FM18 BLUE MATTER Knap 433

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain to me why the wing backs are inverted wing backs and what benefits there are from this role within the tactic? I love this tactic so much but it's hard to find players who suit that role. Has anyone changed them to wing backs and if so, what was the effect? 

32 minutes ago, dewhirst said:

Can someone explain to me why the wing backs are inverted wing backs and what benefits there are from this role within the tactic? I love this tactic so much but it's hard to find players who suit that role. Has anyone changed them to wing backs and if so, what was the effect? 

Inverted Wing Backs mean that when your team is in possession they act like central midfielders and move inside to offer support. They won't offer the width of a traditional wing back (running down the sideline) but play more narrow in general. It should be noted that you still want a right-footed player as your RB and a lefty at LB.

A typical example for this would be FC Bayern under Guardiola -  Both wing backs (usually Alaba at DL and Lahm or Rafinha at DR) routinely supported the midfielders in possession, leaving the 2 centre-backs (usually Hummels & Boateng) completely on their own.

When you look at the test side you can see how few players are bright green. These players are not re trained for the test but you can in training re train the position required and with also playing in role the players should be more effective.

It is probably worth downloading the trial full game  so you can download tactic and take all the PI and set piece information. At this stage I'm sure all the tactics will get tweaked.

The odd thing is I am using FMT but for PC, so puzzled why same download system cannot be used.

Hello everyone,

I’m on my phone at the minute, but I’ve been using this tactic with Newcastle first season and the results have been f**king nuts! I’m top of the league at Christmas by 9 points! I beat Arsenal away 7-0 Chelsea at home 6-0 and some other absolutely awesome results I’ll have to show you all when I’m on my laptop! Bought Kasper Dolberg and he’s so far scored I think it’s 34 league goals in 24 or 25 games! For Newcastle! 

Again I’ll show anyone any screen shots they want! I’m 33 years of age and played FM since it was called  Championship Manager! And i honestly think this is the best tactic I’ve ever used! 

Cheers @knapp...

How on earth have I just lost 5-1 away to a just promoted Barnsley, with an amazing lfc team? I'm finding this quite successful but when the tactic fails, boy does it fail badly, especially away from home.

The tactic was 99% fluid, third game of the season. I've shipped 9 goals in 3 matches. Just bear in mind I'd won the league and got to final of champions cup the season before.

Any tips?

2 minutes ago, knap said:

Probably reputation!

In general I prefer attack, so I do not try to seal any defence holes if they can have an attacking advantage.

And a bang average striker scored 4 absolute worldy goals against me. Go figure. It makes me wonder about the ME in this version.

I've using this tactic in Italian lower divisions, and won 3 straight promotions: 6th level Promozione, 5th level Eccellenza, and 4th level Serie D:

image.thumb.png.ce3c10330e9181596c3edff118c6de2c.png

Serie D was the hardest, predicted mid-table after tons of signins, expectations were "Fight bravely against relegation", and we eneded up with the record of consecutive wins right at the end of the season:

image.thumb.png.5fbcf750289a7b46b604d3b795fcb4d1.png

image.thumb.png.60737202a9fa95fd4ffc42299b4c3ea5.png

Thanks!

The Mr L tweak is working very well for my Fulham & England sides (just completed the 2020/21 season). Hoping using it for the full season will help me finally topple Utd at the top of the league and or finally compete in the latter stages of the UCL.

When playing big sides I have found decent success switching to a Counter - Structured system and moving the IWB to defend.

Great work.

18 hours ago, MattyOlav said:

I've using this tactic in Italian lower divisions, and won 3 straight promotions: 6th level Promozione, 5th level Eccellenza, and 4th level Serie D:

image.thumb.png.ce3c10330e9181596c3edff118c6de2c.png

Serie D was the hardest, predicted mid-table after tons of signins, expectations were "Fight bravely against relegation", and we eneded up with the record of consecutive wins right at the end of the season:

image.thumb.png.5fbcf750289a7b46b604d3b795fcb4d1.png

image.thumb.png.60737202a9fa95fd4ffc42299b4c3ea5.png

Thanks!

Which league update did you use for this save? Been after an italian lower league datebase that actually works!

Archived