opposition instructions on top from me ( though it's a cost I'm willing to pay given the overall success of the system).

Could also be that or could be players not concentrating either when it comes to set pieces. I used the default ones for defending indirect free kicks so can't offer you any system help there. 

Otherwise worth uploading the incidents as PKMs to the bugs section, Jack and co can always take a look and double check there's nothing off in the code. 

I'll see how it goes in the more competitive league. I practically scraped promotion so expecting relegation but should the same thing happen I'll keep an eye out for persistent offender and their attributes/PPM's.

9 saat önce, zyfon5 said:

U do realize his suggestions is how most teams play football in real life right?

I think by real life you mean ALL the national (51) leagues. Not just top teams. Sure there is 1 engine for all. 

Problem  it seems for me not about poor communication with the Devs -they respond well and friendly- but the solution about how goals scored and how attributes will be better presented in future ME(s).

Edited by baris28

There are 2 Root Problems in the ME

1. Player creates too many chances in terms of Stats.

2. AI inability to create chances for itself and Stopping Player creating too many chances

Players aren't allowing too many chances for AI means it has to get other means to score goals and that is why i believe we have so many Goals scored similarly and probably linked with AI extreme Efficiency against Player teams.

Penalty / DFK/IFK / Corner / Cross / Defender getting closed down by AI Player by dallying on ball for too long are most type of goals are scored . In all these only Crosses needed chances to be created and this is why i believe that Game is stuck with Scoring Goals differently. If ME can't create chances how it can score goals is the question. I hope Devs has answer for this.  

1 hour ago, ferrarinseb said:

2. AI inability to create chances for itself and Stopping Player creating too many chances

I agree 1/2. These happen partly because AI plays more defensive and in its current state more cautious mentalities dont produce chances. This is because long balls behind defline is "fixed". Like you know I have watched a lot of full games and one of the main reasons cautious mentalities dont produce chances is middlefield dont know how to pass progressively. One-twos, short pass into passes missing. Play get stuck in own half or is cleared  out. Atm most effectice way of getting ball up is running with it. Everyone knows this is not how it should be. Now theres only Penalty / DFK/IFK / Corner / Cross / Defender making mistakes goals left like you said. This makes game boring and repetive. Attacking mentalities take more risks and play higher tempo, move men higher and pressure more and get more chances. A lot to say but not my native language. :/

Edited by Pasonen

27 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

I agree 1/2. These happen partly because AI plays more defensive and in its current state more cautious mentalities dont produce chances. This is because long balls behind defline is "fixed". Like you know I have watched a lot of full games and one of the main reasons cautious mentalities dont produce chances is middlefield dont know how to pass progressively. One-twos, short pass into passes missing. Play get stuck in own half or is cleared  out. Atm most effectice way of getting ball up is running with it. Everyone knows this is not how it should be. Now theres only Penalty / DFK/IFK / Corner / Cross / Defender making mistakes goals left like you said. This makes game boring and repetive. Attacking mentalities take more risks and play higher tempo, move men higher and pressure more and get more chances. A lot to say but not my native language. :/

Dude, I have a second language, let me tell you, your non-native language puts mine to shame! 

Edited by dolph11

1 hour ago, ferrarinseb said:

Players aren't allowing too many chances for AI means it has to get other means to score goals and that is why i believe we have so many Goals scored similarly and probably linked with AI extreme Efficiency against Player teams.

Penalty / DFK/IFK / Corner / Cross / Defender getting closed down by AI Player by dallying on ball for too long are most type of goals are scored . In all these only Crosses needed chances to be created and this is why i believe that Game is stuck with Scoring Goals differently. If ME can't create chances how it can score goals is the question. I hope Devs has answer for this.  

For problem 1 part of it is due to players a lot of the times. Just look at one of the previous screenshots in this thread. On first glance, 38 shots to 7 shots seems like complete domination. But look closely the player team has only around 360 passes but managed to generate 38 shots meaning that he don't even need 10 passes to take one shot. And he has like 22 free kicks and 11 corners. How many of them do u think are actual good chances? No wonder he struggle to score goals. And we all know by now the game dun really know what is a clear cut chance since it can't calculate xG.

For problem 2 does the AI really struggle to create chances to score goals? Ask any person who experienced AI needing only 4 shots to score one goal and u quickly see the answer is no. shot numbers dun equate to chances. However what I have found is AI strikers seems to really struggle to get good chances which leads to low shots on target per 90 across all leagues. But that is a tactical problem and not a ME problem as I have not found AI strikers outperforming their expected goal numbers.

Regarding the extraordinary amount of set pieces and penalities unless someone post a statistics comparison I will always be in doubt. Own perception is not a good evidence.

3 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

For problem 2 does the AI really struggle to create chances to score goals? Ask any person who experienced AI needing only 4 shots to score one goal and u quickly see the answer is no. shot numbers dun equate to chances. However what I have found is AI strikers seems to really struggle to get good chances which leads to low shots on target per 90 across all leagues. But that is a tactical problem and not a ME problem as I have not found AI strikers outperforming their expected goal numbers.

Additionally, it is useless to look at this in isolated matches. That's not going to tell you anything. This has happened before -- AI tactics once were so rigidly defensive, they never to rarely created a shot from open play, as they never pushed enough players forward (everybody and their mom on "defend" duty). Thus, they tended to exclusively score from the set piece (or a fluke/error/bug), and being so focused on defending, always from few shots -- that is, if they did. It's going to happen. The perception of this was that the AI had an edge here. It did not. Most players vastly outperformed it without realizing. Mostly the AI didn't even score to begin with. One can only work out actual conversion ratios over a fully season. It doesn't make any sense to look at this over individual matches. Unless you manage to concede zero shots, you will concede goals. Simple law of sports. Simple logics. Sometimes it may happen at worse moments, sometimes not so much.

As to the set pieces, FM has had too many shots off them since a couple seasons already. In football, it is not unheard of for a team having ~30 shots against a team inevitably "parking the bus", but 80-90%+ of those still from open positional play. Take a look for example on Whoscored's breakdown of Liverpool-Burney in 2017 for instance (was still a draw, btw, but then Pool had almost  zero shots within the Golden Zone from between the posts, and within 12 yards of that). If anybody can show ANY FM match where that is the case once, ... and that in any release of the past five+ years. If that is the case, it should be expected that there were more goals off set piece play, actually. A set piece comes about because an open play move gets "defended" in some way. This could only be properly balanced if there was a distinction made in the statistical soak tests by SI, plus naturally, tweaking the defending and attacking of open play moves / set pieces.

Edited by Svenc

My strikers statisctics after 12 games

Shoots - 26, on target - 17, goals - 4 (2 penalty)

Shots 39, on target - 17, goals - 1

Fernando Torres Manager 2020 :seagull::mad:

335dfca27d3bb982586b6bcd185b3a44.jpg

Who the best team striker? WB :brock:

Edited by Novem9

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

My strikers statisctics after 12 games

Shoots - 26, on target - 17, goals - 4 (2 penalty)

Shots 39, on target - 17, goals - 1

Fernando Torres Manager 2020 :seagull::mad:

335dfca27d3bb982586b6bcd185b3a44.jpg

Who the best team striker? WB :brock:

u do realize that 12 games is an extremely small sample size right? come back when they have played more than 1800 minutes and post your statistics again. i will love to see them. from the small sample size, ur strikers are still not shooting enough nor getting enough shots on target to be a consistent scorer that scores more than 0.5 goals per 90 whatever tactics that u are playing. so most probably a tactical problem. kindly head over to the tactics forum if u need some help.

1 час назад, zyfon5 сказал:

u do realize that 12 games is an extremely small sample size right? come back when they have played more than 1800 minutes and post your statistics again. i will love to see them. from the small sample size, ur strikers are still not shooting enough nor getting enough shots on target to be a consistent scorer that scores more than 0.5 goals per 90 whatever tactics that u are playing. so most probably a tactical problem. kindly head over to the tactics forum if u need some help.

Take into account that I'm 1st place with 7th by media prediction I think that I dont need some help right now.

Despite this statistics could be short (but this is 1/3 of season btw) this is not possible to ignore that my strikers have extra-super-mega-superb chances which they missed systematically. All of them - from short distance, my current team have 0-5 long shots for game (really surprised how FM20 is good in this)

Yes I changed some details and looks like it give me more profit for strikers (and I know how and why it happens), but its not about tactics. Its about strikers missed almost all clear chances from games I played (and WB scored from almost the same positions lol) For WB no problem for shoot past GK, but for striker this is real problem :idiot:

1 hour ago, zyfon5 said:

Dude, everyone and their grandparents knows that this is the case for 90% of the players. Strikers are just off in this edition

9 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Dude, everyone and their grandparents knows that this is the case for 90% of the players. Strikers are just off in this edition

U want me to post strikers statistics from my save here? I guess I'm the lucky 10% then. Why not post ur strikers stats here? Interested to look at it.

1 minute ago, zyfon5 said:

U want me to post strikers statistics from my save here? I guess I'm the lucky 10% then. Why not post ur strikers stats here? Interested to look at it.

I gave up on this joke of a game a long time ago and play FM17 ;)

P.S Scoring from set pieces and penalties, etc is not my jam

Edited by SebastianRO

11 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Take into account that I'm 1st place with 7th by media prediction I think that I dont need some help right now.

Despite this statistics could be short (but this is 1/3 of season btw) this is not possible to ignore that my strikers have extra-super-mega-superb chances which they missed systematically. All of them - from short distance, my current team have 0-5 long shots for game (really surprised how FM20 is good in this)

Yes I changed some details and looks like it give me more profit for strikers (and I know how and why it happens), but its not about tactics. Its about strikers missed almost all clear chances from games I played (and WB scored from almost the same positions lol) For WB no problem for shoot past GK, but for striker this is real problem :idiot:

But u still need to look at the big picture though. Just one or two games off is not a good indication of something. And anything less than 1800 minutes in football is nothing significant in terms of statistics. If ur strikers are indeed underperforming for a long period, it will show itself in stats. Can u post an update of ur striker statistics? And as I have mentioned in another thread, even top strikers miss a lot of chances. U can check all the players that have missed big chances in the epl. Most of them are top 20 goalscorers in the epl too.

4 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

I gave up on this joke of a game a long time ago and play FM17 ;)

P.S Scoring from set pieces and penalties, etc is not my jam

Then post ur stats from fm17 or ur previous saved game from fm20. It doesn't matter. Just make sure the sample size is more than 1800 minutes. Just want to collect some data here.

5 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

Then post ur stats from fm17 or ur previous saved game from fm20. It doesn't matter. Just make sure the sample size is more than 1800 minutes. Just want to collect some data here.

What kind of stats are you interested in ? I will post them. BTW, football is not all about stats. It's this perception that gave us this horrible FM20 edition.

First of I really like how fluid the game feels during processing, no idea what happened but the entire game feels much more snappy and a good bit faster when it comes to the UI interaction and game processing of the days.

Second I really like some aspects of the ME in this version and some I really don't like. On the one hand there are some wonderful moves here and the football looks a lot closer to real life than it did in other versions of the game imo. On the other hand it's a bit annoying that so many goals seem to come from standards while my team can't score from the best chances and open shooting opportunities, most shots simply look like a pass back to the opposition goalkeeper. And it's not only me suffering from this. In my first season Liverpool scored 25 goals from idfk and 13 goals from corners. This season I have found a pretty good setup for standards and overall have only conceded 8 goals after 23 games. That being said I find the overall match engine experience in this version more entertaining than the one of FM19.

Third, I still think the interaction and press conference stuff is utter trash and easily the worst element I have ever encountered in any game, luckily you can bypass this but why there has been no update to the logic in that system, or you do the sensible thing and finally scrap that garbage system is beyond me. Alone the fact that so often I can't even answer what I would be answering irl and just have to pic the answer I know from experience will do the least amount of damage or get a positive reaction, makes this a system that is completely bereft of any fun or value to the overall experience. I know FM touch doesn't have all this but, well it also hasn't got a lot of stuff I find engaging and fun which makes it a bad trade off.

I know I'm late to the party but I really started late with FM20, so yeah this is my first impression of the game after 1 1/2 season played.

8 минут назад, zyfon5 сказал:

But u still need to look at the big picture though. Just one or two games off is not a good indication of something. And anything less than 1800 minutes in football is nothing significant in terms of statistics. If ur strikers are indeed underperforming for a long period, it will show itself in stats. Can u post an update of ur striker statistics? And as I have mentioned in another thread, even top strikers miss a lot of chances. U can check all the players that have missed big chances in the epl. Most of them are top 20 goalscorers in the epl too.

Updatet statistics - 24 games in league

Verhaar - 67(37) - 7 goals
Omarsson - 59(32) - 4 goals

LB - 25(15) - 4 goals
RB - 42(24) - 2 goals

CM - 30(16) - 5 goals

CAM - 21(10) - 2 goals

the striker player stats if u don't mind showing me. its fine if it didnt gave u a good perception. but perception is only a good argument when u are arguing something like animations in the game which i would admit is not up to par and not some fundamental statistics like goalscoring.

6 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Updatet statistics - 24 games in league

Verhaar - 67(37) - 7 goals
Omarsson - 59(32) - 4 goals

LB - 25(15) - 4 goals
RB - 42(24) - 2 goals

CM - 30(16) - 5 goals

CAM - 21(10) - 2 goals

can i safely assume that they started all the 24 games and have played more than 1800 minutes? and penalties are excluded from the goal count right?

Только что, zyfon5 сказал:

can i safely assume that they started all the 24 games and have played more than 1800 minutes? and penalties are excluded from the goal count right?

Of course not all games in first XI. I cant find a statistics about minutes, but V. has 23(1) and I dont know how many times he was changed but he did. O. has 16(3) because was injured and for sure I changed him sometimes too. But what a difference about minutes if I see shoots

Penalty - I checked - V. scored 1 penalty and second penalty scored CAM

35 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

the striker player stats if u don't mind showing me. its fine if it didnt gave u a good perception. but perception is only a good argument when u are arguing something like animations in the game which i would admit is not up to par and not some fundamental statistics like goalscoring.

This is from FM17 on a save that I have left for now, but what you will see, is from my "current" season, in January:

Striker

o5HmQQ6.jpg

Striker

j5uLlvf.jpg

No10 Playmaker

EhmjVNT.jpg

I use a 4-4-2 diamond narrow. Again, it's not just about statistics, but about overall play. In FM20, the strikers are USELESS in front of the goal and otherwise. They don't involve themselves in the build-up play as they do in other editions. Someone who's played both editions doesn't / shouldn't need screenshots / statistics as they would be able to spot the differences from a mile.

P.S In FM19 and FM20, even when the strikers did perform in a satisfacatory manner, it still felt bland and ... boring. It's a shame, because the improvements outside of the ME in FM19 and FM20 are nice (but not amazing) and I would like to have them in FM17 and FM18 (I only play these 2 editions atm), but sacrificing the core of the game (ME) for those improvements ? NO WAY.

Edited by SebastianRO

16 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

This is from FM17 on a save that I have left for now, but what you will see, is from my "current" season, in January:

Striker

o5HmQQ6.jpg

Striker

j5uLlvf.jpg

No10 Playmaker

EhmjVNT.jpg

I use a 4-4-2 diamond narrow. Again, it's not just about statistics, but about overall play. In FM20, the strikers are USELESS in front of the goal and otherwise. They don't involve themselves in the build-up play as they do in other editions. Someone who's played both editions doesn't / shouldn't need screenshots / statistics as they would be able to spot the differences from a mile.

i assume u are playing some sort of possession style just by looking the numbers here. Yes i do found strikers getting less involved in build up play in fm20 but that is for another topic though. goalscoring wise they are doing just fine. and from this screenshot alone u can see why ur strikers are scoring more than the previous poster-higher shot numbers and higher shot on target per 90, both are very crucial in terms of goal scoring. and Matt Flood is significantly outscoring Yuri for a reason despite a smaller sample size because he has an insane shots on target per 90 at 2.77 and higher shots per 90. if he can keep up with these numbers he will score at a rate of close to one goal per game. if he starts to drop off in goalscoring, his shots on target and shot numbers will also drop off. u can see if my predictions are true. good luck with your current save!

21 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

i assume u are playing some sort of possession style just by looking the numbers here. Yes i do found strikers getting less involved in build up play in fm20 but that is for another topic though. goalscoring wise they are doing just fine. and from this screenshot alone u can see why ur strikers are scoring more than the previous poster-higher shot numbers and higher shot on target per 90, both are very crucial in terms of goal scoring. and Matt Flood is significantly outscoring Yuri for a reason despite a smaller sample size because he has an insane shots on target per 90 at 2.77 and higher shots per 90. if he can keep up with these numbers he will score at a rate of close to one goal per game. if he starts to drop off in goalscoring, his shots on target and shot numbers will also drop off. u can see if my predictions are true. good luck with your current save!

Matt Flood is outscoring Yuri because Matt is a beast of a striker, while Yuri is a much more complete forward. When they play, they have very different roles. I don't know what your predictions are (my gripe is not with you, but with SI). I think the chase after real life statistics have led the game to this point. Hand on heart, when I watch an FM20 match on extended, the majority of the highlights are set pieces, some goal scoring chance created because of wing-play, etc. Repetitive to kingdom come and I really don't have patience for it. I believe FM17/18 have a much more real representation inside of the ME of real life tactics and interpretation of roles.

P.S Knowing how this franchise "evolved" in the last 2 years, I would have happily paid £200 for FM17, but because I paid only £40 .... i think it's the deal of a lifetime.

Edited by SebastianRO

So long story short I stopped playing 19 cause of this.
Decided to give 20 another try when it was launched on Game Pass and it's the same thing.
Was going to create a new thread about it on a Facebook group, another guy did it half an hour earlier.
Any Google search show dozens upon dozens of similar complaints.
I'm simply tired of seeing my players lose absurd goals, this match wasn't even the one where the difference was the largest and I still lost by one goal.
So I'm sincerely asking this.
Is this the new normal for FM?
Is this acceptable or on purpose?
Is this the way you found to create difficulty?
I would really, really, appreciate an answer.
Is there any hope of this ridiculous situation EVER getting patched or are you like acommodated, in a confortable situation without competition for this niche and I shouldn't bother literally wasting my time with FM anymore?

Sem título.png

Sometimes I really struggle to believe the staff at SI even play this game when I see the amount of AI set piece goals flying in. It's really upsetting when you miss out on the CL as a small club from a very small nation because you had loads of one on ones, but the AI scored their 2 set pieces in the last round qualifying. I mean what's the point in even playing? All those tactics go out of the window just because of two stupid set pieces. 

2 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

Sometimes I really struggle to believe the staff at SI even play this game when I see the amount of AI set piece goals flying in. It's really upsetting when you miss out on the CL as a small club from a very small nation because you had loads of one on ones, but the AI scored their 2 set pieces in the last round qualifying. I mean what's the point in even playing? All those tactics go out of the window just because of two stupid set pieces. 

It's been acknowledged by SI and you would assume it will be a priority fix for future versions. Not much more you can do at this point - maybe play an older version?

The defending free kicks really is embarrassingly bad and really does constitute to a broken ME, yet somehow it got looked past by the people who work on it. It really is incredible. I have suffered with this in two saved games now where I was advised it was my defenders' attributes. Nope, it's another ME problem. It's a game-breaker, without a doubt. 

The whole game is busted frankly. 

Even if they fix set-pieces, one on ones are broken beyond belief. It's like they seriously don't play the game and don't see how awful the ME is. 

Anyway I get it, I'm a broken record around here. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

The whole game is busted frankly. 

Even if they fix set-pieces, one on ones are broken beyond belief. It's like they seriously don't play the game and don't see how awful the ME is. 

Anyway I get it, I'm a broken record around here. 

I think SI have acknowledged the ME flaws in this edition, without spelling it out word for word. There's enough people on here giving the same gripes - and SI themselves must surely be seeing it playing it day by day. 

It's been said to death on here, but it's such a shame how this game turned out as outside the ME it is the best it has ever been (IMO anyway) - but I can still go back 2/3 editions and find more enjoyment there because the matches are most important to me, they are the result of all the work I put into the game - all the training, tactical and player development, motivation, signings.etc - all my work plays out on the pitch; but when that is depicted in the most limited way possible (FM20), it's one big safety pin to a balloon of excitement. 

2 hours ago, Kingstontom88 said:

I think SI have acknowledged the ME flaws in this edition, without spelling it out word for word. There's enough people on here giving the same gripes - and SI themselves must surely be seeing it playing it day by day. 

It's been said to death on here, but it's such a shame how this game turned out as outside the ME it is the best it has ever been (IMO anyway) - but I can still go back 2/3 editions and find more enjoyment there because the matches are most important to me, they are the result of all the work I put into the game - all the training, tactical and player development, motivation, signings.etc - all my work plays out on the pitch; but when that is depicted in the most limited way possible (FM20), it's one big safety pin to a balloon of excitement. 

The point is that the more you play the game, the more certain things become obvious. You aren't playing Football, you're playing the ME. 

The best conversion rate comes from wing players who are fast, can cut inside and score. I find it pointless to try and implement a counter attacking style because if you get a quick through ball to your striker who is one on one with the keeper he'll miss most of the time. Defensively you're at the mercy of AI set pieces and long shots. 

My point is, why bother playing when I am limited to specific tactical styles and methods of scoring? Sure it's possible to implement different styles but the conversion rate makes you far less successful. 

For me, if one on one's had a better success rate and AI set pieces were massively toned back then I'd say the ME would be in acceptable condition. But how SI let this ME, the AI Set pieces get through them is beyond me. 

The point is that the more you play the game, the more certain things become obvious. You aren't playing Football, you're playing the ME. 

The best conversion rate comes from wing players who are fast, can cut inside and score. I find it pointless to try and implement a counter attacking style because if you get a quick through ball to your striker who is one on one with the keeper he'll miss most of the time. Defensively you're at the mercy of AI set pieces and long shots. 

My point is, why bother playing when I am limited to specific tactical styles and methods of scoring? Sure it's possible to implement different styles but the conversion rate makes you far less successful. 

For me, if one on one's had a better success rate and AI set pieces were massively toned back then I'd say the ME would be in acceptable condition. But how SI let this ME, the AI Set pieces get through them is beyond me. 

i guess im the lucky one here then. 70% or 44% possession i still can win. even managed to FMed the AI a few times. currently on a run of 13th clean sheet.(hopefully i dont jinx it:D) initially conceding quite a lot from set pieces but i reviewed my set up carefully and make some tweaks and has been seeing way less set pieces conceded now. just scored a one on one from a corner counter from a recent game. u can play all kinds of playing style if u look closely at the tactics forum.

what do u mean by playing the ME? are u referring to the previous versions where there is a certain tactic that is OP? (3 strikers tactic anyone?)

Well this is precisely what I'm getting at and where my concerns are based - limited ways of playing and scoring and that bring enjoyment. I've done well in FM20, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy with how I was winning games. It seemed my tactics were played out to a very limited extent and the goals were mostly nerfed towards set pieces or cross to back post for small winger to head in....or, fullback with barely any long range shooting ability spanking one in from the edge of the area.

I've gone back to FM18. Not perfect as far as ME is concerned, but much more rewarding from a tactical implementation standpoint. 

16 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

i guess im the lucky one here then. 70% or 44% possession i still can win. even managed to FMed the AI a few times. currently on a run of 13th clean sheet.(hopefully i dont jinx it:D) initially conceding quite a lot from set pieces but i reviewed my set up carefully and make some tweaks and has been seeing way less set pieces conceded now. just scored a one on one from a corner counter from a recent game. u can play all kinds of playing style if u look closely at the tactics forum.

what do u mean by playing the ME? are u referring to the previous versions where there is a certain tactic that is OP? (3 strikers tactic anyone?)

It's not about winning. It's about how the win happens. See the post below you.

Just now, Kingstontom88 said:

Well this is precisely what I'm getting at and where my concerns are based - limited ways of playing and scoring and that bring enjoyment. I've done well in FM20, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy with how I was winning games. It seemed my tactics were played out to a very limited extent and the goals were mostly nerfed towards set pieces or cross to back post for small winger to head in....or, fullback with barely any long range shooting ability spanking one in from the edge of the area.

I've gone back to FM18. Not perfect as far as ME is concerned, but much more rewarding from a tactical implementation standpoint. 

Exactly. I've had a lot of success on FM20, but it is never really "me". I'm just doing what needs to be done to get the win given the glaring problems with the ME. Win I set up a high pressing, counter attack 4-4-2 I expect to see more winning goals from through balls to the forward, rather than an inverted wing-back smacking it from 35 yards which is probably more common in my games.

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

It's not about winning. It's about how the win happens. See the post below you.

i get all sorts of goals so far. currently playing a tiki taka style and most of my goals come from the central area. a small portion from set pieces and a few from crosses which seems pretty normal to me. on another team of the same save i play a wing style which rely heavily on crosses to the strikers. both work well for me. i have played like 5 very different tactics in the current ME and all work according to plan. maybe im just lucky?