Football Manager 2009 trailer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Miles says, this is aimed at new customers and not people like us. In text book marketing terms there is a process that customers go through: Attention - Interest - Desire - Action.

We all move very quickly through the first three as we are looking for information on the new game, so the advert is not really aimed at us. Instead the advert brings the game to the attention of the FM virgins, which then spurs them to seek out information about the game (the interest part) from the website, friends, magazines or the dvd back cover which hopefully then sparks desire to buy the game and the actually action of buying the game.

So in text book marketing terms, I think the ad is spot on.

I didn't like it, the premise is good but watching bibbed players mess about on a training field doesn't set the heart racing so the contrast being sought doesn't come off. Plus the hand-clapping motif is pretty gay. </constructive criticism>

Great advert very smooth sums up everything that's involved in being a manager, which bits are going to fit into 20 seconds, by the way Miles the song ' Black loves ' by Goose, absolutey fantastics, superb song.

p.s. Miles you should of been the manager in the advert that said ' It's what i do '. :)

i really dont know why your all getting worked up about how good the ad looks i mean your already gonna buy it so you dont have to like it really tbh !! they hopin it will bring in more players but thats for them to worry about ! ! i like the ad but even if i didnt its not like it would put me off buying it.

Fantastic ad Miles. Sent a shiver down my spine. My wife just doesnt get the whole 'Its what I do ' thing. She just moans every time I load up the game. I will be playing because it's what I do, just like I have done over the past 12 years since CM 96. Cheers SI

This is what I have to say about the trailer...its pure garbage and thats an honest opinion. Why have something boring? Why not put in actual gameplay 3D footage?...Why not show it off to make it more appealing? If I never played FM that trailer wouldn't make me think about buying the game or even bothering with it.

Basically a pure waste of time if anyone asked me!

It's ok... but I think last years "what if" trailer would have had a far greater effect on a new, mainstream TV audience. :)

Saying that though, SI would get slated by some people if they used the same ad two years running and last years trailer is virtually 2 minutes long which doesn't really make it cost effective for TV.

I'm sure it might grow on me, but some of the advert doesn't intimate whether its a footy management or a footy playing game like PES or FIFA, where as last years was pretty obvious what the trailer was about.

Anyhow, I hope the trailer is beneficial for you. :thup:

Who's the manager in the video?

He's got Phil Brown's stubble and jawline, but it's obviously not him - anyone famous?

To be honest the representation of the manager in the trailer reminds me more of Roy Keane than it does Phil Brown. Clearly it's not Keane, but that's who this puts in my mind.

i think this is a basic marketing error to produce an ad that has nothing to do with the product. I would expect to see at least one of the key features such as the 3d engine. Show me a menu option, show me anything at all to do with the actual product. It's kind of like watching a McDonald's commercial where all we see is people eating food but not necessarily the food that McDonald's sells. Sure it gets me interested in eating food, but not necessarily the golden arches. Watching this ad made me want to watch a football match, but not for one second did it make me want to book a vacation day on the day of release. If this is a trailer like the title suggests, this goes down as the first trailer I've ever seen without ever seeing the product. Leads me to believe this game is not weeks away from distribution. That's just my two cents.

Was quite good, got the feeling though that it was trying slightly too hard to be a really cool advert, like the people who came up with it overthought everything a bit too much where as in the past FM trailers have been unique and cool. Thats the only minus points from me, but still a good effort.

i think this is a basic marketing error to produce an ad that has nothing to do with the product. I would expect to see at least one of the key features such as the 3d engine. Show me a menu option, show me anything at all to do with the actual product. It's kind of like watching a McDonald's commercial where all we see is people eating food but not necessarily the food that McDonald's sells. Sure it gets me interested in eating food, but not necessarily the golden arches. Watching this ad made me want to watch a football match, but not for one second did it make me want to book a vacation day on the day of release. If this is a trailer like the title suggests, this goes down as the first trailer I've ever seen without ever seeing the product. Leads me to believe this game is not weeks away from distribution. That's just my two cents.

Exactly how does an ad depicting a manager in a press conference, taking training and following his players out of the tunnel before the match have nothing to do with the product? It's not exactly cryptic.

FM is about fueling the imagination, but it looks like a spreadsheet to the uninitiated. Advertising it's strength rather than it's apparent weakness is a good move. The uninitiated are not going to be won over by text based screenshots and the 3D, while a welcome addition is not exactly cutting edge.

There is no marketing error - trust me, this is 100% text book marketing. The aim is to create awareness of the product, not to demonstrate it. It is how the entire marketing industry works.

Warburton's created brand awareness without showing the product. We all know what women on roller skates are advertising, but we never see anyone using the product. It might seem like an error not to show the product, but it does work.

The point about not taking a day off work on release day is irrelevant too. Ads like this are not aimed at 'early adopters'.

• SI Staff

If you haven't seen any advertisements that don't show the product then you don't watch very many. We're out of the 80's now where ads are more about making you think about things rather than a demonstration of the product. How many of the recent PlayStation adverts make sense?

The ad will raise awareness about Football Manager to those who see it and let people know that the new version is coming out.

If you haven't seen any advertisements that don't show the product then you don't watch very many. We're out of the 80's now where ads are more about making you think about things rather than a demonstration of the product. How many of the recent PlayStation adverts make sense?

The ad will raise awareness about Football Manager to those who see it and let people know that the new version is coming out.

i have never before seen an ad for a computer game that doesn't show either actual game footage or cut scenes. certainly not one that has a whole seventy seconds to fill.

i don't think this ad will do anything to raise si's customer base. word of mouth and the series' longevity do enough to gain the game new customers, a gaudy ad with no actual content, that does nothing more than tell prospective buyers that the game involves being a football manager (the clue's in the title) will have little effect.

Lets be honest, do Cologne/Perfume adverts make one bit of sense whatsoever? Do they normally have anything to do with the actual product? Yet people still buy the products. This ad will raise awarenes of FM 09 to people that dont know about it, exactly what its intended for! As someone else stated on here, it doesnt matter to any of us on the forums as we are just slightly aware of FM 09 already lol

Personally I didn't see anything in that ad that would make me go out and buy the game. Putting myself in the mindset of somebody who has never played the game before I would be left wondering what was actually being advertised. Ok you show the game at the end, so if you pick up on the name of the game you might be able to guess what it is all about, but maybe something to indicate what the game is about if the ad really is targetted at noobs.

Personally I didn't see anything in that ad that would make me go out and buy the game. Putting myself in the mindset of somebody who has never played the game before I would be left wondering what was actually being advertised. Ok you show the game at the end, so if you pick up on the name of the game you might be able to guess what it is all about, but maybe something to indicate what the game is about if the ad really is targetted at noobs.

But perhaps by not giving everything away in the ad this will make people interested and want to know more about this game! Plus, with the title being Football Manager it does give it away abit what the game is all about! Maybe im wrong and the ad will flop, im not in advertising, just my personal opinion that i think it will do the job!

Some of you just don't understand marketing at all

The ad isn't made to give everyone an in-depth look at the games features, it's there to provoke interest and grab the attention of football fans who are unaware that FM exists; and seeing as the ad will be played between a champions league game, the audience will be perfect and I guarantee you it will do it's job of getting a lot of attention

Now suddenly these football fans who were once unaware of FM will search on the internet for information on it, they may even end up on this forum. This is now the point at which they find out about the features and their interest continues to rise, probably leading to them buying the game

"Its what i do"

When i heard that i felt an odd sense of pride well up inside me and i smiled. Football manager is what i do and i would like to thank SI for reminding me of it :)

Its very true of FM that there is some inexplicable aspect to it that wont let me go and to try to capture that sense of pride is admirable

Roll on FM09

p.s (it should have had Miles in it though ;))

Its an ok trailer, I like the Fm 08 trailer much more! (If you can keep your head when all about you are loosing there's and blaming it on you! Or live to the short sighted board who are demanding more for less .. etc) Watched that one over and over sent chills down my neck ha ha.

But still can't wait for Fm 09 to come out though :D

f**k me

people analysing an advert

just enjoy it for what it is

jesus wept

Good work SI

People get paid vast amounts in market research and advertising to do precisely that mate. The critcisms evident in this thread do seem to illustrate a certain ignorance of how advertising can and does work. No complaints from me. Well executed bit of work, great tone and a fantastic final line, clearly designed to raise product awareness and intrigue potential customers as well as inform the initiated.

Archived